OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
"American game speed" AKA playing with 34 year old chuckers like Troy Devries. That sounds about right. It almost sounds like he's the best player from DeVry University.

I don't envy Zubac right now. The d-league has nothing to offer him at this point. He of all people should be getting a few minutes on the worst defensive team in the NBA.

Welp if DLeague is so terrible like you're saying than Zubac should be dominating it right? Especially if you're vouching for NBA playing time.

He isn't, he's still getting the hang of even THAT speed, and fouled out his last game.

So when Zubac starts dominating in Dleague he'll be ready to get minutes in the NBA.

Don't forget, Anthony Brown DOMINATES the DLeague, Tarik Black DOMINATES the DLeague, and Brown could barely make it work at NBA level if at all, and Tarik is a capable backup center.

So until Zubac gets to that point even in the least amount, he shouldn't be getting any "NBA" playing time then. Cause if he can't have the timing for or ability to dominate "DLeague" yet, he isn't ready for "The League" as of yet. Period, point blank then.

On the bright side, he had 21/12 in his last DLeague game. So he's obviously getting the hang of it, and will gain confidence from that.

So good sign, but now it's time to play the patient game.

He got more confidence in and the actual ability/time/touches/opportunity to do things in that game that he wouldn't have gotten while getting blown out vs the Warriors.

If I had a nickel for everyone who said "dominate the d-league so you can be good in the NBA", I'd be a millionaire. That's not quite how the d-league works. NBA scouts evaluating the d-league games have the toughest job in of all professional sports. Contrary to popular belief, they are not looking for players who dominate the d-league. If that were the case, you'd pull up the stat sheet and give guys like Jabari Brown, Vander Blue, Jordan McRae, Josh Magette multi-million dollar contracts. They are looking for niche role players, that is, players that would presumably perform well in certain roles for NBA teams -- things like defense, hustle, three point shooting, making that extra pass will almost always get noticed over scoring. Guys like Tyler Johnson and Jonathan Simmons put up meager stats, but scouts saw the translatable elements. And guess what? They turned out to be correct.

As an FYI, Tarik Black and Anthony Brown were mediocre in the d-league last season. Black was a foul machine and Brown shot around 40%. They looked bad, but it wasn't because they weren't NBA caliber. In contrast, Ryan Kelly looked like the GOAT but nothing about his d-league game translated to the NBA. He was the Amare Stoudemire of the d-league, but none of it mattered. He wasn't able to fill any niche role in the NBA game.

Remember Julian Jacobs? That rookie who was invited to the Lakers training camp, but failed to make the roster? He's never going to dominate the d-league. Not even close. He does, however, perform well in that niche role scouts are looking for. Perhaps that would explain why he received the training camp invite over the best players in the d-league. You can bet that Coby Karl will put in a good word for him, because I do see him as a future NBA talent. His game has far more translatability than Jabari Brown's right now.

Zubac doesn't just pass the "niche role" test with flying colors, but his outside shooting would be a commodity for the Lakers right now. He fits that "all offense, no defense" thing they currently have going, even though he's probably a better defender than advertised. And so what if he plays like Jokic? At the very least, he's able to develop and get NBA level experience. I think people need look up the Lakers defensive rankings with Randle or Black at center. They are last or next to last in most of the important categories. There is NO defense, but they understand that it's about development when Randle is playing center.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
MJST wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
"American game speed" AKA playing with 34 year old chuckers like Troy Devries. That sounds about right. It almost sounds like he's the best player from DeVry University.

I don't envy Zubac right now. The d-league has nothing to offer him at this point. He of all people should be getting a few minutes on the worst defensive team in the NBA.

Welp if DLeague is so terrible like you're saying than Zubac should be dominating it right? Especially if you're vouching for NBA playing time.

He isn't, he's still getting the hang of even THAT speed, and fouled out his last game.

So when Zubac starts dominating in Dleague he'll be ready to get minutes in the NBA.

Don't forget, Anthony Brown DOMINATES the DLeague, Tarik Black DOMINATES the DLeague, and Brown could barely make it work at NBA level if at all, and Tarik is a capable backup center.

So until Zubac gets to that point even in the least amount, he shouldn't be getting any "NBA" playing time then. Cause if he can't have the timing for or ability to dominate "DLeague" yet, he isn't ready for "The League" as of yet. Period, point blank then.

On the bright side, he had 21/12 in his last DLeague game. So he's obviously getting the hang of it, and will gain confidence from that.

So good sign, but now it's time to play the patient game.

He got more confidence in and the actual ability/time/touches/opportunity to do things in that game that he wouldn't have gotten while getting blown out vs the Warriors.

If I had a nickel for everyone who said "dominate the d-league so you can be good in the NBA", I'd be a millionaire. That's not quite how the d-league works. NBA scouts evaluating the d-league games have the toughest job in of all professional sports. Contrary to popular belief, they are not looking for players who dominate the d-league. If that were the case, you'd pull up the stat sheet and give guys like Jabari Brown, Vander Blue, Jordan McRae, Josh Magette multi-million dollar contracts. They are looking for niche role players, that is, players that would presumably perform well in certain roles for NBA teams -- things like defense, hustle, three point shooting, making that extra pass will almost always get noticed over scoring. Guys like Tyler Johnson and Jonathan Simmons put up meager stats, but scouts saw the translatable elements. And guess what? They turned out to be correct.

As an FYI, Tarik Black and Anthony Brown were mediocre in the d-league last season. Black was a foul machine and Brown shot around 40%. They looked bad, but it wasn't because they weren't NBA caliber. In contrast, Ryan Kelly looked like the GOAT but nothing about his d-league game translated to the NBA. He was the Amare Stoudemire of the d-league, but none of it mattered. He wasn't able to fill any niche role in the NBA game.

Remember Julian Jacobs? That rookie who was invited to the Lakers training camp, but failed to make the roster? He's never going to dominate the d-league. Not even close. He does, however, perform well in that niche role scouts are looking for. Perhaps that would explain why he received the training camp invite over the best players in the d-league. You can bet that Coby Karl will put in a good word for him, because I do see him as a future NBA talent. His game has far more translatability than Jabari Brown's right now.

Zubac doesn't just pass the "niche role" test with flying colors, but his outside shooting would be a commodity for the Lakers right now. He fits that "all offense, no defense" thing they currently have going, even though he's probably a better defender than advertised. And so what if he plays like Jokic? At the very least, he's able to develop and get NBA level experience. I think people need look up the Lakers defensive rankings with Randle or Black at center. They are last or next to last in most of the important categories. There is NO defense, but they understand that it's about development when Randle is playing center.

Although before the season started, Walton said this season is about player development. You can now see this is not the case when this team's performance has exceeded the expectations. Walton likes to play a fast pace and that is why he likes to use Black or Randle as center. I don't think this is just for player development. It could be because Zubac doesn't fit with the tempo that the 2nd unit is playing so he doesn't have any playing time. Nevertheless, the dynamic has shifted to winning rather than developing the young players at this stage.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:

Although before the season started, Walton said this season is about player development. You can now see this is not the case when this team's performance has exceeded the expectations. Walton likes to play a fast pace and that is why he likes to use Black or Randle as center. I don't think this is just for player development. It could be because Zubac doesn't fit with the tempo that the 2nd unit is playing so he doesn't have any playing time. Nevertheless, the dynamic has shifted to winning rather than developing the young players at this stage.

I get your point and do not argue. Let's stick with a fast-pace second unit where either Black or Randle are in the middle.

But then there is the deep bench. Luke has 10-player rotation. Three last active players see court only in the meaningless time.
So far Luke has used Robinson in these minutes. To me this is nonsense. I have not seen anything from Robinson to look forward to. He is not even productive. These minutes could and should all go to Zubac. Yet, he is even inactive.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:

No, that is not correct, it is still about developing young players. Zubac doesn't fit our second unit at all. His stints in the D League are about development. I know fans think the only way a player can develop is to play in games, but that is far from the truth. Players develop in practice, viewing film, and also playing against others. Playing a guy who is mismatched against his opponent isn't development, it could very well be the opposite.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject:

Lakers’ Ivica Zubac focused on learning to channel his inner Kareem with the D-Fenders

Los Angeles’ seven-footer is aiming to use the D-League as springboard to prove his doubters wrong.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/11/24/13740706/la-lakers-ivica-zubac-skyhook-kareem-d-fenders-stats-recap
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Lakers’ Ivica Zubac focused on learning to channel his inner Kareem with the D-Fenders

Los Angeles’ seven-footer is aiming to use the D-League as springboard to prove his doubters wrong.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/11/24/13740706/la-lakers-ivica-zubac-skyhook-kareem-d-fenders-stats-recap

Quote:
As the Los Angeles D-Fenders were in the midst of a double overtime battle with the Northern Arizona Suns after blowing a 31-point lead in the second half, a Suns assistant coach yelled from the bench ‘bring Zubac back in the game.’

That's just classless and that coach should be ashamed of himself. Coaches should be above that kind of lame trash talk.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Ivica Zubac (13 points) vs. the Vipers, 11/27/2016

Agramer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Ivica Zubac (13 points) vs. the Vipers, 11/27/2016

and second in-game 3-pointer by ZU The way he shoots it ,kinda, reminds me of Bill Laimbeer shooting
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject:

Doesn't get the ball nearly enough. 58FG% but it's good to see those fouls going down. A sign he is adjusting to the speed of American game.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEalHVd1Fbo

That's my boy.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject:

The kid touch is amazing.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject:

So after all of the rancor over taking Russell over Okafor, the Lakers may end up with a better center at pick #32 a year later.

Kupchak
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
So after all of the rancor over taking Russell over Okafor, the Lakers may end up with a better center at pick #32 a year later.

Kupchak

Good thought. Will be interesting who turns out to be the better player. Zubac still has a long road ahead of him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Zubac still has a long road ahead of him. Okafor's post game is still his calling card, but his bad knee, uncertain role, and lack of defensive ability in Philly and no tutelage in help defense or verticality, two things that would help him tremendously, leave him in a sort of limbo.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:50 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

Kupchak

Future HOF, a superstar in the making for sure.

We got a couple of nice two way players with great length in this draft.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject:

I really hope Zubac gets some more NBA experience this season.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject:

Lakers’ Ivica Zubac leads D-Fenders to victory with huge fourth-quarter performance
Los Angeles’ young center continues to progress during his second minor league stint.
Quote:
The Los Angeles D-Fenders beat the Salt Lake City Stars in a come from behind 118-110 victory on Thursday night. More promising for Los Angeles Lakers fans, not only was rookie center Ivica Zubac playing down the stretch, he was leading the team to victory.

"Zu was pretty impressive in the fourth," said D-Fenders head coach Coby Karl. "He really anchored our defense and stepped up."

Zubac had a slow start to the game, but dropped a quick six points coming out of the halftime break, and took his production to the next level when returning to the game with 10:51 left and the D-Fenders trailing by 6. After picking up two quick fouls, the rookie shook off the whistles and went to work.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/12/2/13816132/la-lakers-ivica-zubac-d-fenders-stats-tape-analysis-video-highlights-stars-draft-d-league
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject:

Zub's time is coming. Let the young man get some playing time, and I think by the end of the season, will be getting a steady 8-10 mpg.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEalHVd1Fbo

That's my boy.

Impressive indeed
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject:

One thing that really impressed me about Zu was a comment he made when a reporter asked him about translating summer league success to the NBA. He said something like 'Summer league is nothing compared to the NBA. I have to grow a lot to be a player in the league'. Made me feel like he's a guy who isn't caught up in his own ego and is ready to work.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject:

I don't use to root for any specific player I'm all about the Lakers, but I would be really happy if Zubac succeeds because he is basically one of us with the opportunity to play the pro game wearing the golden armor.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject:

He looks ready we need his rim protection.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
The kid touch is amazing.

Michael, is that you?

lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject:

I'm ready to see if they can start milking a little bit of offense, shot blocking, defense, and rebounding out of him in the right situations. The way the starting offense and sometimes the subs have been playing lately, they could use some help inside or even outside and under the rim on the defensive end.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 90 of 290
Jump to: