The Night Of (HBO Mini Series) ***SPOILER ALERT***
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: The Night Of (HBO Mini Series) ***SPOILER ALERT***

Anyone watched episode 1 yet? The series debuts on July 10, but the first episode is available via streaming on HBO Go/Now.

So good. Can't wait for the next episodes to come out.

Last edited by ringfinger on Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out. HBO puts out a lot of high quality stuff so I take a lot of their stuff on faith.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject:

Good start, lots of potential with the story line
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out. HBO puts out a lot of high quality stuff so I take a lot of their stuff on faith.

The first episode was great. The man actor was awesome. John Tuturro was really good as always. Cinematography is superb. A lot of ways they can go with this story.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Episode 2 came out this past Sunday. Acting and cinematography is amazing
Anyone else seen it?

Johm Tuturro and Riz Ahmed are fantastic!!
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Cliffs on show?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Really enjoying it. The pacing and visuals all accentuate the disorientation of the protagonist.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Cliffs on show?

SEMI-SPOILER ALERT

Basically a studious/nerdy Muslim college kid in Queens is trying to go to a party. Ends up driving his Dad's taxi cause he doesn't have a ride. A girl gets in his cab thinking he's in service, and they end up hitting it off. They go back to her place, turns out she's sorta weird. She ends up getting him drunk/high on all sorts of stuff, and he falls asleep. He later wakes up to find her brutally murdered and he has a bloody knife in pocket and can't recall anything. Flees the scene, ends up pulled over for DUI, police find knife. Rest of show is about his trial, etc.

Finished episode two yesterday. It's extremely well done and the writing is phenomenal. This show is going to be the next big thing IMO.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Really enjoying it. The pacing and visuals all accentuate the disorientation of the protagonist.

Good observation. Watched the pilot and half of ep 2. I really like how this was shot. The lighting in the precinct makes you feel like you're underground.

On another topic, that actor (J.D. Williams) who played Kenny in Oz and Bodie in The Wire must not age. He still looks like a kid and he's 38.
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject:

Why do viewers of this show refer to Freddy as Omar Little?

Oh... and "Dark Crate" was something special. The character shifting is interesting.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject:

I'm waiting for more suspects. So far it's a whodoneit with only one who.

John Turturro's character Jack Stone is interesting. Is he in it for the money or does he think he think Naz is innocent?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject:

IPhilKobe wrote:

Oh... and "Dark Crate" was something special. The character shifting is interesting.

That was the actors character in The Wire.

GIF
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
IPhilKobe wrote:

That was the actors character in The Wire.

GIF

He will always be Omar

Actually did a good straight to the source documentary on vice about car thefts
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

John Turturro's character Jack Stone is interesting. Is he in it for the money or does he think he think Naz is innocent?

Is it? I'm not so sure it is. I haven't figured out what this show is yet. I'm not sure where they are going with it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Is it? I'm not so sure it is. I haven't figured out what this show is yet. I'm not sure where they are going with it.

I'd say so. We have a murder and I don't think Naz is the killer.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject:

That's the beauty of the show. Thats what I like about it anyway.

Most shows you can figure out whats going to happen in the first 5 mins. I love the unpredictable nature of this show.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
That's the beauty of the show. Thats what I like about it anyway.

Most shows you can figure out whats going to happen in the first 5 mins. I love the unpredictable nature of this show.

It's opening story lines left and right. Everything's a mystery. I re-watched episode II and don't think Jack Stone's in it for money. Is he going to do a good job?

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Ep 3. was the best episode so far. Dark and very suspenseful. I was on the edge of my seat anticipating Naz getting attacked.

I think Stone is/was in it for the money. However, you can tell his conscience is weighing on him by the way he reacted when the cat was taken away similarly to how Naz was being taken away to prison.

I just don't know how Stone is going to continue being involved now that Naz's family has a new and better lawyer who's working pro bono. He'll probably be the one who continues to investigate the crime as it seems the cops have already closed their investigation.

BTW, did that look like the same prison set from Oz to anyone else?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Ep 3. was the best episode so far. Dark and very suspenseful. I was on the edge of my seat anticipating Naz getting attacked.

I think Stone is/was in it for the money. However, you can tell his conscience is weighing on him by the way he reacted when the cat was taken away similarly to how Naz was being taken away to prison.

I just don't know how Stone is going to continue being involved now that Naz's family has a new and better lawyer who's working pro bono. He'll probably be the one who continues to investigate the crime as it seems the cops have already closed their investigation.

I think Freddy is going to be the one who keeps Naz from getting attacked. He doesn't need a male partner, he's got a female guard who's keeping the tank empty. Then again, add to the mystery.

I'm confused. Who's Freddie, Michael K Williams or Omar Little Are they the same person?

I also think Stone is going to eventually represent Naz. If I have it right Amara Karan (Chandra) is Naz's relative. I think she's going to be the one to finally get he case to Stone. She looked a little apprehensive at the end of the episode.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Remember the officer who handed the owners of the taxi cab Stone's card?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I think they are setting it up to look like he is in it for the money at first, but later we will see it's the new attorney who is just in it for the publicity, and Stone is the one who really cares about the kid and the outcome.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

Interesting article about the show for anyone, besides me, who was wondering about James Gandolfini listed as executive producer in the credits.

**Article does contain some spoilers about the Jack Stone character.

NYT
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject:

So who is the veal? Omar or Kahn?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject:

I've watched the British version called Criminal Justice. It has Ben Whishaw in the lead who's pretty much great in everything. Highly recommend it.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Not easy for me to say, because I love Power and Ray Donovan. And I still have both in my list of top 5-10 shows (per year).

But The Night Of is the best show on TV right now.

A show like Mad Men for example. That show wasn't an all time great because it was a time-piece about 1960s advertising. That show was special because it vividly put you in the shoes of the characters (Don Draper and others) as they navigate their lives. The show broke the boundary between show character and viewer.

And that's why The Night Of is great. You can appreciate the show as a 21st century time-piece about NY and the criminal justice system. But beyond those superficial qualities. The show transplants the viewer into the characters. When you watch, you feel like you're Naz or Stone.

My prediction for the murderer is Don Taylor. When I watched Andrea back in episode 1, it felt like she was running away from an authoritative figure's influence over her life. Just the vibe I got from her. And Don did make quite a scene at the funeral. That guy asked Don what he was doing there. Hopefully Stone can get to the bottom of it.
Either Don was mad Andrea got that nice house from Andrea's mother instead of him. Remember he lives in Queens.
Or maybe he was sexually attracted to Andrea and didn't like her having a 1 night stand with Naz.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9
Jump to: