OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 216, 217, 218 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Judah wrote:
Trevacious2 wrote:
Yeah, I wanna expect he shows up in this summer league to redeem himself and bring the excitement back.

Guys who are going into their third year in the league don't usually play in SL. Magic ruled out Lonzo and Kuz but confirmed that Hart and T. Bryant (assuming he's still on the team by then) will play. No mention of Zu. I don't think we needed it as confirmation, but the drafting of Big Moe all but assures that Zu’s time is up. I'm hoping that another team picks him up by training camp, but there's a real possibility that he won't be in the league next year. I'm still shocked at how awful he was this year.

to be honest If we went by the best three bigs skillwise on our team between Zu, Bryant and Mo.

Bryant would be the least polished and he'd be the odd one out.

For all the Bryant love, his rookie season doesn't come close to Zubac's rookie season (though rookie Zu was a year younger than rookie Thomas). Heck, Bryant's one season doesn't compare to Zubac's worst season (last season).
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Zu seems like a really good guy. Problem is that he’s not a good defender, not a great rebounder

???

He's the Lakers' best rebounder. And although he took a step sideways last year, he's still a good rim-protector and strong defensively in the post. Just can't defend on the perimeter.

Even if switch-everything is the style of play you want most of the time, you still need guys like that on the inside a lot of the time. You need to have that flexibility, because switch-everything is not always going to work if you don't have somebody who can defend the post 1-on-1.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Judah wrote:
Trevacious2 wrote:
Yeah, I wanna expect he shows up in this summer league to redeem himself and bring the excitement back.

Guys who are going into their third year in the league don't usually play in SL. Magic ruled out Lonzo and Kuz but confirmed that Hart and T. Bryant (assuming he's still on the team by then) will play. No mention of Zu. I don't think we needed it as confirmation, but the drafting of Big Moe all but assures that Zu’s time is up. I'm hoping that another team picks him up by training camp, but there's a real possibility that he won't be in the league next year. I'm still shocked at how awful he was this year.

to be honest If we went by the best three bigs skillwise on our team between Zu, Bryant and Mo.

Bryant would be the least polished and he'd be the odd one out.

But his upside is probably higher than Zu's. And his shooting could become elite. They're all three still relatively young so I see no reason to just give up on Zu entirely.

Upside is one thing. Zu is only a year older than him. He's 21, Bryant is 20.

Zu is all of four months older than Bryant. His rookie season was a year younger than Bryant's, yet better. His second season was a slight step back, and still better than Bryant's. If we're betting on upside between these two, I'd bet on Zubac.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject:

Zubac is by far the better overall player. No doubt I need my mind. However, Bryant can shoot, so he’s the better fit next to two (or three) superstars.

If I’m picking between Zubac or Bryant in aoickuo game at the YMCA, I’m picking Zubac ten out of ten times. If I’m picking the guy to play alongside Ball, James, George, and Ingram, I’m picking Bryant — although I still think Bryant needs another year of seasoning playing behind Frye to truly figure it out. His time to play regular rotation minutes will be next year (after Deng and Frye are gone).
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

Zubac looked terrible this year. Lumbering even more than his rookie season. It wasn’t a step sideways it was a step backwards. What was the story there? He looked like a rising star after last season.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

I missed the draft, I did record it though, sitting at the beach the Hard Rock Hotel in Puerta Vallarta, sipping a drink, I can say it looks like the Zubac experiment is nearing its conclusion, he will do fine in Europe
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I missed the draft, I did record it though, sitting at the beach the Hard Rock Hotel in Puerta Vallarta, sipping a drink, I can say it looks like the Zubac experiment is nearing its conclusion, he will do fine in Europe

You can be sure that if the Lakers don't want him, there's gonna be a few NBA teams who will find him useful. He won't have to play in Europe.
VocabuLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:

6 more days till Zubac is waived. The Lakers can waive him at the latest June 30th to save cash for the summer stash.

Not saying I like or dislike him.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

How's the weather? I'll be in PV next month.
VocabuLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Really nice this time of year, actually all year

Zubac on to new things next Saturday.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

You can be sure that if the Lakers don't want him, there's gonna be a few NBA teams who will find him useful. He won't have to play in Europe.

I agree. He just turned 21 a few months ago. He'll find a team. Remember Randle didn't show much improvement in his 2nd year (3rd year of his contract), then he took a leap this year.

Zu is still a project but I thought he showed promise in his rookie year. Perhaps his body just didn't react well to losing weight his 2nd year. He very well might take a leap next season. He shouldn't have a problem finding a team.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

VocabuLaker wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Really nice this time of year, actually all year

Zubac on to new things next Saturday.

I went in August last year and it was muggy and humid. I was either in the pool or in my room, so it didn't really bother me much. But for my fam who mostly like to lounge in the sun, they didn't enjoy it. Just looking forward to margaritas and salsa/guac all day erryday.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Zu is more skilled overall and probably even has more functional physical talent for the NBA right now, with how stiff TB was coming in. But for him to maximize that skill, he needs the ball and he needs post-ups, both of which are not going to happen much in our offense and generally don't equate to winning basketball nowadays.

He had those opportunities in 2017 because we were essentially in extended garbage time and tanking, so of course he looked better then. Last year when we were actually trying to win, he was asked to play a role that he's not naturally good at and has had trouble embracing (whether in his control or not), which is the dirty work, the rebounding on both ends, finishing strong when he does get the ball inside, etc. It also didn't help that our pace went up when he's more built for half-court ball. There's no way he can keep up in transition with the way we play, whether on offense or defense, for even 15-20 MPG. And then there's the cherry on top, our switching defense. In short, what he is, what he does best, his weaknesses - they're all at odds with who we are as a team now.

Maybe he was briefly seen as a core piece at the end of the 2017 season, but adding Zo changed up the equation (never mind just the general shift away from players like him across the NBA), which we saw as early as the summer league. Potentially adding Lebron just doubles up on that, so he's as good as gone at this point. I really do hope he finds his niche somewhere in the NBA eventually, but it's going to be an uphill battle.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Would like to keep Zu, I believe he will be a solid back up 5 in this league. We just dont have the space now with Wagner/Thomas Bryant. Would prefer we added a banger to compliment those guys (Tarik Black,Bogut, Amir Johnson, Zaza)
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Zu is more skilled overall and probably even has more functional physical talent for the NBA right now, with how stiff TB was coming in. But for him to maximize that skill, he needs the ball and he needs post-ups, both of which are not going to happen much in our offense and generally don't equate to winning basketball nowadays.

He had those opportunities in 2017 because we were essentially in extended garbage time and tanking, so of course he looked better then. Last year when we were actually trying to win, he was asked to play a role that he's not naturally good at and has had trouble embracing (whether in his control or not), which is the dirty work, the rebounding on both ends, finishing strong when he does get the ball inside, etc. It also didn't help that our pace went up when he's more built for half-court ball. There's no way he can keep up in transition with the way we play, whether on offense or defense, for even 15-20 MPG. And then there's the cherry on top, our switching defense. In short, what he is, what he does best, his weaknesses - they're all at odds with who we are as a team now.

Maybe he was briefly seen as a core piece at the end of the 2017 season, but adding Zo changed up the equation (never mind just the general shift away from players like him across the NBA), which we saw as early as the summer league. Potentially adding Lebron just doubles up on that, so he's as good as gone at this point. I really do hope he finds his niche somewhere in the NBA eventually, but it's going to be an uphill battle.

Yeap, our offense shifted too much for zubac to have the same impact he had his rookie season.

We lost 3 pnr players in Louwill, dlo and JC.

Zubac will find a starting place on another team easily, however, for the time being, the lakers won't be it sadly.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Would like to keep Zu, I believe he will be a solid back up 5 in this league. We just dont have the space now with Wagner/Thomas Bryant. Would prefer we added a banger to compliment those guys (Tarik Black,Bogut, Amir Johnson, Zaza)

Yeah with Wagner and Bryant I think Zu has seen his last days with the Lakers
VocabuLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Yeah with Wagner and Bryant I think Zu has seen his last days with the Lakers

We will know by June 30th, although I do not know the rules regarding bringing back a player that is waived.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

How do you explain slow as molasses Brook Lopez playing 20-25 minutes last year?

There is a place for Big and Strong big men in regards to defense. That's where Brook was effective as is Adams, Nurkic, others. Let Zu grow into his man strength then see what he can do.

Randle is great on switches but even as strong as he is he gets overpowered by the bigger centers in the league. You need someone who can match up to big bigs and Bryant is also not the answer.

Bryant is the favored child due to his 3 pt shot. I watched him quite a bit in the G-league and he often got beat on the first step regardless of who he was defending. He would fit nicely in a role as an energy big and offensive spark.

What has Bryant done to deserve a spot over Zubac? G-league? Look at their stats. Besides 3pt shooting they are comparable if not in Zu's favor.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

Yeap, our offense shifted too much for zubac to have the same impact he had his rookie season.

We lost 3 pnr players in Louwill, dlo and JC.

Zubac will find a starting place on another team easily, however, for the time being, the lakers won't be it sadly.

You're both aware that Zubac was most effective in the pick and roll right?

This is what I mean when I said that people go that he's just a lumbering post up center.

Why? Because of how he looks?

Watching his game, he's been the most effective for us, in his off-ball movement and the pick and roll. He's very good at both of those things.

So no, he's not the "post up euro center the game has passed by" from anyone that's really watched him and where he has been effective.

he's been one of our better pick and roll centers, and it's because he knows where to be on offense and has a soft touch around the rim.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

There aren't very many people out there who root for Zubac more than me.
But he's a bad fit with Randle. And Randle is the better player.
So Zu might have to go. I still think he can be a Nurkic-like player if he finds the right fit.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Zu and Randle looked pretty fine next to each other when they played last year.

By that I mean they didn't get in each other's way. That + Zubac's off ball movement is what made that happen and the fact Zubac was better in the pick and roll and got that more than he got posts ups when Luke actually ran those plays for him, mostly with Thomas.

Like I said you see where Zu is most effective, he fits just fine with our style of play.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
There aren't very many people out there who root for Zubac more than me.
But he's a bad fit with Randle. And Randle is the better player.
So Zu might have to go. I still think he can be a Nurkic-like player if he finds the right fit.

I am sure there are others but at least yourself, MJIST and I see and believe in the talent.

Besides post play he has a very good mid-range shot, just doesn't use it in actual NBA games as I feel he holds back wanting to be a team player. Did show it in the G-league as he is more aggressive to score.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Gotta take your shots if it’s the right shot. He just looks less physically durable to me vs his rookie season.
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject:

Ivica Zubac Highlights (Croatia vs Bosnia & Herzegovina) — 28 pts (11/13 FG), 12 rbs, 2 blks

Zu looks a lot quicker/explosive, but I don't know how good this level of competition is.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Weather has been perfect, I was really worried as the weather websites showed rain everyday and we have seen zero! Temps in the mid 80’s with a bit of humidity... here Wed (20) to Wed (27)
Recommended...!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 216, 217, 218 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 217 of 290
Jump to: