OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Agramer wrote:
MJST wrote:

Zubac can play, whether or not the Lakers treat him like "the one they didn't pick for greatness" and thus mis-utilize him while we watch another team get him and reap the benefits is up to them. But the kid has a lot of talent and can be of use to this team if he's given the opportunity. It's just about them giving him the opportunity. We already know the "earn it" rhetoric is bull. So it's really up to them to give him play time.

i predict right now, that if Zubac has a good season, most of people here will dismiss it as "oh, it's just because of LeBron". He'll profit from playing with LeBron for sure, but also his talent will have something to do with it

if Zubac puts up 15/9 with 1 block a game this year which shows vast improvement,

A good season for Zubac will be 10/7 with 1.5 blocks per game. He won't be needed for scoring with the many options available and he has always shown to be a good rebounder and rim protector. He should improve defensively with the loss in weight and better conditioning/strength.

If he has a good season it will be interesting to see what his market value is and if the Lakers will resign him.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject:

It's a make or break season for Zubac this year. They showed some confidence in him by going into the year with he and McGee (who will play limited minutes) as their primary centers. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

As a rookie Zubac showed a lot of promise. He hit a sophomore slump in his second season, and I honestly was surprised they choose him over Bryant this Summer.

He still has the promise he showed as a rookie though. The honus is on him to prove he deserves the roster spot. I don't know which direction that is going to go in. I love his potential in the pick and roll. I worry about his mobility on defense.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
It's a make or break season for Zubac this year. They showed some confidence in him by going into the year with he and McGee (who will play limited minutes) as their primary centers. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

As a rookie Zubac showed a lot of promise. He hit a sophomore slump in his second season, and I honestly was surprised they choose him over Bryant this Summer.

He still has the promise he showed as a rookie though. The honus is on him to prove he deserves the roster spot. I don't know which direction that is going to go in. I love his potential in the pick and roll. I worry about his mobility on defense.

The thing with Bryant is he may be worse in moving laterally than Zubac. He has good straight forward speed but laterally very poor.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
MJST wrote:
if Zubac puts up 15/9 with 1 block a game this year which shows vast improvement,

A good season for Zubac will be 10/7 with 1.5 blocks per game.

If Zubac averages 10-15 points with 7-9 rebounds in fewer than 28 minutes, I would be extraordinarily happy.

Good rebounders can get 1 every 4 minutes or so. Excellent rebounders can get 1 every 3 minutes. League leaders, like Drummond and Deandre Jordan, can pull down one every 2 minutes. Randle last year pulled one down every 3.3 minutes, Kuzma got 1 every 5.3 minutes approximately and James averaged about one in every 4.5 minutes.

If Zubac averages 7-9 rebounds in 28 minutes while playing good/excellent defense, Laker fans should be very happy.

--Anonymous
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
MJST wrote:
Agramer wrote:
MJST wrote:

Zubac can play, whether or not the Lakers treat him like "the one they didn't pick for greatness" and thus mis-utilize him while we watch another team get him and reap the benefits is up to them. But the kid has a lot of talent and can be of use to this team if he's given the opportunity. It's just about them giving him the opportunity. We already know the "earn it" rhetoric is bull. So it's really up to them to give him play time.

i predict right now, that if Zubac has a good season, most of people here will dismiss it as "oh, it's just because of LeBron". He'll profit from playing with LeBron for sure, but also his talent will have something to do with it

A good season for Zubac will be 10/7 with 1.5 blocks per game. He won't be needed for scoring with the many options available and he has always shown to be a good rebounder and rim protector. He should improve defensively with the loss in weight and better conditioning/strength.

If he has a good season it will be interesting to see what his market value is and if the Lakers will resign him.

I'm not saying that's not realistic but...okay that's just not realistic. Unless he's playing 35 minutes a game those numbers would put him in a pretty elite group and even then he would be close to elite.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

The thing with Bryant is he may be worse in moving laterally than Zubac. He has good straight forward speed but laterally very poor.

He is worse, but a part of what makes that argument frustrating is, Zubac had more time to work on it.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

He is worse, but a part of what makes that argument frustrating is, Zubac had more time to work on it.

The release of Bryant fairly early in the off season was curious to me. This led me to believe there was some other reason outside of talent that factored into the FO/Coaches decision to release him.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

The release of Bryant fairly early in the off season was curious to me. This led me to believe there was some other reason outside of talent that factored into the FO/Coaches decision to release him.

More than likely, the FO was just trying to give Bryant as favorable a chance to sign with another team as possible.
There are very limited #'s of spots for guys like Bryant, and those spots tend to disappear pretty fast. By releasing him early, the FO gave him the biggest chance to grab one of those spots
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Yueh Fei Returns
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject:

Agramer wrote:
MJST wrote:

Yes, I agree that will definitely happen. And I say to those naysayers, what is wrong with that? He's putting up those numbers as a center on the Lakers. Getting your youngsters to have break-out years just helps the team overall, short term and long term.

If Zubac averages 10/6 he will be a very nice asset in a trade. No extra pick is too low for our scouting department.
Yueh Fei Returns
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

More than likely, the FO was just trying to give Bryant as favorable a chance to sign with another team as possible.
There are very limited #'s of spots for guys like Bryant, and those spots tend to disappear pretty fast. By releasing him early, the FO gave him the biggest chance to grab one of those spots

However, we probably could have kept him around until we bought out and stretched Deng. It's likely Bryant's agent had a few offers and the Lakers FO being nice guys just went with the character move and let him go early.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

I suspect there was more than meets the eye. He had good numbers in the G League, but no doubt, during the exit interview, he was told what they wanted him to work on. We know he could shoot from outside, but his inside game was terrible. When we saw video of what he was working on, he was dribbling from outside and dunking on people, nothing that indicated he was working on any sort of inside post moves. Once that came out, he was cut. Additionally, he was one of the few, if not only, players who didn't seem to be in the gym working on his body. So in the end, it doesn't surprise me that he was the one who was let go, although I wished they would have given him more time to develop.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject:

So weird to see Zu still here, especially after his crappy season and all the changes on the team. Truth be told, I haven’t watched his national team play, but maybe the Lakers see something in him. Either that or his price is just right. I just hope he shows improvement. I know he wasn’t happy least season about not having a chance to go back home and not getting much playing time.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
So weird to see Zu still here, especially after his crappy season and all the changes on the team. Truth be told, I haven’t watched his national team play, but maybe the Lakers see something in him. Either that or his price is just right. I just hope he shows improvement. I know he wasn’t happy least season about not having a chance to go back home and not getting much playing time.

The day it was announced that they were keeping him, emplay speculated on Twitter that it was likely a financial move. According to him, it saved the team money to keep him. Ideally, you would think that there was some basketball consideration that went into that decision as well, but it's obviously very unlikely that they were impressed with the season he had and see him as someone who's worth investing in. They never even mention him as part of the young core, which says a lot.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

I suspect there was more than meets the eye. He had good numbers in the G League, but no doubt, during the exit interview, he was told what they wanted him to work on. We know he could shoot from outside, but his inside game was terrible. When we saw video of what he was working on, he was dribbling from outside and dunking on people, nothing that indicated he was working on any sort of inside post moves. Once that came out, he was cut. Additionally, he was one of the few, if not only, players who didn't seem to be in the gym working on his body. So in the end, it doesn't surprise me that he was the one who was let go, although I wished they would have given him more time to develop.

I think it's very, very dangerous to try to fill in a blank(s) this way. I get speculative wondering. That's inescapable. But it's dangerous to go as far as you have. How do we know that he hadn't been working on his inside game? Just because of what we could see in some brief vids? And how do we know he wasn't working on his body? I think his body looks pretty different when you look back on SL last year. He may not have gotten all that muscular, but he definitely dropped a noticeable amount of weight and appeared to be running the floor even better because of it, and was also more explosive.

And it's not that I'm trying to defend him. I wasn't all that high on him and questioned if he would stick around. I just think that what you just did is a good example of what I feel to be unfairness towards these guys, but it's customary on all forums. We shouldn't dance with slander just to fill in blanks.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

The day it was announced that they were keeping him, emplay speculated on Twitter that it was likely a financial move. According to him, it saved the team money to keep him. Ideally, you would think that there was some basketball consideration that went into that decision as well, but it's obviously very unlikely that they were impressed with the season he had and see him as someone who's worth investing in. They never even mention him as part of the young core, which says a lot.

I am sure the finances are good, but I believe the FO likes Zu on the court. He is still super young and had a great tournament over the summer. He looks lighter, stronger and more agile. IMO he is worth hanging onto.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
So weird to see Zu still here, especially after his crappy season and all the changes on the team. Truth be told, I haven’t watched his national team play, but maybe the Lakers see something in him.

He was very disappointing last season, including his second stint in the SPL. But I think part of what made that so disappointing, given his age, was that he looked so promising as a surprise rookie. I loved him in the SPL as a rookie, and he had some good moments as a raw rookie. He fell flat on his face last season and like a lot of people I was surprised to see him back. But I think it's an indication that the front office still likes his upside.

He's got great size and a very soft touch. I won't mention mobility again since I did in my last post, but another thing that was disappointing to me last season was his lack of rim protection. 1.3 blocks/36 as opposed to 2.0/36 as a rookie. If do think his cutting and screening could be pretty effective with Rondo and Lebron. It's a make or break year for him. I'll be rooting for him though.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
MJST wrote:

A good season for Zubac will be 10/7 with 1.5 blocks per game.

If Zubac averages 10-15 points with 7-9 rebounds in fewer than 28 minutes, I would be extraordinarily happy.

Good rebounders can get 1 every 4 minutes or so. Excellent rebounders can get 1 every 3 minutes. League leaders, like Drummond and Deandre Jordan, can pull down one every 2 minutes. Randle last year pulled one down every 3.3 minutes, Kuzma got 1 every 5.3 minutes approximately and James averaged about one in every 4.5 minutes.

If Zubac averages 7-9 rebounds in 28 minutes while playing good/excellent defense, Laker fans should be very happy.

Wow I would be shocked if Zubac can average those types of numbers for points. I can see the 7-9 rebounds but I just don't see the center getting that many shots with this team. I see him playing good defense and rebounding but not sure how many touches he will get on offense. He is going to be the 5th options and he running the break as one of the leaders so there will not be a lot of easy point.

Still I think he gets minutes because he will be our best low post defender and better rebounders. I would like to see him integrated in the offense because he is a really good passer and keeps the ball moving. I might change this opinion if Zubac beats out McGee and plays 28 or so minutes per game.

Many seem to think Beasley is going to get minutes at center and I just don't see it. He is a terrible defender regardless of position and there is no way he is going to guard a center. I also think he beats out Wagner who will not be able to defend the low post this season.

I think 10-12 points and 7-9 rebounds with good defense and around 10-24 minutes per game is about where I can see Zubac and I would call that a good season from him. He is only 21 years old and is playing on a playoff team so in that context that would be a big deal.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject:

No one who mentions the possibility of Beasley at C is suggesting that he would/should play against big, traditional centers. They're talking about C in a small ball lineup.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

with all the offense this team has, we dont need to waste possessions trying to feed Zubac in the post. His amount of playing and future on this team is going to be determined on how well he can defend and rebound
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

Even a well established post player like Brook barely got touches in the post. They're not going to Zubac down there. The majority of his points will come from others setting him up.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

Yueh Fei Returns wrote:
P.K. wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

However, we probably could have kept him around until we bought out and stretched Deng. It's likely Bryant's agent had a few offers and the Lakers FO being nice guys just went with the character move and let him go early.

There wasn't another way. Laker Sanity wrote in June 26:

Quote:
This is our current cap situation -

$18,000,000......Luol Deng (1)
$12,447,727......Julius Randle - cap hold (2)
$7,461,960........Lonzo Ball (3)
$5,757,120........Brandon Ingram (4)
$1,689,840........Kyle Kuzma (5)
$1,655,160........Josh Hart (6)
$1,656,092...…...Tyler Ennis (7)*
$1,544,951...…...Ivica Zubac (8)**
$1,378,242........Thomas Bryant (9)*
$1,263,500........Moritz Wagner (10)
$831,311...........Min Salary (11)
$831,311...........Min Salary (12)

$101,000,000 (Cap) - $54,517,214 (Salaries) = $46,482,786 cap space left

* = non-guaranteed until July 5, 2018
** = non-guaranteed until June 30, 2018
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

I think they will be happy if Zubac plays 15-20 minutes at center (roughly what McGee will play) and average something like 7-8 ppg and 4-5 rebounds. It will be similar to what GS has done, center by committee, McGee in for defense and probably starting halves, Zubac in for offense when we stay traditional center, Beasley in during small ball at center or PF.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Yueh Fei Returns wrote:
Agramer wrote:
MJST wrote:

Yes, I agree that will definitely happen. And I say to those naysayers, what is wrong with that? He's putting up those numbers as a center on the Lakers. Getting your youngsters to have break-out years just helps the team overall, short term and long term.

If Zubac averages 10/6 he will be a very nice asset in a trade. No extra pick is too low for our scouting department.

I really hate the rhetoric of "If a young player on our team plays well let's move him in a trade for a pick".

The point of using picks is to get players that start coming into their own and contributing for the team. It's self defeating to get a steal like Zubac and then when he starts playing up to it, say "alright! perfect time to move him for another pick we hope can do the same thing in 3-4 seasons" >_>
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject:

I think a good season for Zubac, would be 10/7 with 1 block a game. Considering the kind of minutes he'll likely be getting.

If he gets a good 25 MPG and puts up 10/7 with 1 block, and his Per35 was something like 15/10 then I think that would work pretty well.

The problem is, if he's a center coming into his own at 21, if the Lakers would be smart enough to re-sign him so they can have him when he's 24, or if they'll let him walk while going after another max.

I think their greatest fear at this point (sadly) is if Zubac DOES have a breakout year it means they'll have to pay him, and they aren't in the business of seeing the actual young players they didn't decree, as one of the players they actually want to pay. Unless they've chosen them for greatness.

Players like Kuzma or Ingram I doubt they'd have issue paying. But if Hart starts blowing up and playing out of his mind before his contract comes up, they'll likely let him walk if it means they can go after another max/role player that's already established instead of the guy who established himself on their team.

So we'll see how this all goes.

I prefer our situation to Minnesota's whom is trying to create the 2011 Bulls, and I am so glad we DIDN'T get Thibs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
So weird to see Zu still here, especially after his crappy season and all the changes on the team. Truth be told, I haven’t watched his national team play, but maybe the Lakers see something in him.

He was very disappointing last season, including his second stint in the SPL. But I think part of what made that so disappointing, given his age, was that he looked so promising as a surprise rookie. I loved him in the SPL as a rookie, and he had some good moments as a raw rookie. He fell flat on his face last season and like a lot of people I was surprised to see him back. But I think it's an indication that the front office still likes his upside.

He's got great size and a very soft touch. I won't mention mobility again since I did in my last post, but another thing that was disappointing to me last season was his lack of rim protection. 1.3 blocks/36 as opposed to 2.0/36 as a rookie. If do think his cutting and screening could be pretty effective with Rondo and Lebron. It's a make or break year for him. I'll be rooting for him though.

Yes, definitely an easy guy to root for.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 229 of 290
Jump to: