Lakers sign Timofey Mozgov to a 4 year, $64M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 62, 63, 64  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Is it just a coincidence that Mozgod's salary is just the right amount to be traded for DMC?
JH from Hemet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Luke knows talent when he see's it. Mozgod will have to work to change peoples hearts and minds.

If he morphs into Steven Adams, then yes. I'd bet the farm he can't deliver on that contract.

Which of these NBA players is gonna deliver on these ridiculous contracts?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Is it just a coincidence that Mozgod's salary is just the right amount to be traded for DMC?

Why would Luke do that...uh I mean Mitch and Jim?

Last edited by greenfrog on Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
This is why I feel Luke's watch has ended before it began. If the team does not do well he is going to get dumped on.

Jon snow reference?
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Someone mentioned the salary being a type that's easier to use in a trade and I was wondering about that. Regardless not sure if cousins is the "character" fit lakers seem to be focusing more on these days.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Someone mentioned the salary being a type that's easier to use in a trade and I was wondering about that. Regardless not sure if cousins is the "character" fit lakers seem to be focusing more on these days.

If we had our druthers he wouldn't be a target due to his attitude, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I bet Cousins looks like a nice alternative now to some people who didn't want to go near him a few months ago. Problem is it would cost us other assets.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
This is why I feel Luke's watch has ended before it began. If the team does not do well he is going to get dumped on.
when we were winning, guys were still whining. It'll never change, ever. It's sports.
freethrow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
MJST wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
DrDent wrote:
noobie wrote:
I can live with this deal knowing that no top tier (or even second tier FA) is coming to a 17 win team. FO is making a calculated gamble that Mosgov can stay healthy and help this team get back to respectability. We need to at least to .500 or so before top tier FA will consider us.

Exactly. I had drinks with a friend earlier today and he (a Boston fan) was having fun picking on this move. I ran through all the reasons why this move was fine for where the lakers were at (what other big man vet with some skill wants to play for a 17 win team?) and he finally came around when I pointed to his team as an example.

Bottom line to me is this: if you're really against this move you are already doubting Luke Walton's player assessment. I'm not going there on his first move and believe the fact he, the warriors, and spurs (who wanted him) saw some real potential. Yes, lakers had to "overpay"... But that's what happens when you've been at / near the bottom of the barrel for 3 years. We just have to suck it up and deal with it.

He's not the GM here. Let's not put this move on Luke.

Spoken like a typical "I just wanna blame one person I find it easier to dislike." perspective.

You're fully aware that Luke is VERY involved in the decision making of what players fit best with HIS team right?

Or did you assume that GM's just make decisions without any backing from the coach and love sabotaging their systems?

Luke's the guy who talked to Mosgov when the Lakers made their pitch at him, He WANTS Mosgov. Just cause you don't and don't wanna disagree with Luke doesn't mean he didn't.

Luke wanted Mosgov here. Accept that reality

Huh? I'm trying to absolve Luke...

He was as much part of the decision. He wanted Mosgov here.

I don't mind the Mosgov signing. I think it's underrated and people focus too much on the money.

It's the fact that some people would rather pin it all happening in oen source and act like Luke had nothing to do with it or any say in it so that when they bash Jim, Mitch or Ryan freaking West for that decision they can absolve Luke.

The reality is, LUKE was just as involved if not more so as it's HIS team. If Luke says he wants nothing to do with Mosgov he isn't a Laker.

Not only did Luke WANT Mosgov, he made the darn call and pitch with the team to him.

So if you HATE the Mosgov signing that's your prerogative, but Luke wanted him. So I guess you'll just have to disagree with coach like you would with the GM and Scouts.

So none of this "I'm only gonna blame Mitch and Jim and ignore Luke's involvement." stuff.

They were ALL involved, INCLUDING Ryan West whom is being groomed to be GM. You bash Mitch and Jim you bash the other two. They ALL had a say and Luke was the PITCH guy. So yeah.

Here's the thing - Luke has nothing to do with the money aspect of the deal, which is the part that people are questioning. It's possible that Mosgov came highly recommended from Luke AND the FO overpaid for him. These are not mutually exclusive.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject:

factorX wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
P.K. wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
P.K. wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
P.K. wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
The same guys defending this terrible signing were probably defending the Hibbert trade last season too. A 4 year gamble on a slow 7ft center especially one coming off of knee surgery is a bad move

Not me.
I said Hibbert was a stiff when they first announced the trade. He'd been a stiff the 3 previous years in Indy. A lot (a whole lot) of clueless people here were saying that Hibbert was the victim of the system in Indy, and in a new home in LA he'd return to All Star status. I just kept saying he was a complete stiff and that Bird knew he was unloading a stiff. I said this repeatedly.
Mozgov isn't a stiff. He's a serviceable big man who lost his starting spot due to not coming back from injury/surgery 100%, and then Tristan kept it because he fit new coach TLue's changing plans better then Mozgov did.
Mozgov isn't DJordan, and he isn't the Brow..
but he is a serviceable big man that'll fit into Luke's GSW style offense pretty well, should fit well with both DLO & JC on the PnR, defends & rebounds hard (altho not at superstar levels), and can pass & hit the midrange.
In other words, he's about 5x better then Hibbert and should be a serviceable big man on what would be considered a reasonable contract in this sellers market.

I agree that a healthy Mozgov is an upgrade at center, I believe he was brought in for two reasons, he has championship level experience and he will teach Zubac everything he knows, as Laker fans is easy to bash any center that is not a superstar in the league, we have been spoiled with generations of great dominant centers, so the bar is the highest, and if the Lakers didnt offer the 4yr 64 Million, we would have to see Sacre fouling out or Zubac looking lost, your right it is a sellers market, and todays contracts are making Kobe last contract look little, he wont score like Pao or be dominant like Shaq, but he will play hard and if he can avg 12pt 8reb 1.5blks, then Mitch made the right move

I've watched Mozgov a lot across the last 2 years (also watched OKC, Spurs, GSW, etc)
Mozgov probably ends up as the #4 or 5 option with the Lakers, depending whether Randle develops a jumpshot.
I'd expect something more in line with about 24 min, 9-10pts, 7rebs from him.
I'd also expect him to do a lot of the dirty work that doesn't end up on the boxscore. Setting screens for DLO/JC, patrolling the lane, etc. He's just that kind of player
serviceable - not spectacular.

Seems like a lot of money for serviceable.

Noah signed 4 yrs $70 million or 17.5per
Tristan signed last summer for 5/82 or 20.2per
Mike freaking Conley signed 5/135 or OMFG crazy

Tristan Thompson is the only one of the three I would have done.

Easy to say that now, since he was just a major part of a championship team..

but last summer, when he signed that deal, he was on the bench behind Mozgov - and there wasn't any question that Mozgov was better them him (then)

It was easy to say then too, I had mozgov nowhere near Thompson's level back then and expected Thompson to be a max player.
I'm on Cavs forum site 365 days a year and I have not missed a season game in years and I have to tell you TT was getting burned in the paint and that's why Cavs gave 2 first round picks for Mozgov.

Cavs were hardly above .500 team when he arrived. We become instant contenders with him. Before Mozgov we were one of the worst teams defending the paint. Everyday people talked trash on Thompson and fans were even more mad we gave up so much to get Mozgov. Much like it is over here. Saying the same things.

About two weeks after the trade no one said another bad word about him. How could they? His stats were not over the top but you could see we were not being abused inside no more

Its not like he had a career threatening injury. Its was supposedly a simple surgery but didn't work that way. There is no question if healthy he is a game changer. The question should be is he back to form by the season start or do they need to go back in and work on the knee

He is not a game changer and even in the middle of his best NBA run the Cavs benched him.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
when we were winning, guys were still whining. It'll never change, ever. It's sports.

Scott got hated on for losing with awful players, Luke should get the same treatment.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject:

He at least occupies the paint in a perimeter game. He's fine. Not great signing but not bad. He fills a need
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Scott got hated on for losing with awful players, Luke should get the same treatment.

If Luke starts ripping Brandon in the media and telling him to "Man up!" I will.
808inla
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Whatever
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject:

808inla wrote:
Whatever

Whenever
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

If Luke starts ripping Brandon in the media and telling him to "Man up!" I will.

Telling a player to man up, or be tougher is what it takes for you to dislike a coach?
augus7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Jon snow reference?

LGers gonna stab him saying, "For the tank..."
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject:

augus7 wrote:
DrDent wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Jon snow reference?

LGers gonna stab him saying, "For the tank..."

Would certainly hope not.
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject:

There were a lot of bad deals in the last couple days, but this signing is still widely regarded as the worst one of them all. We are getting blasted by the media for our stupidity.
gooner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject:

where24happens wrote:
There were a lot of bad deals in the last couple days, but this signing is still widely regarded as the worst one of them all. We are getting blasted by the media for our stupidity.

Are you implying the media typically know what they are talking about?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
factorX wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
P.K. wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
P.K. wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
P.K. wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
The same guys defending this terrible signing were probably defending the Hibbert trade last season too. A 4 year gamble on a slow 7ft center especially one coming off of knee surgery is a bad move

Not me.
I said Hibbert was a stiff when they first announced the trade. He'd been a stiff the 3 previous years in Indy. A lot (a whole lot) of clueless people here were saying that Hibbert was the victim of the system in Indy, and in a new home in LA he'd return to All Star status. I just kept saying he was a complete stiff and that Bird knew he was unloading a stiff. I said this repeatedly.
Mozgov isn't a stiff. He's a serviceable big man who lost his starting spot due to not coming back from injury/surgery 100%, and then Tristan kept it because he fit new coach TLue's changing plans better then Mozgov did.
but he is a serviceable big man that'll fit into Luke's GSW style offense pretty well, should fit well with both DLO & JC on the PnR, defends & rebounds hard (altho not at superstar levels), and can pass & hit the midrange.
In other words, he's about 5x better then Hibbert and should be a serviceable big man on what would be considered a reasonable contract in this sellers market.
I agree that a healthy Mozgov is an upgrade at center, I believe he was brought in for two reasons, he has championship level experience and he will teach Zubac everything he knows, as Laker fans is easy to bash any center that is not a superstar in the league, we have been spoiled with generations of great dominant centers, so the bar is the highest, and if the Lakers didnt offer the 4yr 64 Million, we would have to see Sacre fouling out or Zubac looking lost, your right it is a sellers market, and todays contracts are making Kobe last contract look little, he wont score like Pao or be dominant like Shaq, but he will play hard and if he can avg 12pt 8reb 1.5blks, then Mitch made the right move
I've watched Mozgov a lot across the last 2 years (also watched OKC, Spurs, GSW, etc)
Mozgov probably ends up as the #4 or 5 option with the Lakers, depending whether Randle develops a jumpshot.
I'd also expect him to do a lot of the dirty work that doesn't end up on the boxscore. Setting screens for DLO/JC, patrolling the lane, etc. He's just that kind of player

but last summer, when he signed that deal, he was on the bench behind Mozgov - and there wasn't any question that Mozgov was better them him (then)
It was easy to say then too, I had mozgov nowhere near Thompson's level back then and expected Thompson to be a max player.
I'm on Cavs forum site 365 days a year and I have not missed a season game in years and I have to tell you TT was getting burned in the paint and that's why Cavs gave 2 first round picks for Mozgov.

Cavs were hardly above .500 team when he arrived. We become instant contenders with him. Before Mozgov we were one of the worst teams defending the paint. Everyday people talked trash on Thompson and fans were even more mad we gave up so much to get Mozgov. Much like it is over here. Saying the same things.

About two weeks after the trade no one said another bad word about him. How could they? His stats were not over the top but you could see we were not being abused inside no more

Its not like he had a career threatening injury. Its was supposedly a simple surgery but didn't work that way. There is no question if healthy he is a game changer. The question should be is he back to form by the season start or do they need to go back in and work on the knee
He is not a game changer and even in the middle of his best NBA run the Cavs benched him.
Outside of Lebron and Durant, there are no game changers and the Lakers are not a logical choice for either side.

With Batum and others getting "Monopoly Money" where many of them have 9 figure contracts, why would the Lakers go "All In" on the feeding frenzy. No two FAs not name LBJ or Durant would make them serious contenders nor attract any others.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

That has nothing to do with what I said. Scott being hated on goes a little deeper than losing with awful players.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
factorX wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
P.K. wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
P.K. wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
P.K. wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Not me.

Outside of Lebron and Durant, there are no game changers and the Lakers are not a logical choice for either side.

With Batum and others getting "Monopoly Money" where many of them have 9 figure contracts, why would the Lakers go "All In" on the feeding frenzy. No two FAs not name LBJ or Durant would make them serious contenders nor attract any others.

Exactly which makes the giving of Mozgov a four year contract mind boggling. Was this move made in hopes of getting better or worse?
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

That has nothing to do with what I said. Scott being hated on goes a little deeper than losing with awful players.

Why?
VANEXELtoJONES
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject:

There's a reason why BOTH the Warriors and Spurs had Mozgov high on their list of FAs. And there's a reason the Cavs CHOSE to get rid of Varejao -- a crowd favorite in CLE -- over Mozgov. And there's reason why Brian Shaw called him his favorite player when Shaw coached in DEN. And last of all, there's a reason why Bron is on twitter giving props to his "brother Mozzie."

Bron (bleeping) knows that without Mozgov in the finals in 2015, he would have gotten swept. Mozgov was the ONLY other player who showed up and helped Bron in the finals.

Mozgov is a good pickup. You'll see.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Time better spent elsewhere
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 41 of 64
Jump to: