ESPN's Kevin Pelton projects Lakers to win 26 games after signings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
ESPN has actually been pretty spot on predicting our records for a while, I think. We always complain they're under estimating us, but I think we've consistently come in below their predictions the last few seasons. Also it's always interesting to see how off a lot of predictions were prior to the season. Just goes to show it's really tough to do, since there are so many variables.
We would have beaten 26 wins if we kept Lou (most likely).
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
ESPN has actually been pretty spot on predicting our records for a while, I think. We always complain they're under estimating us, but I think we've consistently come in below their predictions the last few seasons. Also it's always interesting to see how off a lot of predictions were prior to the season. Just goes to show it's really tough to do, since there are so many variables.

Hmm, I don't know about that. We were 19-39 when Lou was traded. Taking out the 10-10 start, we were 9-29. At the 9-29 pace, which included Lou, we would be on track to win 5 more games the rest of the way which puts us at 24.

I know some might want to include the 10-10 but we have looked nothing like that team in the last 40 games.

I mean it's hard to believe but we had 10 wins in November. So in the last 3+ months we have won 9 games, but somehow in the next month we would have won 8 if we kept Lou? I doubt that.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
tox wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Hmm, I don't know about that. We were 19-39 when Lou was traded. Taking out the 10-10 start, we were 9-29. At the 9-29 pace, which included Lou, we would be on track to win 5 more games the rest of the way which puts us at 24.

I know some might want to include the 10-10 but we have looked nothing like that team in the last 40 games.

I mean it's hard to believe but we had 10 wins in November. So in the last 3+ months we have won 9 games, but somehow in the next month we would have won 8 if we kept Lou? I doubt that.

You seemed to have left out the whole starting Calderon and MWP thing. Plus the losing the best playmaker and the two best defenders (on a team that desperately needs them) for extended stretches.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
tox wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

You seemed to have left out the whole starting Calderon and MWP thing. Plus the losing the best playmaker and the two best defenders (on a team that desperately needs them) for extended stretches.

Ok, well even in the last month that Lou was here, we went around 4-14. Take out 3 of the games DLO missed, that puts us at 4-11. At that pace, on the remaining 24 games, that still gives us 6 wins for a total of 25. We did play a lot of road games in that span though.

I mean, my point isn't that we could not have won 8 games in the final 24. My point is that we can't really say we would have won 8 had we kept Lou given that we would have to accelerate our win rate over the previous 40 games by 3 fold in the final 24. (I mean, we would have to accomplish in one month, what it took us about 3 months to do).
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject:

Welp...

I don't know if I posted in this thread but I remember being indignant when this article appeared.

Now imma hold my L and stick to makeup & singing.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

Winning 26 games would mean they have to go 7-13 the rest of the way. Does this look like a team that can win 7 more games?
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

Dude totally overrated us.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Pass...
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
tox wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Take out the days when we were injured and yes I think so. I'd have guessed ~28-29 wins. I don't think the team in November is that different than the team now.

Last edited by tox on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Future's so dark I lost my shades
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if MozDeng lived up to his projections.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
I wonder if MozDeng lived up to his projections.
Moz yes, Deng was probably worse.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
tox wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Take out the days when we were injured and yes I think so. I'd have guessed ~28-29 wins. I don't think the team in November is that different than the team now.

i keep them in because we have a mix of healthy and not healthy. There is no guarantee with Lou we would have stayed healthy. I always think projections should assume average injuries.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject:

Kudos to peloton for hitting this on the money
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject:

Ugh. 10-10 start, injuries galore killing a fragile chemistry that was working, a hard switch to tank mode that included trading away Williams and benching all our established vets, and an unlikely 5 game win streak late in the season.

And through all that, Pelton nailed the win number.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject:

I'll take a 9 game improvement, noticeable improvement of our core young guys, AND a basically 50/50 chance to get a top 3 pick.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject:

Prior to the preseason, I predicted a range of 27 to 32 wins. I guess that was wildly optimistic.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Ugh. 10-10 start, injuries galore killing a fragile chemistry that was working, a hard switch to tank mode that included trading away Williams and benching all our established vets, and an unlikely 5 game win streak late in the season.

And through all that, Pelton nailed the win number.

It's not about the destination, but the journey
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject:

For the second straight season some BSPN haters were perfectly right with their predictions about us.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject:

except their predictions likely don't account for major factors that contributed to our record like dumping Lou and sitting the vets with a ton of games left.

They get no props from me
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
For the second straight season some BSPN haters were perfectly right with their predictions about us.

Yeah. I had us in the 28-32 win range (Which we probably get if we kept Lou and played Moz/Deng). It's a bit easier to "predict" the lower teams IMO.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject:

Pelton got it right. I thought we would have won 35 games.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

I thought 25 wins would happen so this is cool with me. Not to mention that LAL threw in the towel EARLY at all star break. Went two months trying very hard to lose games.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject:

If I remember correctly, I thought we'd win 30-35 games. The higher end was if everything went our way. A nine game improvement is pretty good, and we would have had a shot at 30ish wins if injuries didn't kill us in December and January, and we didn't tank the latter portion of the season.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:

I predicted 25 wins, but I didn't project a new regime coming in and completely loading up the tank. I'm pleasantly surprised by how many wins we got this season, could've gotten 30 wins if we didn't trade Lou.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11
Jump to: