GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
I think he is gone next year regardless. Probably our only chance of trading him is attaching a significant asset, possibly even Ingram, to find a trading partner. Most likely he is a buy-out, but pray for a miracle.

LMBO!

Seriously- trade Ingram to get rid of Deng??!?!?! My god man, what are you thinking? Just stretch him after this season.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject:

And that isn't even the first time someone in this thread has suggested that specifically. Might even be the same person. If so, guy should just be banned for such persistent Tomfoolery.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Judah wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
I think he is gone next year regardless. Probably our only chance of trading him is attaching a significant asset, possibly even Ingram, to find a trading partner. Most likely he is a buy-out, but pray for a miracle.

LMBO!

Seriously- trade Ingram to get rid of Deng??!?!?! My god man, what are you thinking? Just stretch him after this season.

I'm not saying we would actually do it, but to trade Deng is going to require some kind of sweetener, sort of like we dumped Russell to get rid of Mozgov. So does another team want Randle, Nance or Kuzma enough to take on Deng's contract? I like BI, but if the commitment is 2 max free agents, one of which is perceived to be SF Lebron James, maybe they roll the dice and deal BI?

Actually, I think whoever is the BEST playing youngling this year, is who other teams would ask for. I think the only sure fire NO is for Lonzo.

I still think though we are just going to buy-out Deng, which means Clarkson is gone and at the very least, we hold out on Randle until we sign our free agents next year or get him to agree to a 1 year low ball deal, with the promise of a bigger contract next year.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject:

two years of tanking just to get rid of 2 bad contracts. To sign a guy who is nearing the end of his prime. The Lakers need a long term plan beyond this GSW run, not just a short term fix. Magic is smarter than that. I think he meant it when he said BI is untouchable.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Judah wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

LMBO!

I'm not saying we would actually do it, but to trade Deng is going to require some kind of sweetener, sort of like we dumped Russell to get rid of Mozgov. So does another team want Randle, Nance or Kuzma enough to take on Deng's contract? I like BI, but if the commitment is 2 max free agents, one of which is perceived to be SF Lebron James, maybe they roll the dice and deal BI?

Actually, I think whoever is the BEST playing youngling this year, is who other teams would ask for. I think the only sure fire NO is for Lonzo.

I still think though we are just going to buy-out Deng, which means Clarkson is gone and at the very least, we hold out on Randle until we sign our free agents next year or get him to agree to a 1 year low ball deal, with the promise of a bigger contract next year.

You're assuming that their view of Ingram is comparable to their view of Russell, which it clearly isn't. The fact that they were willing to part ways with Russell in a salary dump to unload Mozgov shows what they thought of him. Ingram isn't going anywhere. There's literally a 0% chance that he gets dealt this season, let alone in a salary dump. You have to completely ignore what they've said about how they view Ingram to say otherwise. It's just not going to happen.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject:

I think Ingram and Randle are much more highly thought of character and leadership wise than Russell. Dealing Russell was in my mind more than just getting rid of Mozgov. It will be an interesting year, will BI struggle shooting as much in his second year? Long term, I hope BI develops and he is part of our long term solution. But if another team will take on Deng and asks for a good young player, I don't think it is 100% a NO answer from Magic.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

Why on earth do you think the two max plan = get rid of Deng at all costs, even if it potentially costs you Ingram? If that's how you think the Lakers' FO is looking at it, again, you're just ignoring the consistent stream of testimony that's beamed from Magic, Rob, and Luke since even before last season ended.

If anything it seems that maybe you're the one who isn't as high on Ingram and you're secretly hoping they get rid of him to unload Deng. And if that's the case you should just be real and own it instead of projecting it onto the FO. Deng isn't going anywhere if the only way they can unload him is in some deal that centers around Ingram. They'll stretch him, aggressively pursue a buyer for Clarkson or chop their own legs off and feed them to resurrected dinosaurs before they use Ingram as Deng bait.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

We could add 2019 first rounder as well as some of our second rounders to get rid of Deng. No need to include BI who is a franchise cornerstone on a rookie contract.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject:

We had the opportunity to get a legit two way star in PG and passed. Now that he is in a better place, that whole opportunity has potentially passed. Ingram might be PG in 4 years or so, or he might not be. All that says is that we are not interested in winning now.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We had the opportunity to get a legit two way star in PG and passed. Now that he is in a better place, that whole opportunity has potentially passed. Ingram might be PG in 4 years or so, or he might not be. All that says is that we are not interested in winning now.

Carmelo just dropped today that on draft night he and George were essentially sent to Cleveland, but it didn't go through.

So yeah....

I don't think we had as much of a chance as the media wanted to act like. I think George was going to Cleveland. Melo even said they had even been keeping in contact before he got traded to OKC because they were both waiting for it to happen.

I don't think we ever had a chance at Paul George tbh. Seemed like it was looking like Cleveland was gonna be landing him and Melo, till Indiana sent him to OKC instead.

And I sure as heck will tell you had he landed in Cleveland with Melo we wouldn't have had a shot at him in the off-season either.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Carmelo just dropped today that on draft night he and George were essentially sent to Cleveland, but it didn't go through.

So yeah....

I don't think we had as much of a chance as the media wanted to act like. I think George was going to Cleveland. Melo even said they had even been keeping in contact before he got traded to OKC because they were both waiting for it to happen.

I don't think we ever had a chance at Paul George tbh. Seemed like it was looking like Cleveland was gonna be landing him and Melo, till Indiana sent him to OKC instead.

And I sure as heck will tell you had he landed in Cleveland with Melo we wouldn't have had a shot at him in the off-season either.

I am fine that the FO did not pull the trigger to gut our roster of its best young talent for PG. He is just not that much of a difference maker. PG would have come to a depleted roster, lost a lot and probably would have left after this season.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

The FO made the right move not trading for PG. If he wants to come here as a FA, fine. If not, we will move on. We are a different team with a different management. I am confident we will be good no matter what. I would just assume we sign Cousins (because of his age and position) who very well may be the best fit for us. We are going to have an exciting team who is no longer tanking, so lets not let anyone piss on our backs
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject:

With all this trade talk...
Has anyone actually seen any footage of Deng from the training camp?
How does he move, how does he shoot?

I understand that most of the fans just don't care at all and are fed up with him, but it would make some sense to actually KNOW how he plays instead of assuming he is done/improved.

Or is all the evidence we have this:
Eindhoven wrote:
I liked this photo here: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKm35ajV4AAZNFv.jpg

Starting unit for the first games?

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

That statement is wholly untrue. Magic & Rob came on board now, but would not be interested in winning now if they could balance the win now, but setup for what's coming in 2018 as well?

Perhaps it says that we weren't willing to pay that particular price to win now because it wouldn't have guaranteed we'd win now. It would have guaranteed, however, that we would given up two of the three No.2 picks we've had recently.

I'd (probably Rob & Magic as well) like to see what this one can do now, and in the future. It's a balance, and it ain't easy to thread.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

That statement is wholly untrue. Magic & Rob came on board now, but would not be interested in winning now if they could balance the win now, but setup for what's coming in 2018 as well?

Perhaps it says that we weren't willing to pay that particular price to win now because it wouldn't have guaranteed we'd win now. It would have guaranteed, however, that we would given up two of the three No.2 picks we've had recently.

I'd (probably Rob & Magic as well) like to see what this one can do now, and in the future. It's a balance, and it ain't easy to thread.

Yup and if only the FO had thought about the future before trying to WIN NOW by signing Mozdeng. Had the only punted we would be in an amazing position.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
It's a balance, and it ain't easy to thread.

how does one "thread" a "balance"?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yup and if only the FO had thought about the future before trying to WIN NOW by signing Mozdeng. Had the only punted we would be in an amazing position.

You still fail to see there was no future for that FO? Jeanie put them on notice to win now, that was their attempt, she gave them no future. That seems pretty simple to me.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

We see star FAs choosing to team with other stars. We could have had a star to attract others in PG. instead we have no one. If the idea is to grow organically then I have no problem with that. But that can’t be construed as trying to win now.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

You still fail to see there was no future for that FO? Jeanie put them on notice to win now, that was their attempt, she gave them no future. That seems pretty simple to me.

I get why it happened and I don't dispute that. I am just lamenting that fact that it did happen. I'll get over it in a few more years LOL!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

I think we need a new invention called:

Deng-B-Gone...

Just spray it on or apply it manually and your troubles are over...
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject:

I got no issues with Deng.
He took advantage of a cap spike.
He's been a professional while on this team. He didn't make a stink about not getting playing time at the end of the year.

I don't think he'll be here long, but no need to spit venom at him while he's here.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Jim put himself on notice to win now with that moronic 2017 deadline.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

This whole Luol Deng experience makes me regret making fun of Knicks fans when they were left with the corpse of Amare Stoudemire on year 2 of his 5 year contract
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
This whole Luol Deng experience makes me regret making fun of Knicks fans when they were left with the corpse of Amare Stoudemire on year 2 of his 5 year contract

Knicks are not much better today with Noah over there. Actually we can find a dozen of these bad contracts in their recent history.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
al242 wrote:

Knicks are not much better today with Noah over there. Actually we can find a dozen of these bad contracts in their recent history.

We can laugh at NY and the Stat contact all we want.
Because Loul is far from a max contract. He's barely taking 17% of the cap.
Stat took 28% of the cap.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 87 of 157
Jump to: