Lakers sign Timofey Mozgov to a 4 year, $64M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 62, 63, 64  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

Not thrilled with Mozgov's deal but hoping for the best.

If anything, this is probably a prime amnesty move if needed.
Khacho
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Imagine if we'd somehow gotten Towns instead of Russell.

We probably wouldnt have Ingram.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject:

Khacho wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

How do you figure that?
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cm3VN-TUcAApprV.jpg
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject:

Moz w/ the Jodie Meeks number
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject:

12 wrote:
Khacho wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

How do you figure that?

Because Towns had a historically great rookie campaign
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
12 wrote:
Khacho wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

How do you figure that?

Because Towns had a historically great rookie campaign

Byron would have found a way to mess with his head. He probably would have been benched about 10 games in because he was getting too confident.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject:

If Russell were still as talented as he is and was the 32nd pick instead of the 2nd, Byron would've never played him. I'm convinced he only played him as much as he did (not enough) because of pressure to play the 2nd overall pick. Don't underestimate Byron's ability to ruin anyone.
dr. buss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Best case he can put up Andrew Bynum numbers, worst case he is another Kwame Brown.

Chick Hearn Wazzup
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject:

If you look at Allen Crabbe's and Leuer's contracts, you will feel so much better
miamichico305
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject:

dr. buss wrote:
Best case he can put up Andrew Bynum numbers, worst case he is another Kwame Brown.

65mil.....kwame................:
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Timo already putting in the work

@tdathletesedge
Timo signed < 24hrs ago, & he's already knocked out 2 monster workouts!! #mozgov #lakerswork @Lakers
https://twitter.com/tdathletesedge/status/751838698547720192
rockyp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject:

$64,000,000 down the drain. Ladies and gents, Mitch and Jimbo actually able to outdo Chris Mihm's contract.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Signing Mozgov didn't cost LA any other free agents this year but it did fill a need. Most of the concern is about the length and total size of the contract. And while most would agree that Mitch paid a premium, the optics of doing so in an inflationary market has people more concerned than necessary.

For example, his 17-18 salary in 15-16 dollars is $10.5 million. It's the proportion of the cap that matters and that is how it would have fit last year. Since his deal remains flat his cap proportion declines over the course of the deal. And all of that assumes the deal is fully guaranteed and there is not amnesty in the next CBA. If either of those things turns out to be false the back end of the deal doesn't impact the team's ability to do anything they want in the future.

He's going to be good for us next year. Luke wanted him and he's a really skilled big man. He had a down year coming off non-structural knee surgery which put his conditioning behind and the Cavs had to manage their defense with getting Love on the floor. He will have a better situation in LA who has foot speed at every position.
Boldarblood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
epak wrote:
Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA 1m1 minute ago
Sources: Nene deal: 1-year, $2.9M

More treats for the Mozgov haters to nibble on.
While TMo and I are having piña coladas on the beach.

Haters? Sorry (actually I'm not) if we feel that Mozgov getting 16 mil per year is ridiculous if players like Al Jefferson and Nene are getting far less.

He's a solid player, but not at that price. People say, "But, the Warriors and Spurs wanted him!" yeah, PROVE to me that they were willing to pay anywhere near what we paid for him and that we were in a bidding war against them. The spurs and warriors aren't that stupid to pay him that much.

We paid what we had to.

Spurs and Warriors are both contenders, you are going to get players who are ring chasing for much less.

We are a 17 win team that just lost Kobe Bryant. A lot of fans were delusional to think we could sign any of the top free agents. Every team in the NBA had salary cap, and if you look a vast majority stayed with there home team.

While we may have overpaid, I dont believe it is as much as some people believe. This year and next year there is going to be a ton of stupid deals.

Other than that, I think that its hard to say what kind of player he is, that Cleveland team has a ton of depth. Right now I am really liking our 3 Headed Center Monster, 4 if Randle/Nance play small ball Center. I think he is a good mentor and even better platoon with Zublock. Gives Big Z time to grow into his position and get the necessary experience and endurance to be a full time starter in the NBA.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Krispy, Noah and Mahinmi are far better comps for Mozgov than Nene or Jefferson. NBA level talent evaluators know that which is why there is a disparity between what those two groups got paid. Of course they miss sometimes, but best information at the point of decision played out this way for a reason.

And the cost isn't a linear scale. When an asset is scarce being 30% better can mean you cost 300% as much. It's just the way things work. In LA's case, we need talent more than most teams so the additional talent is extremely valuable to us.

If you don't like Mozgov's game that's fair. It's effectively putting one's own talent evaluating skills against those of our scouting department. I actually agree with them based on what I've seen over the years. It's not without risk as he is coming off an injury year and is about to be 30. But our Scouts, GM and Coach went hard after this guy and they got him. It's a win even if people don't realize it yet.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject:

I said before free agency began that due to the amount of available cap space, you had to go for fit and forget finances. That is what the Lakers did, they spent what it took to fill two holes on the roster.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Just so everyone knows. I will be referring to our new starting Center as Mozgod.
To accurately describe his future impact on the floor.

1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject:

New plan.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Boldarblood wrote:
We paid what we had to.

Who knows? A number of comparable centers signed for much less, so maybe our outbid-everyone-in-the-opening-minute-of-free-agency strategy meant we were just bidding against ourselves.

We'll never know. I would have preferred to wait or limit it to a two-year deal. Water under the bridge. It is what it is.

But we probably know whether the deal is a win, lose or neutral until 2018, which is the point when we might be regretting the lost cap space.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Boldarblood wrote:
We paid what we had to.

Who knows? A number of comparable centers signed for much less, so maybe our outbid-everyone-in-the-opening-minute-of-free-agency strategy meant we were just bidding against ourselves.

We'll never know. I would have preferred to wait or limit it to a two-year deal. Water under the bridge. It is what it is.

But we probably know whether the deal is a win, lose or neutral until 2018, which is the point when we might be regretting the lost cap space.

Fingers crossed that amnesty is an option on the table at that point
Mitch Kupchak
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Boldarblood wrote:
We paid what we had to.

Did we ever use the amnesty given to every team this last time around? I just don't recall us using it. My understanding is that the amnesty would be good until the next negotiations (which is guess would be soon to expire anyways). I still think it's absolutely sad that we let ourselves get to this position. Obviously I wasn't the happiest of campers with the Moz acquisition. Obviously wasn't too happy with the amount we chose to pay the guy, but what annoyed me the most was the length given to this 30+ year old that's known for being injury prone. Same applies to Deng (length wise, of course).

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Mitch Kupchak wrote:
tox wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Boldarblood wrote:
We paid what we had to.

Did we ever use the amnesty given to every team this last time around? I just don't recall us using it. My understanding is that the amnesty would be good until the next negotiations (which is guess would be soon to expire anyways). I still think it's absolutely sad that we let ourselves get to this position. Obviously I wasn't the happiest of campers with the Moz acquisition. Obviously wasn't too happy with the amount we chose to pay the guy, but what annoyed me the most was the length given to this 30+ year old that's known for being injury prone. Same applies to Deng (length wise, of course).

We used it on Artest after Howard left
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9471444/los-angeles-lakers-waive-metta-world-peace-amnesty-clause
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject:

rockyp wrote:
$64,000,000 down the drain. Ladies and gents, Mitch and Jimbo actually able to outdo Chris Mihm's contract.

They couldn't possibly predicted Zubac coming along this quickly, and even if they did, you cannot depend on a rookie or get overly excited about summer league.
Mitch Kupchak
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Mitch Kupchak wrote:
tox wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Boldarblood wrote:
We paid what we had to.

We used it on Artest after Howard left
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9471444/los-angeles-lakers-waive-metta-world-peace-amnesty-clause

Totally missed that one. Thanks for the FYI!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 51 of 64
Jump to: