OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
"American game speed" AKA playing with 34 year old chuckers like Troy Devries. That sounds about right. It almost sounds like he's the best player from DeVry University.

I don't envy Zubac right now. The d-league has nothing to offer him at this point. He of all people should be getting a few minutes on the worst defensive team in the NBA.

When did he get traded?

Please refer to this thread: http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=180132&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject:

All due respect to vander blue and the homies, but the d-league is a joke

The only thing zubac will pick up there is playing time. it might help for like 5 games, but after that there's nothing for him there.
JH from Hemet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject:

RichD wrote:
At this point Lakers are going nowhere. So please play him

Maybe you havent noticed but we actually have a winning record?

The tank is over.....deal with it
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
"American game speed" AKA playing with 34 year old chuckers like Troy Devries. That sounds about right. It almost sounds like he's the best player from DeVry University.

I don't envy Zubac right now. The d-league has nothing to offer him at this point. He of all people should be getting a few minutes on the worst defensive team in the NBA.

When did he get traded?

Please refer to this thread: http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=180132&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Super.

Of course, the team would be even worse with him on the floor at this point. Outside of the unicorns, teenage centers just get killed in the NBA. Best to get him some experience in the NBDL where it's okay if he fouls out every game.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

When did he get traded?

Super.

Of course, the team would be even worse with him on the floor at this point. Outside of the unicorns, teenage centers just get killed in the NBA. Best to get him some experience in the NBDL where it's okay if he fouls out every game.

That's pretty much conjecture. Randle is giving next to no effort. Nance is undersized. Black is good in spurts, but gives up too many rebounds. I don't see how another big body makes them much worse. Mozgov is the only one playing some semblance of defense. In terms of breaking a rookie in, Donovan has the right approach with Sabonis: play him for spurts, and take him out when he's getting killed (see Randle vs Sabonis match-up 3rd game of the season):

Quote:
It hasn’t all been a smooth transition, though. Despite spending almost all of his time on the floor with Westbrook, he still has a net rating in the negative. Oklahoma City’s offensive rating is 0.6 points higher when he is off the floor, and the team’s defensive rating is 1.8 points lower when he is off it.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject:

Pot. Kettle. Done.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject:

https://media.giphy.com/media/G4ZNYMQVMH6us/giphy.gif
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
All due respect to vander blue and the homies, but the d-league is a joke

The only thing zubac will pick up there is playing time. it might help for like 5 games, but after that there's nothing for him there.

It does, somewhat, keep him in game shape and ready. The kid loves basketball and the Lakers, I'm sure he'll glean something positive from of the experience.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject:

Ivica Zubac posts 21 points & 12 rebounds vs. the Suns:

His three point shot is legit. Coby Karl paired him with a player who passed him the ball (Julian Jacobs).
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

His three point shot is legit. Coby Karl paired him with a player who passed him the ball (Julian Jacobs).

Man Zubac is so tall though! He's a head taller than anyone else on that court

and those nice screens.... why won't luke play him
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject:

Maybe MWP is right about him.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

*shrugs*

I feel like Luke is trying to have it both ways this season. It's evident he's too competitive of a coach to play his youngsters even when the game is out of hand, but development can't take a back seat to winning every single game. When Russell and Randle are out, Metta and Calderon do not need to get extended minutes. Ingram does not need to be a ghost on offense.

I know someone is probably going to say they'd get blown out by 50 instead of 43 if Zubac played. When will it end!???
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject:

I am a fan of Tarik Black and it seems like is an all around amazing guy but he is just too small to be center in the nba. He can do it against probably 50% of the other teams, but in the other 50% he is just exposed. It's remarkable how much bigger than himself he plays that he can even do what he does, but Black's minutes should start going to Zubac imo. Black had a nice run, and I love how much he improved his free throw shooting, but it's time to end that era. It's time for Zubac
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject:

The goal with the 2nd unit is to run run run. zubac is more Mozgov. I think he replaces moz one day.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I am a fan of Tarik Black and it seems like is an all around amazing guy but he is just too small to be center in the nba. He can do it against probably 50% of the other teams, but in the other 50% he is just exposed. It's remarkable how much bigger than himself he plays that he can even do what he does, but Black's minutes should start going to Zubac imo. Black had a nice run, and I love how much he improved his free throw shooting, but it's time to end that era. It's time for Zubac

Black been playing well against 2nd units. Zubac not gonna do better than Black in the run n gun push push push offense our bench unit has played. He's 3rd in the chart appropriately, his time will come
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject:

One place I could see Zubac helping the Lakers most is when Mozgov gets in foul trouble and we need a replacement Moz to play with the starting unit. Problem is he's going to be facing starting centers a lot in this role. Seasoned veterans who know how to feast on rookies. And Zubac has VERY little experience. I think it's a good move having Zubac play a bunch of D League games this part of the season. Hopefully gets more and more dominant there and that much more ready when he gets called up for good.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject:

Zubac's time is coming.
Zubac is being groomed to replace Mozgov in a few seasons. Moz is playing well so TM will be around for at least 2-3 more years.
However I do believe that Zu should get 5 minutes or so per game at this point plus still play a few games in the D-League.

He is a more traditional center and is not quite ready for the run & gun NBA style just yet, however, as I said, his time is coming.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Welp if DLeague is so terrible like you're saying than Zubac should be dominating it right? Especially if you're vouching for NBA playing time.

He isn't, he's still getting the hang of even THAT speed, and fouled out his last game.

So when Zubac starts dominating in Dleague he'll be ready to get minutes in the NBA.

Don't forget, Anthony Brown DOMINATES the DLeague, Tarik Black DOMINATES the DLeague, and Brown could barely make it work at NBA level if at all, and Tarik is a capable backup center.

So until Zubac gets to that point even in the least amount, he shouldn't be getting any "NBA" playing time then. Cause if he can't have the timing for or ability to dominate "DLeague" yet, he isn't ready for "The League" as of yet. Period, point blank then.

On the bright side, he had 21/12 in his last DLeague game. So he's obviously getting the hang of it, and will gain confidence from that.

So good sign, but now it's time to play the patient game.

He got more confidence in and the actual ability/time/touches/opportunity to do things in that game that he wouldn't have gotten while getting blown out vs the Warriors.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Because he's not ready. He was a foot taller than anyone else on the court in that game and only put up 20/12, and no I'm not being facetious about the 'only'.

Luke could probably put up those numbers himself in an NBDL game.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Because he's not ready. He was a foot taller than anyone else on the court in that game and only put up 20/12, and no I'm not being facetious about the 'only'.

Luke could probably put up those numbers himself in an NBDL game.

As wide open as the D-league game is he would definitely come pretty close on most nights.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Man, I haven't seen any of our opponents play pick n roll defense as poorly as the Suns did there. It's the d-league for a reason.

He has a feathery touch around the basket and a nice looking J, but he still looks a bit "doughy" to me. He's not physically ready to play against most NBA centers his size. The few minutes that Luke gave him, he was getting pushed around too easily and couldn't defend without fouling.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject:

The biggest worry I have with Zubac, honestly is his rebounding. At the next level I mean.

He was bigger/taller than most of the guys they put on him at that position but he lacks explosiveness.

Hopefully that's something that will happen as his body matures a bit more. The Marc Gasol comparisons are very on point whom has averaged 7.7 rebounds throughout his career. But he was next to Zach Randolph who was a 10-12 rebound center in his prime. So that also helped matters.

I am thinking the Lakers hope for a similar cohesiveness on the rebound front with Randle there as Zubac comes along.
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject:

Zubac looked good in the highlights from the D-Fenders win yesterday and he scored a three pointer I haven't seen Black or Mozgov score one this season but I know Zubac only done it in the D-League. I wonder how long it will be until Zubac is in the rotation?
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The goal with the 2nd unit is to run run run. zubac is more Mozgov. I think he replaces moz one day.

Agreed.

I just think we can give him a few minutes here and there when Mozgov is in early foul trouble like yesterday.

We have a future HOF in the D-League while Lakers is getting crushed by GS in a back to back situation without two of our five best players and the starting C out with 3 fouls after about 5 minutes.

I don't think Zubac is ready for a major role, but he is not alone and a few minutes of NBA action may help him and us long term.

Anyway it's better playing games than just sitting on street cloths.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject:

Dilla_ wrote:
Zubac looked good in the highlights from the D-Fenders win yesterday and he scored a three pointer I haven't seen Black or Mozgov score one this season but I know Zubac only done it in the D-League. I wonder how long it will be until Zubac is in the rotation?

I hope he is in the rotation next season and hopefully ready to start in another 2-3 seasons.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 89 of 290
Jump to: