Who Should Be the Team Captain This Year?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who Should Be the Team Captain?
D'Angelo Russell
25%
 25%  [ 38 ]
Jordan Clarkson
17%
 17%  [ 26 ]
Julius Randle
8%
 8%  [ 13 ]
Brandon Ingram
6%
 6%  [ 9 ]
Free Agent Veteran Signing
30%
 30%  [ 45 ]
Other
10%
 10%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 147

Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
The correct Answer is whoever Luke thinks deserves it most.

We know next to nothing about how good or bad any of these guys would be as leaders. We're not there with any of them day in and day and out and what a player does on the court doesn't necessarily mean they're fit to lead. Luke has had the opportunities to study under some great leaders throughout his career all of whom had very different styles of leadership. I trust that Luke will be pick the right person to be the captain of this team.

Well, I was hoping to get your opinion, at this moment in time. You don't have one?

Not an informed one.....

I know some people think Russell is the obvious choice, but that seems to stem more from the fact that he was a #2 and has "swagger", but I've always felt like he expects to be great more than he wants to be great (if that makes any sense). The kid has the potential to be a superstar in the league IMO, but he's also go some growing up to do. There's also no getting around his mistake with leak of the Nick Young vid, so respect is going to harder to come by for him than the others.

Julius seems to be the fiercest competitor on the team, but by his own admission he's more of a "Lead by example" sort of guy. I don't think that'll be enough for a team this young. He's clearly driven though and seems to be on a mission to prove all his doubter wrong.

It's hard to get a read on Clarkson, there are times were he seems to be the most mature out of the young player, other times he finds himself in situations that make him look bad.

Ingram is a complete unknown, the most you can say is that Duke is known for recruiting high character guys and while those players rarely turn out to be superstars they generally have successful NBA careers because of their professionalism, work ethic, and leadership.

Lou Williams and Brandon Bass (if he re-signs) are solid veterans but I don't know if you want them to be the captains of your young team.

If I was to say what player I was leaning most towards it'd be Randle, but he's gonna have to speak up more and play better defense to earn the respect necessary from his teammates.

Last edited by Truck Turner on Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Probably a vet free agent.

Richard Jefferson maybe fresh off a championship?

Richard Jefferson immediately announced his retirement after the Cavs won. If he's with the Lakers it'll be as an assistant coach.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject:

Randle won't be a bad idea. Maybe he will start thinking about team ball more.
VanCity
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject:

Randle
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject:

Team needs a role model, none of the actual Kids has the clout to be just that, right now. I'd wait until FA'cy is over and see if we get a solid player that could fill those shoes.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject:

HIBBERT
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Hibbert would be perfect if he returns.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Out of the kids, Nance would be the best.
If any of MWP, Bass, Hibbert returned, them. If none, I'd rather it be a vet FA.

Never heard of Lou being a leader.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Probably a vet free agent.

Richard Jefferson maybe fresh off a championship?

Richard Jefferson immediately announced his retirement after the Cavs won. If he's with the Lakers it'll be as an assistant coach.

He then said a couple days later he will probably come back for one year.

Most likely with the Cavs, I'm sure, unless someone gives him a nice check for a year.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Probably Lou and unless we sign a veteran FA, my money is on either Russell or JC being the second captain.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject:

As of now. It should be randle and dlo
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
We don't know what JC upside is. He was the leading scorer last year on a team full of chuckers. He will most likely be the leading scorer this year as well.

Can you not do this in every single thread?

And if Clarkson is the leading scorer next year, the Lakers will have a very disappointing season

THIS
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Is there only one team captain? I always thought there was at least 3.

Usually one. The only time I remember there being three was Shaq/Kobe/Fox.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson or Randle.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
As for the roster as of now, Lou Williams.

I agree.

Lou Williams
818fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:
Randle is the only one that can speak cltooearly & intelligently. He's just more mature than the others. None of them are great choices, but Randle is the only one I can see as a possible leader.

Edit: I wasn't thinking of Nance. He would be the other possibility. But none of them deserve it at this point.

Tarik Black actually speaks very clearly and intellegently too
Genaro
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Nick is the obvious answer right here
Joking.

I hope we sign a FA with leaderships qualities and he becomes the captain. Someone like Afflalo, Batum or Horford (though they might be looking to play in a contender). Parsons and Whiteside shouldn't be considered even if we sign them.
Metta, Bass and Huertas should be considered if they come back.

Out of the young guys, Ingram seems to fit the position but he's a rookie. DLO will eventually be the captain, but it isn't the time yet. And the whole video leak thing is still fresh on everyone's minds. Nance and Clarkson don't seem to be very vocal. I would go with Julius, but like I said I hope we can pick up a FA to be the captain.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Better yet, do they even need to name a team captain? Is that required? 'Cause this might be the kind of season and team where it would make sense to skip that. I assume that if you can have three, you can also have none.
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject:

My answer is OTHER. The Lakers don't need a captain, not yet, not now.

It's pretty obvious to me that none of the young guys are ready to be the captain of your Los Angeles Lakers. A captain is responsible for being a leader and an organizer, one who sets the bar for performance and helps convey the coach's vision to the rest of the team.

The young guys are too busy developing their own games; they are the ones requiring direction and are no where close to being in the position of helping guide others. Russell, Clarkson, Randall, Nance, and probably Ingram are all still learning the basic fundamentals of playing NBA level basketball. All of these guys have the ability to drop a bunch of points in a short period, but collectively, none of them have the ability to stop anyone on defense. The concept of team isn't fully established.

A free agent vet could become the captain, but it depends on who. Not saying the Lakers would sign any of these guys, but players like Lebron, Durant, Conley, Pau, Derozan, Horford, etc. would be no-brainers as captains. With other FA guys like Parsons, Batum, Deng, Barnes, etc., it becomes less definitive.

In lieu of a big FA signing, I'd say wait until the middle of the season or possibly next season before announcing a captain and see who emerges. Until somebody creates a body of work that makes him the clear choice, why bother even having a captain? IMO, it's a rather insignificant title.

Iggy and Curry are the captains of the Warriors, but it's pretty clear to me that Draymond Green is the man.

I don't remember whether or not the Lakers had a captain during Shaq-Kobe era, didn't they go without a captain? However, that was veteran team with guys like Shaw, Harper, Fox, Horry, etc., so they probably didn't need one.

I remember Kobe and Fish being captains, but that didn't happen until Phil's 2nd run with the Lakers.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject:

I think DLo with how he has handled the video has proven himself.

And I dont think there is a FA we are likely to get who would be Captain.

I think it should be DLo but I really like where Ingrams head is at but you have to have at least a year in the NBA.

Any thoughts on Nance? Seems very mature and responsible

#BannersOverBillboards
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
We don't know what JC upside is. He was the leading scorer last year on a team full of chuckers. He will most likely be the leading scorer this year as well.

Can you not do this in every single thread?

And if Clarkson is the leading scorer next year, the Lakers will have a very disappointing season

THIS

Who else would be the leading scorer?? Unless we are picking up a big free agent, i don't see why Clarkson wouldn't be the leading scorer again.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject:

I'm as big a Russell guy as you'll find, but he's not ready to be the captain of this team. I do see him becoming that guy some time down the line because he has the confidence and swagger that can draw guys together. But he's not at a place where I see him being ready for that title and responsibility.

Of the kids, I'd say that Nance seems to have the best temperament for it. He's a hard-working, team-first guy who doesn't care about individual accolades. But I'm inclined to agree with the guys saying that maybe we shouldn't have one until someone emerges (assuming there isn't a FA signing who warrants it).
lakerlove123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject:

It'd be nice to have the whole team be self-steering "captains." I have a feeling it'll be something that just comes naturally rather than is 'anointed,' and I think the young guns will naturally look toward Jordan (barring a FA who's gotten beaucoup de high level experience, a la Horford) as the one who's played the longest, is the oldest, and has taken the most initiative to transform himself from a mid 2nd-round pick to hopeful star.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject:

The same person who gets Kobe's locker
infoman2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject:

This must be a joke, you guys selected Russell to be the captain??? I hope this is a joke, the same guy that secretly records another teammate conversations? come on here....

My vote is Randle
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: