OFFICIAL Front Office Discussion and P&M Thread - Summer 2016 Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
Team has missed Jerry West progressively since he left. West built a Kobe-Shaq dynasty and now he's done it again in GSW. Even in Memphis he put together teams that went deep into the playoffs.

I think the lakers are missing a communicator. somebody who dig into his past, is well respected and can sell the vision to recruiting FA. Jerry west was 1 and Jerry buss was solid.

look at the banners crap is not working anymore.

I thought you said (bleep) Jerry West and that he did nothing.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject:

West has a much easier time selling a team that just won 73 games. Btw, West wanted Moncrief over Magic. Nobody is perfect.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Office Cloud.

Lakers2015 wrote:
I am really, really excited about the Lakers future. I think they have an excellent young core with at least two potential and imo probable future stars at worst to me All Stars and three other really good players. Even though we overpaid I do like the additions we made. Adding a couple of quality veterans to help the young guys grow. One concern that is really bothering me is the front office cloud.

It's just something I want figured out already. I agree with a lot of people that Jim and Mitch haven't done a good enough job. This is not the third straight season where they have had cap space and they haven't added one impact player. To go along with the previously terrible coaching hires, some failed trades, letting some quality players like Bazemore and Davis go. I just think the time has come to move on.

The perception is the two are incompatent more so Jim and maybe that's fair, but it is what it is. I just don't know that any great free agent will consider us if a resolution isn't made even if we make progress. I fully expect changes will be made within a year, but until that happens it's just a really unsettling feeling. I think they need some new blood, a fresh face in the front office. There's talk about promoting Jesse Buss and Ryan West. Another name I like Troy Weaver. He's had a chance to learn under one of the best GM's in the league in Presti. They've consistently been able to build one of the most talented rosters in the league. If Durant leaves it's no fault of their own because that team is argurably the most talented team in the NBA.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Do you think it's time to move on from Mitch and Jim? If so who should they go after in your opinion? Are you with me that it's really unsettling having this cloud hang over the franchise? Appreciate your thoughts.

I think it's time for the entire Buss family to sell the majority of their shares. Between 6 of them, they own 66%. I think they all need to sell down to 18% and let people who actually have vision, direction, and excitement take over. I guess they could all stay on in some capacity but somebody needs to be the head honcho.

Regardless of selling the team:

Mitch is a good GM but he's in no way shape or form the face of a franchise. If he's the guy getting in front of FA's, we're in trouble and that is exactly what has been shown. Mitch can be a GM but not the face and Jim is even worse.

I'm so fed up with how things have gone for 3 years. Everything they have done good has been a result of luck or mis-planning. The young guys might be great but we've had literally everything work in our favor to get them-- despite that not being what FO was trying to do.

They all should go TBH
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
West has a much easier time selling a team that just won 73 games. Btw, West wanted Moncrief over Magic. Nobody is perfect.

The ability of Jerry West is in how he was a major part of building a team that is capable of 73 wins. He created Laker dynasties and now a juggernaut in the bay. Personally reaching out and using personal experience relating to his losses in the finals to speak to what matters most to Durant is a unique and rare ability..it's a big part of how he brought Shaq to the Lakers. Mitch is good, he's not the logo though. Dr.Buss was smart to bring on West when he did. It's a shame he is not with the Lakers anymore. The Lakers haven't been in this position for a long time - no best player - questionable FO ability - siblings vying for power.
lakerhi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
Weak and dysfunctional ownership and one of the worst front offices in the NBA. Not a good combination.

agree 100%

running the Lakers is not the same as running the horses.

Though both came out the same way!
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

Of course, nobody is perfect but West is pretty impressive and whole lot better than who we have now.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Of course, nobody is perfect but West is pretty impressive and whole lot better than who we have now.

Better than Milktoast Mitch and Buffoon Buss? I don't know about that.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Good job Jim and Mitch.
Keep up the good work and get us to the playoffs.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
Team has missed Jerry West progressively since he left. West built a Kobe-Shaq dynasty and now he's done it again in GSW. Even in Memphis he put together teams that went deep into the playoffs.

I think the lakers are missing a communicator. somebody who dig into his past, is well respected and can sell the vision to recruiting FA. Jerry west was 1 and Jerry buss was solid.

1st i never said fcuk J erry west
2nd i said Bob Myers is as much responsible to putting that roster together and drafting those players. Hiring Steve Kerr and so on.

you were making it sound like Jerry West closed the deal and he is solely responsible for durant going there, which is far from reality
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
ReaListik wrote:

1st i never said (bleep) J erry west
2nd i said Bob Myers is as much responsible to putting that roster together and drafting those players. Hiring Steve Kerr and so on.

you were making it sound like Jerry West closed the deal and he is solely responsible for durant going there, which is far from reality

Is there is a perception, mostly by old school media who seem to want to give Jerry West too much credit these days?
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

The ability of Jerry West is in how he was a major part of building a team that is capable of 73 wins. He created Laker dynasties and now a juggernaut in the bay. Personally reaching out and using personal experience relating to his losses in the finals to speak to what matters most to Durant is a unique and rare ability..it's a big part of how he brought Shaq to the Lakers. Mitch is good, he's not the logo though. Dr.Buss was smart to bring on West when he did. It's a shame he is not with the Lakers anymore. The Lakers haven't been in this position for a long time - no best player - questionable FO ability - siblings vying for power.

West wanted Sidney Moncrief over Magic, was overruled by Dr. Buss and the rest is history. Show-Time made West's selling job that much easier. You know the saying the rich, gets richer? Well, the fortunate, can get more fortunate. Magic Johnson basically catapulted Jerry West. Heck, Magic launched Pat Riley as well. Much the same way MJ catapulted Phil Jackson. If he didn't have that opportunity in Chicago, then he wouldn't have that opportunity in LA. There was so much success in the 80's, West only drafted in the later rounds year after year. His hits are remembered, but he misses just like any other GM. For every AC Green, there is a Sam Jacobsen. For every Vlade Divac, there is a David Rivers. George Lynch at 12 was terrible in 93, but then he gets lucky with Nick Van Excel at 38 in the same draft. If he can really see the future, Nick goes 12, Lynch goes 38. There has only been 1 super star in his prime in the past 30 yrs that the Lakers have lured, and that's Shaq. And even still, we had a 50+ win team ready for him. When we got Malone and Payton, they were past their prime, and even still, we had to have a championship roster ready for them. However, Jerry West, cemented his legend with the Kobe Bryant pick, and even that, was simply gravy on top. He needed to get rid of Vlade anyway to sign Shaq. If Kobe doesn't pan out, it didn't matter, the move was for Shaq. Jerry is a great GM, no doubt. But this isn't exact science, and it takes luck as well as skill, and West had a good dosage of both.

West was never tested the way the current management is tested.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

West wanted Sidney Moncrief over Magic, was overruled by Dr. Buss and the rest is history. Show-Time made West's selling job that much easier. You know the saying the rich, gets richer? Well, the fortunate, can get more fortunate. Magic Johnson basically catapulted Jerry West. Heck, Magic launched Pat Riley as well. Much the same way MJ catapulted Phil Jackson. If he didn't have that opportunity in Chicago, then he wouldn't have that opportunity in LA. There was so much success in the 80's, West only drafted in the later rounds year after year. His hits are remembered, but he misses just like any other GM. For every AC Green, there is a Sam Jacobsen. For every Vlade Divac, there is a David Rivers. George Lynch at 12 was terrible in 93, but then he gets lucky with Nick Van Excel at 38 in the same draft. If he can really see the future, Nick goes 12, Lynch goes 38. There has only been 1 super star in his prime in the past 30 yrs that the Lakers have lured, and that's Shaq. And even still, we had a 50+ win team ready for him. When we got Malone and Payton, they were past their prime, and even still, we had to have a championship roster ready for them. However, Jerry West, cemented his legend with the Kobe Bryant pick, and even that, was simply gravy on top. He needed to get rid of Vlade anyway to sign Shaq. If Kobe doesn't pan out, it didn't matter, the move was for Shaq. Jerry is a great GM, no doubt. But this isn't exact science, and it takes luck as well as skill, and West had a good dosage of both.

Bazemore and Davis had much better financial and PT offers at teams that had better chances of winning.

Any good established players would want more than a one year contract, hence restricting their ability to acquire needed players, while also needing to be compatible with Kobe.

Deng and his salary is much better than Harrison Barnes and his $23.5M per year contract
shoulder doc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject:

Jerry West front office work speaks for itself. Of course there are hits and misses but his hits led to championships. The Kobe deal alone makes you a legend in the front office. He was the one who discovered Kobe and at the time trading an established 7 footer when big men were more valuable for a 17 year old high school kid when in the mid 90s high school to the NBA was almost unheard of and the rest is history: 5 rings.

The reports are that the room was split on trading Klay for Love but that West was a strong vote against. At the time it was a tough call because it made conventional sense to have add an all star frontcourt player with Steph. That has already led to 1 title and looks like more to come.

West phone call pitch likely resonated with KD giving him his very personal history of finishing 2nd followed with the game will be much easier in the GS system

He may not be the GM but it seems his voice is heard and has influence on the decisions that are made. Some people in life have a gift for being able to communicate effectively and get their pitch or point across. Jerry west is just one of those people. When the logo speaks you listen.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

Receipts.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=174743&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=56425

Jim99187 wrote:

dude, its not what west did or say.

GSW has 2 time b2b MVP, 2 other all stars in Klay + Dre Green + Finals MVP

F west. he did nothing.

Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

Receipts.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=174743&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=56425

Jim99187 wrote:

F west. he did nothing.

If you can't understand in what context it was said then forget it.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

And he never won in Memphis.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

Receipts.

Jim99187 wrote:

[b]F west. he did nothing.
[/b]

LOL, what he meant to say is uuuhhhh, well dang, I hate people who bring in the facts!!!
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

Receipts.

Jim99187 wrote:

F west. he did nothing.

Weak, admit you said it and move on. Don't discount others for being stupid and not up to your incredible analysis capabilities while they clearly are calling you on something with proof. Doesn't really matter whatever context you have imagined. They said you said it, you denied it and they went out and found the place you said it.

Oh well, you can explain it away, that would be OK but you can't discount the guy for finding it. You just end out discounting yourself.

Just sayin'!
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject:

What are youssss guys talking about ... we have Ryan West!
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

Receipts.

Jim99187 wrote:

F west. he did nothing.

Weak, admit you said it and move on. Don't discount others for being stupid and not up to your incredible analysis capabilities while they clearly are calling you on something with proof. Doesn't really matter whatever context you have imagined. They said you said it, you denied it and they went out and found the place you said it.

Oh well, you can explain it away, that would be OK but you can't discount the guy for finding it. You just end out discounting yourself.

Just sayin'!

admit it to what? you just post a post by purposely leaving any context whatsoever? and i am suppose to accept it?

I have accepted before and said my bad before but not on this.

so as a consultant, jerry west gets 100% credit of putting that team together and Bob Myers is just his boy toy, doing all the dirty work?

lol sure.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

And he never won in Memphis.

So do you really think that our current FO is better suited without Jerry West.

I agree that he never won in Memphis.

However, for argument sake, if the current FO was struck in Memphis, I think West would do a better job.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

admit it to what? you just post a post by purposely leaving any context whatsoever? and i am suppose to accept it?

I have accepted before and said my bad before but not on this.

so as a consultant, jerry west gets 100% credit of putting that team together and Bob Myers is just his boy toy, doing all the dirty work?

lol sure.

Who said this? Please, feel free to find this quote from me or anyone else here lol. Jerry West was absolutely awesome for the Lakers, was a positive influence on the Grizz, and has done some incredible work as part of GS's front office, as Myers himself would no doubt say. Not sure where you got this "Bob Myers is just his boy toy" butthurt stuff from. Weird.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject:

who knows why durant chose GSW. but IMO, players in that meeting swayed him more than a general manager. GMs can make promises left and right. but you need to talk to the players and coaches who you will be battling with to see where their heads are at.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject:

No sky is falling rants at Jim Buss showing up late to the presser and/or for wearing a hat?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject:

So who wants to be dumb enough to continue to complain about Jim Buss coming in and re-organizing the scouting department? That dumping the guys that had and replacing them with Jesse Buss and Ryan West was a bad thing to do? Getting one second round gem in the draft is amazing, 2 in 3 seasons is f'in great. Whine and complain about the FO all you want, it only makes you look petty.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: