GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Travis Bickle wrote:
I remember the night those signings happened. There was people on this board defending the signing. What a complete disaster that was.

Really? Who would defend those contracts? Well, one poster would that still thinks it was a good idea. But other than that guy, who else?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:
I remember the night those signings happened. There was people on this board defending the signing. What a complete disaster that was.

Really? Who would defend those contracts? Well, one poster would that still thinks it was a good idea. But other than that guy, who else?

I thought it was ok considering the cap spike.
Unfortunately, it was just that. A one year spike.
And the players and contracts were regrettable.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

Just go to the start of this thread.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

Just go to the start of this thread.

I thought I was in opposite world when I went to the start of the threat. The entire first page was praising the deng signing. How things have changed.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

I was pleased with the player Deng since I thought we were getting the one from Chicago/Miami, and I figured the huge overpay was just the "new normal" given the ridiculous contracts handed out. Boy was I wrong lol
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

There were people defending the contracts after it was clear neither Moz or Deng could play either, claiming that they weren’t mistakes because the FO realized they couldn’t do anything in FA anyway and were going all in on the kids. It was a ridiculous argument at the time, but even more so now that we’ve landed Lebron James.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

VLF was the main culprit. He even defended the mozgov deal. Go back and look in the archives. It was a joke .. but you have to consider the person doing it .. so maybe it was normal .
Travis Bickle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
epak wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

I was pleased with the player Deng since I thought we were getting the one from Chicago/Miami, and I figured the huge overpay was just the "new normal" given the ridiculous contracts handed out. Boy was I wrong lol

Yeah, alot of people was thinking about the bulls version of deng and forgot he was already 30+. There was also rumors during his draft year that he was actually alot older then his listed age...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject:

be amazing if Deng came out this season shooting like 43% from 3....showing more versatility that he has in years, and playing like a 6MOY candidate.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

No need to single out the posters, but some of the arguments I recall were "Golden state wanted Mozgov", "Luke said he agreed he wanted Mozgov", "Mozgov was a 14/7.5 player in the finals".

The money was the big part though. Initial reports/speculation were that the deals had a team option. When it came out that the deals were 4 years guaranteed, I think a lot of people had a hard time swallowing it, no matter how much they tried to like the signings.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

Just look at the 1st page of this thread.

Lot of people hated the Mozgov signing from the very start though: http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=178702&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject:

The first 10 pages of this thread are tragic lol. It starts out with a lot of members, (who to this day think they know more than most on this board), celebrating the signing like we got a prime Deng. By page 10 everyone realizes that we've screwed ourselves.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

With JR gone, there might be some minutes at PF available. Deng may actually have a shot at getting playing time? I hope he's ready for camp.
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
With JR gone, there might be some minutes at PF available. Deng may actually have a shot at getting playing time? I hope he's ready for camp.

I agree that with JR leaving opens up some minutes for Deng though I think it is the small ball center minutes that might be available. Kuz likely get the backup SF/PF minutes behind Lebron and BI.
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject:

I tried frantically to get on board with both Mozgov and Deng. Defended it when they happened. Tried to rationalize that everyone was getting crazy contracts that summer. Classic case of denial I guess though in fairness nobody expected Deng to be THAT bad. Mozgov wasn't a surprise but Deng kind of was, he was coming off of a decent season.

I must admit at the time I was posting and defending the signing however I was trying to wrap my head around both of them being fully guaranteed with no options.

Terrible time to be a laker fan.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject:

wouldn’t it be better to trade deng for an exception?
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject:

l4kerz wrote:
wouldn’t it be better to trade deng for an exception?

Your basically asking wouldn’t be better to trade Deng with nothing coming back thus creating a large trade exception. Of course.

Problem is getting another team to agree to that at a price the Lakers are willing to pay.

That price is going to be very high with two years left and a small number of teams that could absorb Deng's contract.

It will be cheaper and easier to move him next offseason. Something like two thirds of the teams are projected to have cap space. Plus Deng will be an expiring.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject:

What a joker Deng is. He found a sucker willing to pay him and fund the next chapter in his life.

For $70m, we never got a single good minute out of this guy where he was in game shape, that or he's actually 42 years old. (bleep) Deng.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
15 wrote:
I still can't believe this dude is making this much money smh

Cant put a price on veteran leadership

I remember being fed the "veteran leadership" rhetoric over and over in defense of the Mozgov/Deng deals.

I wanted Cole Aldrich and Joe Johnson or B.Rush on 2 year deals. They all provided close to nothing, only difference was the contracts (outside of Joe the first year with Utah)
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject:

The cost of each of those was crazy but where the FO really messed up was the length of deals.

If they had each been 2 yrs + 1 (team option) even at the same price I think people may not have liked the signings but we see them as moves that weren't going to cripple the team long term. Realistically I think both players would have signed deals like those because I don't think anyone else was going to pay them anything close to that.

At least we're finally at the tail of it...we lost D lo which in some ways seems a bit of a waste, but ultimately the lakers came into a good spot though so you know. Now that we're almost free of the Lakers shouldn't do anything dumb to rid themselves of Deng like stretching him right now or using picks to dump him...next summer as a 1 year deal it seems like we can move him off the books for a lot less.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:

I am hoping this is the case. I know its a long shot. Deng resurrected his career when the Heat moved him to PF. He actually played well. When he came here, there was no resemblance of that player from the previous year (granted he came here out of shape). If he could just give us some quality minutes (again a long shot), maybe we could off his ending contract next year with just a couple of picks attached to him.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

Just look at the 1st page of this thread.

Lot of people hated the Mozgov signing from the very start though: http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=178702&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

So many receipts, where to begin?

Inverse wrote:
Ya'll will come around to Mozgov. Im just happy about the fact that there is no more ROY!!

Mozgov sets amazing screens and rolls to the basket like a boss. I like this signing, especially if the 4th year is a team option

Plaza234 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
@BenGolliver SI.com

By Offensive Real-Plus Minus, Lakers "upgrade" from Roy Hibbert (76th out of 76 centers) to Timofey Mozgov (75th).

Megaton wrote:
Uglymoe wrote:
Mozgov is now the Lakers 1st string center for the next 4 years....think about that.

Actually it's worse than that.

1st string Center for 20+ regular season games until Luke realizes Mosgav sucks or gets injured again and then start Zubac. And then proves to be a better fit.

Then the Lakers pay Mosgav $16 mill per for the next 3 years of his remaining contract to be a rich man Robert Sacre.

Sometimes I hate being right. Well...half right. He got traded after the first year to be the Nets’s rich man Sacre. DLO died for this.

MJST wrote:
Yawn. People overreacting like primadonna's as usual. As a deal 13 mins into free agency is the only deal we'll make.

Mosgov is a solid PnR big who can rim protect, pass, and hit free throws with a bit of a jumper to him.

He's statistically better than Biyombo offensively and only 1 less rebound than Biyombo Per36.

In many ways he's our "Bogut" signing. He ain't gonna be the star, but he's a solid role player for this young group.

People trying to act like "WHER IS OUR BIG SIGNING!" need to get back to reality of where exactly the Lakers are. ROLE PLAYERS are who we're going to be signing till we're a 40-47 win team. That's the facts. Those that can't deal with it, can always go find another team to root for

MJST wrote:
These people talking trash about Mozgov, I wonder how many we'll see in the threads cheering him when they realize how vital he is on the pick and roll for us.

Love ya MJST but maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn.

venturalakersfan wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Tiez wrote:
Mozgov is a far better player than many of you think. He looks slow, but he's surprisingly fast and mobile. Maybe he gets overpaid, but with the new cap, who doesn't? We needed a big man. The big names aren't coming to a rebuilding team, so we have to pay for second best... Simple.

Only thing that really worries me are his knees, but maybe the minor playing time with the Cavs did those hinges some good

This is the take that I agree with. I'm concerned with the guy's physical health, but if he can remain healthy, he'll produce for you.

We won 17 games, our interior defense was pathetic. We had to take a chance somewhere. I think that Zubac can be the real deal. At 19 he was tearing up some of the US's best high schoolers. If Mozgov can give us a couple of good rim protecting years until Ivica can develop, it will be a great move. This is the type of deal many here discussed, a short term big dollar deal to buy time for player development, and I am anxious to see how it works out.

Oh VLF.

MJST wrote:
All you're gonna sign is role players till the team comes around on it's own with the talent is has.

That's the truth.

It's gonna be Ingram, Russell, Clarkson and Randle, surrounded by role players till they come into their own. Get used to it.

Welp....DLO, Clarkson and Randle are dead so I guess you’ll have to get used to that now?

CandyCanes wrote:
Okay, it's official: our FO is filled with idiots.

Kept it real. Glad that idiotic FO is gone.

Dave20 wrote:
Mozgov was great with the Cavs last year. The injury slowed him down but when he was healthy especially in the finals he outplayed Bogut. There's a reason Lebron traded two 1st round picks for this guy. He has great hands, mobile, can shoot, rebound and defend. I like the signing.

RIP Dave20.

waterman40 wrote:
IMO the Mozgov signing says several things about the direction and philosophy going forward.

The team knows they are not landing the top free agents, and the team is going to be built primarily through the draft. The players we have gotten in the past 3 years represent a long term investment, that isn't likely to fully blossom until 2017 or 2018. Mozgov is the upgrade over Hibbert and he can take the bulk of the minutes at center, while grooming Zubic the next couple of years. The qualifying offer to Black means he and/or Nance are the 3rd string small ball center we will use from time to time.

The money is crazy this year, and frankly most everyone is going to get overpaid in this silly money cycle. But 4 years $16 million a year could still be a tradable asset down the road for Mozgov, who recently warranted 2 first round picks. Look at it as the going rate for a top 10-15 center, its just what you have to pay.

Being a good screen setter and a guy willing to play decent defense and can score some. It shows we were not going to pay max. money to get Howard, Whiteside, or Bimbo. Good passing skills, shows we are not going total small ball and over-reacting to the GS trend. Walton is thinking ahead, despite front office drama, Mitch is still putting together good, reasonable deals.

ringfinger wrote:
I like the Mozgov signing. Don't love the amount of money, but purely in terms of the type of player, I like it. I like it better than Whiteside even.

And if it's true that his 4th year is a team option, the worst case reasonable scenario is that after just 2 years, he becomes a tradeable asset as an expiring contract.

But this type of player is the model I wanted to move forward on with this team. Someone who I don't believe will complain about offensive touches, a blue collar type of team-first veteran with playoff experience, a player who doesn't need or want the spotlight and is content to do the little things we need like rebounding, defending, and setting screens. You don't have to run ANY plays for him.

We have to remember there is a strong likelihood we are going to play a number of players at center. Black, Zubac, Randle, Nance will all take turns spending time at the position. We needed a guy simply to "big up" when matchups force our hand. I look at this as sort of like in football where you sign that big running back for short downs and goal line carries.

Sure, he may not be an every down back, but you don't really need that if you're going to move the ball through the air.

al242 wrote:
sogood. wrote:
There's a chance he might fail his physical.

Anyways, Jim and Mitch gotta go.

Jeanie, I fully endorse the decision you are going to make next summer!

Luckily, the decision only took half a season.

CandyCanes wrote:
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Mitch is an idiot who got lucky when the Grizzlies' GM offered him Pau for Kwame. Mitch was trying to trade Odom for Mike Miller.

Keep being real Candycanes.

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Mitch is an idiot who got lucky when the Grizzlies' GM offered him Pau for Kwame. Mitch was trying to trade Odom for Mike Miller.

Good grief. At least be factual with your criticisms.

Unfortunately, the same can’t be said for our MOD here....no offense.

MJST wrote:
Looking at the other deals that have been gotten out there it's pretty obvious this Mosgov deal is a bargain. On top of the Clarkson deal it's made even more so.

...not much needs to be said here. Sorry to pick on you so much MJST but man you really tried to your dying breath to defend any move by the old regime.

PurpleAndGOAT wrote:
tox wrote:
Conley
Parsons
Beal
Noah

There are all cases that these are worse contracts. Unfortunately the Mozgov deal was the first one and first impressions are important. People weren't used to the new market so it's going to be a meme for a while.

People who don't understand how the NBA works are the ones that complained mostly

Oh boy.

Also loved many of the posts trying really hard to hope that the 4th year being a team option.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject:

Whoever thinks Dengs' contract was a good idea I think I have a bridge to sell him. Sell it for 70M cheap when it is worth much more.
The worst thing is his attitude where he won't play scrub minutes.
I would scrub the toilets for the money he is making.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
Whoever thinks Dengs' contract was a good idea I think I have a bridge to sell him. Sell it for 70M cheap when it is worth much more.

Everyone talks about what a professional he is. The dude is a bum who won't do his job and sits out the season an only leaches off us. I really dont like the guy and see past his fake persona.
pokoy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
laker50 wrote:

Everyone talks about what a professional he is. The dude is a bum who won't do what is asked of him and sits out the season an only leaches off us. I really dont like the guy and see past his fake persona.

Really? I completely missed all of this, didn't realize he was pulling a Rodney Hood on us. What's he been doing then? Does he even come to practices?

Honestly i couldn't care less what he does because at this point he is just a salary to move for us now. What a great legacy for Jim and Mitch to leave us with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 120 of 157
Jump to: