Kevin Durant will join the Golden State Warriors (Official)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

In 1981, reigning MVP Moses Malone left the Rockets for the 76ers which had the MVP from the year before, Dr. J., and had just gotten to the finals.

Superstars have been using free agency and forcing trades to get to better teams for nearly half a century.

There isn't anything new about what Durant and Lebron are doing. The big difference is that we fans can now see behind the curtain

It won't be an issue if Durant going to GS turns out the way Moses' tenure with Philly went. They petered out after their first season, in Year 2 lost in the 1st round to the New Jersey Nets losing all 3 home gms. That was it for them. This move here has the earmarks of a much more stable situation. I don't see a perfect comparison. Philly couldn't win for nothin before he went there and they had that single perfect season. GS has already won their first without Durant, they got the all time RS record and lost a close Gm 7 of the Finals. They don't even need his arse to win a 2nd title like Philly needed Moses.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
jodeke wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I guess the reason there's so much hate for LeBron is because of the way he left Cleveland.

Why not give the man credit? He's been to 6 straight finals. On a team that came back from a 3 1 deficit to win a place in the finals, a first. Went home, brought a championship to a city that hadn't won one since 1964. Won 3 ships.

Say what you will about him but where he goes championships follow. If he hadn't gone to Miami would they have won 2 ships ? If he hadn't gone back to Cleveland would they have won a ship? How many in the forum would not like him to come here?

You can count on one hand players who spent their entire careers with one team. (1) John Stockton (2) Reggie Miller (3) Kobe Bryant (4) *Dirk Nowitzki (5) *Tim Duncan

LeBron's sidekicks in Cleveland were Anderson Varajeo, Mo Williams, and Daniel Gibson.

Durant had Westbrook and Ibaka.

IMO what Durant did is much, much worse but came across as less douchey because he didn't do a television special on it.

How do you feel about Michael Finley, Rashard Lewis, Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Kevin Willis, Mitch Richmond and the many other stars that left their teams to chase rings?

At least they were towards the end of their careers and not leaving competitive teams.

So you're OK with Pau going to SA because he's near the end of his career? He's not douchy for going to a rival. Were you OK with Shaq going to the Celtics, our most hated rival, because he was near the end of his career or was that douchey? He had his number retired in Los Angeles.

Side Note
: Who will win the battle of the moms, Sonya Curry, Mary Babers (Draymond Green) or Wanda Durant?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject:

MIZ83 wrote:
thurloly wrote:
2 team league is happening. I am so excited to watch GSW vs Cavs every year, duh!!!

And then listen to endless rants about the greatness of Lebron.

What a day to be alive in NBA world!

Two team dominance sucks! The Lakers / Celtics decade was so boring!

It was to the fans of teams not named the Lakers/Celtics. However I was a mere baby at the time so really how mad could I have been back then
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
activeverb wrote:

In 1981, reigning MVP Moses Malone left the Rockets for the 76ers which had the MVP from the year before, Dr. J., and had just gotten to the finals.

Superstars have been using free agency and forcing trades to get to better teams for nearly half a century.

There isn't anything new about what Durant and Lebron are doing. The big difference is that we fans can now see behind the curtain

It won't be an issue if Durant going to GS turns out the way Moses' tenure with Philly went. They petered out after their first season, in Year 2 lost in the 1st round to the New Jersey Nets losing all 3 home gms. That was it for them. This move here has the earmarks of a much more stable situation. I don't see a perfect comparison. Philly couldn't win for nothin before he went there and they had that single perfect season. GS has already won their first without Durant, they got the all time RS record and lost a close Gm 7 of the Finals. They don't even need his arse to win a 2nd title like Philly needed Moses.

The simple bottom line to me is: Superstars have joined superteams for decades. Ultimately, people don't care how a superteam was assembled. A player is judged simply by how he performs and whether he wins.

And like I said, Moses joined a very successful team that had been to the finals 2 of the past 3 years. Durant is joining a successful team that went to the finals last year. That to me is damn close. If you require a "perfect comparison," you can pretty much claim that every situation in the history of humanity is unlike any other situation because nothing is completely identical.

Last edited by activeverb on Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Wonder if any reporters will be brave enough to ask KD how it feels to be Robin....
MIZ83
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
MIZ83 wrote:
thurloly wrote:
2 team league is happening. I am so excited to watch GSW vs Cavs every year, duh!!!

And then listen to endless rants about the greatness of Lebron.

What a day to be alive in NBA world!

Two team dominance sucks! The Lakers / Celtics decade was so boring!

It was to the fans of teams not named the Lakers/Celtics. However I was a mere baby at the time so really how mad could I have been back then

It was a joy to experience that team and that rivalry. I don't recall any complaints from any Lakers fans about a two team league back then. We have no right to complain, IMO, just because we now aren't one of the two teams in that situation. The Lakers can only blame themselves for that circumstance. Lakers fans have been blessed with experiencing many championships. The W's are up to 2 and the Cavs have 1. Entitlement comes to mind.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Until his signature is on the dotted line, he's free to pull a Deandre Jordan? Make everything into a wwe story!
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Wonder if any reporters will be brave enough to ask KD how it feels to be Robin....

And I'd warn him that both Batman and Robin got their asses kicked by the Green Hornet & Cato (Bruce Lee)....yeah they did, and I still remember my shock. Bruce Lee wasn't "Bruce Lee" then, but he soon became the icon that he became.

Until then, Batman/Robin had kicked everybody's butt.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
The weakest move in the history of sports according to SAS.

That's weird considering Stephen A Smith has been encouraging him to leave for years.
MIZ83
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

He won't be Robin. He'll probably lead the team in scoring. As the PG, I think Curry will back off the scoring a bit. They will be 1a and 1b, but with a different dynamic than KD with Westbrook. KD will be very efficient in the W's system. The distortion that Curry causes leads to an open middle of the defense that KD will exploit, if not open for the 3. He should get the easiest shots of his career.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Who's kidding whom here? Time for some real talk ... Durant will probably be less of a Robin in Oakland than he was with Westbrook in Oklahoma City.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Kevin Durant on his twitter in 2010:

Quote:
Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!
7:09 AM - 16 Jul 2010

What a hypocrite.

Pretty much everyone who bashed superteams has proved to be a hypocrite about it.

The players who didn't jump to great teams either already had great teams or they regret never having/taking the opportunity. Who was ever mad about how much help Magic had? Who wanted him to challenge himself on a bad team?

Yeah, I saw a fan make this comment on another forum and agree with it:

Quote:
do you guys think that any of the Durant haters calling him a soft loser for joining the 73-win Warriors would be praising him for challenging himself and proving that he's a real man if he signed with the 10-win 76ers instead?

i'm pretty sure they would all be calling him an idiot for throwing his career down the toilet and ruining his chances to ever get a ring.

I think there is a certain statue of limitations here. I don't have an issue with a guy having a different opinion at age 27 then he did at age 21. In fact, I think you'd be a pretty stupid person if your opinions didn't change over time.

However, I think that's different than the Magics and Birds, who were lucky enough to play their whole careers on superteams, chiding people for creating the same sort of opportunities they had by chance.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Who's kidding whom here? Time for some real talk ... Durant will probably be less of a Robin in Oakland than he was with Westbrook in Oklahoma City.

he's joining a team that had the very first unanimous MVP and the best NBA record in history without him last season. There is no way he should now be considered the leader of that team.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Personally, I think it is great for the NBA and these players.

The players deserve it.

In the year's past, stars were coming to the Lakers.

Now they are going to the Warriors.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
Personally, I think it is great for the NBA and these players.

The players deserve it.

In the year's past, stars were coming to the Lakers.

Now they are going to the Warriors.

there's a clear difference though. The Lakers traded for their talent... teams didnt have to deal with us. And many of our big signings were already at the tail end of their careers.
Something similar to this would be if a prime Tim Duncan jumped over to the 2000 Lakers as a free agent.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
How many of ya'll would be hammering on LeBron had he joined the Lakers in Free Agency in 2010 instead of Miami?

Of course no one cares when their squad is the superteam. It's all good then.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
jodeke wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I guess the reason there's so much hate for LeBron is because of the way he left Cleveland.

Why not give the man credit? He's been to 6 straight finals. On a team that came back from a 3 1 deficit to win a place in the finals, a first. Went home, brought a championship to a city that hadn't won one since 1964. Won 3 ships.

Say what you will about him but where he goes championships follow. If he hadn't gone to Miami would they have won 2 ships ? If he hadn't gone back to Cleveland would they have won a ship? How many in the forum would not like him to come here?

You can count on one hand players who spent their entire careers with one team. (1) John Stockton (2) Reggie Miller (3) Kobe Bryant (4) *Dirk Nowitzki (5) *Tim Duncan

LeBron's sidekicks in Cleveland were Anderson Varajeo, Mo Williams, and Daniel Gibson.

IMO what Durant did is much, much worse but came across as less douchey because he didn't do a television special on it.

How do you feel about Michael Finley, Rashard Lewis, Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Kevin Willis, Mitch Richmond and the many other stars that left their teams to chase rings?

At least they were towards the end of their careers and not leaving competitive teams.

So, you want Durant to stay on a team until towards the end of his career in order to come across less douchey? Would you?

Didn't Wilt force a trade to LA in 69 right after he won the MVP and LA lost to Boston in the Finals (both in 68)?

I think Wilt, Baylor and West would qualify as a superteam.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
jodeke wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
jodeke wrote:

So, you want Durant to stay on a team until towards the end of his career in order to come across less douchey? Would you?

Didn't Wilt force a trade to LA in 69 right after he won the MVP and LA lost to Boston in the Finals (both in 68)?

I think Wilt, Baylor and West would qualify as a superteam.

Yes that is correct although I'm not sure of the exact year. That team has Gail Goodrich too. Any Lakers fan complaining about the Durabt signing being unfair is a hypocrite
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject:

KD is a Pu$$y
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Cue the conspiracy theorists....If the Thunder had beaten the Warriors in the Conference Finals there was no way he could bail on OKC......now if he conveniently went cold and "choked" he would have an out to leave that dump called OKC and go to the Bay Area....
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject:

How will the Warriors pay all these guys anyway?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
How will the Warriors pay all these guys anyway?

Thats a question the Warriors will put off until next year.....
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/07/07/report-russell-westbrook-other-thunder-players-bother-by-kevin-durants-relationship-with-draymond-green-during-season/

Quote:
Report: Thunder players bothered by Kevin Durant’s relationship with Draymond Green during season

Kevin Durant reportedly grew unhappy with Russell Westbrook‘s playing style, contributing to Durant leaving the Thunder for the Warriors.

The frustration might have cut both ways.

Golden State players, led by Draymond Green, recruited Durant all season. That got awkward when Oklahoma City faced the Warriors in the Western Conference finals, especially when Green repeatedly kicked Steven Adams in the groin.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, as transcribed by Ryan Phillips of The Big Lead:

“I know Russell (Westbrook) was bothered by — and some other teammates were too — of, like, there was some knowledge there that Draymond (Green) was in contact with Kevin (Durant) all season long and they’re in a playoff series and I know there was some conversation around the Thunder team of ‘Hey man, this guy kicked Steven Adams in the nuts twice in this series and what are you doing hanging out with this guy? What’s the relationship? We’re trying to beat these guys.’”

I believe Durant was committed to helping the Thunder beat the Warriors the playoffs. Durant obviously knew free agency was ahead, but he played hard and well throughout the series — though, like his teammates, his production slipped as Oklahoma City dropped the final three games.

But I understand his teammates’ concerns. They can’t get inside Durant’s mind and know his intentions. A cozy relationship with Green can easily be misconstrued — or properly construed! — as a distraction.

Durant opened the door for the questions.

That might have been the best of bad options. It’s unfair to ask Durant to shun a friend because his coworkers object. But the particular issue is how Durant and Green interacted during the conference finals. Many friends have faced each other in the playoffs, and they typically distances themselves during that period.

If Durant kept Green at arm’s length during the conference finals, Durant’s former teammates — while having the right to be upset — probably couldn’t ask for more. If Durant and Green were still outwardly chummy, Westbrook and co. have a more legitimate objection.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Durant to GS has broken the league.
My interest in the league has severely diminished.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Seriously?

Then how did you handle the 80s(I assume you were alive then)

Jordan in the 90s?

The 00s with the Lakers/Spurs.

The NBA was never about parity why do people act as if this is brand new?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10
Jump to: