GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
governator wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Expect the volume to keep rising on questions about Luol Deng and where he fits with this team. In the first year of a four-year, $72 million deal, Deng is shooting 33 percent from the field and struggling to find his niche among all the Lakers' youth and pace. Who knows what sort of market would await the Lakers even if they tried to trade him, but the topic seems unlikely to fade.
Excerpt from: ESPN
http://www.espn.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/4719/earlier-nba-opener-likely-coming-in-new-cba

If he's confirmed legit sucks then roll the dice and trade him for Bosh

I'd take Isaiah Austin at this point

Dude I would love that if that happened. The risk would be so low while the reward of an incredible story and immediate fan favorite would be worth the payoff.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
lakurluv wrote:
Pec is good, but IDK if he'll make a difference on this Lakers Team. I do believe Deng gets traded asap. They have to wait until he can be traded, but it will happen.

The fact that he's not really producing at this present time doesn't really matter much, simply because Tibbs knows what he's capable of. A he knows his system and is a proven vet in his system.

I can truly attest to say that for some players, running a new system can be very difficult. It's a lot easier for newer players, so that's why the young guns on this team excel more.

We need to trade him and it needs to be to minny, and I would say, Shabazz Muhammad, Gorgui Dieng, or Zach LeVine should be at least one of the options we get in return.

Pekovic would not come here to play. He's out the whole year and will probably just be waived. It's an expiring contract in 2018, the offseason of paul george.

Yep. I would be willing to take nothing for Deng just to get him off the books at this point.

Actually I'd be willing to throw something in, Deng + Black for Pek and then just develop Zubac. It'd probably cost us a couple of games but who cares at this point...that Deng contract is crippling far beyond this season.

As far as making up the minutes. BI starts, swaggy moves into the backup 3 position. JC starts at 2 with lou backing up and Calderon becomes the backup PG and Zubac gets 20 min a game as the backup C. Not a big deal, the move costs us 5 games this year but frees up 15% of our cap in 19 and 20....sign me up right now.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
lakurluv wrote:
Pec is good, but IDK if he'll make a difference on this Lakers Team. I do believe Deng gets traded asap. They have to wait until he can be traded, but it will happen.

The fact that he's not really producing at this present time doesn't really matter much, simply because Tibbs knows what he's capable of. A he knows his system and is a proven vet in his system.

I can truly attest to say that for some players, running a new system can be very difficult. It's a lot easier for newer players, so that's why the young guns on this team excel more.

We need to trade him and it needs to be to minny, and I would say, Shabazz Muhammad, Gorgui Dieng, or Zach LeVine should be at least one of the options we get in return.

Pekovic would not come here to play. He's out the whole year and will probably just be waived. It's an expiring contract in 2018, the offseason of paul george.

Yep. I would be willing to take nothing for Deng just to get him off the books at this point.

Actually I'd be willing to throw something in, Deng + Black for Pek and then just develop Zubac. It'd probably cost us a couple of games but who cares at this point...that Deng contract is crippling far beyond this season.

As far as making up the minutes. BI starts, swaggy moves into the backup 3 position. JC starts at 2 with lou backing up and Calderon becomes the backup PG and Zubac gets 20 min a game as the backup C. Not a big deal, the move costs us 5 games this year but frees up 15% of our cap in 19 and 20....sign me up right now.

We don't have to do all that especially if Zubac is not ready to contribute this season
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
we can still sell the idea he's playing good defense and is having trouble adjusting to the system. Maybe we could sucker some boderline contender to give up some assets for him around the trade deadline. I'm sure Wade would vouch for him in Chicago but they don't need him, Minny, it would be amusing if they had Deng and Dieng at PF but even considering the pressure Thibs is starting to feel - seeing the young Lakers playing well and improving while Minny is dragging... I don't know if we could get much youth out of them in a Deng trade or not... not unless they start to get some locker room problems and feel they need a vet to come in there and stabilize things... (crosses fingers)

His defense actually has been decent. The struggles are all offensive, which can be blamed on the pace and system perhaps. Maybe the coaching staff puts in more handoffs or cuts or whatever he's not horrible at to boost his value enough for a team to bite. It's probably a long shot, but it's the best hope.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
We can do Deng for Pec straight up. If fillers are added, there is absolutely "NO WAY" Levine will be coming our way. We may not even be able to get Jones (as he has recently been getting more minutes than Dunn). Shabazz might be the guy IF Thibs really does want Deng in the first place.

We won't, that would be beyond a horrible trade. Our FO is much, much smarter than that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Expect the volume to keep rising on questions about Luol Deng and where he fits with this team. In the first year of a four-year, $72 million deal, Deng is shooting 33 percent from the field and struggling to find his niche among all the Lakers' youth and pace. Who knows what sort of market would await the Lakers even if they tried to trade him, but the topic seems unlikely to fade.
Excerpt from: ESPN
http://www.espn.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/4719/earlier-nba-opener-likely-coming-in-new-cba

If he's confirmed legit sucks then roll the dice and trade him for Bosh

That wouldn't even be possible. But compared to other ideas here, why let something like that get in the way of a good whine.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
I could forgive Deng if he played well during this stretch where everyone else is injured and then returned to his old-ass form. Someone else has to step up offensively with DLO/Young out. Ingram looks like he could be a candidate on some nights. But we're paying this guy to step up in moments like these, too.

Lakers wouldn't be getting much back if a Pek salary dump deal opens up. They'd be thin at 3 until Nick Young's back.

Slowing Derozan down isn't playing well?
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
I could forgive Deng if he played well during this stretch where everyone else is injured and then returned to his old-ass form. Someone else has to step up offensively with DLO/Young out. Ingram looks like he could be a candidate on some nights. But we're paying this guy to step up in moments like these, too.

Lakers wouldn't be getting much back if a Pek salary dump deal opens up. They'd be thin at 3 until Nick Young's back.

The game was over after 2qtrs and then they were just toying around with us.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Kwame was kinda brick wall ok on defense too, he just didn't have to be guarded on offense Right now, Deng is zero threat on offense, teams love it when he takes outside shots. I'm sure Luke thought he would be playing him a lot more minutes than he's been getting.
Slash&Splash
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject:

It shocks me how his shot is short EVERY SINGLE TIME. Shoot that thing higher, man!

At this point, I'll be happy if his misses hit the back rim.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject:

if Thibs calls, Mitch should say, "Kris Dunn or gtfoh"

If Mitch can turn Deng into Kris Dunn and trash, I'd have to nominate Mitch for Godhood status... Dunn would look much better in our system:

DLo/Kris Dunn
Nick/Lou
Ingram/Clarkson
Julius/Nance
Mozzy/Tarik/Eventually Zubac
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Worst contract of the summer so far?

Noah is producing. Solomon Hill is still young and is only making about 10M a year. Turner has picked up his play.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
We can do Deng for Pec straight up. If fillers are added, there is absolutely "NO WAY" Levine will be coming our way. We may not even be able to get Jones (as he has recently been getting more minutes than Dunn). Shabazz might be the guy IF Thibs really does want Deng in the first place.

We won't, that would be beyond a horrible trade. Our FO is much, much smarter than that.

What do you think we can REALISTICALLY get for him. If you think Levine, then I will tell you that the Wolves FO is much, much smarter than that.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Slash&Splash wrote:
It shocks me how his shot is short EVERY SINGLE TIME. Shoot that thing higher, man!

His legs are shot. He needs to play for the Jazz or some slow af team.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject:

He needs the Phoenix Suns training staff
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject:

24ways2die wrote:

He needs Lance Armstrong's trainer.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Slash&Splash wrote:

His legs are shot. He needs to play for the Jazz or some slow af team.

The Minnesota coach loves Luol Deng.

Pekovic/shabazz muhammad for Luol deng is realistic.
Then buyout pekovic's contract.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
24ways2die wrote:

He needs Lance Armstrong's trainer.

Or Lebron's dealer
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject:

It doesn't look like Deng has adjusted to the pace and offensive system, true. But he is contributing in other ways and it's the coaching staff's job to figure out how to put him in a position to succeed. Right now they are figuring a lot of things out and have made an amazing amount of progress on that front. But it's still a work in progress and may remain so for most of the season.

It's possible that could even lead management to determine swapping Deng for other players provides a better fit or requires less adjustment that might impact other players (e.g. minutes at PF, offensive sets, unit rotations). But that is far from determined. And it's silly to look at Deng as an addition-by-subtraction guy. It's just not true.

LA isn't purging Deng. If traded the return would need to be more than cap flexibility. Minnesota has a president who is a fan and several parts Laker management might find interesting. They're also one of the few teams in the league with an albatross contract that could counter some of the affects of the size of Deng's deal. But anything resembling Pekovic and pittance for Deng gets rejected by LA.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Deng was defending Derozan in the first quarter.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

What do you think we can REALISTICALLY get for him. If you think Levine, then I will tell you that the Wolves FO is much, much smarter than that.

I don't think the FO is trying to trade him, so it is a moot point. They sure as heck aren't dumping him for two years of Pekovic not playing. They would ask for a package around Levine or Wiggins or Towns.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
It doesn't look like Deng has adjusted to the pace and offensive system, true. But he is contributing in other ways and it's the coaching staff's job to figure out how to put him in a position to succeed. Right now they are figuring a lot of things out and have made an amazing amount of progress on that front. But it's still a work in progress and may remain so for most of the season.

It's possible that could even lead management to determine swapping Deng for other players provides a better fit or requires less adjustment that might impact other players (e.g. minutes at PF, offensive sets, unit rotations). But that is far from determined. And it's silly to look at Deng as an addition-by-subtraction guy. It's just not true.

LA isn't purging Deng. If traded the return would need to be more than cap flexibility. Minnesota has a president who is a fan and several parts Laker management might find interesting. They're also one of the few teams in the league with an albatross contract that could counter some of the affects of the size of Deng's deal. But anything resembling Pekovic and pittance for Deng gets rejected by LA.

I think he'd better coming off the bench. The player who probably negatively affects him the most is Randle because he's so damn fast at pushing the ball it increases the pace and diverts the offense from its normal structure. If he could come off the bench and play with Lou, who's at the foul line a good chunk of the time, he'd have more time to rest, and maybe have a little bit more on his jumpshot. Just a theory.

Last edited by greenfrog on Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
we can still sell the idea he's playing good defense and is having trouble adjusting to the system. Maybe we could sucker some boderline contender to give up some assets for him around the trade deadline. I'm sure Wade would vouch for him in Chicago but they don't need him, Minny, it would be amusing if they had Deng and Dieng at PF but even considering the pressure Thibs is starting to feel - seeing the young Lakers playing well and improving while Minny is dragging... I don't know if we could get much youth out of them in a Deng trade or not... not unless they start to get some locker room problems and feel they need a vet to come in there and stabilize things... (crosses fingers)

His defense actually has been decent. The struggles are all offensive, which can be blamed on the pace and system perhaps. Maybe the coaching staff puts in more handoffs or cuts or whatever he's not horrible at to boost his value enough for a team to bite. It's probably a long shot, but it's the best hope.

Yeah I have been extremely hard on deng lately but after rewatching the previous previous game's first quarter just to make a point and then paying more attention to it in the game against the raptors I noticed that he does actually do a pretty good job on defensive end

annoyingly not everything is black and white and people do good things and bad things. I don't know what to complain about now in my posts
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Well he obviously isn't performing well offensively, so any criticism there is warranted.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Would be nice for him to show up in a pretty big game tonight for both teams due to injuries.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 51 of 157
Jump to: