GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
laker50 wrote:
Whoever thinks Dengs' contract was a good idea I think I have a bridge to sell him. Sell it for 70M cheap when it is worth much more.
The worst thing is his attitude where he won't play scrub minutes.
I would scrub the toilets for the money he is making.

Everyone talks about what a professional he is. The dude is a bum who won't do what is asked of him and sits out the season an only leaches off us. I really dont like the guy and see past his fake persona.

Really? I completely missed all of this, didn't realize he was pulling a Rodney Hood on us. What's he been doing then? Does he even come to practices?

Honestly i couldn't care less what he does because at this point he is just a salary to move for us now. What a great legacy for Jim and Mitch to leave us with.

I'll give him that he does go to practice and actually does sit in the locker room while they play the game but the last time he spoke to the media:

"It sucks," Deng said. "It's hard."

"I know what people are thinking," Deng said. "They're thinking, 'Yeah, he's not playing, but he's making all this money' … and I would be thinking the same thing."

"This is going to be a phase in my career when I look back and wonder, how could this have happened?" Deng said.

Its his whole poor me attitude, feel bad for me. Its like bro either play the two minutes they asked you to play or accept a buy out but dont talk to the media about why its so tough for you, get over yourself he has full control over the situation. Eitherway ive said my peace and im done posting in this thread.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:

I think the mistake that FO also made was assuming there would be an amnesty clause with the new CBA. I think many of us made that assumption too, though that might have been more wishful thinking/denial/coping mechanism for most.

Anyway, I'd love to see Deng rebuild some value this season as a PF/small ball C. Now that some of the focus has shifted to winning, they may be more inclined to play a seasoned veteran. Even without injuries, there are minutes up for grabs.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:

I don't know how anybody can feel sorry for a player who just made 38M by sitting on his ass.
And set to make another 38M by just using his money to buy pity.

It would be nice if he tried to earn it
His reputation is shot unless he at least makes an effort to redeem it.
It reflects on they type of person he is no matter what he does.
He has to make an effort.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
I think the mistake that FO also made was assuming there would be an amnesty clause with the new CBA. I think many of us made that assumption too, though that might have been more wishful thinking/denial/coping mechanism for most.

Anyway, I'd love to see Deng rebuild some value this season as a PF/small ball C. Now that some of the focus has shifted to winning, they may be more inclined to play a seasoned veteran. Even without injuries, there are minutes up for grabs.

It's incredibly poor planning to have to factor in an amnesty when you're signing players to 4 year deals. I agree with you, those two signings were terrible and costly.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject:

I want to know in Mitch's memoir what was going in his head in giving Deng and Moz these contracts.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject:

What is unsettling about this Luol Deng contract is most people would put in an effort to earn his money.
Most people would be lucky to earn a million in their lifetime let alone 18M in ONE year for doing nothing.

And there are thousands of Lakers fans who earn cheap labor and put in jobs cleaning and scrubbing to make the tickets to see the Lakers and Luol Deng.

This a not an ethical thing Luol Deng is doing and an honorable person would do an buyout, but at least give it a good effort.
Not refuse to play.
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Bad argument.

Deng is a model citizen and good locker room guy. Just because he got that contract and the lakers refuse to play him, doesn't mean he is being unethical
2017 Summer League Champs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:
Bad argument.

Deng is a model citizen and good locker room guy. Just because he got that contract and the lakers refuse to play him, doesn't mean he is being unethical

Maybe, but I think if he was such a great teammate and citizen the Lakers would actually play him. I'm sure there is more to this than we know.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject:

2017 Summer League Champs wrote:
kawhileonard wrote:
Bad argument.

Maybe, but I think if he was such a great teammate and citizen the Lakers would actually play him. I'm sure there is more to this than we know.

We don't all know whats going on behind the scenes. However, I have heard that he was offered spot up minutes ala cory brewer and he refused. He did not want a small role. If that's the case, then there is an argument that he is being unethical. If not, then i believe by all accounts he has been a good teammate and even stayed in shape by riding his bike in the locker room to simulate game action. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
pokoy wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
laker50 wrote:
Whoever thinks Dengs' contract was a good idea I think I have a bridge to sell him. Sell it for 70M cheap when it is worth much more.
The worst thing is his attitude where he won't play scrub minutes.
I would scrub the toilets for the money he is making.

Everyone talks about what a professional he is. The dude is a bum who won't do what is asked of him and sits out the season an only leaches off us. I really dont like the guy and see past his fake persona.

Really? I completely missed all of this, didn't realize he was pulling a Rodney Hood on us. What's he been doing then? Does he even come to practices?

Honestly i couldn't care less what he does because at this point he is just a salary to move for us now. What a great legacy for Jim and Mitch to leave us with.

I'll give him that he does go to practice and actually does sit in the locker room while they play the game but the last time he spoke to the media:

"It sucks," Deng said. "It's hard."

"I know what people are thinking," Deng said. "They're thinking, 'Yeah, he's not playing, but he's making all this money' … and I would be thinking the same thing."

"This is going to be a phase in my career when I look back and wonder, how could this have happened?" Deng said.

Its his whole poor me attitude, feel bad for me. Its like bro either play the two minutes they asked you to play or accept a buy out but dont talk to the media about why its so tough for you, get over yourself he has full control over the situation. Eitherway ive said my peace and im done posting in this thread.

Exactly. I don't understand why there isn't more hate for this guy.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
I want to know in Mitch's memoir what was going in his head in giving Deng and Moz these contracts.

It’ll read; LAL’s up yours!

joking of course
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:

Im assuming it was Jim Buss who was pushing that as a desperate attempt to make his self imposed deadline.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Wtf, Deng is younger than Lebron.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
chantruong wrote:

Im assuming it was Jim Buss who was pushing that as a desperate attempt to make his self imposed deadline.

"veteran leadership"
Do it Mitch!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
chantruong wrote:

"veteran leadership"

Paraphrasing from Mitchs WOJ podcast earlier this year, he said at some point, you just have to make a move. You can’t keep letting players pass you up in free agency.

That was somehow his reasoning for making those moves. Still don’t make sense
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
Wtf, Deng is younger than Lebron.

Only "on paper".
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

He'll play this year and avg 8 point and 5 boards. Hell then become a valubale asset as an expiring contract.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
He'll play this year and avg 8 point and 5 boards. Hell then become a valubale asset as an expiring contract.

Expiring contracts aren't valuable.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Highly paid players who take the money but don't even play, really get my goat. I've said some not very nice things about Deng the past couple of years. All that said, I think Deng is going to get a chance to play this next offseason. We are going to need replacement minutes for Randle, and with Lebron, we know he is the defacto PF on the team. I can see Deng playing 10-15 minutes as a backup PF, playing out at the 3 point line, defending a shooter at the 3 point line.

Ball/Rondo
KCP
Ingram
Lebron
Zubac (because he is a better shooter than McGee)

Rondo/Ball doesn't matter who starts
Hart
SVI/Stephenson
Kuzma/Deng
McGee
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Highly paid players who take the money but don't even play, really get my goat. I've said some not very nice things about Deng the past couple of years. All that said, I think Deng is going to get a chance to play this next offseason. We are going to need replacement minutes for Randle, and with Lebron, we know he is the defacto PF on the team. I can see Deng playing 10-15 minutes as a backup PF, playing out at the 3 point line, defending a shooter at the 3 point line.

Ball/Rondo
KCP
Ingram
Lebron

Hart
SVI/Stephenson
Kuzma/Deng
McGee

I'd be shocked if it wasn't McGee over Zu. If you watched Magic's interview during last night's SPL game he mentioned McGee and Lebron together as a PnR pair. It makes sense, too, given Lebron's past success of elevating offensively limited, catch-and-finish bigmen like "Birdman" Anderson and J.J. Hickson (even Moz, if you briefly recall).

Deng doesn't really check any box of a typical Lebron big, sadly. He can't shoot well enough to stretch the floor, or get up vertically to finish. Even Magic's newly added niche of energy and toughness (basically, Brewer) is unfilled by him.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:

Easy: Jeanie is coming for your jobs so you sign the best you can get. It's sad MozDeng is the best they can get (they were rebuffed by Bazemore, lol) but that's reality. Jeanie should have fired them the minute Jim put that deadline on himself, because it misaligned Jim's incentives from the roster's as a whole.
PengShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
chantruong wrote:

Easy: Jeanie is coming for your jobs so you sign the best you can get. It's sad MozDeng is the best they can get (they were rebuffed by Bazemore, lol) but that's reality. Jeanie should have fired them the minute Jim put that deadline on himself, because it misaligned Jim's incentives from the roster's as a whole.

I don't personally get giving those two players 4 year contracts, 3+1 team option looking back it now would of been a much better option.

Who the hell were we bidding against? Nobody was giving them that kind of money for that amount of years.
Travis Bickle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:

Ball/Rondo
KCP
Ingram
Lebron

Hart
SVI/Stephenson
Kuzma/Deng
McGee

My problem with Deng was he was suppose to set an example for the young guys. He gets a big contract and shows up to camp totally out of shape. The veteran that actually provided leadership was Brewer. I don't hate deng but I would prefer that he was not on the roster anymore.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Luol is "semi-retired"? I guess he is really dead money if this report is true.

Quote:
The executive said Deng is all but semi-retired. He may never play again in the NBA unless he has a change of heart.

LINK
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
chantruong wrote:

Good point, but I honestly don’t believe that she would ever think that those 2 would screw up that bad with the length of contracts.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 121 of 157
Jump to: