OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sigh. You are getting into the habit of overrating our guys for THIS SEASON.

I mean Coach Luke has already said our #2 pick is coming off the bench. Why would he not give guys who are vets (Black, Yi) and Nance a shot more than Zubac at this point?

Remember, Zub is coming of an injury riddled year. No reason to push him too hard at age 19. Let him get stronger and practice against Moz, and get reps against DLeague guys until the end of the season when we're hopelessly out of the playoff picture.

No one is overrating anyone. How in the heck can anyone figure out the rotations / minute distribution without the players going through training camp and preseason first? I'm going off the current information and what the coaching staff his said about him. If we're going off his SL play, he showed zero signs of any injury. I would assume the training staff is working on strengthening whatever deficiencies he had in the past with his foot/knee.

And again, this is the usual "dominated in SPL" hype that runs into the reality of actual NBA play. Tibor Pliss isn't DeAndre Jordan...and that was the best center he went up against in SPL.

Give it time. Your whole "how can anyone figure our rotations" spiel is getting tiresome. Walton just came out and said Ingram isn't starting; that should give you a healthy dose of reality concerning Zubac, who is of a similar archetype as Moz. I think Luke will likely look for a different look off the bench, which Black/Yi/Nance gives us.

If Moz plays 25-26mpg, then there are 22-23mpg up for grabs.

I see Black/Yi getting most of those minutes, with Nance maybe stealing 5 mpg there this season (and this is not even considering Randle).

If Black and/or Yi get moved, then different equation.

1) Again, the coaching staff is evaluating more than just the SL competition. They evaluate the translatable elements - things like running the floor, being able to rebound/block shots, setting screens. That's one reason Zach Auguste might end up with a roster spot.

2) We had an indication that Deng would be above Ingram at the depth chart for the SF spot, but what we don't know is how many minutes Ingram will end up with. We also don't know if he'll see time at the 2, which Luke has discussed as a possibility. It really doesn't matter if Ingram starts or not because we know he will be a part of the rotation.

3) What you see may be entirely different from what the coaching staff sees. How is Yi guaranteed any of those remaining minutes right now if his contract structure does not reflect it? No one knows what the minute distribution looks like.

So with Moz playing 25-26 mpg, and 22-23mpg up for grabs with Black, Yi, Nance, Randle, Zub, how many minutes do you expect Zub to play?

And if Moz is getting cut up with PnRs and switches (same problems Zub has), why would Luke's first move be to go to Zub? He'd go with a small ball guy. And if he wanted to stretch the floor, go with Yi.

Zub is a younger, less stronger version of Moz at this point.

1) If Mozgov is playing 26 minutes, it will be a new career high for him. He's seen 25 mpg only twice in his career. His career average is 18 mpg.

2) There are various reasons Luke could possibly go with Zubac - Mozgov in foul trouble, need for instant rim protector, match-ups, etc. The picture isn't clear right now, but it will be once we see him play in preseason.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject:

You keep dodging a simple question.

If Moz only plays 18mpg (which is doubtful), so let's say 22-24mpg, then you have 24-26 mpg left. How many minutes do you EXPECT Zub to play, particularly when he's a similarly plodding 7+ footer?

I've said all along, if Moz is hurt, Zub may get more playing time, sort of like how Anthony Brown went from playing 0 minutes/DLeague to starting against KD, to maintain the rotation.

Again, I've maintained that I see Zub THIS season averaging less than 8mpg. Next season, I expect much more.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sigh. You are getting into the habit of overhyping our guys for THIS SEASON.

I mean Coach Luke has already said our #2 pick is coming off the bench. Why would he not give guys who are vets (Black, Yi) and Nance a shot more than Zubac at this point?

Remember, Zub is coming of an injury riddled year. No reason to push him too hard at age 19. Let him get stronger and practice against Moz, and get reps against DLeague guys until the end of the season when we're hopelessly out of the playoff picture.

As it currently stands, Mitch has ruled out the d-league for him. That is obviously bound to change after training camp and preseason.

LOL. You come in with the "how can anyone determine any rotations" angle and then conclusively say "Mitch has ruled out the D-League." Come on. I think Zub will see some games in the Dleague while practicing with the team.

I did not make it up. Here is what Mitch said about Zubac seeing d-league time:

Quote:

Q: On the potential for Zubac to join their D-League affiliate, the Los Angeles D-Fenders:
Kupchak: Right now, the D-Fenders really aren’t in the equation in terms of this pick. It’s not something that was discussed. We hope to get him over to play in Summer League. We don’t know if that’s something we can do yet. As I mentioned, it’s not quite as easy with the European guys; logistics and contracts. I do believe he is under an existing contract, but he does have an NBA out. So can those kinds of things be addressed in the next 10 days? I’m not sure. But we would like to bring him over and get him to play in Summer League if that’s possible.

Is that bound to change after training camp and preseason? Obviously but that's the most recent information about it.

Hmm, he used the term "RIGHT NOW."

And it's a big difference b/w "stashing" him in a DLeague team and having him practice with the main squad, and play DLeague games. Lakers have done that many times with guys like Farmar (1st rounder).

And that quote was an eternity ago. Not sure why you're holding Mitch to that. Wasn't that quote prior to FA, where we went out and got Moz, Black, and now Yi?

Because no one else has given us an indication since then. And quite frankly, I don't see how you have all the rotations and playing time penciled in. How can you say with certainty he will see d-league time when he hasn't been evaluated against NBA talent yet? Isn't that something the coaching staff will determine?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
You keep dodging a simple question.

If Moz only plays 18mpg (which is doubtful), so let's say 22-24mpg, then you have 24-26 mpg left. How many minutes do you EXPECT Zub to play, particularly when he's a similarly plodding 7+ footer?

I've said all along, if Moz is hurt, Zub may get more playing time, sort of like how Anthony Brown went from playing 0 minutes/DLeague to starting against KD, to maintain the rotation.

Again, I've maintained that I see Zub THIS season averaging less than 8mpg. Next season, I expect much more.

As with Yi and/or Black, I expect Zubac to be able to show why he deserves time. If he does demonstrate that, he will receive time. I have no clue how many minutes he'll end up getting because training camp and preseason have not happened yet. There are instances where he could end up playing (match-ups, stretch 5, rim protector, Mozgov hurt/ foul trouble), but it's wayyy to premature right now.

Last edited by KindCrippler2000 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Because no one else has given us an indication since then. And quite frankly, I don't see how you have all the rotations and playing time penciled in. How can you say with certainty he will see d-league time when he hasn't been evaluated against NBA talent yet? Isn't that something the coaching staff will determine?

I still don't understand why you hold Mitch to anything, the guy gives up nothing. That quote is the context of:

1. a few days after the draft;
2. Zub wasn't even signed yet, so a bit of gamesmanship to get him over here as he wanted to know that a team wouldn't just stash him overseas;
3. before the Lakers (upon the alleged advice of Luke) signed Moz, re-signed Black (then later Yi and Auguste).

I think the SPL was a real diamond in the rough for Lakers fans, showing us that there was this unpolished gem in the making that we need to nurture and grow.

So again, what is your expectation of Zub? That he'll start this year? or become a 20+mpg player?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject:

And FYI, Moz has played 23mpg in FIBA EuroBasket this year, putting up 12/6, 1.5 bpg. I think 24-25mpg in NBA competition is more than reasonable this year.

http://www.fiba.com/eurobasket/2017/qualifiers/Russia
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject:

yall just gotta wait til we see how silky that skyhook is

then all questions will be answered
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I still don't understand why you hold Mitch to anything, the guy gives up nothing. That quote is the context of:

1. a few days after the draft;
2. Zub wasn't even signed yet, so a bit of gamesmanship to get him over here as he wanted to know that a team wouldn't just stash him overseas;
3. before the Lakers (upon the alleged advice of Luke) signed Moz, re-signed Black (then later Yi and Auguste).

I think the SPL was a real diamond in the rough for Lakers fans, showing us that there was this unpolished gem in the making that we need to nurture and grow.

So again, what is your expectation of Zub? That he'll start this year? or become a 20+mpg player?

1) Because what Mitch said might have pertained to details of his contract. We know he did not want to be stashed. We don't know how the d-league fits into it, because the expectation from Zubac's side was that he'd be able to contribute in some way.

2) As far as his polishing, the coaching staff brought him back earlier than expected to work with him. He has said they are preparing him for more time than expected. That could end up as 0 minutes, but how can we say with certainty before training camp and preseason?

Last edited by KindCrippler2000 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject:

Go Lakers.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:

"We prolly gon fight on whatever you got next for me bruh. Cuz if its some @#*$ like that bruh, I'm telling you right now. I know you got courage and all that, but Imma have to see what yo hands talkin bout."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
anpherknee wrote:

"We prolly gon fight on whatever you got next for me bruh. Cuz if its some @#*$ like that bruh, I'm telling you right now. I know you got courage and all that, but Imma have to see what yo hands talkin bout."

edit: look what just tumbled down the TL
https://twitter.com/OfficiallyIce/status/777722590601289728
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
22 wrote:
anpherknee wrote:

edit: look what just tumbled down the TL
https://twitter.com/OfficiallyIce/status/777722590601289728

Yooooooo!! what was he thinking? I'm done lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

As it currently stands, Mitch has ruled out the d-league for him. That is obviously bound to change after training camp and preseason.

No, Mitch has not ruled out the D League for him, he said it hadn't been discussed. It is likely he gets some experience there if he doesn't get playing time in Laker games. It is important that he gets reps for his future development. Practicing against Moz is a great development tool but he needs reps in game situations.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

No, Mitch has not ruled out the D League for him, he said it hadn't been discussed. It is likely he gets some experience there if he doesn't get playing time in Laker games. It is important that he gets reps for his future development. Practicing against Moz is a great development tool but he needs reps in game situations.

Exactly. Mitch's comments were pre-free agency.

I have high hopes for Zub to be our possible starting center of the future. And no reason to treat this season as if it's his last (he's under basically a minimum deal for 3 years).
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject:

Being stashed as an overseas player is radically different from seeing D-League time. Just because they aren't stashing him on the other side of the planet doesn't mean that they've ruled out the D-League for him. Those two things are totally different. If he plays in the D-League he'll still be working closely with the staff. They're trying to develop him, and playing in the D-League would be part of that process.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1) As of currently? Yes, he has:

Quote:
Q: On the potential for Zubac to join their D-League affiliate, the Los Angeles D-Fenders:
Kupchak: Right now, the D-Fenders really aren’t in the equation in terms of this pick. It’s not something that was discussed. We hope to get him over to play in Summer League. We don’t know if that’s something we can do yet. As I mentioned, it’s not quite as easy with the European guys; logistics and contracts. I do believe he is under an existing contract, but he does have an NBA out. So can those kinds of things be addressed in the next 10 days? I’m not sure. But we would like to bring him over and get him to play in Summer League if that’s possible.

2) Which is something the guard-oriented d-league never provided.

3) How he'll get his reps will likely be determined in training camp and then preseason. It is not known yet whether he will see time in the d-league.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Being stashed as an overseas player is radically different from seeing D-League time. Just because they aren't stashing him on the other side of the planet doesn't mean that they've ruled out the D-League for him. Those two things are totally different. If he plays in the D-League he'll still be working closely with the staff. They're trying to develop him, and playing in the D-League would be part of that process.

Yup. We've seen the Lakers do this with our young players for years.

I remembered Jordan Farmar playing DLeague games and NBA games on the same day. Or Anthony Brown was play Dleague games and then called up to guard Kevin Durant when Kobe was injured last year.

Zubac will practice with the team, but probably play a good amount of DLeague games to get reps against other players. Post trade deadline we may thin out the backlog and he can get some run.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject:

Mitch's comments about the DFenders were about Zubac not making the roster and signing with them a la Upshaw. Just about every kid puts in time on the D league team simply because it gives them a chance to play.

If he proves to be that good that early, he probably won't spend much or any time there, but I'd say it's a pretty reasonable bet to say that he will.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

1) If Zubac sees d-league time, I would assume it is because he has demonstrated without a doubt that he is not able to contribute on an NBA level. The indication given from the coaching staff is that he would be able to contribute in some way this season. If he has legitimately added a skyhook to his game, he has surely worked on the other, more fundamental aspects of his game before. There is no reason for the coaching staff to add a skyhook to his game if the other aspects are underdeveloped.

2) They are trying to develop him, but development in the d-league is different from development in the NBA. We saw this with Tarik, Kelly and Brown, as their stints did not impact their play on the NBA level. Clarkson benefited from it more due to his position. It also seemed like Kelly got worse from playing there.

Last edited by KindCrippler2000 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Quote:

3) How he'll get his reps will likely be determined in training camp and then preseason. It is not known yet whether he will see time in the d-league.

As yinoma has already pointed out, Mitch said that right after they drafted him. Since then Mozgov, Tarik, and Yi have been signed. That sorta matters a lot, ya know?

But even aside from that, my interpretation of Mitch's comment differs from yours. I don't think be was saying that they had ruled out playing him in the D-League. I think all he was saying was that they didn't necessarily have it in mind when they drafted him and that they hadn't talked about it yet. That's it. I could be wrong, obviously, but I find that to be more sensible than the juice you're pumping into a brief, ambiguous statement that was made nearly three months ago before three additional bigs were signed; one of them already being promised the starting role.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Judah wrote:

1) If Zubac sees d-league time, I would assume it is because he has demonstrated without a doubt that he is not able to contribute on an NBA level. The indication given from the coaching staff is that he would be able to contribute in some way this season. If he has legitimately added a skyhook to his game, he has surely worked on the other, more fundamental aspects of his game before. There is no reason for the coaching staff to add a skyhook to his game if the other aspects are underdeveloped.

2) They are trying to develop him, but development in the d-league is different from development in the NBA. We saw this with Tarik, Kelly and Brown, as their stints did not impact their play on the NBA level. Clarkson benefited from it more due to his position. It also seemed like Kelly got worse from playing there.

So Zubac sitting on the bench, playing garbage time in the NBA is better than getting full game reps in the DLeague, while practicing with the NBA team and sitting in games...for...wait for it...garbage time?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

Correct, it is all about development. If he develops while remaining full time with the Lakers then great. If it takes some PT with the Defenders then that is great as well. The Lakers were the only team willing to keep him in the US so they won't let his agent get in the way of developing him, they are obviously sold. He plays a position that we are suddenly deep at. Mozgov and Black are better defenders, that is why it seems likely they will get more playing time. The important thing is that Zubac gets the reps defensively to adjust to he speed of the game, be that in the NBA or D League.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Quote:

As yinoma has already pointed out, Mitch said that right after they drafted him. Since then Mozgov, Tarik, and Yi have been signed. That sorta matters a lot, ya know?

But even aside from that, my interpretation of Mitch's comment differs from yours. I don't think be was saying that they had ruled out playing him in the D-League. I think all he was saying was that they didn't necessarily have it in mind when they drafted him and that they hadn't talked about it yet. That's it. I could be wrong, obviously, but I find that to be more sensible than the juice you're pumping into a brief, ambiguous statement that was made nearly three months ago before three additional bigs were signed; one of them already being promised the starting role.

My approach has always been a more wait and see approach, before saying flat out that he will see time in the d-league. I brought up Mitch's quote because it is the most recent thing said about his d-league play from an official source (I don't trust the "sources" here). Is that bound to change when the season starts? Absolutely, but it is what was currently said.

I also don't believe those signings you mentioned alter his plans that much. We know Yi's contract right now is non-guaranteed (250k right now), and he'll have to beat out the other guys for rotation time. I think there's the impression here that Yi will see time immediately, which would make sense if his contract reflected that. We also know that Black will have to compete for that spot.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Judah wrote:

So Zubac sitting on the bench, playing garbage time in the NBA is better than getting full game reps in the DLeague, while practicing with the NBA team and sitting in games...for...wait for it...garbage time?

Wouldn't he be getting his reps in with the NBA practice squad in the first place? From a big man's perspective, playing a full d-league game wouldn't necessarily be better than traveling with the team, practicing with them full time and then getting "garbage minutes". How do we even know he will see d-league time when he hasn't been measured up against NBA competition?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Judah wrote:

Wouldn't he be getting his reps in with the NBA practice squad in the first place? From a big man's perspective, playing a full d-league game wouldn't necessarily be better than traveling with the team, practicing with them full time and then getting "garbage minutes". How do we even know he will see d-league time when he hasn't been measured up against NBA competition?

This is going nowhere. You seem to want to play both sides of this equation so let's move on.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 63 of 290
Jump to: