The Knicks willl be absolute monster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject:

The Triangle or Phil Jackson's influence to their coaching, isn't even close to that team's problem. I've looked at the numbers for the team, and it doesn't seem at all like their offense is costing them games. It's all bout defense. Where Phil Jackson needs to acknowledge mistakes is that he put together a team ithout enough young active bodies in the starting 5. Not enough defense. Their rating on offense is pretty solid. Their defense is not. With Kristaps, the way he is playing is fantastic for them longterm. I rather have 1 draft pick who can be THAT guy, than 3-4 draft picks who are good but not THAT guy. Regardless if you look at their core, Rose is an O first player. Melo is always about ISOs and O. Noah plays with energy but is not in his prime, plus he has to share the court with KP. Lee is a decent but not great defender. KP has talent to become a good defender but I'm not ready to call him a good man up defender - way too foul prone. So essentially Jackson has put together a starting 5 that has more than enough offense to compete with teams, but lacking the neccessary defense to become a contender. They'll likely be what they are today - I believe they are 7th in the East. A playoff team as a 7th or 8th seed or a lottery team missing out of the playoffs by a few games.

NY media, all the blah blah about Triangle, is nonsense. The Triangle was the primary offense ran for 11 championship teams, and 13 NBA Finals teams, and was ran as recently as 2010 to win a championship. It's about defense here. Good teams that contend also play defense. This is where Jackson needs to acknolwdge he is making a mistake. He hired Jeff Hornachek, who is one of the better young coaches in the league and was on my radar for a good coach for the Lakers. For 2/3 years he did a great job in PHX and ask Isiah Thomas how much Hornachek helped him become the player he is now in Boston. He was a good get by Phil. So I don't think it's about the Triangle or any of that right now. Maybe if Rambis was the head coach, yes.

Longterm, Jackson should step up and take a risk here. He's got a great thing with Kristaps. Jackson needs to line up the cards such that by the time KP is 22-23 or so, they have a prime star guard to pair him with. I think having Rose and Jennings has helped KP a lot this year vs last year having Calderon. If Jackson before he leaves this job can get NY Kristaps and a young guard with all-star ability, he has done great for them. But he won't be able to acheieve that so long as he keeps putting the eggs in the Melo basket. Gotta deal Melo, even if you are able to make the playoffs. This is a 1st or max 2nd round team. Melo can still play and is seen as an all-star. He has a NTC, but get the value and re-build chips, Phil. That's the play here. That's going to seperate him from failure vs success. When you have a building block like Kristaps at 21, you need to do all you have in your power to pair him with a guard in his prime. Future is set then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Monstrosity*
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject:

I caught some parts of Knicks games recently. I like some of the things they're doing offensively. A lot of Spurs style Motion Strong and Down One actions that help them reverse the ball, and they finish with PnR pretty frequently. The pace is OK. The bits and pieces of the triangle that they're still using mostly make sense. Still too much isolation to my liking but that may be down to the play style of the individual players than the system.

That said, the Knicks so far are only an average offensive team- 14th in offensive rating.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Knicks aren't a monster, but so far they are looking like a playoff team. Lots of fragile players to be relying on, though.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:10 am    Post subject:

Speaking of fragile, Derrick "My goal is to play 82" Rose is likely to be out for the Cavs game.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject:

So, uh, Lakers vs Knicks records are kind of scary when thinking about a good case for Jeannie to bring Phil back. Ugh.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
So, uh, Lakers vs Knicks records are kind of scary when thinking about a good case for Jeannie to bring Phil back. Ugh.

Not really. LA sentiment is loud and clear, we don't want Phil. Ireland and Mason talks about fan reactions all the time, along with other outlets, I'm sure Jeannie knows it would be stupid. Phil would take Okafor if he had the #2 pick.

Anyway, I hope the Knicks are for reals actually. I hope Rose is healthy, and Krispy is the real deal. It'd be healthy for the NBA, and especially the East.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

In the past couple years, more times than I can count, Phil and Jeannie have said Phil is happy in NY. It's only the media that has speculated on Phil coming back to LA. The parties involved have consistently denied it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Had to revisit this thread....nope the Knicks still suck....
TNT crew was saying they should merge the Nets and Knicks into one team.....
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Had to revisit this thread....nope the Knicks still suck....
TNT crew was saying they should merge the Nets and Knicks into one team.....

The basketball world might implode. Can you imagine putting both those FO's together.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject:

On the bright side, it has quieted down the Porzingis whining for a minute watching him and four vets getting waxed night after night.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:

#lurkin
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Just lost to the Sixers.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Just lost to the Sixers.

Sixers are 4-1 in the last 5 game, all of which has Nerlens Noel playing 20+ minutes. Okafor is getting DNP-CD's and they're winning.

Noel is nice.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject:

Knicks are a mess. They started off well W-L wse but then imploded. I don't know what happned, but the game against us they looked really good with DRose. Could just be that Melo and Rose are just not players that play winning basketball. Phil Jackson's tenure is looking pretty bad outside of draftng Porzingis and picking up some decent 2nd round picks. Jackson's moves like giving Melo that contract, signing Noah, all have not worked out at all. The only thing I'll say about him is unlike his predecessors Jackson never messed with draft picks. Knicks are where they are because all the guys who were in Phil's spot before traded away their draft picks. New York is going to haver a lottery pick this year. They could have had lottery picks in 2014 and 2016 to work with to surround Porzingis with but they were already traded away

Porzingis hype is legit though. Go look at his numbers vs Dirk's at the same age. I saw highlights of him vs Giannis Antentounmpo and Porzingis played him very very well. Injury aside, he will be a very good player for a long time. If Porzingis were a Laker, I think we'd all be in love with the kid unaninmously. and we really could use a big like that to balance our talent. Just my .02

Yeah but this season and what's unfolding looks very bad for Jackson's resume as an executive. He's signed and traded for too many veteran players that do not have enough in the tank to play defense and offense.

And what the heck was with the DRose situation? Did it ever come out why he just up and left? What a freak show .....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

I really hope KP's Achilles don't become a problem.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
@FisolaNYDN
Carmelo: "If they feel like my time in New York is over I guess that’s a conversation we should have."

Sub-.500 Knicks see bleak future & regret no-trade clause on max contract given to the most overrated superstar of his generation after years of Phil Jackson's mismanagement.

Really wish you could bet on these types of things.

(meant to post this here)
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Who is going to trade for his toxic contract?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ocho wrote:
Just lost to the Sixers.

Sixers are 4-1 in the last 5 game, all of which has Nerlens Noel playing 20+ minutes. Okafor is getting DNP-CD's and they're winning.

Noel is nice.

Sixers are on the rise. Embiid is a beast and Noel is a great backup. I think he could start on another team.

I think Okafor will be traded before the Feb 23 trade deadline. I still want him here.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ocho wrote:
Just lost to the Sixers.

Noel is nice.

Sixers are on the rise. Embiid is a beast and Noel is a great backup. I think he could start on another team.

I think Okafor will be traded before the Feb 23 trade deadline. I still want him here.

He would instantly be our best rim protector according to block/48 =2.32. How sad is that! Black is currently our best at 1.76.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Don't nobody want Carmelo
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Melo ain't goin no where. LaLa likes NY

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Not true in the slightest. Lots of teams would want him. The issue is getting him to waive the NTC and matching his salary.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Sixers are on the rise.

This is a relative term, of course.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
defense wrote:

Melo ain't goin no where. LaLa likes NY

I think the Philly loss finally brought a realization that the Knicks are in basketball purgatory and aren't going anywhere soon with the number of years left in his career. Knicks and Melo might come to the same conclusion but good luck finding a team to be a willing trade partner.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12
Jump to: