Ray Lewis: Michael Jordan told me he regrets playing for Wizards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Ray Lewis: Michael Jordan told me he regrets playing for Wizards

I don't doubt Jordan regrets playing for the Wizards I doubt he would talk to Ray Lewis about this though.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/11/ray-lewis-michael-jordan-told-me-he-regrets-playing-for-wizards/

Quote:
Ray Lewis: Michael Jordan told me he regrets playing for Wizards

In a discussion of whether Aaron Rodgers should ever leave the Green Bay Packers, former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis brought up Michal Jordan.

Lewis on Fox Sports 1:

This is the honest (bleep) truth. M.J. – I’ll never forget this – said to me, “The only thing I regret is putting on another uniform.”

Lewis seems to be implying Jordan regretted playing for the Wizards, because it tarnished his legacy as exclusively a Bull. And maybe, while Jordan was still in Washington and shortly thereafter, that was true. But, by now, he’s overwhelmingly remembered for his time in Chicago.

Jordan probably wanted to spend his entire career with the Bulls, but they had moved on. If he hadn’t come out of retirement with another team in order to preserve his status of having played for only Chicago, I think he’d regret not scratching that itch.

Besides, we don’t even know what Jordan meant. Maybe he regretted playing for the Wizards because they went 37-45 and 37-45 in his two seasons in Washington.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Only memorable game to come out of the Wizard years was the one where Kobe torched his ass for 42 first half points. He pried the torch from Jordan and punched him in the gut at the same time.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ray Lewis: Michael Jordan told me he regrets playing for Wizards

Basketball Fan wrote:
I don't doubt Jordan regrets playing for the Wizards I doubt he would talk to Ray Lewis about this though.

Why? I have no problem imagining Lewis and Jordan running into each other somewhere and Jordan mentioning this.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject:

lmao Kwame
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Only memorable game to come out of the Wizard years was the one where Kobe torched his ass for 42 first half points. He pried the torch from Jordan and punched him in the gut at the same time.

He did have a few. There were a couple of buzzer game winners and a 50 pt gm and various other large statline games and yowza! plays of yore, but he couldn't do that stuff at will any longer, naturally. He was hit and miss like most 40 yr olds would be. He had 2 points against the Lakers in one game. Malone didn't overtake Kareem in scoring, but Mike's stint with the Wizards did at least give him "best 40 yr old player" tag, at least until LeBrawn tries to do it here.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Hammett wrote:

He did have a few. There were a couple of buzzer game winners and a 50 pt gm and various other large statline games and yowza! plays of yore, but he couldn't do that stuff at will any longer, naturally. He was hit and miss like most 40 yr olds would be. He had 2 points against the Lakers in one game. Malone didn't overtake Kareem in scoring, but Mike's stint with the Wizards did at least give him "best 40 yr old player" tag, at least until LeBrawn tries to do it here.

I wasn't even 10 when Jordan played for the Wiz. But I do distinctly remember one All-Star game (2003?) where Jordan shot his trademark fadeaway to give the East a 2 point lead in the final seconds. After that, Jermaine O'Neal fouled Kobe on a 3-point attempt. Kobe sank all 3 and the West ended up winning by 1. I mean, how fitting is that?

EDIT: I also realized, if Jordan didn't comeback as a Wizard, I probably would have never seen him play live (TV, not in-person).
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:

He only came back because he thought he could salvage the team he built in the FO.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject:

Gellollo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Hammett wrote:

I wasn't even 10 when Jordan played for the Wiz. But I do distinctly remember one All-Star game (2003?) where Jordan shot his trademark fadeaway to give the East a 2 point lead in the final seconds. After that, Jermaine O'Neal fouled Kobe on a 3-point attempt. Kobe sank all 3 and the West ended up winning by 1. I mean, how fitting is that?

EDIT: I also realized, if Jordan didn't comeback as a Wizard, I probably would have never seen him play live (TV, not in-person).

Yeah, I remember a lot of Kobehaters griping and whining about Kobe "ruining" Mike's storybook final ASG moment. "Leave it to Kobe to RUIN the ending of the game." That was an actual refrain used. On UnRealGM and hack writers like LeBaretard.

I seriously doubt Mike had any qualms about coming back to do whatever he wanted to do at age 40 on a franchise no one gave a crap about. Not even themselves. One of their team officials had their lone championship trophy (1978) sitting in a closet at his house. They had to put an APB out on it a few years ago to prove they actually won one. That was Mike at that stage of his life getting the last remnants of scoring and shooting and maybe traveling/NBA life out of his system before it was too late. He scolded a reporter then who asked why he needed to say he was 99% sure this was the end. "Because it's my 1 percent, not chors." Looking back at age 55, he might feel it was a little tawdry.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ray Lewis: Michael Jordan told me he regrets playing for Wizards

activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Why? I have no problem imagining Lewis and Jordan running into each other somewhere and Jordan mentioning this.

Jordan's persona has never been about being open with weaknesses to anyone really.

That's why I find it hard to believe he would disclose this with anyone.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject:

Mike's game winners. He always got good looks. That corner key shot was not gonna miss, especially after the pump fake that stans always bit on. He was great at separating himself and decoying, too. I have to admit Kobe wasn't quite as good as that til later in his career, but Jordan always seemed to have simple plays diagrammed for him to create his path to such easy shots. "Gimme the ball and GTF outta the way." No matter Phil or Dougie. I wish Kobe could've gotten more of those perfect unfurlings of spacetime.

Check Jumaine Jones leaving him. Ha. Noooyce. Good future teammate for Kobe to have.

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

Tarnished his legacy in the same way Kobe did in the last three years of his career. Damaged the invincibility narrative.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

Well considering most people barely mention his Wizards years I say it didn't really harm Jordan that much
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Well considering most people barely mention his Wizards years I say it didn't really harm Jordan that much

If having some crappy seasons at the end of your career when you are old and hurt kept people out of the Hall of Fame, it would be a really small Hall.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

I still remember Olbermann announcing on Fox Sports excitedly that MJ was coming out of retirement. Have no idea why he came out of retirement considering he had a storybook ending to his career and nothing left to prove. Especially playing on a crappy team like the Wizards with players he drafted.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Mike's game winners. He always got good looks. That corner key shot was not gonna miss, especially after the pump fake that stans always bit on. He was great at separating himself and decoying, too. I have to admit Kobe wasn't quite as good as that til later in his career, but Jordan always seemed to have simple plays diagrammed for him to create his path to such easy shots. "Gimme the ball and GTF outta the way." No matter Phil or Dougie. I wish Kobe could've gotten more of those perfect unfurlings of spacetime.

Check Jumaine Jones leaving him. Ha. Noooyce. Good future teammate for Kobe to have.

oh he would have, if not for the rule changes allowing for zone.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

If having some crappy seasons at the end of your career when you are old and hurt kept people out of the Hall of Fame, it would be a really small Hall.

Who said anything about keeping him from the HOF?

I'm talking about the "GOAT" discussion. Nobody uses his stint with the Wizards against him. Any other player they would.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

I'm talking about the "GOAT" discussion. Nobody uses his stint with the Wizards against him. Any other player they would.

MJ was 3 years away from the NBA and was nearing 40. Nobody except a couple of over the top journalists expected him to resume his old form. For example, just look at Magic when he came back after a couple of seasons away. Flashes of brilliance but not the same player when he left.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

You are wrong. Most of the guys in the GOAT discussion had a few crappy seasons at the end of their careers because of age/injury: Bird, Hakeem, Oscar, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Kareem.

Guys who didn't: Wilt (because he retired early because he was going to go to the ABA for more money but the Lakers sued him to prevent it):Magic, whose career ended adrupted because of HIV.

That's my take. But tell me who you had in mind with this "other player they would." Who exactly is this "any other player" cause I don't know the heck you're thinking of.

And specifics, please.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

You are wrong. Most of the guys in the GOAT discussion had a few crappy seasons at the end of their careers because of age/injury: Bird, Hakeem, Oscar, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Kareem.

Guys who didn't: Wilt (because he retired early because he was going to go to the ABA for more money but the Lakers sued him to prevent it):Magic, whose career ended adrupted because of HIV.

That's my take. But tell me who you had in mind with this "other player they would." Who exactly is this "any other player" cause I don't know the heck you're thinking of.

And specifics, please.

Charles Barkley, Scottie Pippen, Karl Malone, Gary Payton.

To name a few their last gasp team hopping was used against them.

Jordan though you always see Bulls highlights its as if his stint with the Wizards was forgotten.

They act as if he walked on water.

Had Kobe done that it would be all they talked about.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

And specifics, please.

Jordan though you always see Bulls highlights its as if his stint with the Wizards was forgotten.

What's held against Barkley and Malone was that they never won a ring. Payton is a guy no one really gives much thought to because he was good but not that good. I don't see that any of these guys are a good example of the point you're trying to make. If you lopped off the last few years of their careers, they still wouldn't be in the goat discussion, and their reputations wouldn't be any different than they are now
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

And specifics, please.

What's held against Barkley and Malone was that they never won a ring. Payton is a guy no one really gives much thought to because he was good but not that good. I don't see that any of these guys are a good example of the point you're trying to make. If you lopped off the last few years of their careers, they still wouldn't be in the goat discussion, and their reputations wouldn't be any different than they are now

Shaq was a shell of his former self in the last few years of his career despite his dominance nobody really uses that against him either(he's probably a better example)
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

And specifics, please.

Shaq was a shell of his former self in the last few years of his career despite his dominance nobody really uses that against him either(he's probably a better example)

Shaq supports my comment that the last few years of a players career, when he's old or injured, doesn't really affect his overall reputation. Players are judged based on what they do in their prime. So are you agreeing with me now?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject:

No because when a player defects to another team as a shell of their former self that is also included in their career as a slight if the player isn't a media darling like Jordan and Shaq.

Barkley comes to mind.

Had Kobe went elsewhere it would've been used against him too.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
No because when a player defects to another team as a shell of their former self that is also included in their career as a slight if the player isn't a media darling like Jordan and Shaq.

Barkley comes to mind.

Nah.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Michael probably regrets he won't have the distinction of playing for one team his entire career. Key phrase
Quote:
This is the honest (bleep) truth. M.J. – I’ll never forget this – said to me, “The only thing I regret is putting on another uniform.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: