The Fruits of 2013-16: I Declare that the Tank is Dead (RIP, 2013-16)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject:

funkthesuns wrote:
Hmmmmm. Tank over? I wouldn't be so sure.

I'll take being in that 5-8 range, and the ping pong balls bounce our way. If we're a bottom 3 team again next year, that means Luke and our young guys failed miserably.
funkthesuns
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
funkthesuns wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
Now that the Lakers have the #2 pick in 2016:

If the Lakers land one of the top 3 picks in 2017, then the picks go LA, PHILLY, LA in 2017-19, respectively, with Orlando getting LA's 2nd rounders in 2017 and 2018.

If the Lakers get the 4th pick or later in 2017, then the picks go PHILLY, LA, ORLANDO for 2017-19, respectively.

So the next three years, including whether LA gives up one first rounder or two, all hinges on the 2017 lottery. If the Lakers are IN the lottery, and their ping pong balls come up so they get one of the first three picks, then they keep two first rounders.

If we tank next season we get to keep our first round picks 2 out of the next 3 years.

If we don't tank, we get to keep our first round pick once of out of the next 3 years.

I am sure. Larry's post wasn't advocating or intimating that they would therefore tank. It was just stating the owed draft picks status.

Do you realize how badly this team would have to play to be in play for a top 3 pick. We won 17 games and it was basically a 50-50 proposition. That's the wrong message to send to its fan base and young players especially since we got a few studs with 2 #2 picks.

We had to tank hard the past few years because the sixers were tanking so hard. All the bottom feeders were following their suit. Hinkie and his infamous tanking are now gone from Philly so we likely won't have to compete with them tanking. We can still compete on the court but a bottom record may be inevitable so the tank might eventually be brought back to ensure we keep our draft pick in 2017. Declaring the tank is dead is premature. Believe it when you see it.
funkthesuns
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject:

Tanking led to us getting Ingram. The fan base now has hope. If tanking leads to us getting another potential superstar I'm sure the fan base will be equally excited.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

funkthesuns wrote:
Tanking led to us getting Ingram. The fan base now has hope. If tanking leads to us getting another potential superstar I'm sure the fan base will be equally excited.

And we got our guys. The most disastrous and likely outcome is we aren't the worst team (and our luck runs out lotto balls wise) and we propagate a culture of losing while again not being an attractive destination in 2017.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject:

what's a tank? If we win 25 games this year is that considered tanking? Personally i expect 30 or better. And i think the Lakers FO expects much more than 30. I think they expect to be in the playoff hunt late in the season.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
what's a tank? If we win 25 games this year is that considered tanking? Personally i expect 30 or better. And i think the Lakers FO expects much more than 30. I think they expect to be in the playoff hunt late in the season.

I don't know what they "expect" but to make any guesses at wins when half the roster is still TBD has high margin of error.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:

No. Tanking to me is a concerted decision to lose games to enhance the number of lotto balls.

A team can try its best to win and fall short with 28 wins and not be tanking.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject:

funkthesuns wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

If the Lakers land one of the top 3 picks in 2017, then the picks go LA, PHILLY, LA in 2017-19, respectively, with Orlando getting LA's 2nd rounders in 2017 and 2018.

If the Lakers get the 4th pick or later in 2017, then the picks go PHILLY, LA, ORLANDO for 2017-19, respectively.

So the next three years, including whether LA gives up one first rounder or two, all hinges on the 2017 lottery. If the Lakers are IN the lottery, and their ping pong balls come up so they get one of the first three picks, then they keep two first rounders.

If we tank next season we get to keep our first round picks 2 out of the next 3 years.

If we don't tank, we get to keep our first round pick once of out of the next 3 years.

Well if you are a loser that makes sense. The Lakers will likely be in the lottery, but not as a result of tanking. You would make a great 76er fan.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

I don't know what they "expect" but to make any guesses at wins when half the roster is still TBD has high margin of error.

Good point. Sure if they hit a home run in free agency everything changes but assuming they do ok or a more realistic FA haul happens (horford, derozen) then I think the expectations would be getting in the playoff hunt late in the season at least. Just a guess.
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

No. Tanking to me is a concerted decision to lose games to enhance the number of lotto balls.

This.

Expecting Lakers to be in that low 30 wins range which I would think is a fair improvement.

If the Lakers want to attractive to the top FA's in 2017, they need to get to be in the fight for that last playoff spot which means at least playing 0.500 ball.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

I still don't know if Byron was trying to tank or not
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject:

forever!

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
funkthesuns wrote:

And we got our guys. The most disastrous and likely outcome is we aren't the worst team (and our luck runs out lotto balls wise) and we propagate a culture of losing while again not being an attractive destination in 2017.

Thank you. QFT
funkthesuns
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
funkthesuns wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Well if you are a loser that makes sense. The Lakers will likely be in the lottery, but not as a result of tanking. You would make a great 76er fan.

So do u disagree with what the mamba said about tanking in the past...if u r gonna Suck, be the best at it he said.

Like it or not, the sixers tanking set them up nicely for years to come.

Tanking is a smart part of rebuilding. How do u think the cavs got lebron and the Spurs got Duncan? Thank u.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject:

funkthesuns wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
funkthesuns wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

So do u disagree with what the mamba said about tanking in the past...if u r gonna Suck, be the best at it he said.

Like it or not, the sixers tanking set them up nicely for years to come.

Tanking is a smart part of rebuilding. How do u think the cavs got lebron and the Spurs got Duncan? Thank u.

I'm not sure if Kobe really said that, but if he did, he's wrong.

There are times where that makes sense and other times where it doesnt. This season, it doesnt. We put development and learning what you need to do to win first, not lotto balls
funkthesuns
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject:

If tanking allows us to keep our draft pick next year, I'm all for it. We aren't winning the ship next year anyways. It's basically the honorable strategy (not tanking and being mediocre likely resulting in no first Rd draft pick) vs the logical one (tanking and keeping our pick, which will benefit us in the long run).

As far as the Player development argument...that comes with time, repetition, and studying the game. One more season of tanking won't affect that. We can focus on winning the following season when we lose our pick regardless. Fans are impatient wanting our team to make moves that result in us being mediocre. Patient, long-term moves is what will set us up for the opportunity to consistently contest for ships.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject:

funkthesuns wrote:
If tanking allows us to keep our draft pick next year, I'm all for it. We aren't winning the ship next year anyways. It's basically the honorable strategy (not tanking and being mediocre likely resulting in no first Rd draft pick) vs the logical one (tanking and keeping our pick, which will benefit us in the long run).

As far as the Player development argument...that comes with time, repetition, and studying the game. One more season of tanking won't affect that. We can focus on winning the following season when we lose our pick regardless. Fans are impatient wanting our team to make moves that result in us being mediocre. Patient, long-term moves is what will set us up for the opportunity to consistently contest for ships.

You're wrong. It's not about being mediocre, it's about development and progress.

The Lakers already got plenty of picks. The front office don't give a (bleep) about getting a 1st rounder next year and neither should the fans.

We're playing to win now and for the next 10-15 years.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
funkthesuns wrote:

You're wrong. It's not about being mediocre, it's about development and progress.

The Lakers already got plenty of picks. The front office don't give a (bleep) about getting a 1st rounder next year and neither should the fans.

We're playing to win now and for the next 10-15 years.

yup and see how hard it is to attract FA this summer, if we tank again, it'll be like FA repellant
funkthesuns
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject:

So we can't land free agents and u guys don't want to keep our first round pick. Guck winning now and the next 10-15 years with that plan.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject:

funkthesuns wrote:
So we can't land free agents and u guys don't want to keep our first round pick. Guck winning now and the next 10-15 years with that plan.

We won 17 games and look how miserably nail biting it as to get a top 3 pick.

We may not be a playoff guaranteed team but I'm fairly certain with our young guys and using cap space we will win too many games to realistically be in the bottom this year. Ergo we aren't going to deliberately steer our way there.
funkthesuns
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject:

If it becomes evident we aren't making playoffs, there's a good chance the kfc returns.
funkthesuns
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject:

*kft
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
funkthesuns wrote:

We won 17 games and look how miserably nail biting it as to get a top 3 pick.

We may not be a playoff guaranteed team but I'm fairly certain with our young guys and using cap space we will win too many games to realistically be in the bottom this year. Ergo we aren't going to deliberately steer our way there.

That's the other reason tanking wont make sense. We have players to develop now and only a what 50 pct chance or so to retain it. Not worth it.
zoogz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Hiring Luke indicated that the tank is over. It's only upward trajectory going forward.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject:

zoogz wrote:
Hiring Luke indicated that the tank is over. It's only upward trajectory going forward.

Bingo. You don't hire him to tank another year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 9 of 20
Jump to: