Nick Young Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
Houston could use a backup SF that can shoot the 3 so Young could be appealing to them.

Gordon is injury prone so Young can also fill in at backup SG if/when he gets hurt.

I'd love to get a young prospect from them like McDaniels or Dekker in return or at the very least a future 2nd round pick.

Wow, I don't know he has positive trade value. Most likely he, with his contract, has negative value.

I would give the two picks from the Bulls to make it happen. Take it as a three way and the Lakers swap Young(2yr/11M) for Claderon(1yr/7M). Saves money and 2017 cap space. Still a good trade imo.

For the Rockets, or team X, instead of waiting for a maybe/maybe not buyout, they get Young and the picks. Two 2nd rounders can get you as many as 5M cash, so the Rockets, or team X, essentially pays only 2yr/6M for Young. If Mike D likes his experience with Young two years ago, there is a possibility.

gossip

I'm hesitant to dump 2nd rounders after what Mitch has managed to do the past 3 drafts.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
People just can't let this Swaggy/DLO incident go.
Even though both players have.
It's funny.

He conveniently "let it go" right when it was rumored he was going to get cut by the Lakers.

Why would the Lakers leak they want to ditch Young if that's their goal? Guess our FO is showing their knowledge on how to get great trade value.

Jokes aside, our FO doesn't reveal their intentions ahead of time ... normally.
It's counter productive.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
It's funny.

He conveniently "let it go" right when it was rumored he was going to get cut by the Lakers.

Why would the Lakers leak they want to ditch Young if that's their goal? Guess our FO is showing their knowledge on how to get great trade value.

It's counter productive.

You can play him 4 mpg and "improve" his trade value then.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
LaxT wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
Houston could use a backup SF that can shoot the 3 so Young could be appealing to them.

Gordon is injury prone so Young can also fill in at backup SG if/when he gets hurt.

I'd love to get a young prospect from them like McDaniels or Dekker in return or at the very least a future 2nd round pick.

Wow, I don't know he has positive trade value. Most likely he, with his contract, has negative value.

I would give the two picks from the Bulls to make it happen. Take it as a three way and the Lakers swap Young(2yr/11M) for Claderon(1yr/7M). Saves money and 2017 cap space. Still a good trade imo.

For the Rockets, or team X, instead of waiting for a maybe/maybe not buyout, they get Young and the picks. Two 2nd rounders can get you as many as 5M cash, so the Rockets, or team X, essentially pays only 2yr/6M for Young. If Mike D likes his experience with Young two years ago, there is a possibility.

gossip

I'm hesitant to dump 2nd rounders after what Mitch has managed to do the past 3 drafts.

Replace with one pick and cash, and the concept still works.

I dont't really believe the Rockets rumor because they don't have a need at 2/3. My point is, teams are not going to take Young without getting something else.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
It's funny.

It's counter productive.

Or you could play your guy.
What's the name of that dude who warmed the bench for Spain????
Not the towel guy. The guy who looked like a towel guy.
Can't think of his name.

Last edited by kikanga on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Look at us fighting about bench players on a team considered by many to be at the bottom of the league roster wise.

Regular season can't come quick enough.

Last edited by kikanga on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
It's funny.

It's counter productive.

Can't think of his name.

Yes because a PG who netted us 2 2nd rounders and shoots 41% from 3 is the same as a SF.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject:

So, at this point we are most likely keeping young around, right? I'm not filling the situation very closely (other than checking this thread occasionally) but wouldn't they have traded him by now if they intended to?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
It's funny.

It's counter productive.

Can't think of his name.

Yes because a PG who netted us 2 2nd rounders and shoots 41% from 3 is the same as a SF.

Netting 2, 2nd rounders doesn't make you a better bball player.
It makes you a player that needs sweetener just to be traded.

Besides, on the court production isn't why you want Nick gone.
You just want him gone. Right?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
So, at this point we are most likely keeping young around, right? I'm not filling the situation very closely (other than checking this thread occasionally) but wouldn't they have traded him by now if they intended to?

Omar thinks he's a goner. So he's probably a goner IMO.
Omar has a good beat on how our franchise thinks.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:

That is how it looks to me based on the roster. Anthony Brown hasn't shown enough improvement to be getting any real minutes. I think we have to put him in the plan until we get another option, which they are looking for. Just a few minutes here and there and on stand by in case Deng, Ingram, Clarkson, Lou need to take games off. I am expecting Luke to have a pretty deep rotation.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:

They can intend to trade him all they want, but it won't happen until another team wants to trade for him.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject:

we can def use his skillset as long as he's not a distraction. I thought he played well last season in the limited time he got. Byron seemed to really mess with his minutes IMO. If he is still on the team I think he would have to be in the rotation above huertas or Calderon.

Lou
Young
Ingram
Nance
Yi/zubac/black

Might be a formidable lineup coming off of the bench. They def wouldn't have an issue scoring the basketball and would give us an opportunity to play our best 10-12 players every night.

Russell/Lou
Clarkson/young
Ingram/deng
Randle/nance
Mosgov/Yi

I'd actually feel better with with Lou playing PG defensively. In this system, where we don't need a true Pg it may be better for him.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject:

Going to be really interesting to see how this works itself out.

I get why some keep advocating to keep him. Why his on court skills might be helpful. He could fill that bench SG/SF role fairly well with his shooting. And the lack of viable options makes it even more appealing.

With all that being said, Istill think he is gone because of the off-court antics and player chemistry. His Swaggy P drama is a negative. I'm sure he is fun to hang out with until he does or says something stupid that drags down the group.

We have all had that friend. That shake your head , "he did what!" knucklehead. Some of us decided to leave him behind and possibly still tell the "do you remember when..." stories with a smile on our faces. But we grew up. Some of us are old enough to look back a couple decades and still see the same sad knucklehead only he is now 40 or 50 years old with a laundry list of stories and opportunities blown.

Young is who he is. IMO it is time for the Lakers to grow up and be professionals. Adding Mozgov, Deng and Calderon is a great start. Getting rid of Young is the next step.

Hopefully it does not cost them anything. But likely will with a buyout or trade incentive added. Still hoping for that one team (listening HOU) to take him off the Lakers hands.

If the Lakers add a player for the role great.But I am just as comfortable if they decide to just use current roster players to fill the limited mpg that Young is likely to play this year.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
It's funny.

It's counter productive.

Only if there's an alternative.

They've been trying to dump Young for more than a season. No takers. Not for a protected 2nd round pick, not for a half bag of snack size Funyuns, not for a partially chewed stick of gum and a 20% off coupon from Bed Bath and Beyond.

In other words, there's no way to decrease his trade value from where it is, which is zero. A couple months of him not being a jackass off the court isn't going to fool anyone when stacked up against years of evidence to the contrary, just like one season as a decent scorer under D'Antoni isn't going to fool anyone when stacked up against the rest of his career.
HoumanMD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
It's funny.

It's counter productive.

They've been trying to dump Young for more than a season. No takers. Not for a protected 2nd round pick, not for a half bag of snack size Funyuns, not for a partially chewed stick of gum and a 20% off coupon from Bed Bath and Beyond.

In other words, there's no way to decrease his trade value from where it is, which is zero. A couple months of him not being a jackass off the court isn't going to fool anyone when stacked up against years of evidence to the contrary, just like one season as a decent scorer under D'Antoni isn't going to fool anyone when stacked up against the rest of his career.

they will waive him after Sept 30th. if they waive before, roughly 6 million get's stretched, if they waive after and pay him for this year, then roughly only 3 million get's stretched. just makes more financial sence
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
It's funny.

It's counter productive.

Not just decent. But leading scorer for the team.
It fooled us! That's why we gave him that contract.
But I get what you're saying. He has no trade value. I'm sure you guys are right.. We'll release him before the season starts. He's a 2nd/3rd string player on one of the worst teams in the league. So I'm not gonna shed any tears over it. Even though he could be an asset on the court for us.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject:

Yeah, teams already know what Swaggy is on the court, and they sure as hell know what he is off the court.

I think any interested teams (not sure if any) will just wait it out b/c all indications are the Lakers will cut him.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Yeah, teams already know what Swaggy is on the court, and they sure as hell know what he is off the court.

I think any interested teams (not sure if any) will just wait it out b/c all indications are the Lakers will cut him.

I'm embarrassed I got in a heated debate about players like Young and Calderon. Neither player is worth the effort.

Favorite Nick Young blooper :

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm embarrassed I got in a heated debate about players like Young and Calderon. Neither player is worth the effort.

Favorite Nick Young blooper :

Calderon to me is house money. But instead of playing 28mpg as a starter on the Knicks, he'll be playing 10-12 mpg as a reserve. I think he will do much better in that role.

Young? He's what he is. ON/off the court teams know what they're getting with him.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject:

If we do keep him, it should be as a hotdog salesman.
sirronstuff
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Nick is a clown at his own party. Such a waste.

Party on somewhere else Nick
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject:

Longest-Tenured Players By NBA Team

#30. Los Angeles Lakers: Nick Young (free agent), July 2013

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/08/nba-longest-tenured-players-team.html
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
I'm leaning more towards just buying him out over the next 2 years instead of stretching him (if he would agree to offset his salary with the next contract he would get. Vets min would be about 3M for 2 year

2016-2017-5.4M (Full Salary)
2017-2018-2.8M

1. You can't agree not to stretch a contract. That 2.8 would be stretched.

2. If he can get 3 mil, he can just as easily get it after getting paid his full deal. And even if he just gets vet minimum or a deal in China, he's ahead by not giving up his money. His best business play is to not negotiate down.

You sure 24? Pincus talked about the same idea I just said in his last article

"The Lakers can also choose to waive him without stretching his salary, eating up that full $5.7 million for next season (less any money Young might be willing to give up in buyout)."

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-lakers-creative-with-yi-jianlian-contract/
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
I'm leaning more towards just buying him out over the next 2 years instead of stretching him (if he would agree to offset his salary with the next contract he would get. Vets min would be about 3M for 2 year

2016-2017-5.4M (Full Salary)
2017-2018-2.8M

1. You can't agree not to stretch a contract. That 2.8 would be stretched.

2. If he can get 3 mil, he can just as easily get it after getting paid his full deal. And even if he just gets vet minimum or a deal in China, he's ahead by not giving up his money. His best business play is to not negotiate down.

You sure 24? Pincus talked about the same idea I just said in his last article

"The Lakers can also choose to waive him without stretching his salary, eating up that full $5.7 million for next season (less any money Young might be willing to give up in buyout)."

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-lakers-creative-with-yi-jianlian-contract/

They could pay him his entire contract and it would count against the cap.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 29 of 37
Jump to: