GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject:

Finished watching the second season of Glow and I found where Deng had been hiding! Fat lazy wrestler sitting on a recliner eating KFC while others worked hard. It was the part of the Welfare Queen, Deng had an operation to get lady parts and now is a fat middle aged welfare queen!

Fun show though, got better especially the last 3 episodes in season two.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

I’m convinced that the ONLY reason Deng is not being given the opportunity to play is because Magic wants to highlight the ineptitude of the previous front office. Pretty damn petty if I’m right.

I wonder what guys like Rondo and Stephenson and James will say and think about Deng being placed in purgatory when he (I presume) is still able to contribute?
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
I’m convinced that the ONLY reason Deng is not being given the opportunity to play is because Magic wants to highlight the ineptitude of the previous front office. Pretty damn petty if I’m right.

I wonder what guys like Rondo and Stephenson and James will say and think about Deng being placed in purgatory when he (I presume) is still able to contribute?

Deng was benched before Magic even got here. Last year they prioritized developing the youth. This year they are playing to win now. I ask you based on the team we have how does Deng break into the rotation? Who do you sit? Kuz, Stevenson, BI, Beasley? Luke says there is open competition so I think that include Deng. I just don't see him cracking the rotation based on anything other than a couple of injuries to the guys in front of him. He sure would be a lot easier to trade if he could prove to be a useful rotation player.
#DeathMetalMatters
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Deng was benched before Magic even got here. Last year they prioritized developing the youth. This year they are playing to win now. I ask you based on the team we have how does Deng break into the rotation? Who do you sit? Kuz, Stevenson, BI, Beasley? Luke says there is open competition so I think that include Deng. I just don't see him cracking the rotation based on anything other than a couple of injuries to the guys in front of him. He sure would be a lot easier to trade if he could prove to be a useful rotation player.

Thank god for sound reasoning. I agree with you. I think Deng should be given a shot to crack the rotation. If he he does, great, we can showcase him. If he doesn't, cool, we can stretch him. Stretching him effectively ends his career though, which is why I hope he gets the chance to prove himself.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject:

I feel like we may end up just stretching him next off-season to avoid trading picks. The ~6mill cap hit the next two years wouldn't matter much (beyond luxury tax) because we wouldn't have meaningful cap space the summer of 2020 with Lebron + max FA + Ingram's extension (beginning that summer).

I am a little dubious about the FA class next summer. There's a lot of names, but I don't see who is coming.

UFAs (didn't include RFAs because they're not/can't leave)
KD - no, he's trying to pass up Lebron, not join him IMO
Kawhi - rumored to be LA. If he PGs us...
Kyrie - no, we have Lebron
Klay - I think he stays in GS, but this is a dark horse due to obvious Laker connections. This would be my #2 choice behind Kawhi.
Butler - Wild card, but he's an East guy and I think he goes back East IMO

Drop a tier

Kemba - ???
Middleton - ???

If we strike out on Kawhi, I think Middleton becomes the guy. He fits the profile of shooter + defense.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject:

“I asked them, ‘Well what were you asking for?’ and they said, ‘Well we wanted one of Ingram, Ball, Hart, at a minimum Kuzma, and we wanted another first-round pick, or give us two kids and no pick, or two first-round picks.’ But the two first-round picks, that was a little less desirable for those teams because those are going to be late-20s picks, just any team with LeBron that’s where you’re gonna be. So it really turned into, you’re giving up at least one of the kids plus a first-round pick or two of the kids and that was just to get off Deng’s money.”

https://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-teams-asked-lonzo-ball-josh-hart-and-first-round-draft-picks-potential-luol-deng-trade/2018/07/24/
PengShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject:

Getting rid of Deng this season was always going to have to include multiple picks or an asset + picks.

Next season should in theory be easier to remove him, either by including a pick or two or stretching him as he'll be an expiring contract.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject:

PengShow wrote:
Getting rid of Deng this season was always going to have to include multiple picks or an asset + picks.

Next season should in theory be easier to remove him, either by including a pick or two or stretching him as he'll be an expiring contract.

Lots of expiring contracts next season
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
PengShow wrote:

Lots of teams with cap space next season.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PengShow wrote:

Lots of teams with cap space next season.

Lots of FA (gonna be expensive to dump Deng)
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

Unless we are going to make a mid season trade for that super star Deng will probably sitting on the end of the bench next to Bonga. It he can crack the rotation that is great but will probably require a few injuries up front.

Anyway it is a lot cheaper to move him next year when a lot of teams have money under the cap and if we have to stretch him it will provide more cap relief than if we do it this year.

I don't blame Deng and if you are looking for a bright spot well at least he and Mozgov were the reason that Jim the incompetent Buss and Mitch got the boot. Let's face it we were never going to become a great team with Jim Buss at the helm.

We would all do what Deng did if someone was offering 78Mil. We would take the money just like he did.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
Unless we are going to make a mid season trade for that super star Deng will probably sitting on the end of the bench next to Bonga. It he can crack the rotation that is great but will probably require a few injuries up front.

Anyway it is a lot cheaper to move him next year when a lot of teams have money under the cap and if we have to stretch him it will provide more cap relief than if we do it this year.

I don't blame Deng and if you are looking for a bright spot well at least he and Mozgov were the reason that Jim the incompetent Buss and Mitch got the boot. Let's face it we were never going to become a great team with Jim Buss at the helm.

We would all do what Deng did if someone was offering 78Mil. We would take the money just like he did.

But if a team like the Kings wanted to dump Randolph and Shumpert, they could actually save over 4 million this season and gain a couple draft picks for taking on Deng's 2 year deal. We could also send cash to help compensate...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject:

I find it hard to believe that Deng can’t be as productive as Stephenson. The embarrassing thing would be trading him and then him playing effectively. Big egg on Jim/Mitch and Magic/Pelinka’s face.
PengShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I find it hard to believe that Deng can’t be as productive as Stephenson. The embarrassing thing would be trading him and then him playing effectively. Big egg on Jim/Mitch and Magic/Pelinka’s face.

The Deng in Miami before he joined the Lakers would probably be an ideal small ball 5, nobody knows what he has been reduced too now.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject:

PengShow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The Deng in Miami before he joined the Lakers would probably be an ideal small ball 5, nobody knows what he has been reduced too now.

Some significant preseason burn could answer some
questions; IMO, maybe, maybe not...
BeHelpful
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

Why don't we play him and feature the player to get his stats up? Then trade him to since his stock will be high.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

Deng and two 1st round picks (2019 and 2021), plus cash for Randolph and Shumpert makes a ton of sense for both teams...

Kings still have a ton of cap space and will still have cap space next summer even with Deng. The trade would save them 4.7 million this season and we could also send 3.7 million in cash, so essentially Deng would only cost them right around 10 million and they get 2 1st round picks out of it...

For the Lakers they maximize their cap space next summer and the two 1st round picks will both be with James on the roster, so chances are they will be late picks. Plus we wouldn't be stuck stretching Deng and having to pay him over 6 million for an additional 3 years...

I know two picks seems like a lot, but no one is going to help the Lakers... If we wait until next summer, and we can't get a deal done entering free agency, we will have to stretch Deng and reduce our additional cap space by over 6 million dollars...
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

PengShow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I'd like to see Deng get minutes at the 5 this year, since we don't have much there anyway.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

BeHelpful wrote:
Why don't we play him and feature the player to get his stats up? Then trade him to since his stock will be high.

It isn't a sure thing that he has enough game left to be able to get his stats up even if he is featured.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
I am a little dubious about the FA class next summer. There's a lot of names, but I don't see who is coming.

UFAs (didn't include RFAs because they're not/can't leave)
KD - no, he's trying to pass up Lebron, not join him IMO
Kawhi - rumored to be LA. If he PGs us...
Kyrie - no, we have Lebron
Klay - I think he stays in GS, but this is a dark horse due to obvious Laker connections. This would be my #2 choice behind Kawhi.
Butler - Wild card, but he's an East guy and I think he goes back East IMO

Drop a tier

Kemba - ???
Middleton - ???

If we strike out on Kawhi, I think Middleton becomes the guy. He fits the profile of shooter + defense.

this is what ive been saying. People keep hyping up 2019 but we can easily strike out on an elite FA if Kawhi doesnt come. With that said I say we hold onto Deng unless the Lakers get a solid back channel agreement that a star will sign here because we might as well let him fall off the books naturally in 2020 if that doesnt happen.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
PengShow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah, it is hard for me to believe that he went from putting up good numbers in Miami to coming here and basically not being able to play any longer. Reading through the beginning of this thread is instructive though. He was getting minutes and not really performing well at all.

You would think by now with all of the rest he has had that he should be able to play, he is not that old- all joking aside. But that is likely wishful thinking on my part. We all know, including Magic, that if we want to get rid of him that we must play him and show that he can still ball. He probably is not able to play either mentally or physically somehow otherwise we should be showcasing him. He is our own Leonard.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

From what I remember, he would rather not play than get random/garbage/mop up minutes.

The teams that would be targeted to take him such as Atlanta and Sacramento are in youth movements and he would have the same issue as here of being designated to get random/garbage/mop up minutes.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
deal wrote:
PengShow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah, it is hard for me to believe that he went from putting up good numbers in Miami to coming here and basically not being able to play any longer. Reading through the beginning of this thread is instructive though. He was getting minutes and not really performing well at all.

You would think by now with all of the rest he has had that he should be able to play, he is not that old- all joking aside. But that is likely wishful thinking on my part. We all know, including Magic, that if we want to get rid of him that we must play him and show that he can still ball. He probably is not able to play either mentally or physically somehow otherwise we should be showcasing him. He is our own Leonard.

To be fair, he played that first season with the Lakers and pretty much shot worse than Marcus Smart that year. He was horrible and came into camp out of shape after getting a fat contract. It's his own fault for stinking up the joint and he deserves to be in purgatory.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah I'm sure they're terrified of that...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 122 of 157
Jump to: