United Kingdom votes to leave EU
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject:

Traveling through the EU is so much easier. And financially it is better for the rest. The Euro is much better for, say, Italy than the lira. Or those poorer nations.

Not being in Britain, I can't say what their main reason for leaving is, and I don't want to jump to the conclusion it was fear mongering and knee jerk reaction to falsehoods. Maybe there are other reasons to do so. But it is interesting to see that the younger voters voted overwhelmingly to stay, while older voters, those who have to live with the results in less years, voted to get out.

We build agreements and alliances to make a better world, community. Going at it alone is foolish and dangerous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject:

London to leave the UK?

That would be wacky.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject:

A link to the Brexit vote by age group
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject:

Stupid UK. When Trump loses in November he can always try, try again across the pond.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject:

Where is the UK going to move to?
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Not incredibly smart by uk. They have been in a recession for years. Whelp . This won't help at least in the near future. Good time to travel there.

Very smart by Britons.

British policy will be set in Westminster tailored to the needs and wants of Britons..

Not by Germany through Brussels tailored to the needs and wants of Germany.

All they have to do is have economic policy that is slightly less stupid than the EU and investors will rush into the UK.

In the short term there will be chaos caused by Elites panicked by a boogeyman they created.

Stay Calm and Carry On Great Britain.

"investors will rush into the UK"? After all the big banks leave London for the mainland there will be nothing to rush into. There's a reason why London overwhelmingly voted for "remain". After Scotland becomes independent and joins the EU and Northern Ireland is unified with Ireland, England will be as important a world player as Wales.
Laker4andmore
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Great job for UK

The more international based organizations there are, the less voice a person has in the government. Small and local governments is the way to go.

The EU, ECB system is a bunch of unelected politicians making decisions for everyone else.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Kinda kewl that a member state can simply elect to leave. Imagine the bloodshed if California tried to leave.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Get ready for the Texit, Aussie.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
DeeAgeaux wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Not incredibly smart by uk. They have been in a recession for years. Whelp . This won't help at least in the near future. Good time to travel there.

Very smart by Britons.

British policy will be set in Westminster tailored to the needs and wants of Britons..

All they have to do is have economic policy that is slightly less stupid than the EU and investors will rush into the UK.

In the short term there will be chaos caused by Elites panicked by a boogeyman they created.

"investors will rush into the UK"? After all the big banks leave London for the mainland there will be nothing to rush into. There's a reason why London overwhelmingly voted for "remain". After Scotland becomes independent and joins the EU and Northern Ireland is unified with Ireland, England will be as important a world player as Wales.

Wouldn't be surprised if thats the case. The locals will have more control over their economy, but the UK becomes smaller once Scotland and Northern Ireland declare their independence since they voted overwhemingly to stay in the EU.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
DeeAgeaux wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Very smart by Britons.

Wouldn't be surprised if thats the case. The locals will have more control over their economy, but the UK becomes smaller once Scotland and Northern Ireland declare their independence since they voted overwhemingly to stay in the EU.

The UK's economy is 78% service sector and England makes up the vast majority of that. They'll be fine.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

Not being in Britain, I can't say what their main reason for leaving is, and I don't want to jump to the conclusion it was fear mongering and knee jerk reaction to falsehoods. Maybe there are other reasons to do so. But it is interesting to see that the younger voters voted overwhelmingly to stay, while older voters, those who have to live with the results in less years, voted to get out.

Many of those in Britain had no idea what they were voting. They just voted fashionably - how American of them:

The British are frantically Googling what the E.U. is, hours after voting to leave it

"Even though I voted to leave, this morning I woke up and I just — the reality did actually hit me," one woman told the news channel ITV News. "If I'd had the opportunity to vote again, it would be to stay."
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Get ready for the Texit, Aussie.

Well Texas claims it is Like a Whole Other Country . Who are we to argue?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Very smart by Britons.

LMAO. Not sure if serious.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject:

London is seriously talking about becoming an independent city-state. Scotland wants the eff out too.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Make the UK smaller again?
Oh, the other hand, the stock market tanking is great for those people that have been waiting to load up on stocks.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Get ready for the Texit

They tried that already when we told them they couldn't buy black people.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject:

K28 wrote:
London is seriously talking about becoming an independent city-state. Scotland wants the eff out too.

There are serious implications for Ireland as well:

The English have placed a bomb under the Irish peace process

Recklessly, casually, with barely a thought, English nationalists have planted a bomb under the settlement that brought peace to Northern Ireland and close cordiality to relations between Britain and Ireland. To do this seriously and soberly would have been bad. To do it so carelessly, with nothing more than a pat on the head and a reassurance that everything will be all right, is frankly insulting.

Northern Ireland’s greatest fear from a Brexit is the return to conflict
Kathryn Gaw
Read more
Just five years ago, when Queen Elizabeth became the first reigning British monarch to visit southern Ireland in a century, there was a massive sense of relief. It was not just relief that the visit went off peacefully and well. It was much deeper than that: it was relief from centuries of both British condescension and Irish Anglophobia. A long story – often nasty, sometimes merely tediously wasteful – was over. There was a dignified, decent, democratic settlement that allowed the natural warmth of a neighbourly relationship to come fully to the surface.

. . .

What will now happen is not that the old border will come back. It’s much worse than that. The old border marked the line between neighbouring polities that had a common travel area and an intimate, if often fraught, relationship. It was a customs barrier. The new border will be the most westerly land frontier of a vast entity of more than 400 million people, and it will be an immigration (as well as a customs) barrier.

It will, if the Brexiters’ demands to take back control of immigration to the UK are meant seriously, have to be heavily policed to keep EU migrants who have lawfully entered the Republic from moving into the UK. And it will run between Newry and Dundalk, between Letterkenny and Derry. The Dublin-Belfast train will have to stop for passport controls. (Given that the border could not be secured with army watchtowers during the Troubles, it is not at all clear how this policing operation will work.)

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Very smart by Britons.

Yep . . . the economy always booms with smart moves like this . . . oh wait . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
encina1 wrote:

Many of those in Britain had no idea what they were voting. They just voted fashionably - how American of them:

The British are frantically Googling what the E.U. is, hours after voting to leave it

"Even though I voted to leave, this morning I woke up and I just — the reality did actually hit me," one woman told the news channel ITV News. "If I'd had the opportunity to vote again, it would be to stay."

Then they deserve every (bleep) thing just for their sheer stupidity. There was a guy who said "he didn't expect his "leave" vote would count., wtf?!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Trump is taking a glorious Twitter beating from the Scots after his moronic Tweet about the Brexit. More proof what an absolutely ignorant dumbass he is (and that nobody can swear with more style and sting than a Scot):

Scots respond to Trump NSFW
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Before Donald speaks he needs to talk to his manager. How did he not know Scotland voted to remain? I don't think his supporters have anymore a clue than he does. However the latest polls show some are becoming aware.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject:

London has been one of the great financial centers of the world, but that may well change with Brexit. Banks and business interests are in search of low transaction costs, which is one of the reasons why London remained a financial power, at least until now. With banks potentially leaving and electronic exchanges on the rise, London could become as relevant as the buggy whip.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Before Donald speaks he needs to talk to his manager. How did he not know Scotland voted to remain? I don't think his supporters have anymore a clue than he does. However the latest polls show some are becoming aware.

As I mentioned in another thread earlier, it is painfully evident that The Donald is not an avid reader. He lacks intellectual curiosity in something that should be close to his heart, which is strange as his followers proclaim his brilliance in economics and finance.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject:

No. 17 wrote:
There's after hours trading? shows how much I know about the stock market.
Is the 600 point drop going to show tomorrow morning?
Would it be smart to sell and hold tomorrow or is it too late?

Great time to invest IMO.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: