Is Westbrook more "LA - bound" than Klove ever was?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Westbrook more "LA - bound" than Klove ever was?

Truck Turner wrote:
15 wrote:
Everyone just assumes Westbrook will come to LA, but everyone assumed the same for Kevin Love, but obviously that did not happen. I don't think we should get that excited this time around either...

People assume these things because they're stupid.

Seriously, people always try to link some players to whatever team is in or near their hometown, no matter how nonsensical it may be.

I'm so thankful we dodged that Kevin Love bullet. Pretty much everything I said about him turned out to be true.

Westbrook is an amazing player, but there's no reason for him to want to sign with the Lakers while they're rebuilding. It's nearly as absurd as Kevin Love leaving a team that was just in the WCF to play for a team that's missed the playoffs 3 straight seasons.

Spot on response!
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject:

No Westbrook isn't, but I don't understand why "laker fans" just can't be patient and appreciative of our up and coming stars. smh
lakerhaterhater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Even if he is, I hope we don't go there. As much I like Russ, handing a Franchise over to him, with his nerve and at his age would be a terrible idea
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject:

He's the most realistic top 10 player that we can get, but I doubt the Lakers trade for him knowing he's a FA.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
No Westbrook isn't, but I don't understand why "laker fans" just can't be patient and appreciative of our up and coming stars. smh

So then you would've turned down Shaq/Gasol/Wilt/Kareem because it shows impatience and you would rather wait for our home grown stars?

What if Durant goes to the Warriors or Spurs? I think the chances of Westbrook signing here greatly increase especially if we're able to sign two other max FA's in the next two years to go along with him.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject:

I don't pay attention to any of that stuff. It's ridiculous and most often wrong. Lakers need to work with what we have, not depend on free agent superstars flocking to us for no real reason. We've got the tools (cap space, young talent), so make the team appealing. Just don't make the mistake of trading for Westbrook unless we get a guaranteed extension. If he wants to be here, he can sign with us.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

So then you would've turned down Shaq/Gasol/Wilt/Kareem because it shows impatience and you would rather wait for our home grown stars?

What if Durant goes to the Warriors or Spurs? I think the chances of Westbrook signing here greatly increase especially if we're able to sign two other max FA's in the next two years to go along with him.

We still had to be patient for years, before we got any of those you names and we also seen what we had, before getting those names. We don't know what we have yet; all we know is we have potential, right now. We don't even know which areas we need to upgrade in, who we're upgrading, who will fit with what we're trying to do, etc... I have an idea who will fit with who we have, and then you have some that'll disrupt what we have.
Kooper 21
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Timing is everything. Westbrooks best friend in the NBA is Harden. If Harden had 4 years left, the Lakers wouldnt have any leverage in a trade. However, after this upcoming year, Harden has 1 year left. This will not play out like the Kevin Love saga because Harden doesnt feel beholden to the Rockets like Love did to the Wolves. All harden has to say is he isnt signing with any team next summer other than the Lakers and its a wrap. No team will trade picks and players for a rental. However the Celtics will get desperate and they will trade all their picks and their best players. Then they lose their picks, players, and Harden leaves them and Ainge is fired by the owner.
legend825
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject:

Eeeeh, that's a stretch. Don't see Harden and WB teaming together in 2 years over here. Players of that caliber want to win immediately and unfortunately its gonna take us awhile to compete. I don't really see any game changers available in trades either. If nobody of substance comes again, I wonder if LA will attempt a trade for Greg Monroe or some other player a team wants to get rid of.
Kooper 21
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject:

legend825 wrote:
Eeeeh, that's a stretch. Don't see Harden and WB teaming together in 2 years over here. Players of that caliber want to win immediately and unfortunately its gonna take us awhile to compete. I don't really see any game changers available in trades either. If nobody of substance comes again, I wonder if LA will attempt a trade for Greg Monroe or some other player a team wants to get rid of.

Its actually 3 years. They wont be avilable for the 2018-2019 season. By then, the Lakers wont have a rookie, 2nd year man, and two 3rd year guys in the starting lineup. The Landscape of the NBA will change drastically in 3 years. Duncan and Manu will be gone. The Grizz will be lottery bound. The OKC Thunder will be done without Durant and Westbrook. The West will have many new up and coming teams like the Blazers, Wolves, and Suns. I dont think either one of those teams needs a SG or PG expect the Suns needing a PG.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject:

Here is something else to consider:

Laker fans should hope that Durant does leave the Thunder, because that will surely make Westbrook want to leave and what better place to go than the Lakers who will have the next "Durant" in Ingram...!
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

This is how I feel right now.

People need to accept that "The Decision" and the current CBA has changed free agency.

There's way more financial incentive for players to stay with the teams that drafted them. Players want to make sure that if they take the PR hit to move to another team it's a team that's built ti win as soon as possible.

The Lakers put off doing a complete rebuild for as long as possible. Everything from the new CBA, the Veto, to Kobe's injuries/contract put the Lakers in a position where they weren't able to really start a rebuild till this past season. In that time every other team has either gone through a rebuild or had a stable core of proven stars.

The best thing this team can do is continue down it's current path and build up the young core. I honestly feel as if we have right now what OKC and Golden state had six years ago, we just need to be patient and let our guys develop.

Too many people want to mortgage the future just for a chance to make playoff run now.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject:

There'll be a significant multi-year change required in the Laker W-L pattern before guys such as Love or Westbrook accept a position here. We're bottom feeders for now, for at least another two seasons IMO. The league's top twenty talents (all NBA, All Star) won't sign here as FAs before the club wins a playoff series in two consecutive seasons. It's inconceivable otherwise to me.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Here is something else to consider:

Laker fans should hope that Durant does leave the Thunder, because that will surely make Westbrook want to leave and what better place to go than the Lakers who will have the next "Durant" in Ingram...!

If Durant leaves, OKC probably trades Westbrook this summer.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

The Lakers were already a young playoff team before Shaq was brought it, they also traded for Kobe at the same time. The addition of Shaq made the team immediate contenders.

Before Gasol was traded to the Lakers they already had a good mix of young talent and seasoned vets that managed to have one of the best records in the league that season. The Pau trade was necessary because Bynum got hurt, and it was a move that put it in immediate contention.

The Lakers had continually been contenders when Wilt was brought in to play alongside Jerry West and Elgin Baylor. Wilt's along with the addition of a few other veteran is what got the team over the hump finally.

Kareem is the only guy that came to a struggling Lakers team, and even with him being as great as he was the team still missed the playoffs. It wasn't until Magic was drafted that Showtime was born.

The overall point is that you have to build a solid foundation in order to lure free agents. Right now all the Lakers have is talented core with potential that has yet to be realized. Virtually all of the top players in the league are in win now mode, and all the Lakers can offer is a 2-3 year plan. Even most all star caliber players aren't looking to be part of a rebuild, they're trying to get paid AND find places where they can win. That's why I'm not holding my breath on the Lakers bringing in Hortford or Derozan. Whiteside is realistic, but only because the Heat have made it clear they intend to lowball him.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Kevin Love never made it to free agency. He might have joined the Lakers if he was an unrestricted free agent. All in the past though.

Let's see if Westbrook becomes a free agent first.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Westbrook more "LA - bound" than Klove ever was?

15 wrote:
Everyone just assumes Westbrook will come to LA, but everyone assumed the same for Kevin Love, but obviously that did not happen. I don't think we should get that excited this time around either...

Agreed. Let it be. If it happens it happens.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject:

To borrow from someone in the Mosgov thread in the main forum, yeah, Westbrook just can't wait to team up with Timofey. . . .
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Will be interesting to see what "the rock of the westies" decides to do, IDK, but he might be more amenable to coming back to LA than Droz was.
etmo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject:

Probably not LA-bound, but he's def leaving now that KD is gone.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject:

etmo wrote:
Probably not LA-bound, but he's def leaving now that KD is gone.

Maybe Spurs next year? They do need a PG especially when TP is declining rapidly.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject:

We could actually get Westbrook now if we wanted to without giving up any of our Guards:
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zojr5g8

I would do that trade and throw in the future 2nd round pics that we got from Chicago to sweeten the deal... That's more than enough to acquire Westbrook NOW for the Lakers without giving up the Majority of our Young Core.

Deng can slide over to the 4 spot or we could pick one up in Free Agency and we are looking a lot better already!

Russell / Calderon
Westbrook / Clarkson
Ingram / Brown
Deng /Nance Jr.
Mozgov /

Why Lakers do it: REALLY???
Why OKC Does it: With a game away from the finals and losing a 3-1 series lead over GSW, the Thunder go into fully REBUILD mode and scrap all big salaries and start over. They will have a good young core of Randle + Payne + Adams to start the rebuild with. They would have leverage with the Pics they acquire and will be a sure shot Lottery team to look to obtain a pic within the top 5. Not to mention $$$ to spend in next years free Agency and could easily go after Blake Griffin or Giannis!

It's a dream of course, but IT IS POSSIBLE!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: