OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 209, 210, 211 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject:

Zu played very well in G-League time tonight as expected, he's dominant there. What I'm seeing them try out a bit as of late is playing Bryant at the 4.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I have the impression that the Lakers are trying to build Zu's value so they can get an asset for him this offseason if not use him as an asset in a Deng deal.

I think either Zubac or Bryant will be used along with a first round pick to get rid of Deng's contract if necessary.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
He's been playing poorly and it's a "what have you done for me lately" fanbase as well as a league.

Zubac had a pretty good 7-8 game stretch and has now had a bad 5-6 game stretch or so in about 7-8 minutes per game.

He very obviously can rebound, he pulled down 3 in about 7 minutes of playtime and got 5 in 9 against Denver.

Rebounding is not my concern.

My concern is more so his ability to defend the pick and roll as the last line of defense.

Him having to step out on a guard to defend them going to the basket is going to be about as effective as Lopez would be in the same situation, so I care more so about him on the help side, and him as the last line of defense, so that's what I'm looking for.

Also Zubac can indeed run the floor fairly well as we've seen him do it numerous times at this point, and he's also a good rim runner off the pick and roll.

All these are attributes he has and has shown on a consistent enough basis to point to them as strengths.

Where he struggles is his strength, timing and guarding out on the perimeter. That is where I see him struggle the most.

I don't expect Zubac to be a center that can switch onto point guards though, I see him like I see Lopez to be honest.

Given that he's only 21 and in his 2nd year at the position that takes the longest to develop at, I like some of the things I've seen, and dislike other things I've seen.

But where Zubac needs to improve the most is his timing above all else.

So before ya'll blow up Bryant as the second coming and saying he should get minutes over Zu, he has looked less prepared and successful than Zu against NBA competition and less polished than him in the G-League. There's a reason Zu gets minutes and Bryant doesn't.

So if Zu doesn't deserve any minutes, than neither would Bryant, as he's less prepared, more raw, and less successful against actual NBA competition.

Zu will be fine. What I'd personally like to see them go back to is the pick and roll he and IT had some chemistry at when they got their minutes together.

Do not know why we've gone away from that pick and roll attack, as attacking on the pick and roll was something Zubac was good at both last year and this season when he's had the opportunity.

You do realize that every sentence doesn't need its own paragraph.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
MJST wrote:
He's been playing poorly and it's a "what have you done for me lately" fanbase as well as a league.

Zubac had a pretty good 7-8 game stretch and has now had a bad 5-6 game stretch or so in about 7-8 minutes per game.

He very obviously can rebound, he pulled down 3 in about 7 minutes of playtime and got 5 in 9 against Denver.

My concern is more so his ability to defend the pick and roll as the last line of defense.

Him having to step out on a guard to defend them going to the basket is going to be about as effective as Lopez would be in the same situation, so I care more so about him on the help side, and him as the last line of defense, so that's what I'm looking for.

Also Zubac can indeed run the floor fairly well as we've seen him do it numerous times at this point, and he's also a good rim runner off the pick and roll.

All these are attributes he has and has shown on a consistent enough basis to point to them as strengths.

Where he struggles is his strength, timing and guarding out on the perimeter. That is where I see him struggle the most.

I don't expect Zubac to be a center that can switch onto point guards though, I see him like I see Lopez to be honest.

Given that he's only 21 and in his 2nd year at the position that takes the longest to develop at, I like some of the things I've seen, and dislike other things I've seen.

So before ya'll blow up Bryant as the second coming and saying he should get minutes over Zu, he has looked less prepared and successful than Zu against NBA competition and less polished than him in the G-League. There's a reason Zu gets minutes and Bryant doesn't.

So if Zu doesn't deserve any minutes, than neither would Bryant, as he's less prepared, more raw, and less successful against actual NBA competition.

Zu will be fine. What I'd personally like to see them go back to is the pick and roll he and IT had some chemistry at when they got their minutes together.

Do not know why we've gone away from that pick and roll attack, as attacking on the pick and roll was something Zubac was good at both last year and this season when he's had the opportunity.

People often won't read single spaced "walls of text"... if you break up a long post, it's sometimes easier to digest and more likely someone might read it.

That's also why teachers make you double space... not as tiring to read.
tofulakers
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject:

Zu needs to get his hunger back, he's too complacent now. If he doesn't show major improvement this summer, he's a salary dump next season.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

Quote:
South Bay Lakers -at- SouthBayLakers

Ivica Zubac has been recalled by the @Lakers. The second-year center scored a team-high 24 points for South Bay tonight against Memphis. #SBLakers http://on.nba.com/2GiJFRc
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject:

tofulakers wrote:
Zu needs to get his hunger back, he's too complacent now. If he doesn't show major improvement this summer, he's a salary dump next season.

I don't think he has that long. I'd be surprised if they brought him back next season. I wouldn't blame them either. The rookie version of him was worth investing in, but not this version. Not even close. It's difficult to see them retaining both he and Bryant. It's pointless to have two project centers.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
MJST wrote:

People often won't read single spaced "walls of text"... if you break up a long post, it's sometimes easier to digest and more likely someone might read it.

That's also why teachers make you double space... not as tiring to read.

But how many people on this forum do you think read MJST’s posts in their entirety? lol. The format is part of what makes it difficult. I usually don't mind reading longer posts because I want to make sure I'm understanding where the person is coming from, but with him it's admittedly more of a glance here and there to get a gist. The way he formats it just makes it hard.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:

He's not an NBA player.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Zu played very well in G-League time tonight as expected, he's dominant there. What I'm seeing them try out a bit as of late is playing Bryant at the 4.

At this point Zu playing well and dominant in the G-League isn't doing anything for me. I've seen him beast out against real NBA talent. Time for him to put his money where his mouth is. His time is
Quickly approaching to make a decision one way or another. Wouldn't be the first time we were given fools gold by a rookie only to find them struggle and be out of the league in threes years. (See Ryan Kelly)
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
MJST wrote:

At this point Zu playing well and dominant in the G-League isn't doing anything for me. I've seen him beast out against real NBA talent. Time for him to put his money where his mouth is. His time is
Quickly approaching to make a decision one way or another. Wouldn't be the first time we were given fools gold by a rookie only to find them struggle and be out of the league in threes years. (See Ryan Kelly)

Ah, excellent point there.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Kelly always had a precarious physical profile, not fast enough to defend the perimeter, not strong enough to defend the post. His sticking point was the potential for a sorta big who could shoot. Then he didn't shoot well enough and that was that.

Zu has a pretty clear role in the league. The best teams don't spend a ton on slow footed bigs who can't stay on the floor when the pace quickens. But they all have such bigs on value contracts to help defend opposing bigs early in the game when leaving smaller player to defend them could lead to foul trouble. Zu is on a minimum deal next year and he's big enough to defend the post for you. Run a couple PnR for him and ask him to defend. Not a bad piece to have.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I have the impression that the Lakers are trying to build Zu's value so they can get an asset for him this offseason if not use him as an asset in a Deng deal.

My wild guess is that Zu will be packaged with the 46th pick to move up in the draft.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Kelly always had a precarious physical profile, not fast enough to defend the perimeter, not strong enough to defend the post. His sticking point was the potential for a sorta big who could shoot. Then he didn't shoot well enough and that was that.

Zu has a pretty clear role in the league. The best teams don't spend a ton on slow footed bigs who can't stay on the floor when the pace quickens. But they all have such bigs on value contracts to help defend opposing bigs early in the game when leaving smaller player to defend them could lead to foul trouble. Zu is on a minimum deal next year and he's big enough to defend the post for you. Run a couple PnR for him and ask him to defend. Not a bad piece to have.

Like I said, his time is running short. He's not showing the same type of skill he had last year. Theirs an insane amount of inconsistency on his part. You can honestly expect to see at least one time a game where he gets the ball stripped, and often times looks like he's getting by on just being bigger. As a lifelong Laker/Kobe fan who just seems like a good, genuine kid I'm really rooting for Zu and thought he had turned the corner post trade, but it seems he quickly faded.
Team of the 80's
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Zu is done as a Laker.
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject:

I thought Anthony Brown was a colossal failure, this dude is pathetic beyond words.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject:

CantStopJM wrote:
I thought Anthony Brown was a colossal failure, this dude is pathetic beyond words.

How can you be a colossal failure when you're drafted in the 2nd round? You're acting as if AB and Ivica are lottery picks.

And they got their chances, their summer league, their training camps, and an NBA paycheck for a couple seasons? But it didn't pan out.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:

How can you be a colossal failure when you're drafted in the 2nd round? You're acting as if AB and Ivica are lottery picks.

And they got their chances, their summer league, their training camps, and an NBA paycheck for a couple seasons? But it didn't pan out.

I would not be so quick to write off Zu. Kid is only 20 years old and showed some major flashes in his rookie year. He did also have some good moments this season.

Not sure if the Lakers will hold on to him, but I think he has a future in the NBA.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject:

Really? Really? Really? After him and Caruso lead the 4th Quarter comeback from down 20, his spectacular 4th quarter and after all the stuff people talked about him, no one wanted to bump this and say anything?

Last edited by MJST on Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:34 am; edited 3 times in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject:

Ivica Zubac Highlights

It's good to see him starting to grow up a bit, performances like this can only help his confidence. He has a very good sense of 'where to be', which for his age is impressive. Just takes a guard that recognizes it. Which is why IT and Caruso being able to take advantage of that we see some of the best games from him.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject:

Well, people were talking about building up Zu's value and then trading him in the offseason so I guess a lot of people already wrote him off. So many bandwagoners.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
He's not an NBA player.

Such impatience and exaggerated posturing around here sometimes - so frustrating.

Zu has limits as a player. But he's big, has soft hands, good touch, can rebound and rim run. I think he's capable of becoming a good shooter from range. And since he's 20, he has time.

I don't know if his defense will ever be good - at least as long as the small-ball/positionless trends continue. But as a matchup reserve? Definitely an NBA player in the making.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject:

ZUBEAST is BACK!!
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

Zubac is not a guard. He needs to get passes to the position where he can operate. This team does not se low post much. Zu is strong there. Tonight Caruso started to fing him after PnR, something IT did in his first games. There you go, 16 points.

Why Zu has been so much ignored in the O end in last 10 games or so is beyond me. Of course he can not be effective when guards shoot every time themselves.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject:

ZUUUUUUUUUUUU
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 209, 210, 211 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 210 of 290
Jump to: