The Fruits of 2013-16: I Declare that the Tank is Dead (RIP, 2013-16)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: The Fruits of 2013-16: I Declare that the Tank is Dead (RIP, 2013-16)

2013-14: 27-55
#7: Julius Randle
#46: Jordan Clarkson

2014-15: 21-64
#2: D'Angelo Russell
#27: Larry Nance, Jr.
#34: Anthony Brown

2015-16: 17-65
#2: Brandon Ingram
#32: Ivica Zubac
LUKE WALTON

More than likely we will not have our pick next year, and that by the next time we pick in the 1st round, we will be a playoff level team. Out of 3 years' worth of picks:

-5 guaranteed rotation players with Brown/Zubac being 2 additional possibilities.

-2 possible perennial all-star level players (Ingram/DLO)

-1 borderline all-star level player (Randle), 1 starter level player (Clarkson)

I'm declaring it now. The tank is hereby dead and over. The Lakers have emerged well from 3 years of futility and pain. We are now poised to make a dramatic come back.

Welcome back Lakers fans.

Last edited by yinoma2001 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject:

And a big wad of cash to spend to bring in elite-level talent.

It felt like forever but it should be worth it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject:

sickside323 wrote:

Seriously. Longest 3 years of being a Lakers fan (and have been for over 30 years). But we are now poised for a big time comeback. I don't expect ALL the young players to be part of our next championship core team, but we have all the tools to get there now.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject:

AMEN
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
AMEN

Need that church organ and choir going in the background.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject:

We need to make a huge splash in free agency next year, I genuinely do not mind if we strike out this year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
We need to make a huge splash in free agency next year, I genuinely do not mind if we strike out this year.

I don't think the FO will let that happen.

Striking out is a non-starter for them, even if that means overpaying non tier 1 guys or trading some young players.

I think we are done tanking for a long time.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject:

sickside323 wrote:

Definately. Rather than try to win and end up being mediocre. Thats business.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
al242 wrote:

Striking out is a non-starter for them, even if that means overpaying non tier 1 guys or trading some young players.

Outside of Derozan, Whiteside and Durant (not even a remote chance of him signing here), there is no other FA that really interests me. If we are going to overpay someone like Deng or Parsons to sign here, we deserve whatever repercussions that will bring.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
al242 wrote:

Outside of Derozan, Whiteside and Durant (not even a remote chance of him signing here), there is no other FA that really interests me. If we are going to overpay someone like Deng or Parsons to sign here, we deserve whatever repercussions that will bring.

Yes, the repercussions of being an improving team that still has a max spot in 2017 along with improved play from young players. If we signed Deng I would imagine it being a very short term (possibly huge 1 year deal).
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
al242 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
al242 wrote:

Yes, the repercussions of being an improving team that still has a max spot in 2017 along with improved play from young players. If we signed Deng I would imagine it being a very short term (possibly huge 1 year deal).

Fair point, at this stage of his career I doubt Deng is signing anywhere on a 1 year deal regardless of the salary range. We will see what happens in FA, we just don't have that much to sell FAs at this particular time. Next year will be better.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
al242 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
al242 wrote:

Fair point, at this stage of his career I doubt Deng is signing anywhere on a 1 year deal regardless of the salary range. We will see what happens in FA, we just don't have that much to sell FAs at this particular time. Next year will be better.

I do expect us to fare well in FA.

But assuming we don't, I can something like a massive 1 year 22-24m offer to Deng (cashes in big time and can cash in more in 2017 when cap rises again). Gives us a vet AND cap flexibility going forward. That's Plan C IMO.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject:

Yes....lets please get this march to the championship started
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
al242 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
al242 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
al242 wrote:

But assuming we don't, I can something like a massive 1 year 22-24m offer to Deng (cashes in big time and can cash in more in 2017 when cap rises again). Gives us a vet AND cap flexibility going forward. That's Plan C IMO.

I just barfed, I do not see Deng as anything more than a 5th option.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject:

I don't think we ever intentionally tanked, the result of the past few seasons were the result of ineptitude. However the front office will be hyperactive on the free agent market this offseason, as they will be facing a colossal PR failure if they finish low and lose a high lotto pick after next season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
al242 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
al242 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
al242 wrote:

I just barfed, I do not see Deng as anything more than a 5th option.

You're missing the point here. It's not that Deng is the penultimate move for us; it's just a 1 year cap holder deal so we can then move into a better 2017 FA market to get someone like WB AND another star.

Deng is still a versatile player that can be helpful to our young guys. Again, this is Plan C for me.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject:

Lottery
Lottery
Lottery

Dare I say... Playoff!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I don't think we ever intentionally tanked, the result of the past few seasons were the result of ineptitude. However the front office will be hyperactive on the free agent market this offseason, as they will be facing a colossal PR failure if they finish low and lose a high lotto pick after next season.

At this point, doesn't matter how we got here...we're here now. Don't want to really litigate the past, but I do see a blend of blind luck and planning.
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject:

I just hope to be competitive

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GreekTrojan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject:

Be wary everyone, this team is still massively young. Barring a great FA/one of the young picks turning into a superstar, we will still be a bottom five-ish roster/team. Remember KAT, Wiggins, LaVine and Rubio were still only three spots behind us in the draft and that doubling our wins still means were not close to the playoffs. Definately trending up but the 'tank' isn't magically over/we've got at least another season before we're back (if this roster proves itself, we can then land premier FAs, which we cannot do right now).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject:

GreekTrojan wrote:
Be wary everyone, this team is still massively young. Barring a great FA/one of the young picks turning into a superstar, we will still be a bottom five-ish roster/team. Remember KAT, Wiggins, LaVine and Rubio were still only three spots behind us in the draft and that doubling our wins still means were not close to the playoffs. Definately trending up but the 'tank' isn't magically over/we've got at least another season before we're back (if this roster proves itself, we can then land premier FAs, which we cannot do right now).

The TANK is over. The team isn't going to deliberately let the team float to the bottom like it did last year.

I wouldn't conflate bottom 5 with non-playoff. I can see the latter as a distinct possibility, but I would genuinely be surprised at another bottom 5 finish. Minny could never attract any FAs and had a mess of a coach last year.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject:

We have a very talented young core. I think we'll be competitive next year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

For once we are in agreement. While it may not be championships, or even playoffs, we aren't going to be a laughingstock like the last few years.

We have been browbeaten so much as a fanbase the past 3 years we've forgot what it feels like to be remotely competitive.

I'm very bullish on the Lakers in the next 2-3 years.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

For once we are in agreement. While it may not be championships, or even playoffs, we aren't going to be a laughingstock like the last few years.

We have been browbeaten so much as a fanbase the past 3 years we've forgot what it feels like to be remotely competitive.

I think we'll be life the mid 90s Lakers...entertaining but not quite legit contenders
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

I think we'll be life the mid 90s Lakers...entertaining but not quite legit contenders

Depends. A LOT can happen.

one of the byproducts of having so many young assets is that we now have trade chips if it comes down to it.

As much as I love our young guys, I think at best 50% of the guys listed above will be around for our next championship core.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20
Jump to: