GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I still doubt that we see Deng playing very many PF minutes.

I don't think so either. But this hinges on Nance and/or Randle being a reliable three point threat. Since Walton comes from the GSW/Dantoni system that emphasizes spacing it will be really important for us to have a stretch 4.

GS (and the SL Laker team) got a lot of their spacing by setting multiple screens. Force the defense to rotate and there will be open shots. Our bigs need to work on their screening technique, as well as the perimeter players. If we screen well we will have more success. Last season we hardly saw any screens.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Deng wouldn't have gotten many PF minutes in Miami if Bosh hadn't been out with a blood clot, it was an injury replacement. Now if Randle and/or Nance get injured, I think Deng sees more minutes there. But developing the two of them should be a priority. If one plays small ball center I would prefer to see the other at PF.

I'm moving over to your way of thinking on this. Development is more important than 1 or 2 extra wins, if it's even that, by playing him at the 4. We need to know by the end of the season what we have in Nance and Randle. Then in 2017-2018 we can play Deng at the 4.

I'd just hope Ingram can get the necessary minutes. Giannis, who Ingram is often most physically compared to, was playing 26-27 minutes for a 3 month stretch during his rookie season.

Last edited by greenfrog on Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject:

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/09/12/nba-top-100-player-rankings

Deng is #60. Even though it's just a list, if it holds true for next season I think that's pretty encouraging. The bad part is he's the only Laker to crack 100.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

Deng is #60. Even though it's just a list, if it holds true for next season I think that's pretty encouraging. The bad part is he's the only Laker to crack 100.

He's the guy I voted for in the "best player this upcoming season" LG poll.
He's a proven contributor on both sides of the ball.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject:

Luol Deng Inspires Youth In South Sudan

Quote:
Despite his travels, Deng never lost his desire to help others back in Sudan. He built a basketball training ground for children there and is seen as an inspiration to young players, who hope to use basketball to gain scholarships so they can further their education.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-luol-deng-inspires-youth-in-south-sudan/2016/09/12/
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Luol Deng Inspires Youth In South Sudan

Quote:
Despite his travels, Deng never lost his desire to help others back in Sudan. He built a basketball training ground for children there and is seen as an inspiration to young players, who hope to use basketball to gain scholarships so they can further their education.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-luol-deng-inspires-youth-in-south-sudan/2016/09/12/

No better human being then Deng. Very cool.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The power forward’s evolution in the modern NBA has made the position a safe haven for aging wings like Deng. Realistically, there are only so many big-bodied fours who could really give Deng trouble. The rest are right in his range: largely perimeter oriented but a step slower than the shooting guards and small forwards Deng checked for the bulk of his career. His positional shift last season in Miami worked to extend his career. Teams know what they can expect from Deng. Every defensive possession—even those that are ultimately fruitless—will be hard-fought. Every offensive task will be executed cleanly. There are clear limits to what Deng can do at this stage, though the reliability he brings to a system is an asset in itself. (Last year: No. 56)

+ Serviceable three-point shooter from the corners, though he seems to favor the right.
+ Consummate professional whom teammates praise and coaches trust.
– Plenty of wear, minutes and injury in his 12-year career.
– No longer a top-tier wing defender, though he gets by on savvy and effort.

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Luol Deng Hosts Third Annual DENGTOP50 Camp In London

Quote:
“I just want them to know that I’ve been in a similar situation as them,” Deng said in a camp video. “I grew up here. This is the same gym that I used to try to sneak in and play basketball. And now we’re having camps in it. There’s nothing different about me with them.”

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-luol-deng-hosts-third-annual-dengtop50-camp-in-london/2016/09/14/

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/160914-luol-deng-top-50-camp?cid=tw
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject:

*Golden Throat does it again!

How Luol Deng Fits In w/the Lakers 2.0

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject:

Luol Deng On Brandon Ingram, New Atmosphere

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers new forward Luol Deng says he is very excited to play with this young group of players under head coach Luke Walton.
On Brandon Ingram, Deng says he has so much room to grow but he’s already so far ahead of his age group and is incredibly talented and very humble.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lakers_media_day_2016_luol_deng_on_brandon_ingram_new_atmosphere/s1_13681_21954076
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Was there a thread on Deng's media day I missed?!?!? How come no one has commented on how incredible his answers on media day were? Someone brought up the National Anthem protest and Deng gave a great, intelligent, well spoken answer. I would elaborate on what he said, but I'd be doing him a disservice.

Then he said that he still had a lot of basketball left in him, but he knew he was also there to mentor the young guys.

That's what we are paying this guy for! Amazing pick up. If our young core can learn an ounce of knowledge and wisdom from Deng, they will become much better human beings in the long run.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Was there a thread on Deng's media day I missed?!?!? How come no one has commented on how incredible his answers on media day were? Someone brought up the National Anthem protest and Deng gave a great, intelligent, well spoken answer. I would elaborate on what he said, but I'd be doing him a disservice.

Then he said that he still had a lot of basketball left in him, but he knew he was also there to mentor the young guys.

That's what we are paying this guy for! Amazing pick up. If our young core can learn an ounce of knowledge and wisdom from Deng, they will become much better human beings in the long run.

He sounds like a great guy
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

I'm surprised by how well-spoken he is to be honest, just a solid guy all around.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

I'm surprised by how well-spoken he is to be honest, just a solid guy all around.

Why are you surprised?
ZenMaster4President
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Why #Trump reasons, of course
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject:

Very impressed by Deng every interview. Definitely going to be a veteran presence, who still has some game left.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToYodDErzT8

It's from 5:06 mark on.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject:

Yay, a grownup in the locker room!
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Why are you surprised?

Because his wisdom greatly surpasses not only most athletes, but most of the human population in general. That's why. Not everyday do you come across someone so eloquent in real life, Internet, or on tv. Especially on tv all you hear are morons trying to be celebrities and celebrities trying to be morons. Anyways, were you hoping for a different answer?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Luol Deng with the lowkey freestyle at Training Camp

https://vine.co/v/56ZTZDFbMBt

Dr Seuss level SKILLS!
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Dang Deng is good.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Dr Seuss level SKILLS!

That boy can spit!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Dr Seuss level SKILLS!

That boy can spit!

FOR REAL!
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
[Deng on playing the 3 vs 4]:

"What I loved last year when I played the 4...I was just able to move a lot. With the 4 I was able to get back to cutting, I was able to run the pick-n-roll, with the big guarding me I was able to run the floor and get into the offense quicker. With the offense we're running here it's a lot of that. It's a lot of movement, it's a lot of cutting, it's a lot of just trying to get out on a fast break. So even though I'm playing the 3 a lot more than I am playing the 4 I'm OK with it 'cause we're moving so much more. The ball is moving, everybody is moving, there's so many different ways to score."
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I still doubt that we see Deng playing very many PF minutes.

I don't think so either. But this hinges on Nance and/or Randle being a reliable three point threat. Since Walton comes from the GSW/Dantoni system that emphasizes spacing it will be really important for us to have a stretch 4.

GS (and the SL Laker team) got a lot of their spacing by setting multiple screens. Force the defense to rotate and there will be open shots. Our bigs need to work on their screening technique, as well as the perimeter players. If we screen well we will have more success. Last season we hardly saw any screens.

Couldn't agree more. And to be even more precise. Off ball screens. Remember an LG poster brought up months ago in the GT film thread on Yi that GS uses a small amount of on ball screens compared to the rest of the league. Setting those off ball screens well will force the defense to help leaving easy spot up opportunities with an extra pass. Be it 2s or 3s. We'll need guys to be legit threats in those spot up opportunities playing the 4 or 5 position..
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 5 of 157
Jump to: