Should the Lakers Trade for Westbrook? (Westbrook to Sign Contract Extension, p.66)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 68, 69, 70  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we trade for Westbrook?
Yes. Can't pass him up and assume he comes.
19%
 19%  [ 91 ]
No. Free agent in 2018.
80%
 80%  [ 373 ]
Total Votes : 464

pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Why would we care if it were luck or skill? Either way the team is looking to be moving in the right direction. Of course we could have been lucky and unskilled and drafted someone like Okafor and/or Jaylen Brown, neither who I think will come close to touching Russell and Ingram.

Why should we care? Isn't that answer obvious?

Okafor was first team all rookie, Russell wasn't so time will tell on that. As far as Jaylen Brown, I have no idea what you are babbling about or why you are even bringing him up.

Face the facts, the team as constructed by Mitch has been atrocious the last three seasons and he was very fortunate to even get the reward for the dismal teams he put together and told us were playoff teams.

I see you have Kobe as your avatar. You genuinely thought when the Lakers committed to keeping him and not Dwayne Wade-ing him ala Pat Riley, that they were going to be playoff contenders?

FWIW...from 10/19/14

LakerLanny wrote:
A better move would be to wait and completely bottom out, nothing is going to happen until Kobe's contract is off the books and he either retires or comes back at a much lower price.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=5988271&highlight=#5988271

Somewhere along the way your boy got retroactively impatient/disgusted with Mitch's roster construction.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
2019 wrote:
the good news in all this is that we actually have the pieces/ability to trade for a top 3 player in the NBA.

Stark contrast from just 2-3 years ago.

27, 21, 17 and they had to dodge ping pong balls to boot.

Don't mistake being a horrific team and then getting lucky for skill.

I always say coaches are overrated because they get too much credit, and too much blame. I'd like to add management to that. A flip of the coin by fate decided that the Lakers will be the team of the 80's, thus, cemented their brand. Honestly, without Magic, there would probably be no Shaq. Pat Riley and Jerry West's careers wouldn't have been launched either. LUCK decides so much about a franchise that really it's a joke to argue it if you really truly sit down and think about it. The Jerrys in Chicago said management build championship teams, not players. Remember that? What did their organization win before MJ? What has their organization won after MJ? And how did they get MJ? Two teams passed him up, and he fell on their laps.

I don't care how the Lakers have gotten here, just like how I don't care how they got Magic and Worthy. Bottom line is that they're here, and if it's by luck, so be it. This isn't the first time the lakers have gotten lucky. Just as long as they know what they have and don't trade it away like idiots then I'm happy. I have this attitude because I've never ever subscribed to the genius of management or coaches. I've always known that it's pure luck how a franchise is MADE.

BTW, while we're somewhat on topic.. Is Magic Johnson freaking unbelievable or what? The guy catapulted the Lakers franchise in the 80's, and so many individual careers, delivered 5 chips, beat the crap out of HIV, and proceeded to win in the business world as well. I don't think Laker fans who ridicule him really give it much thought to what this guy has meant to the Lakers, and how awesome he is.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
LUCK decides so much about a franchise that really it's a joke to argue it if you really truly sit down and think about it. The Jerrys in Chicago said management build championship teams, not players. Remember that? What did their organization win before MJ? What has their organization won after MJ? And how did they get MJ? Two teams passed him up, and he fell on their laps.

I mean I get your point, but "how did they get MJ" - because other teams passed on them. That's management, not luck
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Why would we care if it were luck or skill? Either way the team is looking to be moving in the right direction. Of course we could have been lucky and unskilled and drafted someone like Okafor and/or Jaylen Brown, neither who I think will come close to touching Russell and Ingram.

Okafor was first team all rookie, Russell wasn't so time will tell on that. As far as Jaylen Brown, I have no idea what you are babbling about or why you are even bringing him up.

Face the facts, the team as constructed by Mitch has been atrocious the last three seasons and he was very fortunate to even get the reward for the dismal teams he put together and told us were playoff teams.

lol......

Had the Lakers drafted him, how long do you think Okafor would've lasted in Byron's starting lineup? Russell would've been contending for ROY if he had ended up in Philly.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Neither did Giannis or Paul George but time will tell on that.

Media members vote on that recognition. Time doesn't have to tell you that the media generally sucks
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject:

dood23 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Neither did Giannis or Paul George but time will tell on that.

Media members vote on that recognition. Time doesn't have to tell you that the media generally sucks

Don't forget about that kid we drafted in 96. He sure turned out horrible for someone who made 2nd team as a rookie.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I see you have Kobe as your avatar. You genuinely thought when the Lakers committed to keeping him and not Dwayne Wade-ing him ala Pat Riley, that they were going to be playoff contenders?

FWIW...from 10/19/14

LakerLanny wrote:
A better move would be to wait and completely bottom out, nothing is going to happen until Kobe's contract is off the books and he either retires or comes back at a much lower price.

Somewhere along the way your boy got retroactively impatient/disgusted with Mitch's roster construction.

Ouch, receipt.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject:

Realistic Steps the Lakers Can Take to Land Russell Westbrook

Quote:
The rationale remains, why trade your young players for Westbrook, who mind you is only 27, without a guarantee of him re-signing and waste his prime waiting for the super teams to slowly dismantle, especially when you can sign him in free agency next season? The answer is simple, you don’t.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2016/07/27/lakers-russell-westbrook-trade-rumors-what-la-should-do-to-land-westbrook-oklahoma-city-thunder-kevin-durant/
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

lol......

Had the Lakers drafted him, how long do you think Okafor would've lasted in Byron's starting lineup? Russell would've been contending for ROY if he had ended up in Philly.

Last season our starting center was Roy while Russell was fighting for a position with Lou, so it's about Lou vs Roy. Who you replace?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject:

So listened to a long podcast with Royce Young + Danny Leroux re: OKC.

Seems OKC's goal is to offer the extension, which would probably give WB to hit FA again once he hits the 10+ years experience tier and cash out to something like a $200m+ deal. If he takes it, good; if not, then he's basically telling them that he is unlikely to re-sign there b/c the $ difference isn't substantial enough.

I think WB won't extend, but the trade market may be less than generous for WB b/c he won't extend anywhere he goes, and the price for getting him will be too pyrrhic.

As for the Lakers, I doubt we make a play for him. When we traded for Howard/Nash, we were playoff contenders and it made sense to go for the jugular.

Get WB, emptying out one of DLO/Ingram + other assets makes no sense b/c it won't guarantee us a playoff spot in 2016-17. Signing him as a FA in 2017 is a risk, but we'd have a much better future outlook with him AND our young core.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Judah wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

lol......

Last season our starting center was Roy while Russell was fighting for a position with Lou, so it's about Lou vs Roy. Who you replace?

But how likely is it that they would've even traded for Roy if they had drafted Okafor? Hibbert was just their big man Plan C- after they struck out in free agency. But even in the unlikely event that they STILL would've traded for him, even after drafting Okafor, it would've been the same pathetic narrative situationally that Russell was in under Byron.

Okafor would've been scapegoated with all of the young players for the team's failures and gotten yanked from the starting lineup in mid December for Hibbert. And even if Hibbert had played dramatically worse than Okafor, his vet card would've made Byron feel a lot more comfortable about his suckage, even with the team boasting a 2-34 record, Okafor's minutes being hacked to pieces, and the season going absolutely nowhere.

The point is that it's a shallow argument to imply Okafor is a better overall player than Russell or that he had a better season just because he was first team all rookie and Russell wasn't. I'm very convinced that Okafor's rookie season would've been an utter train wreck under Byron, while Russell would've had a substantially better chance to show what he's capable of if he had been in Philly.

SN: Not trying to hijack this thread into another Okafor vs Russell debate. I just couldn't let Lanny's statement pass.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
LUCK decides so much about a franchise that really it's a joke to argue it if you really truly sit down and think about it. The Jerrys in Chicago said management build championship teams, not players. Remember that? What did their organization win before MJ? What has their organization won after MJ? And how did they get MJ? Two teams passed him up, and he fell on their laps.

I mean I get your point, but "how did they get MJ" - because other teams passed on them. That's management, not luck

That's still a little luck involved because he turned out to be the GOAT. If you knew that, you would take him first. Who knows what name was #1 on Chicago's draft board. He was there for them at 3, but credit to them for not passing him up at 3. Their franchise does not stand out pre or post MJ era. They are on a 20 yr drought since MJ, and nobody gives them any flack. We're on a 6 year drought and even a portion of our own fanbase subscribe to the ideal tha our management haven't a clue what they're doing. What does that say about Chicago and the plethora of teams that have won squat? There must be a bunch of idiots running NBA franchises. Or maybe, just maybe fans and media overrate management. There is really no science to this thing. Well, let me rephrase that and give them some credit.. there is very "little" science running a franchise.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Can you people relax & stop this nonsense!

We just got rid of one ball hog (Kobe) & you want another in WB, geez! He is not the answer at age 29 & just a hindrance for team play & unity. Harden would be worst, but a Paul George type team guy would be great.

Laker management needs to allow these young kids to play together for two years & then decide who to sign or trade for if things don't work out, gotta give Luke a chance to gel this team of young guys...

Who knows in a few years when we improve a certain center from Minnesota may want to join forces when he's a free agent & move to LA? That would be quite a line up & eventually a expensive one at that...
HC: Riley
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject:

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
Can you people relax & stop this nonsense!

We just got rid of one ball hog (Kobe) & you want another in WB, geez! He is not the answer at age 29 & just a hindrance for team play & unity. Harden would be worst, but a Paul George type team guy would be great.

Laker management needs to allow these young kids to play together for two years & then decide who to sign or trade for if things don't work out, gotta give Luke a chance to gel this team of young guys...

Who knows in a few years when we improve a certain center from Minnesota may want to join forces when he's a free agent & move to LA? That would be quite a line up & eventually a expensive one at that...

It will be 7 to 8 years. a
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So listened to a long podcast with Royce Young + Danny Leroux re: OKC.

Seems OKC's goal is to offer the extension, which would probably give WB to hit FA again once he hits the 10+ years experience tier and cash out to something like a $200m+ deal. If he takes it, good; if not, then he's basically telling them that he is unlikely to re-sign there b/c the $ difference isn't substantial enough.

I think WB won't extend, but the trade market may be less than generous for WB b/c he won't extend anywhere he goes, and the price for getting him will be too pyrrhic.

As for the Lakers, I doubt we make a play for him. When we traded for Howard/Nash, we were playoff contenders and it made sense to go for the jugular.

Get WB, emptying out one of DLO/Ingram + other assets makes no sense b/c it won't guarantee us a playoff spot in 2016-17. Signing him as a FA in 2017 is a risk, but we'd have a much better future outlook with him AND our young core.

Thanks Yinomes. No DLO/Ingram in any RW talks. I can throw in Randle and see. take it or leave it

would be Awesome : RW, DR, Ingram,nance,zubac
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

FWIW...from 10/19/14

LakerLanny wrote:

That's quite the receipt.

So we bottom out, add Randle, Clarkson, Russell, Nance, Ingram, & Zubac, and somehow the FO still screwed up.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject:

Take a look at some of the other names folks were asking for in that thread. They might look familiar.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

So we bottom out, add Randle, Clarkson, Russell, Nance, Ingram, & Zubac, and somehow the FO still screwed up.

GT, when you talk like that...I get all excited as if I was a 14 year old LG poster asking you what a slip screen is? Can you break it down on video for us?

Is it honestly your contention that lucking into draft picks while overestimating your own team and botching the draft protection is the sign of a forward thinking front office?

Really?

Stick to the Video Room....
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

GT, when you talk like that...I get all excited as if I was a 14 year old LG poster asking you what a slip screen is? Can you break it down on video for us?

Is it honestly your contention that lucking into draft picks while overestimating your own team and botching the draft protection is the sign of a forward thinking front office?

Really?

If you're going to denigrate the analysis of others, perhaps a starting point would be providing a bit yourself beyond the refs are crooked, Jim and Mitch sucks, and hey, check out my complete lack of hoops knowledge?
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject:

twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Really?

I like the fact that you attacked a poster while completely ignoring the massive receipt another poster just called you out for. Real life Faker
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject:

A forward-thinking front office would do pretty much what the Lakers did: gather assets and put yourself in a position to be competitive long-term, with the option to convert those assets to a shorter-term picture with a more competitive outlook.

Instead they should have tried to surround (an injured) Kobe with a more "competitive" team for the remote chance of watching them get embarrassed in Round 1? With the greater likelihood they simply drop out of their lotto protection range and hand over their picks? That's a "forward-thinking" front office?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Receipts don't lie. (Rasheed Wallace voice).
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Really?

What a disappointing response.
Why in the world would you pick a fight with someone dedicating to dropping knowledge, and then insult him for it?
That really sucks.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
A forward-thinking front office would do pretty much what the Lakers did: gather assets and put yourself in a position to be competitive long-term, with the option to convert those assets to a shorter-term picture with a more competitive outlook.

Instead they should have tried to surround (an injured) Kobe with a more "competitive" team for the remote chance of watching them get embarrassed in Round 1? With the greater likelihood they simply drop out of their lotto protection range and hand over their picks? That's a "forward-thinking" front office?

What the Lakers have gone through in recent seasons is something that the Players (Kobe mostly), FO, owners, fanbase, media etc are not accustomed to seeing from them.

So a mix of frustration, angst, anger, puzzlement etc from some is a reasonable expectation.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 63 of 70
Jump to: