Should the Lakers Trade for Westbrook? (Westbrook to Sign Contract Extension, p.66)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 68, 69, 70  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we trade for Westbrook?
Yes. Can't pass him up and assume he comes.
19%
 19%  [ 91 ]
No. Free agent in 2018.
80%
 80%  [ 373 ]
Total Votes : 464

Author Message
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jul 2002
Posts: 5904
Location: searching for the mojo of Dr. Buss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject:

It might be too late by then. I really see DLO, Clarkson and Ingram coming into their own.... If you already have AS level players at a position, no need to trade for one.

Honestly, I was a afraid we'd overpay to trade for Westbrook. That fear is gone. Now I hope we don't overpay for Cousins lol.
_________________
"He may say it's not you, it's him.... but it's really you."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Boldarblood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 268

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Can't wait for Cookies & Cream's 10 page thesis on why we should now trade for Westbrook because he's locked up for another year.


I just laughed out loud!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 11364

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject:

If Clarkson still hasn't worked on his defense by 2018-2019 it wouldn't shock me for them to go after Westbrook to replace him. It's ultimately in Clarkson's hands at this point. But unless he becomes a lockdown defender or at least a decent defender within the next 2 seasons I Don't see them valuing him as a starter OVER Westbrook.

And as far as Cousins goes, Cousins as a piece that takes you over the top? Yes. Cousins as your only piece and face of the franchise you're building around? No. And if we landed Cousins in free agency, the role he'd get would likely wind up being the first.

He'd likely be sold on the idea that he's coming in as the 2nd choice, but he'd be essentially the piece putting us over the top. Adding Westbrook to that would pretty much seal that the Lakers will go on a run at least for the next 3-4 years and at that point it's up to when Russell, Ingram and Randle truly come into their owns.

IF the Lakers can make themselves a playoff team looking on the rise within the next 2 seasons they have a chance to sign them both.

However it also depends what Westbrook has left in the tank at 30 after the next 2 seasons of carrying OKC. He may not BE the Westbrook he is now.

On the other hand, that works in our favor as the talent of Russell, Ingram, Randle and Clarkson potentially as a 6th may, we could REALLY sell lightening the load on his shoulders and thus helping him be more efficient. Add Cousins to the mix and we know we SHOULD contend for a championship or at least prime ourselves to be in position to knock Golden State off.

Just depends on what WE Make ourselves in the next 2 seasons, and we MUST Be a playoff team that looks on the rise if we want a chance at either of them, or we won't get another sitdown, again.

Note: Playing the advocate for that scenario, but thats essentially what would have to happen.


And no, Zubac likely isn't a primary starting center by his 3rd year. It takes most bigs 4-6 seasons before they really start turning the corner. Unless they are 'special'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2005
Posts: 14258
Location: unfortunately not Los Angeles anymore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Marc Gasol didn't come into the league until he was around 23.. and still then only averaged 11 and 7 boards. the very next year, he played really well averaging 14 and 9. but that was as a 24 year old with a ton of international experience.

Zubac will probably see similar numbers (11 and 7) by his 3rd year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 25951

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:11 am    Post subject:

Russell Westbrook, Thunder Reportedly Agree to New Contract: Details, Reaction

Quote:
The Vertical's Adrian Wojnarowski confirmed the news and reported the Thunder "will likely hold a news conference on Thursday with Westbrook, owner Clay Bennett, GM Sam Presti and coach Billy Donovan."

Earlier Wednesday, Wojnarowski reported the two sides were nearing an agreement on a three-year, $85 million contract renegotiation that will pay the point guard $26.5 million next season and $28.5 million during the 2017-18 campaign. Both Shelburne and Wojnarowski reported the third year will serve as a player option.

According to Wojnarowski, Westbrook could earn $30.6 million in 2018-19 if he doesn't opt out of his deal and test the open market.


http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2650302-russell-westbrook-thunder-agree-to-new-contract-latest-details-reaction
_________________
www.trendydeckpost.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakerhaterhater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 03 May 2016
Posts: 402

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject:

This is for our own good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Math
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Mar 2015
Posts: 1222

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject:

Not surprised. KD leaving set things up perfectly for him to be the loyal savior. He likes being the hero.

Onward!
_________________
I'm a Balliever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Jun 2013
Posts: 11333

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
If Westbrook does stay who should be our top target next summer?
They'll go after Blake Griffin but so will other teams. The young players we have need to improve for any big time free agent to come here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 81006

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject:

So much for that.

My LA kids trope is dying fast.

DRoz-nope
WB-nope
George-
_________________
2 Max Scenarios:

-JC out for $0/Deng stretched = 57.6m in 2018 cap space
-Same as above and Jules renounced/traded for $0 = 69.9m in 2018 cap space

2 of 4 of these players will be Lakers in 2018 (LBJ/PG13/WB/Boogie)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Jun 2013
Posts: 11333

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject:

I know it's two years from now but I don't see George coming here either. DeRozan was a Kobe stan and he didn't even take a visit. It's all about the young players we have.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 81006

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
I know it's two years from now but I don't see George coming here either. DeRozan was a Kobe stan and he didn't even take a visit. It's all about the young players we have.


In 2 years DLO/Ingram will be on rookie deals and scratching an all-star level game. JC/Randle/Nance/Zubac (if they're here) will be starter level players.

Let's not confuse now with 2 full seasons of growth. Lakers will be a much more attractive destination then.
_________________
2 Max Scenarios:

-JC out for $0/Deng stretched = 57.6m in 2018 cap space
-Same as above and Jules renounced/traded for $0 = 69.9m in 2018 cap space

2 of 4 of these players will be Lakers in 2018 (LBJ/PG13/WB/Boogie)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
shoulder doc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Jul 2014
Posts: 124

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject:

This is actually a very wise business decision for Westbrook. This is not a long-term extension. It's a player option for 2018-19. In exchange for a guaranteeing Thunder one more year they gave him 67 million guaranteed. That's a ton of money for the price of just one more year. If anything ironically this actually increases the Lakers chance of getting him because in two years perhaps the kids will have developed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 81006

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject:

shoulder doc wrote:
This is actually a very wise business decision for Westbrook. This is not a long-term extension. It's a player option for 2018-19. In exchange for a guaranteeing Thunder one more year they gave him 67 million guaranteed. That's a ton of money for the price of just one more year. If anything ironically this actually increases the Lakers chance of getting him because in two years perhaps the kids will have developed.


True. But it also puts him in a group with guys like Boogie/George, who I actually would like better on the Lakers at that point.
_________________
2 Max Scenarios:

-JC out for $0/Deng stretched = 57.6m in 2018 cap space
-Same as above and Jules renounced/traded for $0 = 69.9m in 2018 cap space

2 of 4 of these players will be Lakers in 2018 (LBJ/PG13/WB/Boogie)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Jun 2013
Posts: 11333

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
I know it's two years from now but I don't see George coming here either. DeRozan was a Kobe stan and he didn't even take a visit. It's all about the young players we have.


In 2 years DLO/Ingram will be on rookie deals and scratching an all-star level game. JC/Randle/Nance/Zubac (if they're here) will be starter level players.

Let's not confuse now with 2 full seasons of growth. Lakers will be a much more attractive destination then.
None os us know which players will be all stars or starters. Again, you're putting a cap on their potential.

We will be much better in 2 years but that still doesn't mean that star free agents will come. Some players don't won't to come home or follow the legacy of Kobe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 81006

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
I know it's two years from now but I don't see George coming here either. DeRozan was a Kobe stan and he didn't even take a visit. It's all about the young players we have.


In 2 years DLO/Ingram will be on rookie deals and scratching an all-star level game. JC/Randle/Nance/Zubac (if they're here) will be starter level players.

Let's not confuse now with 2 full seasons of growth. Lakers will be a much more attractive destination then.
None os us know which players will be all stars or starters. Again, you're putting a cap on their potential.

We will be much better in 2 years but that still doesn't mean that star free agents will come. Some players don't won't to come home or follow the legacy of Kobe.


LOL. Not getting into that.

Kobe will be 3 years retired by then. Someone will have picked up the mantle by then.
_________________
2 Max Scenarios:

-JC out for $0/Deng stretched = 57.6m in 2018 cap space
-Same as above and Jules renounced/traded for $0 = 69.9m in 2018 cap space

2 of 4 of these players will be Lakers in 2018 (LBJ/PG13/WB/Boogie)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
shoulder doc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Jul 2014
Posts: 124

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
shoulder doc wrote:
This is actually a very wise business decision for Westbrook. This is not a long-term extension. It's a player option for 2018-19. In exchange for a guaranteeing Thunder one more year they gave him 67 million guaranteed. That's a ton of money for the price of just one more year. If anything ironically this actually increases the Lakers chance of getting him because in two years perhaps the kids will have developed.


True. But it also puts him in a group with guys like Boogie/George, who I actually would like better on the Lakers at that point.


Good point. 67 million Dollar insurance policy heaven forbid he gets injured, can get a new Supermax contract in 2018 for being 10 years in the league, give the Lakers two years to develop the kids, and be in a free-agent class with George and Boogie for the price of committing one more year in OKC. Great deal for Westbrook.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 81006

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject:

shoulder doc wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
shoulder doc wrote:
This is actually a very wise business decision for Westbrook. This is not a long-term extension. It's a player option for 2018-19. In exchange for a guaranteeing Thunder one more year they gave him 67 million guaranteed. That's a ton of money for the price of just one more year. If anything ironically this actually increases the Lakers chance of getting him because in two years perhaps the kids will have developed.


True. But it also puts him in a group with guys like Boogie/George, who I actually would like better on the Lakers at that point.


Good point. 67 million Dollar insurance policy heaven forbid he gets injured, can get a new Supermax contract in 2018 for being 10 years in the league, give the Lakers two years to develop the kids, and be in a free-agent class with George and Boogie for the price of committing one more year in OKC. Great deal for Westbrook.


WB for me is like the prized running back who has a finite amount of carries in his body before it declines steeply.

By 2018 (and at that Tier 3, 10+ year service price), I'm looking at a cheaper Paul George or Boogie. It's not inconceivable by that time DLO/Ingram will look like borderline all stars. I think George or Boogie fits in better at that point.
_________________
2 Max Scenarios:

-JC out for $0/Deng stretched = 57.6m in 2018 cap space
-Same as above and Jules renounced/traded for $0 = 69.9m in 2018 cap space

2 of 4 of these players will be Lakers in 2018 (LBJ/PG13/WB/Boogie)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
shoulder doc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 07 Jul 2014
Posts: 124

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
shoulder doc wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
shoulder doc wrote:
This is actually a very wise business decision for Westbrook. This is not a long-term extension. It's a player option for 2018-19. In exchange for a guaranteeing Thunder one more year they gave him 67 million guaranteed. That's a ton of money for the price of just one more year. If anything ironically this actually increases the Lakers chance of getting him because in two years perhaps the kids will have developed.


True. But it also puts him in a group with guys like Boogie/George, who I actually would like better on the Lakers at that point.


Good point. 67 million Dollar insurance policy heaven forbid he gets injured, can get a new Supermax contract in 2018 for being 10 years in the league, give the Lakers two years to develop the kids, and be in a free-agent class with George and Boogie for the price of committing one more year in OKC. Great deal for Westbrook.


WB for me is like the prized running back who has a finite amount of carries in his body before it declines steeply.

By 2018 (and at that Tier 3, 10+ year service price), I'm looking at a cheaper Paul George or Boogie. It's not inconceivable by that time DLO/Ingram will look like borderline all stars. I think George or Boogie fits in better at that point.


Westbrook is an athletic freak the likes of which we have not seen. It is a logical concerned that he will hit the wall at some point and decline rapidly. I don't have his medical chart but he shows no signs of that and he did have three knee surgeries. Even though it was just a meniscal injury and not something worse like a multi ligament problem I expected there to be some signs of decline after three operations but I see none at this point. Perhaps he is just one of those rare athletes who is athleticism remains for a long time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 81006

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject:

shoulder doc wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
shoulder doc wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
shoulder doc wrote:
This is actually a very wise business decision for Westbrook. This is not a long-term extension. It's a player option for 2018-19. In exchange for a guaranteeing Thunder one more year they gave him 67 million guaranteed. That's a ton of money for the price of just one more year. If anything ironically this actually increases the Lakers chance of getting him because in two years perhaps the kids will have developed.


True. But it also puts him in a group with guys like Boogie/George, who I actually would like better on the Lakers at that point.


Good point. 67 million Dollar insurance policy heaven forbid he gets injured, can get a new Supermax contract in 2018 for being 10 years in the league, give the Lakers two years to develop the kids, and be in a free-agent class with George and Boogie for the price of committing one more year in OKC. Great deal for Westbrook.


WB for me is like the prized running back who has a finite amount of carries in his body before it declines steeply.

By 2018 (and at that Tier 3, 10+ year service price), I'm looking at a cheaper Paul George or Boogie. It's not inconceivable by that time DLO/Ingram will look like borderline all stars. I think George or Boogie fits in better at that point.


Westbrook is an athletic freak the likes of which we have not seen. It is a logical concerned that he will hit the wall at some point and decline rapidly. I don't have his medical chart but he shows no signs of that and he did have three knee surgeries. Even though it was just a meniscal injury and not something worse like a multi ligament problem I expected there to be some signs of decline after three operations but I see none at this point. Perhaps he is just one of those rare athletes who is athleticism remains for a long time.


I can't think of many 6'2, 6'3 guys who had such an explosive athletic game as a guard aging well. He's like a mini Lebron, except he doesn't have the 6'9, 260 pound frame when his athleticism wanes.

I actually enjoy clarity and it's nice to now be able to focus on our young guys and perhaps instead of chasing max guys in 2017, use that cap space wisely.
_________________
2 Max Scenarios:

-JC out for $0/Deng stretched = 57.6m in 2018 cap space
-Same as above and Jules renounced/traded for $0 = 69.9m in 2018 cap space

2 of 4 of these players will be Lakers in 2018 (LBJ/PG13/WB/Boogie)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 81006

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject:

And by no means am I trying to denigrate WB. He's spectacular. But he's not a Laker, and it seems our paths will never cross. So best of luck to him as our boys try to take him down.
_________________
2 Max Scenarios:

-JC out for $0/Deng stretched = 57.6m in 2018 cap space
-Same as above and Jules renounced/traded for $0 = 69.9m in 2018 cap space

2 of 4 of these players will be Lakers in 2018 (LBJ/PG13/WB/Boogie)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 2795

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject:

Omgoodness we're being forced to build our team the old fashion way. We, at least I, have been accustomed to "BREAKING NEWS the Lakers have acquired"...stuff.

I've been spoiled so much, but it's definitely easier to trust the process with the kids (particularly Russell, Ingram, Zubac & Nance Jr, everyone else might be moved for better fitting pieces) we now have in tow.

A big man like Zubac, who was not expected to be there so late, and is so damn skilled already, is one of the main reasons I am truly optimistic about our future with or without the current Alphas.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 41320

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject:

So now that he can't leave next summer....should we trade for Westbrook?
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 81006

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
So now that he can't leave next summer....should we trade for Westbrook?


IIRC he can't be traded for 6 months. So he can theoretically be put on the trade block in Feb. 2017.
_________________
2 Max Scenarios:

-JC out for $0/Deng stretched = 57.6m in 2018 cap space
-Same as above and Jules renounced/traded for $0 = 69.9m in 2018 cap space

2 of 4 of these players will be Lakers in 2018 (LBJ/PG13/WB/Boogie)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 4163

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
shoulder doc wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
shoulder doc wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
shoulder doc wrote:
This is actually a very wise business decision for Westbrook. This is not a long-term extension. It's a player option for 2018-19. In exchange for a guaranteeing Thunder one more year they gave him 67 million guaranteed. That's a ton of money for the price of just one more year. If anything ironically this actually increases the Lakers chance of getting him because in two years perhaps the kids will have developed.


True. But it also puts him in a group with guys like Boogie/George, who I actually would like better on the Lakers at that point.


Good point. 67 million Dollar insurance policy heaven forbid he gets injured, can get a new Supermax contract in 2018 for being 10 years in the league, give the Lakers two years to develop the kids, and be in a free-agent class with George and Boogie for the price of committing one more year in OKC. Great deal for Westbrook.


WB for me is like the prized running back who has a finite amount of carries in his body before it declines steeply.

By 2018 (and at that Tier 3, 10+ year service price), I'm looking at a cheaper Paul George or Boogie. It's not inconceivable by that time DLO/Ingram will look like borderline all stars. I think George or Boogie fits in better at that point.


Westbrook is an athletic freak the likes of which we have not seen. It is a logical concerned that he will hit the wall at some point and decline rapidly. I don't have his medical chart but he shows no signs of that and he did have three knee surgeries. Even though it was just a meniscal injury and not something worse like a multi ligament problem I expected there to be some signs of decline after three operations but I see none at this point. Perhaps he is just one of those rare athletes who is athleticism remains for a long time.


I can't think of many 6'2, 6'3 guys who had such an explosive athletic game as a guard aging well. He's like a mini Lebron, except he doesn't have the 6'9, 260 pound frame when his athleticism wanes.

I actually enjoy clarity and it's nice to now be able to focus on our young guys and perhaps instead of chasing max guys in 2017, use that cap space wisely.


Westy's always made me think he's the modern version of Fat Lever, Gus Williams and Lucius Allen. Explosive in terms of strength, in terms of speed, decent jumper, and someone who gets off the floor quickly with unusual height. What distinguished Westbrook - to me - is his having such unusual length for his height. Makes him a devastating driver of the ball.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 14968

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject:

K Love -
DRoz -
Westbrook -

Glad this one ended quickly its become nauseating hearing players want to "come home" and play for us lol

And I know this wont stop some from wanting Paul George, but dude actually grew up a dipper fan.

Just let the youngins get a shot at this fam Once we're good everyone will want to come here
_________________
Blake Griffin's ankles beware....Randle is coming
The youngins are YOUNG, let them learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 69 of 70
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB