GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

I agree, the cost of dealing him will be high. Maybe we get something done at the deadline but after the draft seems more likely, we can then deal a top 10 protected 2019 pick plus a future pick. If I were a team that wasn't competing (someone like Philly?) I would be all over that. Stretch Deng and hope that the pick is 10-15. I think that could be doable.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I agree, the cost of dealing him will be high. Maybe we get something done at the deadline but after the draft seems more likely, we can then deal a top 10 protected 2019 pick plus a future pick. If I were a team that wasn't competing (someone like Philly?) I would be all over that. Stretch Deng and hope that the pick is 10-15. I think that could be doable.

I think Philly is looking to compete. I haven't looked at the projected space for teams in 2018, but 2 1sts would be an enticing return to take Deng. My concerns are that trading 2 1sts makes it more difficult to trade 1sts if we are in a championship run and looking to make moves to get some vets (Stepien rule).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

I used the 76ers as an example since their payroll is so low and Deng's stretched $7 mil wouldn't hurt them. They have $18 mil in guaranteed 2018 salary. Imagine if Lebron and PG would end up there, they could fit them in.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if Deng, Randle, and 2 2nds is something the pelicans do after they figure out AD and Cousins won't work together long term. If I had to call a mid season trade that would be my call. Cousins for a package like that.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
I wonder if Deng, Randle, and 2 2nds is something the pelicans do after they figure out AD and Cousins won't work together long term. If I had to call a mid season trade that would be my call. Cousins for a package like that.

I think NO has the right pieces now, they could be playoff bound. If they can sell themselves to who dat nation I see them trading only to make the team stronger.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
GonzagaAlum wrote:

I think NO has the right pieces now, they could be playoff bound. If they can sell themselves to who dat nation I see them trading only to make the team stronger.

You are probably right. Plus who in their right mind would trade for Deng at this point even though I hope a package deal could be made.

It's really sad to see $18 mil rot on the bench.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject:

It is sad, and I know my attitude is not very kind to the underachieving Deng, but I hope we can resolve his status by the end of the season.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject:

Luol Deng Looking Forward To Playing With Lonzo Ball
Quote:
Deng struggled for much of the year and is looking to bounce back next season. He told James Walters of the Daily Star that he is particularly looking forward to playing alongside Lonzo Ball:

“I’m looking forward to [playing with Ball]. I haven’t seen him play yet but I’m excited. The kid can play. He has a high basketball IQ so it’ll be good to work with him and see what he’s got.”

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-luol-deng-looking-forward-to-playing-with-lonzo-ball/2017/08/26/
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Deng struggled for much of the year and is looking to bounce back next season. He told James Walters of the Daily Star that he is particularly looking forward to playing alongside Lonzo Ball:

“I’m looking forward to [playing with Ball]. I haven’t seen him play yet but I’m excited. The kid can play. He has a high basketball IQ so it’ll be good to work with him and see what he’s got.”

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-luol-deng-looking-forward-to-playing-with-lonzo-ball/2017/08/26/

I hope he means on NBA2k.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

Is it bad that I'm kinda hoping the situation with Deng gets to the point where his ego gets the best of him that he agrees to a buyout?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject:

I'm glad to hear so many players talking about playing alongside our PG. It is a key position for every franchise and everybody enjoy playing with a player that is going to make plays for others.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Cmon Deng. Get that game rolling.
Deng will shoot 43% from 3 this year as a stretch 4. Muhahahah.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Cmon Deng. Get that game rolling.
Deng will shoot 43% from 3 this year as a stretch 4. Muhahahah.

More like "Stretched 4th" on the depth chart. 😂
I'm not exaggerating either!
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I think Philly is looking to compete. I haven't looked at the projected space for teams in 2018, but 2 1sts would be an enticing return to take Deng. My concerns are that trading 2 1sts makes it more difficult to trade 1sts if we are in a championship run and looking to make moves to get some vets (Stepien rule).

At the moment, it appears that a limited number of teams will have enough cap space to absorb Deng's contract next summer.

Something similar to this:

Eastern Conference
Philadelphia
Indiana
Atlanta
Chicago
Possibly Brooklyn depending on Lin (player option).

Western Conference
Dallas
Possibly Utah.
Possibly Phoenix.
Possibly Sacramento depending on the Zach Randolph situation.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject:

Deng
Ingram
Lopez
Ball
Nance

This could be a good defensive lineup that provided Seng a chance to redeem his contract

Philly and NO are not likely places for Deng

It would be funny if Brooklyn traded for Deng
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Deng
Ingram
Lopez
Ball
Nance

This could be a good defensive lineup that provided Seng a chance to redeem his contract

Philly and NO are not likely places for Deng

It would be funny if Brooklyn traded for Deng

Brooklyn has some expiring deals this year, the biggest is Trevor Booker at about $9 million, but even if they gave us all their expiring players, it would only amount to $14-15 million. We'd probably need a 3rd team with the Nets, someone who would give us another $8-9 million expiring player. I worry that like the Mozgov deal, it is likely going to take a sweetner like a first round pick or Randle to shed Deng's deal.

I think the easier path will be to trade Clarkson for a draft pick and then stretch Deng before free agency next year. They will see if any of the big free agents will come, then decide on who to keep between Lopez, KCP, and Randle. But like the front office ahs said, the 2-max plan will mean they will trade almost anyone to create that salary cap space. So Randle, Clarkson, Nance, Zubac, etc. are all deemed expendable, if it means we can create the space.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:

Has Deng been living under a rock, or in his case, a couch filled with his retirement money? How the (bleep) has he never seen Lonzo play, not even once on Summer League?
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject:

If Deng can resemble an NBA player (unlikely), I think the Wolves would still be an option since they will have the room. If Butler likes him, it could realistically happen.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:

Luol Deng: “[The play-offs are] always the main goal. If you get yourselves to the play-offs, you always have a chance […]I’m looking forward to this year. Last year was last year. I’m exited to see what this season brings.”
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

Luol Deng: “[The play-offs are] always the main goal. If you get yourselves to the play-offs, you always have a chance […]I’m looking forward to this year. Last year was last year. I’m exited to see what this season brings.”

If he can duplicate what he did in Miami we will for sure have a shot at the playoffs
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject:

It's still hard for me to believe he fell off as much as he did. I was one of the few defending the signing, but had no idea he'd go from serviceable to garbage. Was thinking maybe he was just out of shape and out of position. Still hanging onto both of those arguments, but that means at best he's a guy who can't get himself in shape after signing a big contract. I'm also a firm 100% believer that he's much older than he claims. Probably more like 36-37.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject:

Question if the lakers stretch Deng and he is signed by another team is that money reduced from the lakers salary cap or is allowed to double dip. If I recall when you amnestied a player and he signed with another team that amount was reduced from the team that amnestied him
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
Question if the lakers stretch Deng and he is signed by another team is that money reduced from the lakers salary cap or is allowed to double dip. If I recall when you amnestied a player and he signed with another team that amount was reduced from the team that amnestied him

There could be some clawback potential, but probably not much since any contract offers to him will probably be close to the minimum.

65. How do released or stretched players apply to team salary? What is set-off?

Quote:

If another team signs a player who has cleared waivers, the player's original team is allowed to reduce the amount of money it still owes the player (and lower their team salary2) by a commensurate amount. This is called the right of set-off. This is true if the player signs with any professional team -- it does not have to be an NBA team. The amount the original team gets to set off is limited to one-half the difference between the player's new salary and the minimum salary for a one-year veteran during the season in which the player is waived (if the player is a rookie, then the rookie minimum is used instead).

For example, suppose a fifth-year player is waived with one guaranteed season remaining on his contract for $5 million. If this player signs a $2 million contract with another team for the 2017-18 season, his original team gets to set off $2 million minus $1,312,611 (the minimum salary for a one-year veteran in 2017-18), divided by two, or $343,694. The team is still responsible for paying $4,656,306 of the original $5 million. Note that between his prior team and new team the player will earn a combined $6,656,306, which was more than he earned prior to being waived.

If a player has been waived and his salary has been stretched, his salary can be set-off only during the original term of the contract. For example, suppose a player is signed for 2017-18 and 2018-19, and he is waived during the 2017-18 season, with his 2018-19 salary stretched across 2018-19, 2019-20 and 2020-21. If the player signs with another team, only his 2017-18 and/or 2018-19 salary can be set off.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

There could be some clawback potential, but probably not much since any contract offers to him will probably be close to the minimum.

65. How do released or stretched players apply to team salary? What is set-off?

Quote:

If another team signs a player who has cleared waivers, the player's original team is allowed to reduce the amount of money it still owes the player (and lower their team salary2) by a commensurate amount. This is called the right of set-off. This is true if the player signs with any professional team -- it does not have to be an NBA team. The amount the original team gets to set off is limited to one-half the difference between the player's new salary and the minimum salary for a one-year veteran during the season in which the player is waived (if the player is a rookie, then the rookie minimum is used instead).

For example, suppose a fifth-year player is waived with one guaranteed season remaining on his contract for $5 million. If this player signs a $2 million contract with another team for the 2017-18 season, his original team gets to set off $2 million minus $1,312,611 (the minimum salary for a one-year veteran in 2017-18), divided by two, or $343,694. The team is still responsible for paying $4,656,306 of the original $5 million. Note that between his prior team and new team the player will earn a combined $6,656,306, which was more than he earned prior to being waived.

If a player has been waived and his salary has been stretched, his salary can be set-off only during the original term of the contract. For example, suppose a player is signed for 2017-18 and 2018-19, and he is waived during the 2017-18 season, with his 2018-19 salary stretched across 2018-19, 2019-20 and 2020-21. If the player signs with another team, only his 2017-18 and/or 2018-19 salary can be set off.

Ok thanks
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

Has Deng been living under a rock, or in his case, a couch filled with his retirement money? How the (bleep) has he never seen Lonzo play, not even once on Summer League?

I think goes to part of the (major attitude) problem I have with Deng: Both He and Mozgov got big contracts to come here, played 55 games or so, very mediocre at best. Then they are told their seasons are over, and they didn't play the rest of the year. Mozgov to his credit, said he didn't like it, but understood. His exit interview he made it very clear he wanted to play ( a way of saying he wanted the chance to prove he could play and was worth the big money he was being paid). Deng on the other hand, seems gone the last quarter of the regular season. He doesn't show up for the exit interview. Instead of working out here locally or getting his therapy here, he is off with the National African team. Now I know he is trying to help a lot of underprivileged young men from his Country, but he hasn't seemed very engaged as an NBA player or especially as a Laker.

There have been basically two comments from him this offseason: 1. About proving the haters wrong - basically not owning it for his poor play. 2. Looking forward to playing with Ball, but not having seen him play. By extension then, he hasn't seen the summer league, didn't come by to see the rookies. I know he is injured, maybe he is working out privately, and maybe he will be in better condition than he was at the start of last season.

I think he just gets to the part I hate most in the game; a fat-cat player, making big bucks, underperforming, not caring about his poor play, and then blaming others for his plight, and not owning his responsibility. I saw some of this in Bynum and Brian Grant, I hope Deng shows me something this year, regardless if it is his last year here, to show that he really cares and will do everything in his power to show that he is making the effort to earn his $18 million a year; both on the court, and how he portrays himself to Laker fans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 84 of 157
Jump to: