OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 171, 172, 173 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject:

Yeah, lots to be excited with Zub. But at this point, he's a basketball infant. EVERYTHING seems possible. Of course with young players like him, in a few years, we'll get a better sense of his trajectory.

But his defense needs a lot of work, as is usually the case with young bigs.
underdogsgv
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
2019 wrote:
nash wrote:
underdogsgv wrote:
His floor is a better passing version of Vucevic imo.

Haters are coming ...

His floor is a better scoring version of Mark Gasol

not sure how that's being a hater... seems very fair

Marc is a fantastic player. A better scoring version of him is HOF

HOF for sure, I'm surprised there is still folks questioning how good Zubac is going to be.

Let's get serious, I really like the kid, his hands and soft touch. He has all the tools needed to play the position, if he is willing to work and his progress and training chart are telling he is, Zubac can have a great NBA career.

I find it crazy talk anyone telling a young player is going to be something, nobody really nows about the future, but I like Zubac's chances to succeed.

Of course no one knows - not even 95% of the people in NBA front offices know for sure.
#32 is the greatest Laker ever.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

underdogsgv wrote:

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject:

underdogsgv wrote:
nash wrote:
2019 wrote:
nash wrote:
underdogsgv wrote:

Haters are coming ...

His floor is a better scoring version of Mark Gasol

not sure how that's being a hater... seems very fair

Marc is a fantastic player. A better scoring version of him is HOF

HOF for sure, I'm surprised there is still folks questioning how good Zubac is going to be.

Let's get serious, I really like the kid, his hands and soft touch. He has all the tools needed to play the position, if he is willing to work and his progress and training chart are telling he is, Zubac can have a great NBA career.

I find it crazy talk anyone telling a young player is going to be something, nobody really nows about the future, but I like Zubac's chances to succeed.

Of course no one knows - not even 95% of the people in NBA front offices know for sure.

He should be one of the centerpieces of our building program.

Get luck, draft Fultz, develop Zubac and Ingram and by the end of their rookie deals we are going to be contenders.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

I'd say Zubac's floor is a more complete Nurkic.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I'd say Zubac's floor is a more complete Nurkic.

The problem is Nurkic is still young 22 and could get better as well. We don't even know what Nurkic is like complete.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

Zubac was in the rotation for 31 games to close the season. His per 36 numbers were

17.4 points
9.6 rebounds
2.2 blocks
54.8 fg%

He has to get much better defensively. But man, he's going to be one of the very best offensive bigs in the NBA very soon imo. He's raw as hell defensively, but he's already a very solid offensive player.

As far as defense goes, his poor technique and lack of strength were much bigger issues than footspeed this year. You can still be a solid defensive center without having quick feet, especially if you are a rim protector.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

dao wrote:
Zubac was in the rotation for 31 games to close the season. His per 36 numbers were

17.4 points
9.6 rebounds
2.2 blocks
54.8 fg%

He has to get much better defensively. But man, he's going to be one of the very best offensive bigs in the NBA very soon imo. He's raw as hell defensively, but he's already a very solid offensive player.

As far as defense goes, his poor technique and lack of strength were much bigger issues than footspeed this year. You can still be a solid defensive center without having quick feet, especially if you are a rim protector.

And a PER of 19.8 in March when he could share more time on the floor with our starting PG.

By the way, a 19 years old center that finished the season with just 38 games playing with a distinct lineup every day, with inconstant playing time through the season and is clearly still far from his best shape/physical maturation.

I have to apply the same argument was used pro Russell when talking about his limitations, give the kid time to develop his body and learn the pro game, the skillset, touch and IQ are evident.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject:

I'm not as optimistic about Zu as nash is but I do hope he's not thrown into a trade anytime soon... I think he's a project that has a long way to go who has shown some serious offensive promise.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
I'm not as optimistic about Zu as nash is but I do hope he's not thrown into a trade anytime soon... I think he's a project that has a long way to go who has shown some serious offensive promise.

I may not be as high on Zubac as I make it sounds, but believe he is one of our best prospects.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

I may not be as high on Zubac as I make it sounds, but believe he is one of our best prospects.

Agree with you there! I think he's at least our 3rd best. What he becomes is kind of a mystery to me, like Ingram. His endgame
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
nash wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Agree with you there! I think he's at least our 3rd best.

This
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

I guess the best player comparison I could make for Zubac is Brook Lopez. I know we all want him to be Marc Gasol, but he actually seems more similar to Lopez imo. Very skilled offensively, natural scorer, blocks shots but is still an underwhelming/average defender. Right now Zubac is horrible defensively but he should become average at some point.

These are Lopez's per 36 stats from his rookie year (age 20):

15.4 points
9.6 rebounds
2.2 blocks
53.1 fg%
0.0 BPM

Zubac's per 36 this year (age 19):

16.8 points
9.4 rebounds
2.0 blocks
52.9 fg%
-2.5 BPM

Marc Gasol's rookie per 36 (age 24)

13.9 points
8.6 rebounds
1.3 blocks
53.0 fg%
+1.2 BPM

Zubac was younger than the other two and had far less high level experience. He was by far the most raw of the three defensively. But he was already comparable offensively. I think it's fair to project Zubac as a better offensive player than Marc. Lopez is a better offensive player than Marc imo. Gasol sets himself apart defensively. He is miles ahead of Lopez defensively.

19 year old Zubac was horrible defensively. 24 year old rookie Gasol was already pretty good defensively, and he became elite quickly thereafter. Lopez has been a mediocre defender for his entire career.

How good defensively can Zubac become? That's the key question. Because he will most likely be one of the best offensive centers in the league going forward. But defense at the center position is more important than offense nowadays. If Zubac becomes an average defender, he will be a similar player to Lopez. If he can become a good to very good defender somehow, I think he will be even better overall than Gasol.

I don't watch much of Lopez. Anyone familiar with his game care to compare him with Zubac? Also, if Gasol could be an elite defender with his frame, is it unfair to think Zubac can't also become very good? Zubac seems pretty similar physically to a young Gasol by my untrained eye. He has high basketball intelligence, and he seems to be a high effort player. Right now he lacks strength and defensive technique, both of which should improve going forward. His slow feet will likely always plague him, but I don't think it will be a fatal flaw.
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
I guess the best player comparison I could make for Zubac is Brook Lopez. I know we all want him to be Marc Gasol, but he actually seems more similar to Lopez imo. Very skilled offensively, natural scorer, blocks shots but is still an underwhelming/average defender. Right now Zubac is horrible defensively but he should become average at some point.

He's shown significantly better instincts defensively than Brook ever has, and unlike Lopez he seems willing to rebound albeit lacks the physical strength to dominate there. I actually liked the Vuc comparison.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Karmaloop wrote:
dao wrote:

He's shown significantly better instincts defensively than Brook ever has, and unlike Lopez he seems willing to rebound albeit lacks the physical strength to dominate there. I actually liked the Vuc comparison.
yeah the rebounding is a good point. Lopez is a terrible rebounder and has actually regressed throughout his career. His rookie year was actually the highest rebounds per 36 of his career! I'm sure Zubac's rebounding will be going up, not down haha.

I think Zubac will be a better offensive player than Vucevic though. Zubac's 16.8 points per 36 is better than Vucevic's first three years in the NBA (age 21-23). Also Zubac's 52.9 fg% is higher than any season Vucevic has had.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Really interesting stuff in this thread, guys. I had been searching for more realistic comps for Zubac all season, have some interesting comps to dig into later.

I didn't like the Gasol or Okafor comps thrown around in here earlier. Neither felt quite like what Zubac might become.
romeo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

7 footer with post moves, sky hooks, uses both hands, soft touch, willing passer, good ft and shooting form, and has shown flashes of good D and rim protection (dont know which game but i saw 5-6 blks in 1 half). and still only 20yrs old.

we're not beating gsw, cleveland, or sa anytime soon. but we do need to compete with the future suns, timberwolves, 76ers, and bucks. a good draft this year or next year plus growth and experience will take us back into contention. and if the lakers sign a star or trade for one, hopefully we have the complementary pieces to play around them. i prefer homegrown since im high on zubac, ingram, randle and russell.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Why Marc Gasol Is A Defensive Stalwart

Gasol may be a tad bit more mobile than Zubac? Seems pretty close to me. Gasol is much stronger and has far better defensive awareness, but it seems that his mobility is pretty similar to Zubac's. I am not going to sleep on Zu's defensive upside. He has great feel for the game and seems to have a great mindset. I think he might surprise us defensively.

a little breakdown os some positive aspects of Zubac's defense.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Through hard-work and experience Zubac will be much improved defensively going in to next season.

They don't call him ZUBLOCKA for nothing.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Karmaloop wrote:
dao wrote:

He is and elite shot blocker for a 19 years old Center. As pointed by our coaching staff his major problem on D is his stance that makes him a bit slow to react. Correcting it I believe he is going to rotate faster and grab more boards. He is still getting used to athletic NBA players, with experience he is not going to have guys backdooring him as often.

I don't see anything on him that can't be corrected.
Agramer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
I'm not as optimistic about Zu as nash is but I do hope he's not thrown into a trade anytime soon...

Trading Zubac now would be like dropkicking a puppie.

Zubac is developing 100 times faster then he would have developed if he stayed in Europe, because coaching staff in NBA is not affraid to explore different aspects of Zu's game when they see that he might be good in something. In Europe he would be pidgeonholed in the Euro-stiff center role
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

Pelinka just called him one of the pillars of the future.

I'm definitely aligned with this front office in terms of talent evaluation.

At least until the draft
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject:

2017 Player Capsule: Ivica Zubac

Quote:
Season Summary:
When Ivica Zubac’s name was called at the 2016 NBA Draft, even hardcore hoops fans couldn’t have been blamed for wondering who the 19-year-old Croatian kid was, and whether or not he could play. After nearly a year with Zubac, it’s hard to imagine things having gone much better for him. Not only did he show himself to be a capable center already, but he did so much faster than even his own projections.

As he told us, playing for the team he loved as a kid, let alone starting 11 games, was an absolute dream. But how about averaging 16.8 points (52.9 percent field goals), 9.4 boards and 2.0 blocks with 1.8 assists per 36 minutes? While he needs to continue to work on his defensive versatility – chasing stretch bigs to the perimeter and switching out on guards – Zubac impressed in other areas.

He has an array of post moves with both good hands and soft touch, sets good screens, rolls hard and can protect the rim. He missed the last seven games of the season with a high ankle sprain, but was otherwise healthy. His personal highlight was a 25-point, 11-rebound performance at Denver in which he hit 12 of 15 shots.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/170425-player-capsule-ivica-zubac
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait for Summer League to see Zub and Ingram's development.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
Can't wait for Summer League to see Zub and Ingram's development.

Along with Nwaba and hopefully a top 3 pick to go with the 28th pick

Zubac
Ingram
Nwaba
Hart, Diallo, Iwndu, Thornwell
Fultz
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 171, 172, 173 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 172 of 290
Jump to: