Report: Lakers, Wizards won't get Kevin Durant meeting, Knicks might
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Phil Jackson coming through
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:

I'm sure that will make some of our resident Knick fans happy.

!...
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:

I'm sure that will make some of our resident Knick fans happy.

Hopefully the distraction gives the Lakers the opportunity to land some solid pieces...
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
KD will be coward if the goes to Boston and plays in the weak eastern conference.

I pray he goes to Boston. It would guarantee Westbrook gives LA a shot next year. Even if it weren't Boston, leaving OKC guarantees the Lakers have a legit shot at Westbrook next year. Now with that, Lakers need to hit on at least 2 free agents that can make a difference right away while the young guys develop. So, right now, I'm not going to include anyone that isn't going to be realistic.

Parsons isnt getting the max in Dallas, which means, Lakers have a shot with him. Lakers are already rumored to go after Whiteside hard and he has said some nice things about Staples. So, let's stick with that at the moment. Durant goes East, Boston lets say, now, Westbrook will be out next year. If the Laker get Parsons and Whiteside, they have their future defensive center and a guy who can shoot the lights out. Add Westbrook next year and this is your lineup for 2017-18:

Whiteside
Ingram
Parsons
Russell
Westbrook

Randle
Nance Jr.
Clarkson

Too many if's but I am just playing with some hope with a little realism. This would look better once free agency is over. But that team right there if Whiteside doesn't bring the negative, and Parsons plays 70 games a year and all playoffs, could be a nasty team.

However, my feel in the end here is Durant stays in OKC. So, all this will have to be tabled til next year.
Lakers5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Not the end of the world. He wasn't going to come here with the current roster. We all knew that. He wants to win now.

At least the Lakers can move on now and go after guys they might be able to get and focus on that. There's other players that can help not named Kevin Durant.

I personally think he's going to ride it out one more year in OKC with Westbrook anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
KD will be coward if the goes to Boston and plays in the weak eastern conference.

Why? Aren't the Cavs the defending champs?
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
32 wrote:

I pray he goes to Boston. It would guarantee Westbrook gives LA a shot next year. Even if it weren't Boston, leaving OKC guarantees the Lakers have a legit shot at Westbrook next year. Now with that, Lakers need to hit on at least 2 free agents that can make a difference right away while the young guys develop. So, right now, I'm not going to include anyone that isn't going to be realistic.

Parsons isnt getting the max in Dallas, which means, Lakers have a shot with him. Lakers are already rumored to go after Whiteside hard and he has said some nice things about Staples. So, let's stick with that at the moment. Durant goes East, Boston lets say, now, Westbrook will be out next year. If the Laker get Parsons and Whiteside, they have their future defensive center and a guy who can shoot the lights out. Add Westbrook next year and this is your lineup for 2017-18:

Whiteside
Ingram
Parsons
Russell
Westbrook

Randle
Nance Jr.
Clarkson

Too many if's but I am just playing with some hope with a little realism. This would look better once free agency is over. But that team right there if Whiteside doesn't bring the negative, and Parsons plays 70 games a year and all playoffs, could be a nasty team.

However, my feel in the end here is Durant stays in OKC. So, all this will have to be tabled til next year.

I like your reasoning here a lot.
Signing a few key players this year, like Whiteside and Parsons, would be great. Maybe we miss out on the home run, but I kind of feel like the Lakers are a year away from being considered a great destination for a superstar FA.
And like you say, if KD does do a 1+1 in OKC, he will be on the market again next year (possibly).
Next season is a better year for marquee FA's anyway.
Lou and Nick could be easily moved next offseason, and that savings plus the cap increase would give us enough room for a max like Westbrook. Plus we'd be full of major assets, unlike the last few years.
If we were able to add Whiteside and Parsons, we would have enough to add someone like Lee or Afflalo (in the 12-14 mil range), and still have a super max space next season with moving Lou/Nick.

2016/17
DLo/Clarkson
Lee/Lou
Parsons/Ingram/Brown
Randle/Nance
Whiteside/Black/Zubac

That's a solid team that could compete for a playoff spot with the right coaching and growth of the young guns.

2017/18
Westbrook/Clarkson
Russell/Lee
Parsons/Ingram
Randle/Nance
Whiteside/Zubac

That's a young, deep, versatile team that could challenge the top teams. Plus, we'd have serious assets to move if the right trade came along.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
osj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject:

IMHO we're better off not even getting a meeting, and for KD to just quickly re-sign with OKC or sign with a contender. I think it's never been likely that KD would come to the Lakers, so why have a meeting and give the press an opportunity to build drama about the Lakers being unable to sign free agents?

We should focus on guys that can grow with or give veteran tutelage to our young core, with a long-term plan to be contenders in 3-4 years' time. And keep our powder dry for summer 2017 when I think we have better chances in free agency.

I'd be happy if we secure Whiteside as our center going forward. Russell-Clarkson-Ingram-Randle-Whiteside is going to be a fantastic starting five in 2-3 years.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Report: Lakers, Wizards won't get Kevin Durant meeting, Knicks might

LandsbergerRules wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

Guess it's good if he saves our time unlike Melo, Aldridge situation in last two years. We could go for realistic targets right away.

KD is saving our front office from themselves lol.

I want to be mad at KD...but this is so true. News from the Laker front office is that they are still holding out hope for a meeting.

Cue "Dumb and Dumber"...."You're telling me there's still a chance?"
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Us I understand . The wiz are a kd away from finals.
lakertang
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject:

I just think that the KD vs SAS petty argument in the media is causing KD to not even schedule a meeting to hear us out. Optics is a big factor here. We weren't atop his wishlist but not even meeting with the Lakers to see what they can do for you is absurd.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject:

I really don't get the argument that KD will not be considering the Lakers cause we are not ready to win now....sign KD, and 2 other max or close to max players....trade a young player away for a vet, and our roster is as good as anyones...or would have a chance to be. Also, it would be "his" team. May take a year to work out some kinks, then add another piece next summer and it would be loaded.

Oh well, I am not against developing our young core and adding quality young vets.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Us I understand . The wiz are a kd away from finals.

I doubt that. I would take Cleveland over Wiz+KD in the playoffs.

Cleveland has the better roster, and Playoff LeBron > Playoff KD.
BruceLeroy1985
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject:

No one wants to play with Kobe.... oh wait...
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject:

i wish we had a shot, at least. However, if this is true, I'm glad he was straightforward about it so Lakers don't waste time.

Last edited by 27 on Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kirby Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
Derrick Rose, Carmelo, Durant, Porzingis.

If theyre all healthy that's probably 2nd best team in the East.

Looks like Kobe, Dwight, Nash and Gasol all over again. And in some ways it's worse because at least Kobe and Gasol won rings. Rose reminds me of Nash with the injuries and Carmelo reminds me of Dwight-another big name who never won anything. In fact Carmelo has won less than Howard.

This?

http://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mba7mnbJIu1ruj0bpo1_1280.jpg
PurpleAndGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
32 wrote:

Whiteside
Ingram
Parsons
Russell
Westbrook

Randle
Nance Jr.
Clarkson

I stopped reading after "I pray he goes to Boston"
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Tbh, if he doesn't want to come here then why have a meeting anyway. Last year LMA met with like 10 teams and it was kind of ridiculous. This way the Lakers won't waste time trying to sign him.

If we somehow managed to flip all our young guys for stars, then I could see him interested. Thats pure pipe though.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
Derrick Rose, Carmelo, Durant, Porzingis.

If theyre all healthy that's probably 2nd best team in the East.

Put KD on the Nets and they're in the ECF. That's how (bleep) the East is
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16510998/los-angeles-lakers-aggressively-pursue-hassan-whiteside-free-agency

Quote:
The Lakers, like the Heat, are still hopeful of securing a face-to-face recruiting meeting with Oklahoma City Thunder star Kevin Durant once free agency season commences at 12:01 a.m. on July 1.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject:

This is good news if true

We need to STOP WASTING TIME on players like that when we are a 15 win team
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
I'd pull for KD to win a title anywhere, but Golden State. Had them down 3-1 and not being able to close them out, then ditching your fans to join them. That is weak in my book. I can feel the OKC fanbase pain if that were to happen.

Yep and Seattle eats baked Salmon with Asparagus and washes it down with those tears. Screw Clay Bennett. It's time to pay the piper.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16510998/los-angeles-lakers-aggressively-pursue-hassan-whiteside-free-agency

Quote:
The Lakers, like the Heat, are still hopeful of securing a face-to-face recruiting meeting with Oklahoma City Thunder star Kevin Durant once free agency season commences at 12:01 a.m. on July 1.

I'd wish they let it go and focus in on Whiteside and a complimentary starter in order to bring Clarkson off the bench. I'm thinking Bazemore.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject:

Robster8989 wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
32 wrote:

Whiteside
Ingram
Parsons
Russell
Westbrook

Randle
Nance Jr.
Clarkson

I like your reasoning here a lot.
Signing a few key players this year, like Whiteside and Parsons, would be great. Maybe we miss out on the home run, but I kind of feel like the Lakers are a year away from being considered a great destination for a superstar FA.
And like you say, if KD does do a 1+1 in OKC, he will be on the market again next year (possibly).
Next season is a better year for marquee FA's anyway.
Lou and Nick could be easily moved next offseason, and that savings plus the cap increase would give us enough room for a max like Westbrook. Plus we'd be full of major assets, unlike the last few years.
If we were able to add Whiteside and Parsons, we would have enough to add someone like Lee or Afflalo (in the 12-14 mil range), and still have a super max space next season with moving Lou/Nick.

2016/17
DLo/Clarkson
Lee/Lou
Parsons/Ingram/Brown
Randle/Nance
Whiteside/Black/Zubac

That's a solid team that could compete for a playoff spot with the right coaching and growth of the young guns.

2017/18
Westbrook/Clarkson
Russell/Lee
Parsons/Ingram
Randle/Nance
Whiteside/Zubac

That's a young, deep, versatile team that could challenge the top teams. Plus, we'd have serious assets to move if the right trade came along.

Parsons is a free agent now and supposedly he's looking to be maxed. Which I believe is 22m/year. Not sure if we're going to pay that money to keep Ingram on the bench or to move him to the 2 or 4. Not saying Parsons isn't a nice offensive player when healthy.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject:

I'm glad KD is saving us from ourselves. I know this year is different because we have 60m in cap space so we have the freedom to pursue multiple max players, but we have quite a few role play spots to fill. I think Mitch made us all proud when he said we'll pursue Whiteside. We have a giant hole at center. We need a center that can block and alter shots, who can rebound, and who can be an enforcer. We could also use a C. Lee who can 3&D while letting Clarkson be our bench guy.

If we did that, maybe then we could pursue a Lebron or more realistically a Westbrook the following off-season. Our core will hopefully look more impressive and maybe, just maybe we'll be an exciting destination for free agents again.

Don't get me wrong. KD would do wonders for us. But he's not coming here and there is no need to waste anyone's time.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12
Jump to: