GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Hellspawn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Why would Durant want to come here?

This is the question.

First, him and Lebron are friends, so that'd be the core of the argument. Maybe Lebron sells Durant that Durant can take the throne of best player from him and carry it? By leaving GSW and joining LA, we become the favorites, right?
Second, maybe his relationships in GS aren't that great?
Third, he wants to live in LA?

I don't think Durant is coming even a little, though. But I'm sure people can make a decent case.

If he did leave, he'd have a weird legacy as far as being identified with any one team.

Kobe's a Laker
Bird's a Celtic
Magic's a Laker
Steph Curry's a Warrior
LeBron's a Cav

Kevin Durant?
OKC?
Warrior?
Laker?

If somehow, some way, Lebron brings 3 rings to L.A., I don't think he's a Cav anymore. I don't think 2 does it though.

If LeBron ends up being remembered as a Laker, I'd feel sorry for Cleveland.

He will always be a Cleveland hero, even though he won twice as many titles with Miami.

I think regardless of how well Lebron does here in LA, he will enter the Hall of Fame a CAV. Brought them their first modern NBA championship to the City, and kept them relevant as a team for about a decade.

I think Lebron has to win at least 2 titles here though, to get his jersey retired as a Laker.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Hell yes it was.

DLO is so highly overrated here. He wasn't that great. My god, people think he was amazing.

Randle too.....was he good? Sure....was he great? not even close.

epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
70sdude wrote:
What fabulous news, that the most highly paid unused player in Laker history is no longer on the roster. That's progress !

Getting rid of 2 unwanted players in Moz+Deng while keeping a lot of the high potential young guys is major, even though we ended up losing DLO and Randle.. it is well worth it considering there is a high chance we can get another star to team up with LeBron next summer.

I don't know. Was it worth losing DLO and Julius for Lebron?

LOL! Ahhhhh hahahahaha!

I think you're dumbing down the actual pros and cons and discussions we had around here. Yes, those in favor of D'Lo and Randle are all idiots if AMAZING and GREAT were tossed around. I don't think anybody thought they were GREAT now. But I wasn't a part of that. The conversations I took part in was balancing the pros and cons of sacrificing youth and potential to go all in with "yet to be signed" old stars while GS looks invincible. Losing D'Lo and Randle would have been a set-back if Lebron didn't sign. Then we'd have the same cloud and question mark over the franchise as we've always had.. does anybody want to come here?

Maginka delivered.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Hellspawn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

This is the question.

First, him and Lebron are friends, so that'd be the core of the argument. Maybe Lebron sells Durant that Durant can take the throne of best player from him and carry it? By leaving GSW and joining LA, we become the favorites, right?

I don't think Durant is coming even a little, though. But I'm sure people can make a decent case.

If he did leave, he'd have a weird legacy as far as being identified with any one team.

Kobe's a Laker
Bird's a Celtic
Magic's a Laker
Steph Curry's a Warrior
LeBron's a Cav

Kevin Durant?
OKC?
Warrior?
Laker?

If somehow, some way, Lebron brings 3 rings to L.A., I don't think he's a Cav anymore. I don't think 2 does it though.

He will always be a Cleveland hero, even though he won twice as many titles with Miami.

It happened w/ KG. He's basically remembered as a Celtic. Played 13.5 years in MIN and 6 years in BOS.

It's like his whole time with MIN was erased. All we hear about is KG in BOS.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
trablos wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Hellspawn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

This is the question.

Kobe's a Laker
Bird's a Celtic
Magic's a Laker
Steph Curry's a Warrior
LeBron's a Cav

Kevin Durant?
OKC?
Warrior?
Laker?

It happened w/ KG. He's basically remembered as a Celtic. Played 13.5 years in MIN and 6 years in BOS.

If KG had won a title in MN - the hapless Timberwolves! - he'd have been forever associated with that franchise, I 'spect.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
trablos wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Hellspawn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

This is the question.

Kobe's a Laker
Bird's a Celtic
Magic's a Laker
Steph Curry's a Warrior
LeBron's a Cav

Kevin Durant?
OKC?
Warrior?
Laker?

If KG had won a title in MN - the hapless Timberwolves! - he'd have been forever associated with that franchise, I 'spect.

No doubt. But 13.5 years in MIN and it's like he was never there. Feel bad for that city. A part of it is KG's own doing since he really identifies himself as a Celtic.

I think LeBron will always see himself as a Cav. And it's not just what you go into the HOF as.

It's all the stories when you're on TV. Which team do you identify with.

Shaq's always telling stories about his Laker days.
Kenny Smith's always talking about Hakeem.
Horry feels like he talks more about his Laker days than his time with the Spurs.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
trablos wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Hellspawn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

This is the question.

Kobe's a Laker
Bird's a Celtic
Magic's a Laker
Steph Curry's a Warrior
LeBron's a Cav

Kevin Durant?
OKC?
Warrior?
Laker?

Really good point on the KD / KG comparison.
KG no rings in Minny.
KD no rings in OKC/Seattle.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
trablos wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Hellspawn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

This is the question.

Kobe's a Laker
Bird's a Celtic
Magic's a Laker
Steph Curry's a Warrior
LeBron's a Cav

Kevin Durant?
OKC?
Warrior?
Laker?

KG no rings in Minny.

Which team was a bigger disappointment? I would say the Thunder but 04 KG was a animal maybe they make the finals if Cassell was healthy.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
]

Kobe's a Laker
Bird's a Celtic
Magic's a Laker
Steph Curry's a Warrior
LeBron's a Cav

Kevin Durant?
OKC?
Warrior?
Laker?

There really isn't anything weird about it. More than a dozen players have had their jerseys retired by more than one team.

The GOAT short list is filled with players who won rings for two teams -- Kareem, Wilt, Lebron, Shaq. So did Bill Walton, Dennis Rodman, Dennis Johnson, Jamaal Wilkes.

In fact, I'd say being identified with one team is more the exception than the rule. I think that's going to happen even more, since the big stars no longer seem to even feel a need to pretend it matters to them what jersey they wear and are more willing to hop around.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
I think regardless of how well Lebron does here in LA, he will enter the Hall of Fame a CAV.

Players don't enter the basketball hall of fame officially attached to any team. Their plaques all have a generic jersey. If you search for Celtics in the Hall of Fame, Bird and Bill Russell come up, but so do Shaq and Pete Maravich.

In contrast, the baseball hall of fame does require the player to select a team, and his plaque features that team's hat, and the players are listed by their primary team.

So Lebron will enter the hall simply as Lebron.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
epak wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
trablos wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Hellspawn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

This is the question.

Kobe's a Laker
Bird's a Celtic
Magic's a Laker
Steph Curry's a Warrior
LeBron's a Cav

Kevin Durant?
OKC?
Warrior?
Laker?

KG no rings in Minny.

Which team was a bigger disappointment? I would say the Thunder but 04 KG was a animal maybe they make the finals if Cassell was healthy.

I love how the league helped the Lakers by changing the first round be a 7 game series that year instead of 5 games.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
epak wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
trablos wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Hellspawn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

This is the question.

Kobe's a Laker
Bird's a Celtic
Magic's a Laker
Steph Curry's a Warrior
LeBron's a Cav

Kevin Durant?
OKC?
Warrior?
Laker?

KG no rings in Minny.

I love how the league helped the Lakers by changing the first round be a 7 game series that year instead of 5 games.

Didn’t they change the 5 game format in 2003?
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Totally agree with you. You're right. I know its healthy dialog but at the end of the day, Magic and Pelinka did an incredible turnaround of a franchise is such a short period of time. Unfortunately there are some casualties as a result (DLO, Randle, Clarkson, etc), but I think the FO kept the right players. I am so pleased with what Magic and Pelinka were able to do to a franchise that was hamstrung so bad just a couple years ago. Incredible.

Personally, I never was a fan of DLO, Randle, Clarkson....funny how they are all gone. I never thought they were all that.....Kuzma is the real deal and so is Ingram. Happy they were kept.

Bravo FO

Runway8 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Hell yes it was.

DLO is so highly overrated here. He wasn't that great. My god, people think he was amazing.

Randle too.....was he good? Sure....was he great? not even close.

epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
70sdude wrote:
What fabulous news, that the most highly paid unused player in Laker history is no longer on the roster. That's progress !

Getting rid of 2 unwanted players in Moz+Deng while keeping a lot of the high potential young guys is major, even though we ended up losing DLO and Randle.. it is well worth it considering there is a high chance we can get another star to team up with LeBron next summer.

I don't know. Was it worth losing DLO and Julius for Lebron?

LOL! Ahhhhh hahahahaha!

I think you're dumbing down the actual pros and cons and discussions we had around here. Yes, those in favor of D'Lo and Randle are all idiots if AMAZING and GREAT were tossed around. I don't think anybody thought they were GREAT now. But I wasn't a part of that. The conversations I took part in was balancing the pros and cons of sacrificing youth and potential to go all in with "yet to be signed" old stars while GS looks invincible. Losing D'Lo and Randle would have been a set-back if Lebron didn't sign. Then we'd have the same cloud and question mark over the franchise as we've always had.. does anybody want to come here?

Maginka delivered.
Cow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject:

I figured with two pages of responses added in the last day we’d have gotten some more info on the buyout. Incorrect assumption
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
trablos wrote:
]

Kobe's a Laker
Bird's a Celtic
Magic's a Laker
Steph Curry's a Warrior
LeBron's a Cav

Kevin Durant?
OKC?
Warrior?
Laker?

There really isn't anything weird about it. More than a dozen players have had their jerseys retired by more than one team.

The GOAT short list is filled with players who won rings for two teams -- Kareem, Wilt, Lebron, Shaq. So did Bill Walton, Dennis Rodman, Dennis Johnson, Jamaal Wilkes.

In fact, I'd say being identified with one team is more the exception than the rule. I think that's going to happen even more, since the big stars no longer seem to even feel a need to pretend it matters to them what jersey they wear and are more willing to hop around.

Yeah, if you don't like the word weird, maybe I can substitute it with "interesting."

He'd have an interesting legacy if he left the Warriors next year.

We might be looking at:

longest tenure: 9 years at OKC but no titles
2nd longest tenure: Lakers (or whoever) - with however many titles
shortest tenure: GS Warriors (3 peat and most success in only 3 years)

That to me is at least an interesting legacy.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Cow wrote:
I figured with two pages of responses added in the last day we’d have gotten some more info on the buyout. Incorrect assumption

Did you not see the 0.2M million difference?
If that's not more info on the buyout, I don't know what is!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Just to make it more clear on how fast the Magic and Pelinka turnaround has been with the team... the Knicks have fired multiple GMs in the last 10+ years while bringing in new guys who are still trying to fix the Knicks mess.. the Pistons have fired Joe Dumars and SVG while.. seemingly being stuck in mediocrity with no major sucess in sight.

Bravo Magic and Pelinka!!!
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Totally agree with you. You're right. I know its healthy dialog but at the end of the day, Magic and Pelinka did an incredible turnaround of a franchise is such a short period of time. Unfortunately there are some casualties as a result (DLO, Randle, Clarkson, etc), but I think the FO kept the right players. I am so pleased with what Magic and Pelinka were able to do to a franchise that was hamstrung so bad just a couple years ago. Incredible.

Personally, I never was a fan of DLO, Randle, Clarkson....funny how they are all gone. I never thought they were all that.....Kuzma is the real deal and so is Ingram. Happy they were kept.

Bravo FO

Indeed. I was skeptical of Magic as an FO guy but he's made a believer out of me right quick. Pelinka too of course.

DLO, Randle and Clarkson, they all have NBA ability but I was never a big fan of the first two guys. DLO can play but I never thought he was properly focused and he's injury prone. Randle also has game, but his rough spots are rough indeed and he's an undersized 4 with poor fundamentals. Clarkson can score and I liked him best of those three guys.

They've kept the right youngsters and the sky's the limit for BI, Kuz and maybe even Hart, who right now looks like a total steal for where they drafted him. I'm skeptical of Lonzo, but maybe he'll overcome the noise which surrounds him and figure it out. Here's hoping.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

I thought @anth2000 knew I was being farcical about losing those 2 guys for Lebron, but I'm not sure anymore.

Last edited by epak on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject:

Also, Mr. Deng has cleared waivers. Hope he gets a $7.5M - $0.2M contract.

Quote:
Marc Stein
@TheSteinLine

The Wolves have launched their planned pursuit of @LuolDeng9, league sources say, after the veteran forward became a free agent by clearing waivers earlier this week
Cow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Quote:
Marc Stein
@TheSteinLine

The Wolves have launched their planned pursuit of @LuolDeng9, league sources say, after the veteran forward became a free agent by clearing waivers earlier this week

Timberbulls!
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject:

Cow wrote:
epak wrote:

Quote:
Marc Stein
@TheSteinLine

Timberbulls!

What happens to us if they sign him of $7.5?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:

Bravo FO

It's still a work in progress. If Lebron stays healthy and productive at an elite level, if the kids develop as hoped, and if we can replace the one-year placeholders with an elite free agent next summer, then the front office will have pulled it off. If those three conditions do not occur, then at least the team will be more entertaining, but we'll be back into rebuild mode in a couple years.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject:

Cow wrote:
epak wrote:

Quote:
Marc Stein
@TheSteinLine

Timberbulls!

Only if they sign Noah..

Noah/Deng/Taj/Rose/Butler

edit: Forgot about Butler

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

Deleted

Last edited by dont_be_a_wuss on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

Rose and Gibson are already Wolves. Along with Butler.
They just need Deng and Noah.

Rose
Butler
Deng
Gibson
Noah

They just need Mike Dunleavy Jr. and Kirk Hinrich to come out of retirement to be the 2013 Bulls.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 154 of 157
Jump to: