OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 259, 260, 261 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
This was the real zubac. Lebron makes him look much better.

By that logic, LeBron is also

Preventing Lonzo from averaging 20/10/9
Stopping Kuzma from averaging 30ppg
Preventing Ingram from being a 20PPG scorer
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

Lebron makes players who can't create for themselves look better than they actually are. I'm pretty sure that's what he meant and I can't argue with that.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject:

CantStopJM wrote:
MJST wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

Lebron makes players who can't create for themselves look better than they actually are. I'm pretty sure that's what he meant and I can't argue with that.

I can agree with that. Zubac isn't going to be asked to create for himself outside of the occasional post up though, otherwise his strengths are in the pick and roll and knowing where to be off-ball for spot ups or dips to the basket.

So a center like Zubac should compliment a point guard like LeBron, Zo and Rondo.

So essentially saying "he doesn't look as good without the player that best takes advantage of his strengths." is kind of self evident. Same can and should be said of McGee and Chandler.

I still would have liked to see more pick and rolls and looks for him last night.

Looking for Zubac to create outside of his strengths or outside of how he's best utilize is setting one's self up for disappointment imo.

Both LeBron and Rondo create a gravity around themselves that allows for Zubac to get fantastic looks he can take advantage of. When Lonzo started creating it around himself in the 4th, Chandler benefited on the alley oops he got.

Far as Zubac goes, he had an alright first half, a bad start to the 3rd, and then Luke never played him again. Which is per usual and why some of the youngsters look over their shoulder wherever Luke is concerned. He has a tendency to yank you both when you're hot, and when you make mistakes and then not play you. So hopefully the rest he got means he'll perform well tonight.

Again however, if Lonzo isn't playing, it's going to be more difficult team-wide.
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
MJST wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

I can agree with that. Zubac isn't going to be asked to create for himself outside of the occasional post up though, otherwise his strengths are in the pick and roll and knowing where to be off-ball for spot ups or dips to the basket.

So a center like Zubac should compliment a point guard like LeBron, Zo and Rondo.

So essentially saying "he doesn't look as good without the player that best takes advantage of his strengths." is kind of self evident. Same can and should be said of McGee and Chandler.

I still would have liked to see more pick and rolls and looks for him last night.

Looking for Zubac to create outside of his strengths or outside of how he's best utilize is setting one's self up for disappointment imo.

Both LeBron and Rondo create a gravity around themselves that allows for Zubac to get fantastic looks he can take advantage of. When Lonzo started creating it around himself in the 4th, Chandler benefited on the alley oops he got.

Far as Zubac goes, he had an alright first half, a bad start to the 3rd, and then Luke never played him again. Which is per usual and why some of the youngsters look over their shoulder wherever Luke is concerned. He has a tendency to yank you both when you're hot, and when you make mistakes and then not play you. So hopefully the rest he got means he'll perform well tonight.

Again however, if Lonzo isn't playing, it's going to be more difficult team-wide.

Lonzo isn't that great of a playmaker(he's a great passer though) due to his unwillingness to get in the paint which makes a guy like Zubac kinda worthless offensively at least. A lot of Lonzo's assists seem to pass aheads or PNR with Kuzma who can catch it outside the FT line and roll to the basket or to bigs like Tyson and McGee who can jump quick and catch lobs. Zubac played extremely well with Rondo and Bron because they got to the basket and at least pretended to be a threat in the paint and dumped it off to him.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject:

CantStopJM wrote:
MJST wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
MJST wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

Lonzo isn't that great of a playmaker(he's a great passer though) due to his unwillingness to get in the paint which makes a guy like Zubac kinda worthless offensively at least. A lot of Lonzo's assists seem to pass aheads or PNR with Kuzma who can catch it outside the FT line and roll to the basket or to bigs like Tyson and McGee who can jump quick and catch lobs. Zubac played extremely well with Rondo and Bron because they got to the basket and at least pretended to be a threat in the paint and dumped it off to him.

THIS!

Great passer doesn't equal great playmaker.

Yesterday's game, time and time again I thought BI had opportunities to make a play for Zu, and time and time again, he forced the issue, or didn't have the confidence in Zu that he could be effective with a pass.

One of Zo's strengths is NOT attacking the paint or breaking down a defense.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Just look at the guy who replaced Lebron in the lineup.
Josh Hart. He can't play make worth crap.
Of course Zubac's numbers would suffer.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Zu missed/fumbled at least 3 gimmes that would've made his line look more respectable. He should have a much better performance tonight.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Zu missed/fumbled at least 3 gimmes that would've made his line look more respectable. He should have a much better performance tonight.

Zubac has to be nimble if he wants to best Boban.
And when Harrell comes in... we're in trouble.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject:

CantStopJM wrote:
MJST wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
MJST wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

exactly been saying this forever. Until Ball can be a threat of driving to the paint for the score (or atleast do short range pull ups and floaters) his overall playmaking will be limited.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
MJST wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
MJST wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

exactly been saying this forever. Until Ball can be a threat of driving to the paint for the score (or atleast do short range pull ups and floaters) his overall playmaking will be limited.

So you're telling me the guy who averaged 7.2 assists in 34 minutes last season can be an "overall playmaker" when he becomes a threat driving to the paint? That would be a lot of assists then, I guess.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
MJST wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
MJST wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

Last year I thought more of an issue was he never would look for the score on his drives but would always kick it out. Yes I believe he does need to increase his frequency in breaking down his opponent but I feel he has made strides this year in this respect.
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Dude still sucks.

Nice 3 games he had tho.

But it's back to reality.

Y'all were saying that we need to make minutes for him. Yea ok. LMAO.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

CantStopJM wrote:
Dude still sucks.

Nice 3 games he had tho.

But it's back to reality.

Y'all were saying that we need to make minutes for him. Yea ok. LMAO.

CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Dude is dog (bleep).
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Pathetic today
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Pathetic today

LeBron was padding his stats for a AD trade. We need him back quick.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Not encouraging. He was spoon fed easy looks from Lebron and Rondo. Wide open dunks and layups right under the basket against smaller teams. Against the Kings who had some size he struggled more. Tonight against actual size in Boban he was god awful even though he was getting the ball in decent position.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Not encouraging. He was spoon fed easy looks from Lebron and Rondo. Wide open dunks and layups right under the basket against smaller teams. Against the Kings who had some size he struggled more. Tonight against actual size in Boban he was god awful even though he was getting the ball in decent position.

Yep. He's too soft. I felt that the play where he went up and tried to dunk it but felt a tad of contact (from Harrell I belie) and missed showed me all I needed to see. He got the call, but you have to make the shot as well.
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject:

This guy is terrible without lebron spoon feeding him. That run he had was fools gold.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject:

He's only 21, I expect him to get significantly stronger.. couple that with continued growth in the skills department, I think you'll be looking at a solid rotational big.
Yellow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject:

I'm still a believer! A bit of training with some seals this offseason and he'll be good to go.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

Now we know who he is. He is solid offensively when he's being spoonfed. That sounds like a criticism but it's really not -- Tyson is someone who routinely blows easy buckets even when he's being spoonfed. Being able to go 9-10 on LeBron's efforts is still worth something.

But a future starter he is not (barring outlier growth in his game which you shouldn't predict by definition)
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

You crackies think anyone who doesn't show all star potential is trash. He's a decent player.

If only you judged yourselves the way you judge these 21 year olds

LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Boban was a bad matchup for him. He is a serviceable backup. What more do you want from a 2nd round pick?

People expect him to be Anthony Davis.
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Capela is the same without Harden. When was last time BI spoonfed someone? If Zu had a mismatch, where is the help? His free throws already better than most people and he is only 21.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 259, 260, 261 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 260 of 290
Jump to: