OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 202, 203, 204 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Christopher C wrote:
defense wrote:
Bipolar mofos

Hart suck
Hart good
Lonzo suck
Lonzo good
Zubac suck
Zubac good

I, for one, have never said Hart, Lonzo, or Zubac suck.

Then you are a friend
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Didn't zubac do better than Brook today?

Who's Brook?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
epak wrote:

Who's Brook?

Brook Lopez.
He plays center for your Los Angeles Lakers.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Zubac was hittin the glass today. It was refreshing to have a rebounding c5 out there. Ready for Zub to fill in big for all LNJ's minutes. With that soft shooting touch, he should be able to hit a few threes as well.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Well this performance should help Luke understand he needs to play Zubac MORE and Lopez LESS....!
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Loved Zubac tonight.

Lopez can't be gone soon enough
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully he builds on this and gets back to the Zu that ended last year.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Breakout game for Zu after a year in the wilderness. Hope he gets some play because of this.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Had to drop by to make myself feel better after the loss.

Zubac - dammit he needs floor time with the Lakers, not the G League. One bright spot in a frustrating loss.

I'm getting sick of our version of small ball at all costs, when opposing bigs are killing us inside.

Problem with this is, I'm getting sick of seeing the 2 rebound zero inside scoring attempt version of Brook posing as a large center on his off nights.

19/11 and 100% shooting. In just under 20 minutes. And a NASTY 2 man game alongside Isaiah Thomas. Against the Wolves and the mighty KAT in Minnesota.

I'm gonna pretend for the next 8 days that when Laker games resume we're gonna see Zubac out there on a nightly basis.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Zubac played decent last season. He got stiffed this year
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
55 wrote:
epak wrote:

Who's Brook?

Brook Lopez.
He plays center for your Los Angeles Lakers.

Sometimes.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
We forget how good Zu was last year. Tonight he showed signs but he still doesnt have his rhythm. Sad to see Nance go but hopefully it opens up a spot for Zu in the rotation.

If for nothing else, build that trade value.

Just a reminder of how good Zu was last year

Zuuuuuu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Welcome back Zubac from last season. Did somebody tell him the season starts today?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
We forget how good Zu was last year. Tonight he showed signs but he still doesnt have his rhythm. Sad to see Nance go but hopefully it opens up a spot for Zu in the rotation.

Zuuuuuu

How good was his defense last year?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Oh now ya'll remember why you were excited about Zu last season?

For the record, Zu's been killing it in practice and outplaying some of the bigs in drills, as well as dominating in the G-League.

He also dedicated himself this off-season, though there was a thousand different things occupying his mind in Summer League which attributed to his 'disengaged' performance, he didn't use it as an excuse. Canceled his vacations and dedicated the entire rest of the summer to working on his body and his game.

He went out there tonight and showed what we've been missing out on.

hard to show it, when he got no consistent minutes, nor a chance from Walton at all.

Zubac should have been our starting center this year in a season where we continued to focus primarily on our young talent. But alas, too late for that now.

Maybe he can finally get some consistent minutes, but it is Luke we're talking about. if he finds something that works, he goes away from it till we go on a 9 game losing streak and then decides to try out "that thing that was effective" finally.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Zuuuuuu

How good was his defense last year?

One of best in the league for most of year defending the rim. Horrible in space.
rami34
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject:

As difficult a decision to trade away Nance, it results in more minutes for Kuzma/Zubac and opportunity to develop further.

Zu looked tentative and not fully in sync earlier in season, in limited minutes. But looks a lot more comfortable and decisive now.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Ivica has always been a baller if only the Lakers focused on development instead wasting time with cadavers like Bogut.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Summer League he just seemed to be drained by Magic’s body fat % mandate. Not to fault Magic. He wanted to run this team up and down. Zu has had to acclimate. He’s in a real nice place.

His help defense, his tip boards to his teammates, blocking out, and his quickness getting up and down, him diving on the floor for loose balls. I’m lovin it. Very much LNJ - whatever it takes to get my team the win scrappiness.

He needs to work on the p/r timing. It’s off a lil. Set that pick, space his roll... if his man bodies up, spin for the lob, if he backs off, show off the mid range touch, in rhythm.

By now he can use his instincts and start to play with real confidence.

Get em, Zu.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

For the record, Zu's been killing it in practice and outplaying some of the bigs in drills, as well as dominating in the G-League.

He also dedicated himself this off-season, though there was a thousand different things occupying his mind in Summer League which attributed to his 'disengaged' performance, he didn't use it as an excuse. Canceled his vacations and dedicated the entire rest of the summer to working on his body and his game.

He went out there tonight and showed what we've been missing out on.

hard to show it, when he got no consistent minutes, nor a chance from Walton at all.

Zubac should have been our starting center this year in a season where we continued to focus primarily on our young talent. But alas, too late for that now.

Maybe he can finally get some consistent minutes, but it is Luke we're talking about. if he finds something that works, he goes away from it till we go on a 9 game losing streak and then decides to try out "that thing that was effective" finally.

He looked like a legitimate stiff in Summer League. I have no idea what was going on. He looked like a night-and-day difference from his Summer League as a rookie. He was fumbling everything and just looked incredibly lethargic, and I am well aware that he's never going to be considered a nimble mover.

But maybe he's put that behind him and he's getting back to what we saw last season. I don't think he's ever going to confuse anyone for a mobile big, but perhaps I wrote him off too quickly, especially because I really was high on him as a rookie. I don't want to overreact to one great game, but he does deserve an opportunity after the All-Star break. Let's hope he can keep this up.

It's just really hard to watch Lopez and his Houdini act on rebounds.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Its the most Zu has been utilized by the Lakers since D'Angelo was here making those same pick n role plays like Isaiah.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject:

I always believed in Zubac. If there is a big who can consistently hit a hook shot and play solid D....

Zubac was the odd man out with Lopez, Randle, Kuzma and Nance 'penciled in' as Luke put it. How he came to the summer league out of shape did not help his case.
Now that Nance's spot opened up he will get his chance. I actually think it all worked out very well. He received a message that you are not given anything. If you come in unprepared for the season, consider the consequences. But he has a chance. Good game today. Now, keep it up and go earn yourself a name.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
Its the most Zu has been utilized by the Lakers since D'Angelo was here making those same pick n role plays like Isaiah.

Yeah, I agree. I thought he could be effective in the pick-and-roll when he was a rookie, and we did see that tonight with IT. Perhaps we'll see it with Lonzo once he returns.
Agramer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Shaber wrote:
How he came to the summer league out of shape did not help his case.
If you come in unprepared for the season, consider the consequences. But he has a chance.

he came in out of shape to his rookie summer league and surprised everyone with good play. this year, he was in middle of fitness training with Lakers fitness staff and he looked out of place because of that.

he spent all of his off season in LA training, so you can't say that he was unprepared for the season, it's just that when there was a chance for Lakers to sign Bogut , Lakers went for it and Zubac's playing time went down (while probably he learned a lot from Bogut on defense)
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Yeah, I would have been more worried about him if I wasn't peeking at the G-League once in a while to see that Zubac was indeed dominating. That certainly puts one at ease if the Lakers ever decide to give him some consistent playing time at the next level.

Quote:

Two things about that. One is that Zubac is still very young. While Ball and Ingram are about the same age, they are lottery guys, and there's more pressure for a team to commit to those guys early. Item two is this frustrating trend to turn big men into "stretch fives". The game is won in the paint, unless you have a collection of shooters like Golden State. Zubac can knock down shots from the elbow, which I think should be good enough, but he doesn't extend to the arc.

I think this trend has also hurt Lopez's game this year. Although he began knocking down 3's last season, he's also still a good post player. But he seldom gets those opportunities anymore.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 202, 203, 204 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 203 of 290
Jump to: