Nick Young Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
I'm leaning more towards just buying him out over the next 2 years instead of stretching him (if he would agree to offset his salary with the next contract he would get. Vets min would be about 3M for 2 year

2016-2017-5.4M (Full Salary)
2017-2018-2.8M

1. You can't agree not to stretch a contract. That 2.8 would be stretched.

2. If he can get 3 mil, he can just as easily get it after getting paid his full deal. And even if he just gets vet minimum or a deal in China, he's ahead by not giving up his money. His best business play is to not negotiate down.

You sure 24? Pincus talked about the same idea I just said in his last article

"The Lakers can also choose to waive him without stretching his salary, eating up that full $5.7 million for next season (less any money Young might be willing to give up in buyout)."

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-lakers-creative-with-yi-jianlian-contract/

The payment schedule to the player and the charges against team salary don't necessarily have to synch (match). *

65. What happens when a player is released? What are waivers? What is the Stretch provision?

Quote:

Individually negotiated revisions to the payment schedule are not allowed for contracts signed or extended under the current CBA2. For these contracts or extensions, a waived player's guaranteed salary for the remaining seasons3 is "stretched" and paid in equal amounts over a greater time span, as follows:

If the player is waived from July 1 to August 31, then his remaining salary is paid over twice the number of years remaining on his contract, plus one. For example, if the player is waived on August 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.3 million, respectively, then his remaining salary is paid over five years (two seasons times two, plus one), in even amounts of $4.1 million per year.

If the player is waived from September 1 to June 30, then the current season is paid per the normal payment schedule, and any remaining years are stretched over twice the number of years remaining plus one as described above. For example, if the player is waived on December 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.5 million, respectively, then the current season (at $10.2 million) is paid normally, and the final season (at $10.5 million) is stretched over three years (one season times two, plus one) and paid in even amounts of $3.5 million per year4.

66. How do released or stretched players apply to team salary? What is set-off?

Quote:

If the player's salary payments are spread-out using the Stretch provision, the team may elect to stretch the salary cap charge to match. For example, if two seasons remain on the player's contract when he is waived, and the payment is spread-out over five years per the Stretch provision, then the team may elect to spread-out the salary cap hit over those same five years.

In all other cases (i.e., when the contract or extension was not signed under the current CBA, or when the team elects not to spread-out the cap hit per the Stretch provision), the player's remaining guaranteed salary is included in team salary in the remaining years of the contract, ignoring any revisions to the payment schedule. For example, if a player who signed under the previous CBA is waived with two seasons remaining on his contract and the team & player negotiate a lump-sum payout of the remaining guaranteed salary, the player's salary continues to be included in team salary over the next two seasons.

* For contracts with multiple remaining years.

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject:

Let this marinate on you for a minute:

Nick Young is now our longest tenured player!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Guess that means he's our team captain.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
pio2u wrote:

"D'Angelo, I'm sorry but you're cut"
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
pio2u wrote:

"D'Angelo, I'm sorry but you're cut"

I was laughing about that when I first posted.

"Do what I say, don't do what I do!"

Captain Swag!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject:

The Biggest Dead Weight for Every NBA Team

Quote:
#9 - Nick Young, Los Angeles Lakers
Box Plus/Minus: -4.8
Win Shares: 0.1

When your primary, secondary and tertiary skills on the basketball court are shooting the ball, it's usually best to be at least average at it. Nick Young, however, put together a grotesque shooting season, making 36.3 percent of his two-point shots and 32.5 percent of his threes.

http://basketball-players.pointafter.com/stories/13883/biggest-dead-weight-every-nba-team-markieff-morris-nick-young?utm_medium=cm&utm_source=outbrain&utm_campaign=ao.cm.ob.mb.10791#22-Nick-Young-Los-Angeles-Lakers
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject:

So this guy is gone by Thursday? 9/1
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

Someone here said the cut off date is 9/30, but I'm not sure.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

Doubtful
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject:

Hopefully by Labor Day Weekend, Swaggy will be laboring somewhere else.
HoumanMD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

My typo. It's 8/30
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

http://www.tmz.com/2016/08/30/nbas-nick-young-chris-browns-ruining-our-neighborhood-you-gotta-move/
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject:

HoumanMD wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

My typo. It's 8/30

So then if he's cut we should be hearing something by today, no?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
I'm leaning more towards just buying him out over the next 2 years instead of stretching him (if he would agree to offset his salary with the next contract he would get. Vets min would be about 3M for 2 year

2017-2018-2.8M

2. If he can get 3 mil, he can just as easily get it after getting paid his full deal. And even if he just gets vet minimum or a deal in China, he's ahead by not giving up his money. His best business play is to not negotiate down.

"The Lakers can also choose to waive him without stretching his salary, eating up that full $5.7 million for next season (less any money Young might be willing to give up in buyout)."

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-lakers-creative-with-yi-jianlian-contract/

The payment schedule to the player and the charges against team salary don't necessarily have to synch (match). *

65. What happens when a player is released? What are waivers? What is the Stretch provision?

Quote:

Individually negotiated revisions to the payment schedule are not allowed for contracts signed or extended under the current CBA2. For these contracts or extensions, a waived player's guaranteed salary for the remaining seasons3 is "stretched" and paid in equal amounts over a greater time span, as follows:

If the player is waived from July 1 to August 31, then his remaining salary is paid over twice the number of years remaining on his contract, plus one. For example, if the player is waived on August 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.3 million, respectively, then his remaining salary is paid over five years (two seasons times two, plus one), in even amounts of $4.1 million per year.

If the player is waived from September 1 to June 30, then the current season is paid per the normal payment schedule, and any remaining years are stretched over twice the number of years remaining plus one as described above. For example, if the player is waived on December 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.5 million, respectively, then the current season (at $10.2 million) is paid normally, and the final season (at $10.5 million) is stretched over three years (one season times two, plus one) and paid in even amounts of $3.5 million per year4.

Quote:

If the player's salary payments are spread-out using the Stretch provision, the team may elect to stretch the salary cap charge to match. For example, if two seasons remain on the player's contract when he is waived, and the payment is spread-out over five years per the Stretch provision, then the team may elect to spread-out the salary cap hit over those same five years.

In all other cases (i.e., when the contract or extension was not signed under the current CBA, or when the team elects not to spread-out the cap hit per the Stretch provision), the player's remaining guaranteed salary is included in team salary in the remaining years of the contract, ignoring any revisions to the payment schedule. For example, if a player who signed under the previous CBA is waived with two seasons remaining on his contract and the team & player negotiate a lump-sum payout of the remaining guaranteed salary, the player's salary continues to be included in team salary over the next two seasons.

Thanks for the info!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Swaggy-P: Tomorrow my 6th annual back to school giveaway for the youth .... Fun, food and school supplies 4pm to 6pm at Robertson Park .... 1641 press rd. LA, CA. 90034 Robertson Park

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJwH8ziDNTA/
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Swaggy-P: Tomorrow my 6th annual back to school giveaway for the youth .... Fun, food and school supplies 4pm to 6pm at Robertson Park .... 1641 press rd. LA, CA. 90034 Robertson Park

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJwH8ziDNTA/

Very cool of Young. He's always had a soft heart no matter what people think about him.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

That's not a deadline.

The only significance of 9/1 is that it marks the start of a new season contractually.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

2017-2018-2.8M

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, my bad, I mixed that up with something else...
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/09/01/lakers-let-stretch-deadline-pass-on-nick-young/

A good article breaking down the various options we have when it comes to Nick Young and his contract. Most of us here already know this, but it's cool to read any Lakers news in the dead of summer.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Is there a limit on how often a team can use the stretch provision?
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Swaggy deserves a shot with Walton. He can flourish in the right system as long as his head is right
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/09/01/lakers-let-stretch-deadline-pass-on-nick-young/

A good article breaking down the various options we have when it comes to Nick Young and his contract. Most of us here already know this, but it's cool to read any Lakers news in the dead of summer.

Chump change .
We are the most profitable team in the league. With a 20-year television deal with Time Warner Cable worth $3.6 billion.
5 mill a year (for two years) is small when the cap is heading north of 100 mill a year.
I get why any owner wouldn't want to waive a player and still have to pay for him.
But Nick's salary isn't a high cost to pay if we really want him gone by FA.

Last edited by kikanga on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject:

15 wrote:
Swaggy deserves a shot with Walton. He can flourish in the right system as long as his head is right

If the Lakers are trying hard to move on from the honeymoon -- then what does that say about how bad Young screwed up? Honestly if there is one thing the Lakers do, is they let you figure out mistakes and see if you can resolve them, so far it looks like the Lakers have no hope for Young despite the fact that Young has done his part in helping the LA community and also being a bright spot in the 2014 season.

If the Lakers are trying to move on, we as fans should follow suit.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Publicly try to trade him while privately try to bring him into the fold.
The Lakers have leverage but Nick must comply or be gone.

If he is traded, it is interesting to consider the possibilities of tying Nick to Yi whose accelerating contract acts as financial penalties for trading partners who wait, the timing of which is controlled by the Lakers based on games played.

Regardless, Swaggy will be gone, and I doubt Nick will let go in time to save himself.

Pity.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Publicly try to trade him while privately try to bring him into the fold.
The Lakers have leverage but Nick must comply or be gone.

If he is traded, it is interesting to consider the possibilities of tying Nick to Yi whose accelerating contract acts as financial penalties for trading partners who wait, the timing of which is controlled by the Lakers based on games played.

Regardless, Swaggy will be gone, and I doubt Nick will let go in time to save himself.

Pity.

Would it not reflect poorly on the Lakers to sign Yi just to turn around and trade him immediately?
Or maybe just a cost of doing business?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 30 of 37
Jump to: