GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
^^ I took it as his saying "its not my fault, the players I was with, I couldn't play well with" What he should have said was "I played about as well as hotdog vomit last year, I mean I blew chunks. Next year I will play much better."
He was right though. For example, he started off terrible, but he soon got comfortable playing with the starters. After November, he averaged 14 ppg on 58% TS%, which is pretty good. It just took an adjustment period of getting used to his teammates.

He was hot garbage when he played with the bench though, especially Clarkson. But technically, that only reinforces his point that much of his struggles came because he didn't have chemistry with his teammates.

Yup. The longer I watch hoop, the more I'm struck by the value of lineups and continuity vs individual guys. I've even started to look at players by how they are affected by lineups (role players) and how they affect lineups (impact players, both positive and negative).

It is how last year it immediately jumped out to me that the two lineups were incompatible, that guys who everyone was hating on were actually quite good in proper lineup and continuity context, that Russell makes guys better, that Clarkson does not, and that while the starting lineup was actually solid, its weakest link in terms of group production was Randle.

Seems like Clarkson makes most of this teammates worse.

He's ok with guys who thrive off of simple ball penetration. So a guy like Nance or Black is fine with Clarkson because they get shots off the PnR, or get to clean up his misses at the rim.

Yep, he needs an Iverson team around him. Just play D, rebound my misses and bail us out late in the shot clock.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Not to go off topic but Carmelo is a better option at the 4 then Deng, better athlete/better shooter/more versatile., etc. I don't think Deng is back next year.

melo is a ball stopper...the worst fit for our young crew/Lukes game plan...PERIOD

Who says Melo is gonna be playing with the Lakers young team? He's likely gonna play with vets that we will get in FA or trade.

stop already...melo is not coming to the Lakers...it would make Magic AND Jeanie look foolish...not happening...Clippers maybe
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject:

I am trying not to hate on Deng. Its not his fault that the FO was dumb enough to give him that contract. The guy is toast and his subtraction will be an addition.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:

oh big boy deng says he is going to shut up lot of people next year.

too bad his body is already retired
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject:

Why Luol Deng hopes to play at 4 if he remains with Lakers

Quote:
Deng sounded aware he faces an uncertain future. Deng basically received that message when he spoke with Lakers president of basketball operations Magic Johnson and general manager Rob Pelinka at his exit meeting.

“They’re going to do what’s best for the team,” Deng said. “I respect that a lot. If I’m the GM, I would say the same thing to the players.”

But since Deng is a player and not a GM, he offered his own message about his role should he remain with the Lakers.

“In terms of my future,” Deng said, “I would like to play at the 4 more.”

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2017/04/21/luol-deng-hopes-play-4-remains-lakers/
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:
Deng sounded aware he faces an uncertain future. Deng basically received that message when he spoke with Lakers president of basketball operations Magic Johnson and general manager Rob Pelinka at his exit meeting.

“They’re going to do what’s best for the team,” Deng said. “I respect that a lot. If I’m the GM, I would say the same thing to the players.”

But since Deng is a player and not a GM, he offered his own message about his role should he remain with the Lakers.

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2017/04/21/luol-deng-hopes-play-4-remains-lakers/

No room for Deng at the 4. Glad even he realizes it
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

He didn't seem optimistic at all about staying with this team.

Meanwhile, Laker fans not optimistic at all about Deng able to be moved.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Does Magic and Pelinka have the blessing of choose to stretch? Or have to use a young asset to trade him?
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

I don't hate Deng at all. He's a good person and was a very talented two way player (was arguably a Lebron stopper at his peak).

I just hate Mitch/Jim for signing him to such a large contract when he was clearly past his prime and only somewhat succeeds nowadays at a position that we are already loaded on (PF).

Magic/Pelinka have a couple of challenges ahead of them with attempting to move Deng/Mozgov.
Chase.button07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
I don't hate Deng at all. He's a good person and was a very talented two way player (was arguably a Lebron stopper at his peak).

I just hate Mitch/Jim for signing him to such a large contract when he was clearly past his prime and only somewhat succeeds nowadays at a position that we are already loaded on (PF).

Magic/Pelinka have a couple of challenges ahead of them with attempting to move Deng/Mozgov.

agreed 100%
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

That's what makes this so difficult in the sense of what must be done: he's gotta go. He's a guy that plays a position that we're trying to develop, and provide playing time for, two power forwards; and they're both young.

Unless there's a trade of one of the youngsters, which I realize is more than inevitable if Magic/Pelinka want to rid themselves of at least one of Deng/Mosgov, Deng is the last type of player we need
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

I agree, read my posts during this year, I was the only one who was cheering for Deng to prove doubters wrong, obviously the season went down the hill, and we started to evaluate the young players, he did have some bright moments but I can see why he might not be back next year considering we might target a PF like Griffin in FA.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Megaton wrote:

I agree, read my posts during this year, I was the only one who was cheering for Deng to prove doubters wrong, obviously the season went down the hill, and we started to evaluate the young players, he did have some bright moments but I can see why he might not be back next year considering we might target a PF like Griffin in FA.

No, IG, you were not the only one cheering for Deng . There were those of us who initially loved the signing. We hated the terms of the contract, but we thought he would at least show our youngsters how to play hard all the time, and be productive as well.

Unfortunately overall, he was great at the former, and, at least in my opinion, came up way, way short of productive, in the latter. In the early part of the season I attributed his play to being out of shape. But I found myself waiting all season for him to give me hope that we wouldn't see four years of sub par play; it never came. He might bounce back next season, but clearly it'll be at the four; which we don't need right now.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Megaton wrote:

No, IG, you were not the only one cheering for Deng . There were those of us who initially loved the signing. We hated the terms of the contract, but we thought he would at least show our youngsters how to play hard all the time, and be productive as well.

Unfortunately overall, he was great at the former, and, at least in my opinion, came up way, way short of productive, in the latter. In the early part of the season I attributed his play to being out of shape. But I found myself waiting all season for him to give me hope that we wouldn't see four years of sub par play; it never came. He might bounce back next season, but clearly it'll be at the four; which we don't need right now.

That is good to know, Deng doesn't deserve the bashing, he's done a lot for the community. maybe he has a 13/5 season next year but obviously we are pretty stacked at the PF position so he might not be apart of our plans.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

If other teams figured last year was the outlier, which I personally don't think is unreasonable given his play the couple years just prior and long track record in general, in the new NBA economy Deng on a 3-year $54 million deal isn't unmovable.

Just to suggest a few options, LAC if Blake bolts (S&T), MIN if Thibs uses the next couple years developing guys, TOR if they don't want to pay Ibaka, NYK if they deal Melo, MIL if Monroe opts in and they don't want to pay Snell and Beas, ATL if Milsap gets a crazy offer, there are a lot of plausible scenarios.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Yep, no room @ PF for Deng..
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

What is interesting is the room could very well be made for him to do so.

The most discussed "moveable" player seems to be Randle. That would make a Deng, Nance, Black or Robinson PF rotation feasible.

Especially if moving Randle is bringing back a quality vet wing or guard.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
tox wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Yep, no room @ PF for Deng..

That is why he talked about his possible departure, best of luck to Deng if he's not back next year, he's probably done a lot for the LA community.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Well... if he wanted to play at the 4 why did he effing sign with this team! ( I know the answer.)
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Deng needs to play PF at this point in has career - and that really only happens (if Deng is still here next year) if Randle and/or Nance get traded instead of him. I don't see Deng starting at PF unless Randle is traded.

But I don't want to hear any whining or sniveling from Deng; he earned $18 million this past season and bottom line, he didn't produce at anything better than a $5 million a year MLE player. With maybe the exception of Brewer at $7 million a year and Mozgov at $16 million a year, no other players under-produced as much as Deng.

So shut your pie-whole Deng

Man up, start playing and shooting like a player of your stature is supposed to play. If you can't, then shut your hole until you can be traded.

Pathetic.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Still can't believe his contract.
dlofan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject:

In Deng, I trust
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
tox wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

The most discussed "moveable" player seems to be Randle. That would make a Deng, Nance, Black or Robinson PF rotation feasible.

Julius Randle, to me, is probably the player out of the current "young core" that I'd be LEAST UPSET if he got traded. I'm not saying I want him to be traded.. just simply saying I'd be heartbroken if ANY of them were traded.. I'd just be a little less heartbroken over Julius than anybody else.

I think Randle has enough upside still (he's shown flashes.. and sometimes thats enough for GM's) of being something really good.

I don't know that he's the right player for this team though. I actually think he could fit in kind of well with Indiana given Myles Turner can actually stretch the floor. #Justsaying

But anyways.. and NO. the point of this is NOT to say I would trade Julius Randle solely for the purpose of letting Luol Deng play the 4 lol. NO. NO. NO. NO.

One COULD say that Paul George is unhappy in Indiana. If they get swept.. things could go even more sour. What if nobody signs with Indiana in the off-season and they end up using their cap space on mediocre players? WHAT if the Lakers somehow miraculously keep their top 3 pick this year? WHAT if the rumors were true about Paul George wanting to come to the Lakers and forces his way here and all it would take would be Julius Randle, the 28th pick and fillers?

There's alot of WHAT IF'S in that.. but not impossible.

I'd say a team of D'Angelo, Paul George, Ingram, Deng, and Mosgov / Zubac would be alot more attractive than what Indiana has. Then, if you throw in that top 3 pick ON TOP OF THAT?
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
tox wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Julius Randle, to me, is probably the player out of the current "young core" that I'd be LEAST UPSET if he got traded. I'm not saying I want him to be traded.. just simply saying I'd be heartbroken if ANY of them were traded.. I'd just be a little less heartbroken over Julius than anybody else.

I think Randle has enough upside still (he's shown flashes.. and sometimes thats enough for GM's) of being something really good.

I don't know that he's the right player for this team though. I actually think he could fit in kind of well with Indiana given Myles Turner can actually stretch the floor. #Justsaying

But anyways.. and NO. the point of this is NOT to say I would trade Julius Randle solely for the purpose of letting Luol Deng play the 4 lol. NO. NO. NO. NO.

One COULD say that Paul George is unhappy in Indiana. If they get swept.. things could go even more sour. What if nobody signs with Indiana in the off-season and they end up using their cap space on mediocre players? WHAT if the Lakers somehow miraculously keep their top 3 pick this year? WHAT if the rumors were true about Paul George wanting to come to the Lakers and forces his way here and all it would take would be Julius Randle, the 28th pick and fillers?

There's alot of WHAT IF'S in that.. but not impossible.

I'd say a team of D'Angelo, Paul George, Ingram, Deng, and Mosgov / Zubac would be alot more attractive than what Indiana has. Then, if you throw in that top 3 pick ON TOP OF THAT?

Obviously that'd be the perfect scenario, but I think that even if he's expiring and is trying to force his way to Indiana, it'd take one of D'Angelo/Ingram/top 3 pick, at the minimum for PG.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, the perfect scenario is Randle/Clarkson and 28th pick or Randle/Brewer/Black for PG13.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 74 of 157
Jump to: