Kevin Durant will join the Golden State Warriors (Official)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject:

Amazingly Enough The Thunder would have been what Golden State is now had they not been cheap and let go of Harden and Jeff Green. that's on them.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject:

Can anyone here cogently explain how Golden State keeps this "core" together for more than a few years? Is it as simple as, "Teams can exceed the cap to re-sign their own players, so the Warriors can simply venture into luxury cap territory and pay the tax" ... ?

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/golden_state_warriors/

As of the 2018/2019 season ...

Durant: Presumed to be on the first year of a five year / $175MM deal (no reason to do 1 + 1 deals once the salary cap levels off, right?)

Steph: Presumed to be on the first year of a five year / $175MM deal (same reasoning as above)

Draymond: $17.47MM, unless Golden State has the ability / interest to address the contract sooner ...

Klay: $18.99MM, unless Golden State has the ability / interest to address the contract sooner ...

The following year, Klay's eligible for a $30MM+ payday ... the year after, Draymond hits the same lottery ...

So those four players in their "core" will account for perhaps as much as $95MM alone three seasons from now (I'm assuming the deals for Durant and Steph will scale, so I'm assuming something like $29MM for first year, $32MM for second year, etc.) ... ? That would leave what, $20MM for the rest of the roster (eight players) to fall within the presumed $115MM cap in 2018/2019? But those four "core" members within two more years are then consuming what, a combined $125 - $145MM (after new jumbo deals for Klay and Draymond)? How will this work, exactly?

Huge move by Durant ... it's bananas right now throughout the league, seeing reactions flowing in re: this decision ... but for those with the saltiest of tears over the formation of the 2008 Celtics and the 2011 Heat (not to mention the NBA's "(bleep) you, Lakers" maneuver in late 2011), this turn of events must have the blood boiling like hot molten magma ... if Golden State elects to retain this "core" together for 3+ seasons or more (Steph will be 29 years old, Durant and Klay will be 28 years old, and Draymond will be 27 years old next season), it will be very unlikely (almost regardless the steps we take over the next few years to compete, short of a similar blockbuster FA snag) that we might have a reasonable opportunity to see an NBA Finals until what ... ? The 2022 season? (bleep) already ...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject:

soltini wrote:
Weak move! I always knew Durant had no heart. It don't matter how many titles he wins with them because they will be tainted. It really does say a lot about what kind of player Durant is. Jump on the bandwagon because I can't lead a team. With only 1 basketball have fun sharing Kevin

LOL, I don't think he cares. It'll be better than he was a great player but could never win a championship. Plus Lebron started this, so at this point newer generations of players don't see it as a betrayal anymore.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
Can anyone here cogently explain how Golden State keeps this "core" together for more than a few years? Is it as simple as, "Teams can exceed the cap to re-sign their own players, so the Warriors can simply venture into luxury cap territory and pay the tax" ... ?

Durant: Presumed to be on the first year of a five year / $175MM deal (no reason to do 1 + 1 deals once the salary cap levels off, right?)

Steph: Presumed to be on the first year of a five year / $175MM deal (same reasoning as above)

Draymond: $17.47MM, unless Golden State has the ability / interest to address the contract sooner ...

Klay: $18.99MM, unless Golden State has the ability / interest to address the contract sooner ...

The following year, Klay's eligible for a $30MM+ payday ... the year after, Draymond hits the same lottery ...

So those four players in their "core" will account for perhaps as much as $95MM alone three seasons from now (I'm assuming the deals for Durant and Steph will scale, so I'm assuming something like $29MM for first year, $32MM for second year, etc.) ... ? That would leave what, $20MM for the rest of the roster (eight players) to fall within the presumed $115MM cap in 2018/2019? But those four "core" members within two more years are then consuming what, a combined $125 - $145MM (after new jumbo deals for Klay and Draymond)? How will this work, exactly?

Huge move by Durant ... it's bananas right now throughout the league, seeing reactions flowing in re: this decision ... but for those with the saltiest of tears over the formation of the 2008 Celtics and the 2011 Heat (not to mention the NBA's "(bleep) you, Lakers" maneuver in late 2011), this turn of events must have the blood boiling like hot molten magma ... if Golden State elects to retain this "core" together for 3+ seasons or more (Steph will be 29 years old, Durant and Klay will be 28 years old, and Draymond will be 27 years old next season), it will be very unlikely (almost regardless the steps we take over the next few years to compete, short of a similar blockbuster FA snag) that we might have a reasonable opportunity to see an NBA Finals until what ... ? The 2022 season? (bleep) already ...

Well, Klay is under contract for three seasons, and Green for four -- their contracts cannot be renogoiated according to NBA rules so there isn't anything to address with them anytime soon.

Basically, Golden State will pay through the nose for the four, both salary and luxury tax, and surround them with lower priced ring chasers.

I am sure they laid out a long-term vision to Durant, but nowadays it's pretty hard for teams to really think more than 3-4 years in advance. In the future, it's possible some of the guys might take lesser teams to stay together and get help, or they might move one of them. Nothing is written in stone.
Future
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

The negative is that barnes and bogut were their key defensive players along with iggy and klay.

Now, klay will have to do so much dirty work to compensate for Durant's lack of defense... a
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
the association wrote:

Well, Klay is under contract for three seasons, and Green for four -- their contracts cannot be renogoiated according to NBA rules so there isn't anything to address with them anytime soon.

Basically, Golden State will pay through the nose for the four, both salary and luxury tax, and surround them with lower priced ring chasers.

I am sure they laid out a long-term vision to Durant, but nowadays it's pretty hard for teams to really think more than 3-4 years in advance. In the future, it's possible some of the guys might take lesser teams to stay together and get help, or they might move one of them. Nothing is written in stone.

Yeah, I understand the term of the agreements for Klay and Draymond, as outlined above and disclosed in the link, too ... I meant more of a prospective deal that Golden State might be inclined to put forth for either Klay, Draymond or both, when their existing deals are at the cusp of its respective final year, similar to what New Orleans did for AD last offseason ... didn't he have a year left on his rookie contract (this past year), but they reached agreement on his new deal (based on THIS offseason's prospective CBA parameters) last Summer? Maybe I misunderstand what the Pelicans did there ...

If those forward deals don't have any retroactive effect on the final year of the deal, which I'm assuming to be the case, it's true that the salary cap impact of Klay's current deal won't change until the 2019/2020 season ... and for Draymond, the 2020/2021 season ... but the overall economics of retaining their new "core" might be known before the offseason leading into Klay's UFA and Draymond's UFA periods ... and the knowledge of those realities might trigger the moves Golden State will have to begin making to land that plane ...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
soltini wrote:
Weak move! I always knew Durant had no heart. It don't matter how many titles he wins with them because they will be tainted. It really does say a lot about what kind of player Durant is. Jump on the bandwagon because I can't lead a team. With only 1 basketball have fun sharing Kevin

LOL, I don't think he cares. It'll be better than he was a great player but could never win a championship. Plus Lebron started this, so at this point newer generations of players don't see it as a betrayal anymore.

Right, why should he? There's no point in worrying what the type of fans who rant about "tainted" titles think. You work your life to reach the NBA and you want to get a ring. Whether you got that ring the way some fans think is the "right way" to do so or whether you didn't get the ring, but were an admirable player because you were happy to please a group of fans who have rules about how you get that ring is a pointless thing to worry about as a player.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I'd much rather play with Steph instead of Westbrook.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
activeverb wrote:
the association wrote:

Yeah, I understand the term of the agreements for Klay and Draymond, as outlined above and disclosed in the link, too ... I meant more of a prospective deal that Golden State might be inclined to put forth for either Klay, Draymond or both, when their existing deals are at the cusp of its respective final year, similar to what New Orleans did for AD last offseason ... didn't he have a year left on his rookie contract (this past year), but they reached agreement on his new deal (based on THIS offseason's prospective CBA parameters) last Summer? Maybe I misunderstand what the Pelicans did there ...

If those forward deals don't have any retroactive effect on the final year of the deal, which I'm assuming to be the case, it's true that the salary cap impact of Klay's current deal won't change until the 2019/2020 season ... and for Draymond, the 2020/2021 season ... but the overall economics of retaining their new "core" might be known before the offseason leading into Klay's UFA and Draymond's UFA periods ... and the knowledge of those realities might trigger the moves Golden State will have to begin making to land that plane ...

I believe that only first round picks on their rookie contracts can sign an early extension. I supposed the Warriors can talk generally to their players agents, but I don't believe they can do anything in advance to nail it down. In any case, Klay and Green's potential UFA is a lifetime away in NBA terms.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
I'd much rather play with Steph instead of Westbrook.

Sharpen the pencil a bit more ... he'd rather play with Steph, Draymond, Klay and what promises to be a solid supporting cast for the next few years ... instead of Westbrook, Oladipo (unproven), Adams and whatever castoffs OKC can cobble together now that he's left the dustbowl for the Bay ...
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

I believe that only first round picks on their rookie contracts can sign an early extension. I supposed the Warriors can talk generally to their players agents, but I don't believe they can do anything in advance to nail it down. In any case, Klay and Green's potential UFA is a lifetime away in NBA terms.

OK, thanks for the clarification ... agreed that the urgency of accounting for all of these details is an NBA lifetime away ...

It will be interesting to see if the Spurs can do anything, even assuming they nab Pau this week, to keep within striking distance of GS now ...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject:

I thought the new CBA and bball reasons were supposed to stop this kind of stockpiling.

Let's hear ya Dan Gilbert. How do you like them apples?! Haha. Hey, you got one at least. What up, Mark Cuban? What up, Pop? You guys got anything to say or are you just miffed when it's the LAKERS trying to acquire Chris Paul? According to them, it should be OK when the little guys succeed. We'll see. Hold your breaths.

Durant will get pissy somewhere along the line when the NBA milieu (fans, media, the old player corps, etc) dismiss his success there, dismiss his hard work, bring up collusion, say he couldn't do it on his own, yada yada, same as Bron after joining Bosh and Wade. I don't know how a title there wouldn't feel phyrric to a supposed world-class competitor and if he really is one at core, I don't think he'll miss that feeling after they do it while the sports world yawns.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Lame, Kevin, so (bleep) lame.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
I thought the new CBA and bball reasons were supposed to stop this kind of stockpiling.

Let's hear ya Dan Gilbert. How do you like them apples?! Haha. Hey, you got one at least. What up, Mark Cuban? What up, Pop? You guys got anything to say or are you just miffed when it's the LAKERS trying to acquire Chris Paul? According to them, it should be OK when the little guys succeed. We'll see. Hold your breaths.

Durant will get pissy somewhere along the line when the NBA milieu (fans, media, the old player corps, etc) dismiss his success there, dismiss his hard work, bring up collusion, say he couldn't do it on his own, yada yada, same as Bron after joining Bosh and Wade. I don't know how a title there wouldn't feel phyrric to a supposed world-class competitor and if he really is one at core, I don't think he'll miss that feeling after they do it while the sports world yawns.

Enjoy next season because we are probably headed toward a lengthy lockout.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

triple word score bonus for proper use of phyrric!

yea, thanks for bringing this up as the mods shut my thread down since apparently i don't understand the veto.

the whole parity thing is very frustrating. the way it is playing out is almost comically the opposite of the whole spirit of everything. the only thing that has been accomplished concretely is the destruction of the laker dominance. can't argue otherwise. this durant move is absurdly more ridiculous than the pairing of kobe and cp3. if you ignore the late olympic dropouts, the warriors essentially have an actual dream team. All these guys were chosen to be on the olympic squad:
curry
klay
green
barnes
durant
iggy

this is not parity. this was simply a raid on the lakers.

at least one thing should be clarified now: next time people think about who the greatest of all time and stuff is...just imagine any of the other greats teaming up like this. in their primes and stuff. this is nuts.

for sure durant will be heavily criticized for this. But what's going to be more annoying is how lebron will be quite praised from here on out when he has now pulled this twice. and he'll probably do it again.

and how scary is kobe when teaming him up with cp3 results in that kind of backlash, but these other pairings are just fine.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject:

For me, I don't mind rules against stockpiling talent as long as it didn't punish teams who acquired those talents early on in their careers (either through the draft or early signing/trades.) It should only punish teams who collect talent, and I guess the Warriors have collected a ton legitimately, and are just adding one player, but a team that good being able to take on a top 3 player, is insane. It can kind of be seen as a fluke since Curry's contract is so inexpensive due to him improving so much since he signed it (both health and play wise.) As little of sympathy as I have with OKC (because of the Sonics thing,) they did get screwed over by the CBA, as much as they tried to battle against it. It forced them to trade Harden, and for cheap pieces no less, and they now just lost Durant to a team that'll basically make it impossible for them to get to the finals.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Enjoy next season because we are probably headed toward a lengthy lockout.

Uh...I pretty much already came to the conclusion that enjoying next season was an impossibility. Utterly disgusting. NBA has instantly lost all of its surprise for at least the next few years. Unless injuries strike, and I wouldn't wish for it, but I don't know if I could muster a full tear if fate did blow their way, (not) sorry.

I just smirk at the Lakers being the boogeymen for the league to go straight to the Heatles and now this nonsense.
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject:

I'm actually looking forward to watching the Warriors this year. Its going to be very interesting to see how they will run their offense, and how teams will try to guard them all.

Will their insane offense make up for having scrub tier centers? will the lack of depth hurt them as the season goes on? Regardless, it will be a fun second act to watch, while seeing the Lakers young pups grow up.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

the whole parity thing is very frustrating. the way it is playing out is almost comically the opposite of the whole spirit of everything. the only thing that has been accomplished concretely is the destruction of the laker dominance. can't argue otherwise.

I used milieu as well.

You know what, Super? I already wasn't a fan of Millennials before this because of Bernie vs Hillary. Now I can't even let that go, I gotta continue on and curse the soulless, whitebread nature that would make Bron and Durant not only do what they did, but assume it was a good decision. People above who I respect are saying he doesn't care. He will eventually, to some level. These (bleeps) are highly sensitive towards media and peoples' perception. Randle got pissy at Bresnahan for a positive tweet he made about his workouts. These kids do pay attention to social critique. He's going to be all accusatory and indignant against the media and old players like Magic for sure. Guaranteed. Kev has already reacted that way in recent past, obvious example his little snit with SAS.

Maybe Westbrook will buck the trend and come home to a franchise that's down and out on its luck. Please, please, please...

Last edited by non-player zealot on Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
If Jerry West was in our front office right now, Keven Durant STILL wouldn't be giving the Lakers the time of day. We're rebuilding and he went to the team making back-to-back finals appearances. I guarantee you that last part was more persuasive than WHO he met with.

Let's face it, if Jerry West is in the front office, he doesn't trade future first rounders for Nash.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

the whole parity thing is very frustrating. the way it is playing out is almost comically the opposite

Comically opposite of stated intentions. It's a parody of parity.

Let's start spellin it parody, bro. There are gonna be plenty of chances to use that word in the coming season. We're gonna make this thing catch on like hot fiya.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject:

KD's had problems with Westbrook for a couple of years now where he (KD) believed that RW called his own # way to many times and wouldn't pass the ball.
Now he's going to a team that believes, top to bottom, in passing the ball to the guy that has the best shot. And has proven this on national TV for the last 2 years

In addition, KD knows that as long as they can keep the core of that team together, they're now the favorites to win a ring year after year.

I'd predict 3-4 more years of Cavs vs GSW for championships -- and GSW now has a serious advantage there

This was a good move by KD
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Future
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
If Jerry West was in our front office right now, Keven Durant STILL wouldn't be giving the Lakers the time of day. We're rebuilding and he went to the team making back-to-back finals appearances. I guarantee you that last part was more persuasive than WHO he met with.

Let's face it, if Jerry West is in the front office, he doesn't trade future first rounders for Nash.

iF west was still in front office, our team would of never missed the playoffs for 3 seasons straight...

West is a very respected man in the NBA, not just within Laker nation. West, unlike other old timers actually supports the new age kids, while most of the old timers criticize them
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
KD's had problems with Westbrook for a couple of years now where he (KD) believed that RW called his own # way to many times and wouldn't pass the ball.
Now he's going to a team that believes, top to bottom, in passing the ball to the guy that has the best shot. And has proven this on national TV for the last 2 years

In addition, KD knows that as long as they can keep the core of that team together, they're now the favorites to win a ring year after year.

I'd predict 3-4 more years of Cavs vs GSW for championships -- and GSW now has a serious advantage there

This was a good move by KD

All of this may play out very differently on the court, as many have pointed out in this and other threads, not to mention what we've seen in the world of actual superteam outcomes in the past ... there is still but one basketball ... I have Steph as option #2 on this new team, so how will that work with his underrated ego? And will Klay cooperate long-term if it means seeing his scoring average drop into the 14 - 18 PPG range? Also, will emotionally-erratic Draymond continue to feel good about <10 FGA per game? If Durant and Steph see a combined 40 - 45 FGA per game, and Klay and Draymond see another 20 - 25 FGA per game, how many opportunities remain for the supporting cast to develop any rhythm with their respective games?

Also, we may be sleeping on San Antonio, which has VERY cap-friendly deals in place for Kawhi and Aldridge right now ... if they add Pau this offseason, then go after Westbrook and some shooting star wing next Summer who might not even be on our collective radar right now, they are still carrying less salary burden over the life of that lineup (what's Pau got left, maybe two years after next Summer max.?) and look the (bleep) out Warriors and Cavaliers ...

Goodbye, parody ... (tip 'o the cap to NPZ) ...
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Joining a stacked team
Taking the easy route

I like to call it "Lebroning"
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10
Jump to: