Management Is Growing Along With The Young Guys
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Management Is Growing Along With The Young Guys

The Lakers are a prestigious and historic organization. We are the preeminent NBA global brand....

With that said...

This organization won 17 games last year and has set a franchise record for losses in each of the last three years. Yes, we can agree that we haven't had the players to win more games. But we also haven't had the management or ownership to improve the situation either.

This is the first time Mitch, Jim, and Jenie have had to build a team from the ground up. Kobe isn't saving us anymore. There is no Jerry West level player evaluating going on here. Dr. Buss isn't here to seal deals. We no longer have the palm tree star power advantage over other organizations. This is a totally organic build and the fans are going to be disappointed until our young guys mature. If it even happens...

Mitch, Jim, and Jeanie have their work cut out for them big time... Baby steps should be our expectation. If you expect more that this, you'll be disappointed for sure.

Last edited by Darth Los Angeles on Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject:

I tend to be very optimistic about that organic approach though.

I also have some confidence the Buss kids have learned from the mistakes and realities of the past couple years. The infighting, the poor choices in tactics to draw free agents and the idiotic public comments.

Hopefully they will let the basketball minds do their thing. Kupchak, West and Walton have a vision for the future. Let them build it even if it takes a couple years to accomplish. Lakers will not have a complete squad after just one free agency. Just need to land a couple pieces to the puzzle to go along with the young players.

Not sure if this was discussed yet. But I read an article today about the young core. When the Lakers had Ingram in for his workout and dinner. He invited Russell, Randle, Nance, Brown and Clarkson to attend. They were there during the workout and then went to dinner with him. Coaches and staff sat at another table to let the young guys have some space.

Brilliant move by Kupchak IMO. Chemistry has been poor the past couple of seasons. Getting this core group to build some is going to pay off in the long run.

This is a new time and experience for the Lakers. But they have a great head start IMO. I am expecting a dramatic improvement this season for a variety of reasons. Front office/coaching leadership being one of them.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject:

In short let Mitch, Ryan, and Luke recruit the players, and all the Buss Kids have to do is bring the checkbook like their daddy used too.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I tend to be very optimistic about that organic approach though.

I also have some confidence the Buss kids have learned from the mistakes and realities of the past couple years. The infighting, the poor choices in tactics to draw free agents and the idiotic public comments.

Hopefully they will let the basketball minds do their thing. Kupchak, West and Walton have a vision for the future. Let them build it even if it takes a couple years to accomplish. Lakers will not have a complete squad after just one free agency. Just need to land a couple pieces to the puzzle to go along with the young players.

Not sure if this was discussed yet. But I read an article today about the young core. When the Lakers had Ingram in for his workout and dinner. He invited Russell, Randle, Nance, Brown and Clarkson to attend. They were there during the workout and then went to dinner with him. Coaches and staff sat at another table to let the young guys have some space.

Brilliant move by Kupchak IMO. Chemistry has been poor the past couple of seasons. Getting this core group to build some is going to pay off in the long run.

This is a new time and experience for the Lakers. But they have a great head start IMO. I am expecting a dramatic improvement this season for a variety of reasons. Front office/coaching leadership being one of them.

This is the reason why I don't want the Lakers to go out and bring in someone like Durant, Lebron, Melo, etc... Whiteside or Horford are as far I'll go with players being close to 30 years old or older just because we have a gaping hole at center.

The Lakers have to build something here first. We are not on schedule with Durant, Lebron, Melo, etc...We don't even verifiable style of play to offer a free agent. Management still has much work to do.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Management Is Growing Along With The Young Guys

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
The Lakers are a prestigious and historic organization. We are the preeminent NBA global brand....

With that said...

This organization won 17 games last year and has set a franchise record for losses in each of the last three years. Yes, we can agree that we haven't had the players to win more games. But we also haven't had the management or ownership to improve the situation either.

This is the first time Mitch, Jim, and Jenie have had to build a team from the ground up. Kobe isn't saving us anymore. There is no Jerry West level player evaluating going on here. Dr. Buss isn't here to seal deals. We no longer have the palm tree star power advantage over other organizations. This is a totally organic build and the fans are going to be disappointed until our young guys mature. If it even happens...

Mitch, Jim, and Jeanie have their work cut out for them big time... Baby steps should be our expectation. If you expect more that this, you'll be disappointed for sure.

then they should come down on their laker tickets.....they are charging like they are a championship team.....then us who pay can sit and watch like everyone else...but when you are paying thru the nose like shaq and kobe are there it not easy getting excited about rookies..... they need to choose quickly what team they are going to be...and stop charging for tickets like they are another.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Management Is Growing Along With The Young Guys

clutchkobe wrote:

then they should come down on their laker tickets.....they are charging like they are a championship team.....then us who pay can sit and watch like everyone else...but when you are paying thru the nose like shaq and kobe are there it not easy getting excited about rookies..... they need to choose quickly what team they are going to be...and stop charging for tickets like they are another.

If people are still buying up all the tickets, they don't really have an incentive to lower prices.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject:

People may be buying tickets, but they are NOT watching games on Time-Warner (TW), who is paying the Lakers billion$ to broadcast their games and I'm sure the negotiated price was based on the Lakers putting a decent product on the floor that would generate a large enough audience to allow TW to make a profit.

It has been stated that Lakers TV game ratings were at an all-time low this last season.

Fans tuning-in, knowing that there is an 80% chance that the Lakers are going to lose tends to have that effect on the viewing public..

I'm happy with the new direction, just saying..

Last edited by unleasHell on Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Management Is Growing Along With The Young Guys

clutchkobe wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

With that said...

As a season ticket holder since '08. I whole-heartedly agree. Well said clutch.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject:

why did you include jeanie, in reference to "building the team from the ground up?"
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject:

If we don't have at least 1 league average starter on the roster this year. That's on Jim and Mitch.
I don't think what I'm asking for is an unreasonable standard.

We haven't won 30 games since 2013. Despite having 2 different coaches since then (MDA & Scott).
People are gonna be asking for Luke's head if we have another bottomdweller team going into this season that produces less than 30 wins (again).
Hope LG and the rest of the fanbase holds the roster creators accountable. I think they will, since Luke is a pretty boy fan favorite coming from a franchise popular among some Lakers fans. We'll see if Luke will escape being thrown under the buss.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Management Is Growing Along With The Young Guys

Darth Los Angeles wrote:

With that said...

Are you kidding me, they are the one's who helped create this problem, now you wanna give them even more time, get a clue!

HC: Riley
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Management Is Growing Along With The Young Guys

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

With that said...

Are you kidding me, they are the one's who helped create this problem, now you wanna give them even more time, get a clue!

Sometimes you have to create a problem in order to fix thus why we tanked hard to keep those picks, and also I do in my life everyday I ruin and I fix it.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
why did you include jeanie, in reference to "building the team from the ground up?"

Because marketing a product that sucks is harder than marketing one that sells itself. Jeanie has her work cut out for just as much as Jim and Mitch.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Management Is Growing Along With The Young Guys

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

With that said...

What's the alternative? Force free agents to sign?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
People may be buying tickets, but they are NOT watching games on Time-Warner (TW) and they are paying the Lakers Billions to broadcast and I'm sure the price negotiated was based on the Lakers putting a decent product on the floor that would generate an audience and thus allow for TW to increase profits.

It has been stating that Lakers TV had an extremely low rating last season. Tuning in knowing that there is an 80% chance that the Lakers are going to lose tends to have that effect on the viewing public..

I'm happy with the new direction, just say..

If TWC were worried about ratings they would put something worth watching on the channel besides Laker games. Their non-game content is worse than our local public TV.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

She is part of management, particularly for player presentations.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Yeah because the business side has been damaged too and that needs to be fixed too.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Management Is Growing Along With The Young Guys

kikanga wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

With that said...

As a season ticket holder since '08. I whole-heartedly agree. Well said clutch.

Here's an idea: give up your seats and test the too expensive theory.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Yeah because the business side has been damaged too and that needs to be fixed too.

Mainly they need to forget that they are spoiled children and present a united front, and they are doing a much better job of that.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Mainly they need to forget that they are spoiled children and present a united front, and they are doing a much better job of that.

Agreed just like what Dad wanted them to do.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject:

The first thing they need to do is come off the stupid "WCF or Jim is out" stance....it serves no purpose. I the Lakers win close to 40 games this year, and barely miss the playoffs.....who thinks it would be a good idea for a management or front office overhaul? It is just silly, and is more likely to lead to poor decisions. Just handle it like it should be handled, employees are evaluated annually....but if Mitch and Jim double our win total this year, that should be looked at as a positive evaluation. I am just really beyond this whole media narrative that everything is Jim's fault, and I still think Mitch is one of the most respected GM's in the league.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject:

They are past the WCF thing, in her last interview Jeannie called it "showing improvement".
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
They are past the WCF thing, in her last interview Jeannie called it "showing improvement".

good.....there is a reason nobody tells their stockbroker they expect 100% return over the next 30 days or their fired....because chances are you end up with little to nothing in your account.
singlecamVTEC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject:

I'm excited about this, really.

It's a new era. FO doesn't have to worry about going for the big shot FA's (it doesn't seem like they're going for KD that hard). They're going for what the team needs.

They also don't have to worry about trying to win NOW, when Kobe was here. Now that he's out, they can focus on rebuilding. There might be down years, there might be up years, either way.. I'm fine with it.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Management Is Growing Along With The Young Guys

fontana3d wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

With that said...

Sometimes you have to create a problem in order to fix thus why we tanked hard to keep those picks, and also I do in my life everyday I ruin and I fix it.

jim and mitch have not done anything special. you or I could have made these picks. You don't give them more time to mess up things.....we done this already....time to move on.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: