GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject:

DANG...!
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject:

Warriors need to replace KD. Hopefully KD has career ending knee surgery and warriors take on Deng in the offseason to replace him. Jk calm down
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Man, so what's the end game for Moz/Deng this season, let alone the 3 years after this season?

What are the chances both are on the team when the 2018-19 season starts?

I am hoping all that Magic can cash in some of the goodwill he has been building up with the agents and the Rocket's GM.

But serioulsy, I don't know. I do know that they will both be on the team next season because it is way to early to stretch them. But after that who knows.

I still harbor a small hope that if Mozzer continues to get benched he would be receptive to a buyout of some sort. For what ever he is, I know he is a hard working guy who likes to play and is competative. I don't care how much money you have, it has to be embarrasing to continue to ride the pine.

The buyout doesn't resolve the cap hits. Only a stretch provision would affect that.

I think the buyout does affect the cap hit. When Sanders got bought out, he had 3 years/ $33M left on his contract. He ended up agreeing to about $13M of that $33M, and the Bucks stretched the hit of that. So they're paying <$2M over 7 years for him, and that's the cap hit as well.

If a buyout didn't change the cap hit, they'd be paying $33M/7 (about $5M) instead.

If they agree to a buy for less than the full value of the contract, our cap hit is less by the amount saved from the buy out I beleive. But then again I'm no Larry Coon.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Man, so what's the end game for Moz/Deng this season, let alone the 3 years after this season?

What are the chances both are on the team when the 2018-19 season starts?

I am hoping all that Magic can cash in some of the goodwill he has been building up with the agents and the Rocket's GM.

But serioulsy, I don't know. I do know that they will both be on the team next season because it is way to early to stretch them. But after that who knows.

I still harbor a small hope that if Mozzer continues to get benched he would be receptive to a buyout of some sort. For what ever he is, I know he is a hard working guy who likes to play and is competative. I don't care how much money you have, it has to be embarrasing to continue to ride the pine.

The buyout doesn't resolve the cap hits. Only a stretch provision would affect that.

I think the buyout does affect the cap hit. When Sanders got bought out, he had 3 years/ $33M left on his contract. He ended up agreeing to about $13M of that $33M, and the Bucks stretched the hit of that. So they're paying <$2M over 7 years for him, and that's the cap hit as well.

If a buyout didn't change the cap hit, they'd be paying $33M/7 (about $5M) instead.

If they agree to a buy for less than the full value of the contract, our cap hit is less by the amount saved from the buy out I beleive. But then again I'm no Larry Coon.

Hmm, but is it b/c he "retired" from basketball? In Moz/Deng's case, it would be a buyout so they could join another team at FMV value.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Hmm, but is it b/c he "retired" from basketball? In Moz/Deng's case, it would be a buyout so they could join another team at FMV value.

Good question. Didn't consider that.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:
Moz is serviceable and a movable piece at least possibly - there's no redeeming factor to deng right now. He has been abysmal so far

Deng was not even that bad last year at the 4. I just don't get the huge drop off.

He was averaging 12 points a game on 45% shooting just last year and 13 points on 47% shooting in the playoffs.

There is no way he aged that much in just 4 months over the offseason. Something else must be going on.

And that's 1 big reason why you can't blame the Lakers for the contract.

That is a diffrent story. I mean 13ppg is still not worthy of $18 million a season IMO. I can still blame the FO for his contract.

Honestly, looking at the FA class of 2016, a lot of guys got unwarranted contracts. Seriously look at Dengs age he's not that old and well maybe there is personal issues we don't know about, I think the Lakers took a chance at him and we will see how much impact he makes next year when the season isn't about developing the kids and more about competing which is were he can make his mark.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:
Moz is serviceable and a movable piece at least possibly - there's no redeeming factor to deng right now. He has been abysmal so far

Deng was not even that bad last year at the 4. I just don't get the huge drop off.

He was averaging 12 points a game on 45% shooting just last year and 13 points on 47% shooting in the playoffs.

There is no way he aged that much in just 4 months over the offseason. Something else must be going on.

That is a diffrent story. I mean 13ppg is still not worthy of $18 million a season IMO. I can still blame the FO for his contract.

Honestly, looking at the FA class of 2016, a lot of guys got unwarranted contracts. Seriously look at Dengs age he's not that old and well maybe there is personal issues we don't know about, I think the Lakers took a chance at him and we will see how much impact he makes next year when the season isn't about developing the kids and more about competing which is were he can make his mark.

If it was only Deng I think people woudn't be feeling as bad about it. The issue is that the lakers gave TWO of thoses horrible and lenghty contract to players who look nearly done.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:

If it was only Deng I think people woudn't be feeling as bad about it. The issue is that the lakers gave TWO of thoses horrible and lenghty contract to players who look nearly done.

I think the bigger issue is that, these guys are used to winning and they got put in a position were the youth was heads and above the vets.. They can still be a contributor on a playoff team.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:

I think the bigger issue is that, these guys are used to winning and they got put in a position were the youth was heads and above the vets.. They can still be a contributor on a playoff team.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkG_Medina/status/838444420982681600

Real professional
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Real professional

@18M I'll be a true professional as well: To sit on the bench
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Real professional

Lol.
EldenCampbell
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Real professional

Deng and Mozgov have sat out the last two games. If they remain inactive for the rest of the season, the Lakers will have paid $9,121,951.22 for them not to play
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:

EldenCampbell wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Real professional

Deng and Mozgov have sat out the last two games. If they remain inactive for the rest of the season, the Lakers will have paid $9,121,951.22 for them not to play

I loved Orlando Woolridge when they picked him up. He had a struggle to acclimate to that kind of team after playing for years on grabass squads where everyone looked for theirs (you too, Michael Jeffrey). He told Chick during a halftime interview that he was culture shocked by the organization of Laker practices. He eventually figured it out for the most part, tho. Loved his yell d0nX. AHHH! The absolute loudest "SLAAAAM DUNK!" I've ever heard from Chick was on an obscenely spiked donk at GS in 89. He had a full lane and dunked with Manute in the paint. Loved that rare giant Orlando/Magic, Mychal, Vlade unit. Riles didn't use that too often. Cavs with Brad D, Larry Sr, Hot Rod, opponents like that.
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Corey Brewer makes Luol Deng more expandable than he already was, best case scenario Deng retires at years end, but that's not happening.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject:

E_Wulf420 wrote:
Corey Brewer makes Luol Deng more expandable than he already was, best case scenario Deng retires at years end, but that's not happening.

He looks more energetic for sure.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject:

I am hoping that with all of this extended rest that Deng is getting that he can erase some of the Thibs years from his legs.

It would be nice if he came and played like 2016 playoffs Deng next season.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
I am hoping that with all of this extended rest that Deng is getting that he can erase some of the Thibs years from his legs.

It would be nice if he came and played like 2016 playoffs Deng next season.

True story: Deng had a TS% of 54% (quite good) when he didn't play next to Jordan Clarkson. Clarkson plays a ball dominant, improvisational style and we might have hypothesized that Deng doesn't fit there (he needs to be spoonfed spotup opportunities, like he was in Miami).

To me that bodes pretty well that as the Lakers get more structured next season (no Lou, hopefully Clarkson learns to play organized ball, and another year of learning Luke's system/ principles), Deng will have a nice return to form.

BTW, yes that number includes the huge chunk of minutes (w/o Clarkson) in November where he was in a huge shooting slump.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Tox-

Yeah, I figure something has to be going on. I mean, it was just 4 months after his good performance for Miami that he came here and looked like he could not play any longer. It's not like he suddenly got 5 years older or forgot how to shoot or play D.

Let's hope he can contribute starting in October!!
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:

I could agree with that. Deng can be serviceable imo, he really should be filling in on a good team. Moz just came out of nowhere imo, really surprised alot of people.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
E_Wulf420 wrote:

LOL.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:

I could agree with that. Deng can be serviceable imo, he really should be filling in on a good team. Moz just came out of nowhere imo, really surprised alot of people.

Both Moz and Deng can bring value to a playoff team, that should be the selling point if we try to trade them.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
E_Wulf420 wrote:

LOL.

You know what lineup I would like to see next year as the bench unit?

Dlo
Nwaba
Brewer
Deng
Mozgov

Dlo can still start, but leave him out there with 4 solid defenders, 3 of which are savvy vets. Basically flip the script from this year and make our second unit the major defense squad. Lock down the other teams bench, force some turnovers and fast breaks and then let Dlo operate with a spread floor in the half court.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:

Both Moz and Deng can bring value to a playoff team, that should be the selling point if we try to trade them.

Playoff teams tend to have higher paid veterans and that skews their payrolls to the highside and near the the expected $102 million salary cap for next season. It becomes quite difficult to add expensive bench level players (Mozgov or Deng) in those situations.

1. Golden State
Already has enough finanical issues to work through with new contracts for Durant, Curry et al.

2. San Antonio
Patty Mills needs a new contract and perhaps Dedmon as well. Team Salary over $90 million without Mills & Dedmon

3. Houston
Nene will need a new contract and appears to be a good fit there. Mozgov and Deng might not be good fits with style - pace.

4. Cleveland
Team salary is already on the heavy side.

5. Boston
Will have multiple contracts to negotiate in summer 2018. Taking on Mozgov or Deng will make things more expensive in future seasons.

6. Washington
Already have Gotat and Mahinmi, so no need for Mozgov. Team salary will jump significantly with a new contract for Porter. The numbers will jump even more if they keep Bogdanovic.

7. Toronto
Have multiple contract scenarios to work through with Ibaka, Lowry, Patterson and maybe Tucker. Already at $90 million in team salary before giving out new contracts.

8. Utah
Hayward and Hill need new contracts. Perhaps Mack and Ingles as well depending on how things go with Hayward and Hill. Perhaps will have to move Burks just to keep the team salary under control.

9. Clippers
Blake and CP3 need new contracts.

10. OKC
Team salary will be at $111 million before new contracts for Roberson and Gibson.

11. Memphis
Team salary will be at $94 million before any moves are made. If the older vets such as Zach Randolph, Tony Allen and Vince Carter retire, Memphis should be looking to replace them with younger players rather than 30+ players such as Mozgov and Deng.

12. Indiana
Teague needs a new contract or else money will need to be allocated for a starting level PG. They already have Jefferson as the veteran center. Paul George is likely expecting Bird to come up with an improved roster and it is doubtful that acquiring Deng or Mozgov would be seen as good moves in that direction.

13. Milwaukee
Already started shifting salary away from the center position with the trade for Hawes. They will have a team salary of $106 million if Hawes and Monroe pickup their options.

14. Atlanta
Dwight will be making $23.5 million and it is difficult to imagine them adding an expensive backup center in Mozgov. They will have some cap space available if Millsap leaves, but they could then opt for more of a youth movement and have no need for Deng. He might also be a poor fit for their style of play.

15. Portland or Denver
Portland already has a huge payroll. Denver has Plumlee for backup Big and Deng playing home games in the Mile High City might not be a good idea.

16. Miami
I can't imagine Riley taking Deng back with that contract unless the Lakers attach some incentive.
They already have quite a bit of salary allocated to Whiteside and taking on Mozgov as a backup center unless the Lakers attach some incentive.

Do you even bother to do any type of research before sharing your ideas?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:
zePokar wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:

Playoff teams tend to have higher paid veterans and that skews their payrolls to the highside and near the the expected $102 million salary cap for next season. It becomes quite difficult to add expensive bench level players (Mozgov or Deng) in those situations.

1. Golden State
Already has enough finanical issues to work through with new contracts for Durant, Curry et al.

2. San Antonio
Patty Mills needs a new contract and perhaps Dedmon as well. Team Salary over $90 million without Mills & Dedmon

3. Houston
Nene will need a new contract and appears to be a good fit there. Mozgov and Deng might not be good fits with style - pace.

4. Cleveland
Team salary is already on the heavy side.

5. Boston
Will have multiple contracts to negotiate in summer 2018. Taking on Mozgov or Deng will make things more expensive in future seasons.

6. Washington
Already have Gotat and Mahinmi, so no need for Mozgov. Team salary will jump significantly with a new contract for Porter. The numbers will jump even more if they keep Bogdanovic.

7. Toronto
Have multiple contract scenarios to work through with Ibaka, Lowry, Patterson and maybe Tucker. Already at $90 million in team salary before giving out new contracts.

8. Utah
Hayward and Hill need new contracts. Perhaps Mack and Ingles as well depending on how things go with Hayward and Hill. Perhaps will have to move Burks just to keep the team salary under control.

9. Clippers
Blake and CP3 need new contracts.

10. OKC
Team salary will be at $111 million before new contracts for Roberson and Gibson.

11. Memphis
Team salary will be at $94 million before any moves are made. If the older vets such as Zach Randolph, Tony Allen and Vince Carter retire, Memphis should be looking to replace them with younger players rather than 30+ players such as Mozgov and Deng.

12. Indiana
Teague needs a new contract or else money will need to be allocated for a starting level PG. They already have Jefferson as the veteran center. Paul George is likely expecting Bird to come up with an improved roster and it is doubtful that acquiring Deng or Mozgov would be seen as good moves in that direction.

13. Milwaukee
Already started shifting salary away from the center position with the trade for Hawes. They will have a team salary of $106 million if Hawes and Monroe pickup their options.

14. Atlanta
Dwight will be making $23.5 million and it is difficult to imagine them adding an expensive backup center in Mozgov. They will have some cap space available if Millsap leaves, but they could then opt for more of a youth movement and have no need for Deng. He might also be a poor fit for their style of play.

15. Portland or Denver
Portland already has a huge payroll. Denver has Plumlee for backup Big and Deng playing home games in the Mile High City might not be a good idea.

16. Miami
I can't imagine Riley taking Deng back with that contract unless the Lakers attach some incentive.
They already have quite a bit of salary allocated to Whiteside and taking on Mozgov as a backup center unless the Lakers attach some incentive.

Do you even bother to do any type of research before sharing your ideas?

You have reasons, that doesn't mean a trade won't happen.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 70 of 157
Jump to: