Dwayne Wade to sign with the Bulls
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Kinda hilarious that people blamed our front office for being too loyal to somebody like Kobe, somebody who busted his ass for 20 years for a single team....and then we have the other side of the coin where we have Pat Riley who would purposely undercut the most loyal superstar they had on the Heat who actually won championships for them.

That's what I find amusing how many people said the Lakers doing that for Kobe was terrible etc but with Wade they should've done it go figure....

Loyalty in pro sports is a joke.

Rarely does a franchise player stay with the same team their entire career.

Loyalty was much easier back in the days before free agency.Now we have salary caps and unfortunately even the most loyal team guys will end up on the outs if they don't figure into a franchise future plans.

That's true, but Kobe and the Lakers managed to make it work. I honestly thought that Wade would be one of those guys who played in only one uni. I was kind of surprised that that money lured him away at this point. But it sounds like a sense of a lack of respect on the Heat's part played a role.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Quote:
“Compensation to a player is not just a way to get paid and to live your life. Compensation to a player is about recognition and respect and place. We know where he belongs … He’s a lifer. What he’s done in this city over the last 13 years is irreplaceable, and so we’re going to do the right thing.

Pat Riley

After those comments were made, the relationship deteriorated – to the point where Wade wanted to leave the only team for which he has played.

Why the acrimony now? After years of financial sacrifice to accommodate roster building and championship runs, Wade wanted to get paid, and the Heat wanted to protect salary cap flexibility.

From Wade’s perspective, it’s easy to see why he’s jilted. The Heat put a premium on retaining Hassan Whiteside at nearly $25 million a season, chased Kevin Durant in free agency, and Wade may have wondered where he fit in Miami’s list of priorities after 13 seasons with the franchise, three championships and a 2015-16 season in which he played 74 games and averaged 19 points, 4.6 assists, 4.1 rebounds and shot 45.6% from the field.

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Kinda hilarious that people blamed our front office for being too loyal to somebody like Kobe, somebody who busted his ass for 20 years for a single team....and then we have the other side of the coin where we have Pat Riley who would purposely undercut the most loyal superstar they had on the Heat who actually won championships for them.

That's what I find amusing how many people said the Lakers doing that for Kobe was terrible etc but with Wade they should've done it go figure....

Loyalty was much easier back in the days before free agency.Now we have salary caps and unfortunately even the most loyal team guys will end up on the outs if they don't figure into a franchise future plans.

That's true, but Kobe and the Lakers managed to make it work. I honestly thought that Wade would be one of those guys who played in only one uni. I was kind of surprised that that money lured him away at this point. But it sounds like a sense of a lack of respect on the Heat's part played a role.
Bingo.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject:

composite wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Pat Riley was awesome for the Lakers. That being said, it's obvious he's pretty ruthless when it comes to players and coaches.

I think he got a lot more credit than he deserved in Miami...if it wasn't for Shaq being disgruntled at Dr Buss and subsequently at Kobe, he would've never had Shaq land in his lap....remember for a long period of time, he was remembered as a coach who couldn't replicate his success after his stint on the Showtime Lakers. Then he got a ton of credit for Lebron, Wade and Bosh winning 2 championships even it was pretty obvious it was all Lebron's doing. Without Lebron trying to get his buddies on the Olympic team to buddy up to win a championship in Miami they might've gone to Cleveland if Bosh was open to that scenario.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject:

Rondo
Wade
Butler
Gibson
Lopez

How will this team respond to Hoiberg? Might need to start Mirotic to help with spacing issues
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Rondo
Wade
Butler
Gibson
Lopez

How will this team respond to Hoiberg? Might need to start Mirotic to help with spacing issues

Respond by building a brick house.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the respect Wade has earned, you'd think no way in heck this would work.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
22 wrote:
Rondo
Wade
Butler
Gibson
Lopez

Respond by building a brick house.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the respect Wade has earned, you'd think no way in heck this would work.

Imagine the explosion if Rondo and Butler don't get along
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Riles with the fire sale!!!

http://fansided.com/2016/07/08/miami-heat-hold-clearance-sale-dwyane-wade-merchandise/

Quote:
The Miami Heat are selling Dwyane Wade’s merchandise for $13 today.

As you may have heard by now, former Heat superstar has decided to leave Miami and return home to play for the Chicago Bulls. With that, came the need for the Heat to quickly get rid of any Dwyane Wade merchandise from their store as he was no longer with the franchise.

For a player like Wade, who is without a doubt, the Heat’s best franchise player, getting a hold of his jersey or any of his merchandise right now could be very lucrative in the future. As in 5 years or so when Wade retires from the NBA, his number 3 Miami Heat jersey will be looked at as a collector’s item and be worth a lot of money.

Today, the Miami heat are holding a clearance sale of $13 for all of Dwyane Wade’s merchandise, the $13 representing his number of years with the franchise. This is also a last chance for the causal Miami Heat fan, who had never purchased a Wade jersey in his 13 seasons with the franchise, to get a hold of one for a cheap price.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Wow if I was a Heat or Wade fan I'd totally get one. $13 bucks for an authentic NBA jersey is a steal.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Wow if I was a Heat or Wade fan I'd totally get one. $13 bucks for an authentic NBA jersey is a steal.

Their online site crashed so I think a lot of folks agree with you.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

It is although on a related note I got my Manning Colts jersey(the only one I bothered to own big mistake since he left) for about $17 and he was still on the Colts at the time.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject:

LOL, the Heat may actually crash n' burn next year, their Big 3 from a few years back could be a Big Zero next season, I have a feeling Bosh is gonna be forced to retire and Whiteside with one-half of one good season as a Bench Player will be their highest paid guy!

And I am fine with that, they can trade for Nick Young, who would INSTANTLY become their best Offensive player...LOL

Have a look at their current roster, they only have 7 players under contract, one of which is Bosh, they better start snapping up the table scraps of free agency...

Pat best be buying some TUMS stock.. And let's see how golden-boy SPOELSTRA fares after going from 48 wins this year to less than 30, next year...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

I thought about getting one just because it was such a great deal
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

But you can buy 6 1/2 Johnny Football Cleveland Browns jerseys for that price...
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject:

The disrespect is hilarious.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Take this with a huge grain of salt but there's a rumor floating around that Wade will be traded to the Cavs December 15th.

Riley knew this was going to happen so he pretty much let Wade walk away and has been clearing out Wade merchandise.
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"I have great regret I didn't put myself in the middle of it and immerse myself in the middle of it and get in a canoe and paddle to the Mediterranean if I had to, be in New York when he arrived on the 6th and greet him at the airport," Riley said. "I wasn't there in the middle of the negotiation, and that's my job. It's not going to be the same without him. We will forge ahead."

Riley said he believes Wade's decision wasn't fueled by money, but rather something else.

"That is where we both failed ... I more than he, because he's the asset, he's the star, he's the face of the franchise,'' Riley said. "I should have done everything that I could have verbally in trying to change his mindset to mine, a big picture, a better picture, or one that I thought would help him."

LINK
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Lip service

Things aren't peachy keen when you sell the merchandise of the best franchise player in that team's history for a mere $13
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
LOL, the Heat may actually crash n' burn next year, their Big 3 from a few years back could be a Big Zero next season, I have a feeling Bosh is gonna be forced to retire and Whiteside with one-half of one good season as a Bench Player will be their highest paid guy!

And I am fine with that, they can trade for Nick Young, who would INSTANTLY become their best Offensive player...LOL

Have a look at their current roster, they only have 7 players under contract, one of which is Bosh, they better start snapping up the table scraps of free agency...

Pat best be buying some TUMS stock.. And let's see how golden-boy SPOELSTRA fares after going from 48 wins this year to less than 30, next year...

It's amazing how the downgrade from LeBron to Luol Deng was enough to drop them from Eastern Conference champions to a lottery team the next season.

1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Miami Heat just made all sorts of mistakes.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject:

IPhilKobe wrote:
Quote:
"I have great regret I didn't put myself in the middle of it and immerse myself in the middle of it and get in a canoe and paddle to the Mediterranean if I had to, be in New York when he arrived on the 6th and greet him at the airport," Riley said. "I wasn't there in the middle of the negotiation, and that's my job. It's not going to be the same without him. We will forge ahead."

Riley said he believes Wade's decision wasn't fueled by money, but rather something else.

"That is where we both failed ... I more than he, because he's the asset, he's the star, he's the face of the franchise,'' Riley said. "I should have done everything that I could have verbally in trying to change his mindset to mine, a big picture, a better picture, or one that I thought would help him."

LINK

You've (bleep) things up big time, Riles.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Meant to post this a few days ago.

I think Tom Ziller's analysis as to what happened is reasonable. That is, Riley knew exactly what he was doing, wanted, and let Wade walk in FA.

Quote:
Pat Riley knew exactly what he was doing in letting Dwyane Wade leave the Heat

Dwyane Wade is one of the greatest players of his generation, the greatest Miami Heatian ever and a sure-thing, no-questions-asked Hall of Famer. He's also 34 years old.

Wade has always been extra crafty on both ends, but what made him a star fresh out of Marquette was his incredible athleticism. That athleticism is waning. It's not gone, but it's leaking out into history and not coming back. Father Time is undefeated. Wade is fighting valiantly, but he's much closer to the end of his illustrious career than the beginning.

He was not a priority for the Miami Heat this offseason. That much is obvious: the Heat went hard to keep Hassan Whiteside in the wee hours of July 1. Whiteside is essentially a 27-year-old with 1.5 good NBA seasons under his belt. The Heat then spent the opening weekend of free agency chasing Kevin Durant.

Dwyane Wade was not a priority. This argument is strengthened if you believe those reports that Heat puppetmaster Pat Riley lowballed Wade with a $10 million annual offer. (Yes, $10 million a year in a league where Timofey Mozgov makes $16 million and Solomon Hill makes $12 million.)

There are two ways to look at Pat Riley's decision to put Wade on a back burner this summer. The worm everyone seems to be eating in the immediate aftermath says that Riley tried to call Wade's bluff and never expected the superstar to leave for Chicago, Milwaukee or wherever. That after dress rehearsals in 2010, 2014 and 2015, in which Wade stayed in Miami at discount rates, Riley stopped believing Wade was prepared to ever actually leave the city that adored him and adorned him with superstardom and three titles. This reading of the situation shows Riley to be just a bit bumbling and Wade to be the hero fed up with being taken for granted.

An alternate reading would suggest that by failing to prioritize his pricey 34-year-old star, Riley knew exactly what he was doing.

It would suggest that Riley knew his franchise's future depended on gathering as much flexibility as possible in for the 2017 offseason, and that locking up the aging Wade would snuff that out. It would suggest that Whiteside is young enough and holds enough potential for improvement that he could absolutely be a part of the next great Miami Heat roster. Whereas the slowing, but increasingly-expensive Wade probably couldn't be without a free-agent coup. A coup impossible with Wade soaking up $25 million of salary space in 2017-18.

Do we have any clues as to which reading is more accurate? Wade's decision to leave could really point to either. The issue here is the Heat's motivations for putting Wade on the back burner this summer. Pat Riley texted a statement of sorts to Dan Le Batard (who understands the mechanics of this ego stew better than anyone). Here it is.

"SADDDDDDD!!!! SO saddddddd! I will never forget the sixth game in Dallas in 2006. DW rebounded the ball, and threw it to the heavens and the Heat universe was perfect for that moment. Our first world championship. Our universe is not perfect today. It will be fraught with anger, judgment, blame instead of THANK YOU!!! Ten years ago. Ten years older. Ten years wiser. Ten years changed. All of us. Dwyane had a choice, and he made it. He went home. Bad, bad summer for us. But there will be another 10 years, and it will be someone or something else in 2026. Move on with no blood or tears. Just thanks. I truly loved Dwyane, but families grow, change and get on with another life. He will always be a part of us. ALWAYS! And no more bruises and enough fighting. Let's just fly above it if we can and never forget. I feel his pain and pride for what pushed him over the ledge. Been there. Forever, for always, your coach I will be. FOREVER!"

No number of ds in the word "sad" or exclamation marks can conceal the truth of this reaction: Pat Riley knew this was going to happen. Riley is trying to sell the "we screwed up" angle here in talking about Miami's "bad, bad summer" and Wade's "pain and pride." I'm not buying it. Pat Riley doesn't get caught flat-footed.

And there are clues here that Riley had already internalized the endgame and prepared for its aftermath. Move on with no blood or tears. Families grow, change and get on with another life. It will be someone or something else in 2026. In the context of a passionate, heat-of-the-moment reaction to the greatest player in franchise history bolting, these sentiments belie surprise.

Here's one more clue from a different source.

Funny way to act for a franchise who boasts of its loyalty. This was Pat Riley's endgame all along: string Wade along until he leaves.

Why? That's easy to answer. You saw the Lakers over the past three seasons, right? There's no upside in hosting an extended retirement party in which your fading star also demands to make the highest salary and maintain a huge role. Wade isn't Kobe, but he's not Tim Duncan, either. Duncan took repeated paycuts and a permanent backseat. Kobe did the opposite: raises and as prominent a role as possible. Wade is happy to defer to Goran Dragic for stretches and never asked for $30 million, but he's not going along with getting benched regularly and making $10 million. Obviously.

That's only part of the answer. The rest of it is this: 2017.

Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Russell Westbrook, Stephen Curry, Gordon Hayward, Serge Ibaka -- all of those guys are likely to be unrestricted free agents in 2017. Curry is unlikely to leave Golden State, and CP3 doesn't exactly fit Miami's situation given the commitment to Dragic and age concerns. But Westbrook, Griffin, Hayward: these are huge targets for Riley. And with Wade heading to Chicago, Miami could in theory add two of them ... if Chris Bosh is forced to medically retire, which may be where the Heat are pushing this complicated, sad story.

Imagine adding Griffin and Hayward to a roster with Justise Winslow, Whiteside and Dragic. Or Westbrook and Griffin, trading Dragic and adding J.J. Redick in free agency. Every plot like this in the NBA is a dice roll, but Pat Riley tends to do pretty well at the craps table.

Look at 2015-16 as the new 2009-10 for Miami: a season of waiting. Miami wasn't in position to give Durant a better situation than the Warriors or Thunder could, not with Wade uncommitted and, again, 34 years old. But with Wade gone and the cap space there, the free agents of 2017 could see Miami as an alluring option.

This could all be for naught if the Heat decide to match the Nets' Tyler Johnson offer sheet (four years, $50 million) or ink a high-dollar free agent still on the table to a multi-year deal. We'll see. But with the single exception of LeBron's flight in 2014, Pat Riley have never been known as a man who is caught off guard. For 29 NBA teams, you'd agree that in this situation the GM's bluff got called.

Not the Miami Heat. Not Pat Riley. There's always something up his sleeve.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/7/7/12116312/dwyane-wade-miami-heat-leaves-pat-riley-future
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject:

So much for those 6 titles they were promising Miami...
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
Meant to post this a few days ago.

I think Tom Ziller's analysis as to what happened is reasonable. That is, Riley knew exactly what he was doing, wanted, and let Wade walk in FA.

Quote:
Here's one more clue from a different source.

Funny way to act for a franchise who boasts of its loyalty. This was Pat Riley's endgame all along: string Wade along until he leaves.

Why? That's easy to answer. You saw the Lakers over the past three seasons, right? There's no upside in hosting an extended retirement party in which your fading star also demands to make the highest salary and maintain a huge role. Wade isn't Kobe, but he's not Tim Duncan, either. Duncan took repeated paycuts and a permanent backseat. Kobe did the opposite: raises and as prominent a role as possible. Wade is happy to defer to Goran Dragic for stretches and never asked for $30 million, but he's not going along with getting benched regularly and making $10 million. Obviously.

That's only part of the answer. The rest of it is this: 2017.

Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Russell Westbrook, Stephen Curry, Gordon Hayward, Serge Ibaka -- all of those guys are likely to be unrestricted free agents in 2017. Curry is unlikely to leave Golden State, and CP3 doesn't exactly fit Miami's situation given the commitment to Dragic and age concerns. But Westbrook, Griffin, Hayward: these are huge targets for Riley. And with Wade heading to Chicago, Miami could in theory add two of them ... if Chris Bosh is forced to medically retire, which may be where the Heat are pushing this complicated, sad story.

Imagine adding Griffin and Hayward to a roster with Justise Winslow, Whiteside and Dragic. Or Westbrook and Griffin, trading Dragic and adding J.J. Redick in free agency. Every plot like this in the NBA is a dice roll, but Pat Riley tends to do pretty well at the craps table.

Look at 2015-16 as the new 2009-10 for Miami: a season of waiting. Miami wasn't in position to give Durant a better situation than the Warriors or Thunder could, not with Wade uncommitted and, again, 34 years old. But with Wade gone and the cap space there, the free agents of 2017 could see Miami as an alluring option.

This could all be for naught if the Heat decide to match the Nets' Tyler Johnson offer sheet (four years, $50 million) or ink a high-dollar free agent still on the table to a multi-year deal. We'll see. But with the single exception of LeBron's flight in 2014, Pat Riley have never been known as a man who is caught off guard. For 29 NBA teams, you'd agree that in this situation the GM's bluff got called.

Not the Miami Heat. Not Pat Riley. There's always something up his sleeve.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/7/7/12116312/dwyane-wade-miami-heat-leaves-pat-riley-future

This doesn't sound reasonable. Why? Miami's final offer was really close to Chicago's when you factor state tax, etc. Wade could've agreed to the offer after all which would've screwed up all these supposed plans of Miami.

Plus, the 2017 plan to attract FAs makes no sense. Riley isn't attracting top FAs after this latest episode where they ran off Wade after all he did for the franchise. Miami can't offer more $$. Plus, Miami's cupboard is bare so they can't offer the FAs a more competitive team. All that Miami could offer was a "classy" franchise loyal to its players. Well, so much for that.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

The main reason they said that was because it was Kobe. He single-handedly stopped the great free agent hunt of 2-3 years ago!

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: