GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
This guy had no problem signing a contract he did not deserve, and, now, he wants to say he does not play for the money? FOH. He's lucky the Lakers paid him because no one else was going to, and he should feel privileged to ride the pine getting paid what he does.

Washington was going to pay him but he chose us.

Please tell me you're joking.

Quote:
The Wizards were nearing a three-year, $52 million deal with the veteran free agent prior to the Lakers bid, a development that “stunned” the Wizards, sources told ESPN’s Zach Lowe.

We offered $20M and another guaranteed year more. To say "Washington was going to pay him but he chose us" is laughably disingenuous.

https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-outbid-wizards-luol-deng-20m/

So that proves that no one else was willing to pay him? I think it is the opposite.

Come on man -- we all know you're not this dense. Why must you troll us so?

It proves with complete objectivity that we outbid the market by a wide margin. Please don't tell me you're going to argue this.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

You folks here on LG are poor sales people; I think Deng is reaching his peak and should play 40 minutes a night. Its about leadership, being savvy, long, what a player ! Lakers don't know what their doing giving up on him, damn you FO !
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
This guy had no problem signing a contract he did not deserve, and, now, he wants to say he does not play for the money? FOH. He's lucky the Lakers paid him because no one else was going to, and he should feel privileged to ride the pine getting paid what he does.

Quote:
The Wizards were nearing a three-year, $52 million deal with the veteran free agent prior to the Lakers bid, a development that “stunned” the Wizards, sources told ESPN’s Zach Lowe.

We offered $20M and another guaranteed year more. To say "Washington was going to pay him but he chose us" is laughably disingenuous.

So that proves that no one else was willing to pay him? I think it is the opposite.

Come on man -- we all know you're not this dense. Why must you troll us so?

It proves with complete objectivity that we outbid the market by a wide margin. Please don't tell me you're going to argue this.

No need to because I read the post I responded to. What you posted had nothing to do with the OP’s point.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Quote:

Come on man -- we all know you're not this dense...

The answer is Yes.

I'm not joking, btw. It's not an act with Donald Trump either.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Quote:

Come on man -- we all know you're not this dense...

The answer is Yes.

I'm not joking, btw. It's not an act with Donald Trump either.

In this case, he's not wrong.
He said "no one else was going to pay Deng." That is false. The Wizards were going to pay him. The "but he chose us" part is disingenuous since we also offered him more money to begin with... but he is correct that another team was going to pay Deng.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, the extra mil a year and extra year brought him here, and this was a worry for a lot of folks.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject:

What I meant was that he chose the offer that enabled him to get paid considerably more by the Lakers. Obviously, any team in the league could offer him a $1 salary per year, but the Lakers outbid everyone at a ridiculous price. He chose this offer because of money (it obviously wasn't to win a championship).
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
What I meant was that he chose the offer that enabled him to get paid considerably more by the Lakers. Obviously, any team in the league could offer him a $1 salary per year, but the Lakers outbid everyone at a ridiculous price. He chose this offer because of money (it obviously wasn't to win a championship).

OK, but the salary the Wizards offered him is closer to what the Lakers offered ($17M/per for 3 years) than "$1 per year." Again, no one is arguing the Lakers didn't overpay relative to the offers on the board, or that this overpaying isn what brought him to LA. That is true even while it is true that at least one other team was looking to pay Deng quite a bit.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

It was a bad contract regardless of who offered what. The Lakers prior knowledge of what he may have been offered is conjecture and should have been irrelevant anyway. When a team acts foolishly by paying a declining player exorbitantly, the correct response is to let them do it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:

to me it really was never about only the amount and years.....it was we spent significant cap space on Mozgov and Deng. Sure two years would have been much better, but I would have preferred we simply did not sign either. That has been my position since the Mozgov signing was announced. I have not always been correct in my forecasting, but while everyone was more upset over the Mozgov deal, I speculated that the Deng deal was actually the more problematic and harmful contract. I am and will continue to be a fan of Mitch, but I will never understand why he signed off on these contracts.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
to me it really was never about only the amount and years.....it was we spent significant cap space on Mozgov and Deng. Sure two years would have been much better, but I would have preferred we simply did not sign either. That has been my position since the Mozgov signing was announced. I have not always been correct in my forecasting, but while everyone was more upset over the Mozgov deal, I speculated that the Deng deal was actually the more problematic and harmful contract. I am and will continue to be a fan of Mitch, but I will never understand why he signed off on these contracts.

If you're feeling up to it and need a few laughs, go take a look at the first few pages of posts in Mozgov and Deng threads. It shines a spotlight on the prescience of some of our most prolific posters.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject:

So if Randle and Nance are both dealt, any chance that Luol gets back in the rotation as the backup 4? It was his last effective position when he was in Miami before the infamous 4 year deal.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
So if Randle and Nance are both dealt, any chance that Luol gets back in the rotation as the backup 4? It was his last effective position when he was in Miami before the infamous 4 year deal.

Depends who is bright back in trade.
But I doubt it. He Mr. Stretch City
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

That wouldn’t have any effect on the rest of this year.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
epak wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

I just re-read my post.
Spelling and grammar... Horrible.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
epak wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

I just re-read my post.
Spelling and grammar... Horrible.

I don't have to read mine I know what I said, seared into my memory.

It would have been not been a catastrophic signing if we had a team option on the last year or two. Deng had played well in Miami, he was always a good defender and he had picked up his 3 point shooting percentage. I was also, like the FO thinking we could amnesty him or Mozgov if it did not work out.

I also remember pointing out that this was a short sighted win now move by Jim at the expense of our long term growth- captain obvious.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject:

To be fair, he is more at the expense of our short term plan. On the long term plan he isn't catastrophic.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

@Funk, MD

I would think some other teams thought there would have been an amnesty this past CBA. That's the only way the signings that year make sense to me :\
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
@Funk, MD

I would think some other teams thought there would have been an amnesty this past CBA. That's the only way the signings that year make sense to me :\

Yeah like the Knicks with Noah!
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject:

The last couple of years teams overpaid for average big-men: Mozgov, Deng, Biyombo, Noah, Chandler, both of the Lopez brothers, etc. We just happened to take 2 bad contracts in the same year.

The front office had hoped that bringing in solid veteran players, while playing the youngsters and still trying to be competitive. I think they really thought one of the Mozgov/Deng signings would yield a 14/10 player. I think also, they were looking for guys with integrity, after the Russell-Young cluster-cluck. It was a major mistake, because we somehow thought Deng could again play SF, when he clearly had become a PF, and Luke should have known from the Warriors that they didn't need a plodding center like Mozgov.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:

Doubtful. They're playing a few guys who are not part of the future plans yet they won't touch him. All I can figure is they want him to appear unplayable so they can blame the old regime for forfeiting a roster spot.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

Doubtful. They're playing a few guys who are not part of the future plans yet they won't touch him. All I can figure is they want him to appear unplayable so they can blame the old regime for forfeiting a roster spot.

Maybe they're using no PT as incentive for him to take a buyout.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Luol Deng talks about how amazing Lonzo Ball's defense is

Shahan Ahmed
@shahanLA

When Luol Deng was holding court in Chicago, he was asked about Lonzo Ball. This is what he said: "For a rookie, his defense is amazing."

All season, that's been the one part of Lonzo's game I'm most impressed with.
https://twitter.com/shahanLA/status/

Full Quote: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DU_GKMhX0AEKRZ1.jpg

If you already are, keep working with him on it!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject:

I hear he’s thinking of changing his name to LOL, Dang.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I hear he’s thinking of changing his name to LOL, Dang.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 94 of 157
Jump to: