Is Westbrook more "LA - bound" than Klove ever was?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Is Westbrook more "LA - bound" than Klove ever was?

Everyone just assumes Westbrook will come to LA, but everyone assumed the same for Kevin Love, but obviously that did not happen. I don't think we should get that excited this time around either...
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Is Westbrook more "LA - bound" than Klove ever was?

15 wrote:
Everyone just assumes Westbrook will come to LA, but everyone assumed the same for Kevin Love, but obviously that did not happen. I don't think we should get that excited this time around either...

Love very well may have been LA bound before he ended up getting recruited by the best player in the world. Hard to turn that down, especially given how bad we were. Unless LeBron is looking for a new PG next year, I think we have a great shot at Westbrook.
Jbar805
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject:

the best player in the world had a great up and coming player traded for K. Love and now it looks like they are ready to run him out of town.

Love is soft.
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject:

We need to stop worrying about stuff that might never happen. If it does happen then great and we celebrate then.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject:

I don't hang all my hopes up on other teams players. Never have, never will. I love the Lakers and I love the young players we've acquired through the draft. If big FA's come, great. If not, I'm all for rolling the dice on who we got with some signings here and there to round out the team of course. If you look at most of the teams who are contending now, with the exception of the Spurs to an extent, it's all home grown/in house talent. I think we have that now.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:

How interested any FA is in the lakers in 2017 really depends on how well we show this year

I'm just looking forward to new era of Lakers basketball, I firmly believe we are on the right path
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject:

Westbrook is actually from LA, Love was from Oregon. So not close to the same thing.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject:

WB
DLO
Ingram
Randle
Horford

Your 2017 La Lakers.
Kingpin2010
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject:

Don't forget Paul George in 2018 as well, that's a fire gone conclusion too I guess.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Is Westbrook more "LA - bound" than Klove ever was?

Username wrote:
15 wrote:

Love very well may have been LA bound before he ended up getting recruited by the best player in the world. Hard to turn that down, especially given how bad we were. Unless LeBron is looking for a new PG next year, I think we have a great shot at Westbrook.

The best player in the world is still n° 30 . A couple of games with him injured and the team gassed, (not to mention the League rigging the Finals), is not changing what has been done the last two seasons...
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject:

1. Love aint about this life (although I did love his Austin 3:16 shirt and title belt). WB is about this life.
2. Love aint from Southern Cali. Sure he was born in Santa Monica, but he grew up in Oregon. RW is. Born in the LBC. Grew up in Hawthorne.
3. Love can't kill you. RW will
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject:

krisobe wrote:
WB
DLO
Ingram
Randle
Horford

Your 2017 La Lakers.

This coming year is your 2017 Lakers. The WB year would be 2018, but I don't want such a physical point guard who was never efficient to begin with, and who will turn 30 in 2018. His game will not age gracefully.
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject:

As sad as this sounds, Paul George might be the most realistic player to come to LA. He will be 28 in 2 years. Still in his prime. Indiana will not be winning the title anytime soon and gets worse as the years go. Cap is going up another 20 million next year. Lakers are going to be developed in 2 years with their young guys, sliding George in would probably put them in title contention by 2018-19 season.

So, Lakers are probably looking at that window right there. If anything happens this offseason, I hope they choose the correct front court guys. Guys that rebound and can close off the lane and shoot from the perimeter. It may take 3 guys to do that but Cleveland and OKC showed how to stop small ball with those kind of players.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject:

krisobe wrote:

WB
DLO
Ingram
Randle
Horford

Your 2017 La Lakers.

Whiteside is three years younger than Horford and a lot less NBA miles on him, swap those two and I am down...!

Westbrook
DLO
Ingram
Randle
Whiteside
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject:

OX1947 wrote:
As sad as this sounds, Paul George might be the most realistic player to come to LA. He will be 28 in 2 years. Still in his prime. Indiana will not be winning the title anytime soon and gets worse as the years go. Cap is going up another 20 million next year. Lakers are going to be developed in 2 years with their young guys, sliding George in would probably put them in title contention by 2018-19 season.

So, Lakers are probably looking at that window right there. If anything happens this offseason, I hope they choose the correct front court guys. Guys that rebound and can close off the lane and shoot from the perimeter. It may take 3 guys to do that but Cleveland and OKC showed how to stop small ball with those kind of players.

The problem with George is the cap. In 2018, the cap is expected to drop after 2017. If Clarkson signs a poison pill, he will be making >$20M in 2018-2019 (and thereby have a massive cap hold). And Randle will also be an RFA due for money (if he progresses like we hope). This can be avoided by giving him the QO (not sure if you keep his bird rights though).

Of course, we can either horde cap space or dump some of the expensive contracts if you think a 28 y/o Paul George gets you over the hump.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject:

Is it wrong me since we are so use too of getting stars via trade that I want to stop that and breed homegrown talent? Plus, WB will be 30 in 2018 and I don't want a player that is 30+
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

The problem with George is the cap. In 2018, the cap is expected to drop after 2017. If Clarkson signs a poison pill, he will be making >$20M in 2018-2019 (and thereby have a massive cap hold). And Randle will also be an RFA due for money (if he progresses like we hope). This can be avoided by giving him the QO (not sure if you keep his bird rights though).

Of course, we can either horde cap space or dump some of the expensive contracts if you think a 28 y/o Paul George gets you over the hump.

Then we would have to make sure we stayed under the apron so we could do a S&T.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

Hopefully the FO does not bank on Westbrook coming. It's ridiculous to assume such a thing when multiple teams what him including OKC.

Lakers need to land one or two very solid pieces this off season and if the stars are aligned for RW to come over fine but Lakers need to get out of the dumpster and become winners for FA's to take us seriously.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject:

True Lakers Fan wrote:
Is it wrong me since we are so use too of getting stars via trade that I want to stop that and breed homegrown talent? Plus, WB will be 30 in 2018 and I don't want a player that is 30+
A concern I have for Rusty is how he will transition his game once that athleticism starts to wane.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

The Pacers need to agree to that, yeah?
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject:

It's pointless to worry about Westbrook at this point. We have bigger fish to fry in this year's free agency. We can revisit this topic next summer although I personally don't think WB will be high on our priority list given Luke's system and the projected development of our young guys. I think the FO will target a better fit for our team.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
A concern I have for Rusty is how he will transition his game once that athleticism starts to wane.

Agreed
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Rumors are Love wanted to meet with the Lakers, the Lakers weren't willing to offer max until LA got settled so he reupped with Cleveland.

Worked out best for both. With Love the Lakers don't get Ingram, and I'd rather the Lakers still have more cap and Ingram.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Westbrook more "LA - bound" than Klove ever was?

15 wrote:

People assume these things because they're stupid.

Seriously, people always try to link some players to whatever team is in or near their hometown, no matter how nonsensical it may be.

I'm so thankful we dodged that Kevin Love bullet. Pretty much everything I said about him turned out to be true.

Westbrook is an amazing player, but there's no reason for him to want to sign with the Lakers while they're rebuilding. It's nearly as absurd as Kevin Love leaving a team that was just in the WCF to play for a team that's missed the playoffs 3 straight seasons.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

The Pacers need to agree to that, yeah?

Yes
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: