OFFICIAL Front Office Discussion and P&M Thread - Summer 2016 Edition
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: OFFICIAL Front Office Discussion and P&M Thread - Summer 2016 Edition

they got punked with CP3 veto, did nothing about it. then continued getting punked by other owners with rule and cap space changes, all gearing toward against Lakers. Buss family needs to go, period. we need deep pocket owner who's not afraid of raising questions and demand fairness.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject:

I don't think they have to go, but they need to speak up. Teams in low income state taxes have an unfair advantage and it's killing us in free agency

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc

Last edited by Andre2K on Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject:

Actually, it's because our ownership thought we were only 1 big player away for the past 2-3 years when we needed to be reloading and retooling the whole team the whole time with decent rotation guys and role players. The approach we're taking this year is what we should have done 2 summers ago when we foolishly went after Carmelo.

Jim and Jeanie naively thought that all you ever need to have a great team is to sign one or two big stars, and they seemingly forgot or never paid attention to the fact that big stars only want to come to teams that are actually functioning teams.

FAs want to be heroes for a city, not ones who have to build a city from the ground up.

Last edited by MIMLaker on Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject:

Mark Cuban should sell the Mavs and buy the Lakers lol.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject:

Again, not ownership's fault that the top FAs stayed with their respective clubs. Sounds like you are on a witch hunt here.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject:

Weak and dysfunctional ownership and one of the worst front offices in the NBA. Not a good combination.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
Again, not ownership's fault that the top FAs stayed with their respective clubs. Sounds like you are on a witch hunt here.

It's the old D'Antoni isn't Phil, so we should ditch him. How could it be worse? syndrome.
Bestlakersfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject:

Its not weak ownership or front office. Its weak-minded fans who have never been through a rebuild. Life has evolved and changed and the Lakers were stuck a few years ago in the win at all costs mode and did everything in their power to get us a good team. Getting salary cap flexibility, draft picks and letting Kobe go off into the sunset were all necessary.
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject:

there's some truth to this, very little sizzle in the lakers ownership and FO

Luke changes things a little I would say
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
I don't think they have to go, but they need to speak up. Teams in low income state taxes have an unfair advantage and it's killing us in free agency

They don't have low income taxes, California has high income taxes. I'm damn tired of feeding the government, the worst money-management institution in the world, more hard earned money.

Having said that, I'm sure the four headed monster is to blame for our woes. That is... Jim Buss, liberal taxes of California, 3 straight abysmal seasons and extraneous variables (Kobe legacy, Dwight Howard bad-mouthing us to probably every NBA player after he left for Houston, etc).

The Lakers may have $30-$35 million left to spend on FA... which is not bad at all. Hopefully they don't overpay too much for whatever left over talent is still available or they save it for next season's FA class.

Last edited by M2K on Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject:

Bestlakersfan wrote:
Its not weak ownership or front office. Its weak-minded fans who have never been through a rebuild. Life has evolved and changed and the Lakers were stuck a few years ago in the win at all costs mode and did everything in their power to get us a good team. Getting salary cap flexibility, draft picks and letting Kobe go off into the sunset were all necessary.

It's not weak-minded fans. This rebuild is taking longer than it should have because the people in charge had a myopic view of what free agents would be drawn to, meanwhile giving short shrift to the idea of building a team piece by piece. Too many homerun swings, trying to build the next dynasty when you already had a contender. Then trying to build a contender before building a playoff team.

In fact, the ball started rolling when they decided to blow up a team that failed to reach the Finals for the first time in four years. All that was needed was the kind of retooling the Spurs were doing. Instead, they blew up the core. It's been all down hill from there.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
Actually, it's because our ownership thought we were only 1 big player away for the past 2-3 years when we needed to be reloading and retooling the whole team the whole time with decent rotation guys and role players. The approach we're taking this year is what we should have done 2 summers ago when we foolishly went after Carmelo.

Jim and Jeanie naively thought that all you ever need to have a great team is to sign one or two big stars, and they seemingly forgot or never paid attention to the fact that big stars only want to come to teams that are actually functioning teams.

FAs want to be heroes for a city, not ones who have to build a city from the ground up.

I think their thinking was that if a franchise player available, they would try to get him but otherwise, they'd keep rebuilding. They have three high picks now, if they get a couple decent veterans and one of their draft picks can be their star, they're set. In the next couple years that could be a team the home run free agents want to join.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject:

Bestlakersfan wrote:

Yawn. Coming out of 2010, the Lakers had everything. They had pieces to trade, they had another Championship banner, they still had the "reputation", they had a great owner, etc.

From that point on, as Jerry Buss's involvement decreased and Jim Buss's involvement increased... the Lakers went to BLEEP. While its true that fans have to grin and bear the rebuilding process (what choice is there if you are a Lakers fan), they have a right to be angry after watching the predictable collapse of a great franchise at the hands of an incompetent VP of basketball operations.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: the root problem of all this is we have a weak ownership

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
they got punked with CP3 veto, did nothing about it. then continued getting punked by other owners with rule and cap space changes, all gearing toward against Lakers.

What action should they take?
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:

That is within the realm of discussion during the owners meetings.
The Lakers have their share of advantages as well.
Man with No Name
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject:

Well...of course.

The little Buss children clearly didn't inherit even a shred of their fathers business acumen.

How Jimmy Buss could command even the slightest ounce of respect from any Laker fan is beyond me.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: the root problem of all this is we have a weak ownership

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
they got punked with CP3 veto, did nothing about it. then continued getting punked by other owners with rule and cap space changes, all gearing toward against Lakers.

A formal grievance letter... in comic sans.
loseyourname
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject:

They seem bad to me for other reasons, mostly the infighting and a general sense they have no real plan, but none of those things you listed are something they can do anything about. They also can't change the California tax code. I guess they could move the team to Vegas where there is zero income tax.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:

They did swing for the fences, but still managed to stockpile young talent on cheap contracts and hire the best young coach available.
We have talent, that talent will take time to grow and mature and when it does the Free Agents will follow.
Takes time, though.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: the root problem of all this is we have a weak ownership

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Man up?
wstrojan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject:

I don't think you can objectively defend the ownership group at this point. Unfortunately I'm not sure there's a fix coming.
lakerhaterhater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Andre2K wrote:

I was convinced of that some time ago but you know, I'm not quite sure we do, not with all the money these days
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: the root problem of all this is we have a weak ownership

Hector the Pup wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

WoMan up?

Jeannie is our rep in the owners meetings, you cad!
Liam_x7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
This is a major issue to go along with the ownership situation, Hey listen If I had to give half of my salary back in Tax then I would avoid coming here too, Seriously

Its a major issue is the Tax situation
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject:

lakerhaterhater wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Andre2K wrote:

I was convinced of that some time ago but you know, I'm not quite sure we do, not with all the money these days

The reality of modern sports is that you can become an international icon in a small market. We have lost that advantage. We have lost most, but not quite all, of our financial advantages. We do still have the advantages of location, prestige, and the like. Those advantages just don't come into play at this stage of the rebuilding process.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: