Management Is Growing Along With The Young Guys
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Management Is Growing Along With The Young Guys

clutchkobe wrote:
fontana3d wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
The Lakers are a prestigious and historic organization. We are the preeminent NBA global brand....

With that said...

This organization won 17 games last year and has set a franchise record for losses in each of the last three years. Yes, we can agree that we haven't had the players to win more games. But we also haven't had the management or ownership to improve the situation either.

This is the first time Mitch, Jim, and Jenie have had to build a team from the ground up. Kobe isn't saving us anymore. There is no Jerry West level player evaluating going on here. Dr. Buss isn't here to seal deals. We no longer have the palm tree star power advantage over other organizations. This is a totally organic build and the fans are going to be disappointed until our young guys mature. If it even happens...

Mitch, Jim, and Jeanie have their work cut out for them big time... Baby steps should be our expectation. If you expect more that this, you'll be disappointed for sure.

Are you kidding me, they are the one's who helped create this problem, now you wanna give them even more time, get a clue!

Sometimes you have to create a problem in order to fix thus why we tanked hard to keep those picks, and also I do in my life everyday I ruin and I fix it.

jim and mitch have not done anything special. you or I could have made these picks. You don't give them more time to mess up things.....we done this already....time to move on.

I hate to break it to you, but "we" won't be deciding that.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Management Is Growing Along With The Young Guys

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
The Lakers are a prestigious and historic organization. We are the preeminent NBA global brand....

With that said...

This organization won 17 games last year and has set a franchise record for losses in each of the last three years. Yes, we can agree that we haven't had the players to win more games. But we also haven't had the management or ownership to improve the situation either.

This is the first time Mitch, Jim, and Jenie have had to build a team from the ground up. Kobe isn't saving us anymore. There is no Jerry West level player evaluating going on here. Dr. Buss isn't here to seal deals. We no longer have the palm tree star power advantage over other organizations. This is a totally organic build and the fans are going to be disappointed until our young guys mature. If it even happens...

Mitch, Jim, and Jeanie have their work cut out for them big time... Baby steps should be our expectation. If you expect more that this, you'll be disappointed for sure.

then they should come down on their laker tickets.....they are charging like they are a championship team.....then us who pay can sit and watch like everyone else...but when you are paying thru the nose like shaq and kobe are there it not easy getting excited about rookies..... they need to choose quickly what team they are going to be...and stop charging for tickets like they are another.

As a season ticket holder since '08. I whole-heartedly agree. Well said clutch.

Here's an idea: give up your seats and test the too expensive theory.

spoken like a person who does not have laker tickets!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Management Is Growing Along With The Young Guys

clutchkobe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

With that said...

then they should come down on their laker tickets.....they are charging like they are a championship team.....then us who pay can sit and watch like everyone else...but when you are paying thru the nose like shaq and kobe are there it not easy getting excited about rookies..... they need to choose quickly what team they are going to be...and stop charging for tickets like they are another.

You are correct, I live a long way from LA. But I suspect there are many closer who would gladly pay for your seats. So if down years are a burden too great to bear...
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject:

I think the big miscalculation that the management team made was to go all in with older veterans. They trades away the farm on a washed up Nash and miscalculated badly on Howard. They also missed that Kobe was not Kobe anymore and saddled the team with a terrible salary and hurt the cap.

We have been terribly lucky so far by keeping our picks and being able to secure some great talent. Lets hope we don't go overboard during this free agency period and sign some guys to the max or close to the max that are not close to max type players. This will be the year of over paying for mid level talent and we must keep our powder dry for future unless we can land one of the top centers and top wings.

While we are much more attractive this year next year we will be much more attractive as I believe Russell, Randle, Nance, Clarkston and Ingram will all show significant improvement. If we are able to add someone like Whiteside this year we out to have cap space available to land another star player and we should be the most attractive team in the league draw them to us.

I hope the management team is taking a 2 year approach because if they play it right we will have a team that is a contender for the long haul. They have done well at rebuilding but have gotten very lucky with the draft picks and the lottery balls. They know how to pick talent so lets hope have a 2 year horizon and a plan for long term sustained success. I think they do but will really hype up getting FA this year from a marketing standpoint. It would be okay if they could land a Whiteside, Batum and Biyombo but I think that is just unlikely to happen.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject:

Mitch on ESPN-SC live right now!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Management Is Growing Along With The Young Guys

Omar Little wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

With that said...

You are correct, I live a long way from LA. But I suspect there are many closer who would gladly pay for your seats. So if down years are a burden too great to bear...

If we fail to win 30 games again this season. It'll be the 4th season in a row. And it'll be tough to convince myself we're improving. Treading water at the bottom of the league isn't improving.
I know people will say, but our young core will keep getting better (even after this upcoming season). Which I agree with. But young talent improving isn't a variable exclusive to our team.

The bolded reminds me of the Sunk Cost Fallacy.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject:

Actually, lately Mich and Jim have been doing good picks. Maybe it is
because their back is against the wall.

So far:
2 number two picks. Ingram will be a star. Maybe Russell.
#7 pick Randle has potential and if he can develop a jumper watch out
Clarkson and Zubac good second round picks.

Lou William good hire
Bass good hire
Black good hire

So the future is bright.

The key is to stay patient and keep making those good decisions.
With 2017 and 2019 pick to other teams, they might have to hit
in FA. Dont give away any more draft picks please.

It will be a crapshoot. But if patient they can succeed.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject:

The way to build a team under the modern CBA is through the draft, which is what we are doing.

Our biggest mistake was trading away all of our picks for Nash. There is no quick fix for our situation unless we want to be the Knicks or the Nets. Sure we could overpay for a vet and trade away our future - again- but that would get us a series of first round exits and no way to improve.

I am the biggest Jim Buss critic you can find, but he is right this time. He is learning from his mistakes and I think that shows growth on his part.

And I love the Luke hiring. No more re-tread "safe" coaching hires. He is shooting for the moon and doing it decisively!

Impatient fans and management go us here. Got us to the worst Laker record of all time. And if Jim listens to all of the people pissing and moaning here we are doomed. We should have blown up the team 2 years ago and gone into rebuild mode. But we didn't. We overplayed our hand and outside of keeping a few picks, we have wasted 2 years of valuable rebuilding time.

We must think of the long game if we want to get a title. It is way too soon to cash in our chips at this time. Settle down people and go for the ride. It will be fun to see the kids grow and when the time is right, we will cash in a few chips to put us over the top!

Mitch and Ryan West are on the top of their game. Their picks have been stellar. No need to move them, they are doing great.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
In short let Mitch, Ryan, and Luke recruit the players, and all the Buss Kids have to do is bring the checkbook like their daddy used too.

Exactly. We have the history of Jim's handiwork (hiring coaches, keeping certain players, etc) and they've all appeared poor.

Smart owners let their "basketball people" make the "basketball related decisions". I think it took Jim 2+ years of failure and a threat from Jeanie to set him straight.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Management Is Growing Along With The Young Guys

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

With that said...

If we fail to win 30 games again this season. It'll be the 4th season in a row. And it'll be tough to convince myself we're improving. Treading water at the bottom of the league isn't improving.
I know people will say, but our young core will keep getting better (even after this upcoming season). Which I agree with. But young talent improving isn't a variable exclusive to our team.

Actually, if we improve on last year then we are improving, the question becomes is it fast enough. And we haven't tread water at all. We actively looked to reload, and that did not work, which ultimately led to a bottoming out rebuild. And in two years we have added 6 draft picks that are likely to make the roster, possibly 7, including 3 high lottery picks and a second round theft. And of those, only one has played more than one NBA season. How fast do you expect them to be fabulous?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Management Is Growing Along With The Young Guys

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

With that said...

The bulk of our future core (Russell, Randle, Ingram, Nance) have played 1 season or less. Clarkson has played all of two. The franchise might have been "treading water" for the past 4 years, but the roster has not. There isn't a single player on this team that was here 4 seasons ago. The only guy that was here even 3 seasons ago was Nick Young, and that probably won't be for long.

EDIT: Took the words out of my mouth Omar!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Management Is Growing Along With The Young Guys

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

With that said...

Actually, if we improve on last year then we are improving, the question becomes is it fast enough. And we haven't tread water at all. We actively looked to reload, and that did not work, which ultimately led to a bottoming out rebuild. And in two years we have added 6 draft picks that are likely to make the roster, possibly 7, including 3 high lottery picks and a second round theft. And of those, only one has played more than one NBA season. How fast do you expect them to be fabulous?

That's the thing. I'm not expecting them to be fabulous anytime soon.
I expect the front office to secure average starting talent. At least a veteran 2 way starter and a 2 way bench player.
Otherwise, we're just like the other teams in the league at the bottom getting high lottery pick talent through the draft (why I consider that treading water).
Sure there is roster turnover, but I want to see something that separates us from the bottom 5-10 teams in the league. Gotta get some vet talent in here to lift us out of the cellar of the league. Any front office in the league can lose a ton of games and get high draft picks. That by itself, isn't enough.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject:

I know I sound harsh towards the front office. But I'm in no way attached to my negative perspective.
My criticism will quickly turn to praise if we sign just B level talent this free agency. For a 17 win team that's been at the bottom for multiple seasons, signing B level talent would be a HUGE win. Far exceeding expectations.

If our FO secures talent that lifts us out of the bottom of the league (via trade or free agency). I will heavily praise them for it.
I have friends and family members who are season ticket holders who are far more unreasonable than me. They think our FO caused our rapid decline post-Phil. So they shouldn't get credit if we improve back to league average eventually. That's a stupid perspective in my book.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject:

One of the things to remember is that as a general rule, the better your draft slot, the worse your free agent prospects. So if LA lands a top or even second tier free agent in a normal year, that would be a coup given their record. If they do it in a year where everybody has money, even more so. For better or worse, most of the time in this position you have to sign pretty mediocre free agents and combine them with your youth until they win enough to get to the better guys.

This is precisely why the Lakers swung so hard at a reload, and why they took the big names or bust route the last few years. They knew that they needed the picks and some unspectacular guys to get to the prime guys, unless they got lucky. And they knew grabbing to many of the mediocre free agents too early would cost the draft slots. Fine line to dance.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject:

The piece of the puzzle that's missing is: trades. And like you said Omar, we're dancing a fine line.

You accurately described the upside to the route the Lakers took these past 2 offseasons. Swing for the fences. When it doesn't work out, you get a top tier pick. And that pick will have a higher potential than the B-level free agency talent we passed on.

Problem with pushing wins down the road and going potential/talent is. Sooner or later, the wins have to come. Sooner or later you have to push your chips (assets) to the center of the table and try to cash in (trade for top tier talent). Otherwise, you're hoping (not a guarantee) your lottery picks are "the ones" and will far exceed their peers 3-4-5 years down the road. In the meantime you're in a potential-filled limbo.

I wanted to get the B-level talent the past 2 offseasons. Since we'd (1) get more free agent success because we have more wins and a more of a win-now roster. And (2) we could potentially make some Mitch-highway-robbery trades with talent on the books that are relatively cheap assets (since the cap is increasing so rapidly).

And I know this route I'm describing appears to neglect bringing in cheap, young top-tier talent through the draft. But we could always trade away some cheap B-level talent on the books for the right 1 or 2 first round picks.

Seeing what we've done late in the draft. I think that route would've produced great results.
But maybe DLO, Ingram, or Randle become all stars years down the road.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
The piece of the puzzle that's missing is: trades. And like you said Omar, we're dancing a fine line.

You accurately described the upside to the route the Lakers took these past 2 offseasons. Swing for the fences. When it doesn't work out, you get a top tier pick. And that pick will have a higher potential than the B-level free agency talent we passed on.

Problem with pushing wins down the road and going potential/talent is. Sooner or later, the wins have to come. Sooner or later you have to push your chips (assets) to the center of the table and try to cash in (trade for top tier talent). Otherwise, you're hoping (not a guarantee) your lottery picks are "the ones" and will far exceed their peers 3-4-5 years down the road. In the meantime you're in a potential-filled limbo.

I wanted to get the B-level talent the past 2 offseasons. Since we'd (1) get more free agent success because we have more wins and a more of a win-now roster. And (2) we could potentially make some Mitch-highway-robbery trades with talent on the books that are relatively cheap assets (since the cap is increasing so rapidly).

And I know this route I'm describing appears to neglect bringing in cheap, young top-tier talent through the draft. But we could always trade away some cheap B-level talent on the books for the right 1 or 2 lotto picks.

This is just my speculation, but I think this is the calculation the Lakers took;

They wanted Walton, and had to wait until the end of the season. They didn't fire Scott because he was on the way to keeping the pick.

Once they got the pick and Walton, they now have a two tiered plan:

1. Hit a lucky shot in free agency now.

2. Fill in with what they can and try and get into better shape to hit free agents in 2017, with a better crop.

My guess is they don't expect #1, but will swing. Even getting a Whiteside level guy is probably a pretty good win, and either fill the roster with mediocre short term vets to have a two max scenario, or land another second tier and shoot for one major guy in 2017.
lakerlove123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject:

You know, I don't know if it's called "The Circle of Life," but I am thankful for the last few years. Success is way more fulfilling if you tumble down every few years, learn something new, and build up again. I, for one, no matter how much of a Laker fan I am, would not want to live in an NBA world where the Lakers are always at the top. Where's the fun in that? Where's the competition and the ups and downs of the down years, waiting to see something grow?

Call me crazy (all right, I'm ready for it ) but I DO believe Mitch, Jim and the FO did the best they could do the last few years. Like I said, I believe in the Circle of Life and karma and in the natural revolution of things it was time for the other teams to shine. Those teams have had time to shine, now, and our re-building process is under way. A few years from now, I hope we will be at the top.

But I'm thankful for the wait.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

And I know this route I'm describing appears to neglect bringing in cheap, young top-tier talent through the draft. But we could always trade away some cheap B-level talent on the books for the right 1 or 2 lotto picks.

This is just my speculation, but I think this is the calculation the Lakers took;

They wanted Walton, and had to wait until the end of the season. They didn't fire Scott because he was on the way to keeping the pick.

2. Fill in with what they can and try and get into better shape to hit free agents in 2017, with a better crop.

My guess is they don't expect #1, but will swing. Even getting a Whiteside level guy is probably a pretty good win, and either fill the roster with mediocre short term vets to have a two max scenario, or land another second tier and shoot for one major guy in 2017.

I'm feeling lucky. Would love to steal Whiteside from Riley.
It already must bug him that we hired a coach the same age as him (back in the day) who is looked at as a genius and is better looking than him (back in the day).
Wanna drive Riles nuts.

The X factors to our FOs plans are DLO, Ingram, Randle, and Clarkson.
Hopefully 1 or 2 of them are league average or better at their starting positions by the 2017-2018 season.
That'll open avenues for trades and free agency.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Agreed on both fronts.

I suspect they are starting to realize #1 is not likely-- ie. a superstar like Durant + friends. I think for the longest time they thought that all they need is the cap space the rest should work itself out but are now realizing that this is going to be a longer approach. They'll still try for KD but looks like he doesn't want to waste ours or his time.

I think hiring Luke was a sign that they are looking at the long term, ground up build. They want to follow the GS route of drafting and developing talent then bringing in the vet balance/bench through FA.

My gut tells me they trade it all if they felt like they could put together a superteam but that seems impossible right now.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject:

We were better than a 17 win team. They were held back by Byron and the KFT. I expect us to be very competitive next year.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Agreed on both fronts.

I suspect they are starting to realize #1 is not likely-- ie. a superstar like Durant + friends. I think for the longest time they thought that all they need is the cap space the rest should work itself out but are now realizing that this is going to be a longer approach. They'll still try for KD but looks like he doesn't want to waste ours or his time.

I think hiring Luke was a sign that they are looking at the long term, ground up build. They want to follow the GS route of drafting and developing talent then bringing in the vet balance/bench through FA.

My gut tells me they trade it all if they felt like they could put together a superteam but that seems impossible right now.

I don't think they were under any illusions about cap space, just knew not to go for mediocre guys to early and end up with neither wins nor draft picks (purgatory).
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
In short let Mitch, Ryan, and Luke recruit the players, and all the Buss Kids have to do is bring the checkbook like their daddy used too.

YEP.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject:

lakerlove123 wrote:
You know, I don't know if it's called "The Circle of Life," but I am thankful for the last few years. Success is way more fulfilling if you tumble down every few years, learn something new, and build up again. I, for one, no matter how much of a Laker fan I am, would not want to live in an NBA world where the Lakers are always at the top. Where's the fun in that? Where's the competition and the ups and downs of the down years, waiting to see something grow?

Call me crazy (all right, I'm ready for it ) but I DO believe Mitch, Jim and the FO did the best they could do the last few years. Like I said, I believe in the Circle of Life and karma and in the natural revolution of things it was time for the other teams to shine. Those teams have had time to shine, now, and our re-building process is under way. A few years from now, I hope we will be at the top.

But I'm thankful for the wait.

Well said. I feel the same way.
PinoyLakerFan24-7
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
The way to build a team under the modern CBA is through the draft, which is what we are doing.

Impatient fans and management go us here. Got us to the worst Laker record of all time. And if Jim listens to all of the people pissing and moaning here we are doomed. We should have blown up the team 2 years ago and gone into rebuild mode. But we didn't. We overplayed our hand and outside of keeping a few picks, we have wasted 2 years of valuable rebuilding time.

We must think of the long game if we want to get a title. It is way too soon to cash in our chips at this time. Settle down people and go for the ride. It will be fun to see the kids grow and when the time is right, we will cash in a few chips to put us over the top!

Mitch and Ryan West are on the top of their game. Their picks have been stellar. No need to move them, they are doing great.

Agreed. We have our core for now and the future, and I think we just need to surround them with quality veterans that will complement their abilities (Horford, Whiteside, M. Williams), instead of going for ill-fitting star players with sexy stats (DeRozan).
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
why did you include jeanie, in reference to "building the team from the ground up?"

She will be the most important voice when the time comes to hire a new VP in charge of Basketball Operations.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: