GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 116, 117, 118 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
He should get minutes at pf this year.

Or center
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Once again there is the narrative that Deng somehow benched himself.

All reports from last season were positive He was motivated to play but management chose to bench him the entire season. Not Dengs choice.

He spent the entire season practicing, mentoring and with the team on road trips. Even reports of him simulating game situations during games. Working out when teammates playing and taking timeouts when they did.

None of that sounds like an unmotivated player to me.

My guess is he could easily provide quality backup mpg if allowed to. Not expecting Sixth Man of the Year awards but a solid reserve at SF/PF. I’m skeptical about the small ball center suggestions. But what do I know.

I read that it was mutual. Lakers said that he would play bit minutes; Deng didn't want to play bit minutes.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

All reports from last season were positive He was motivated to play but management chose to bench him the entire season. Not Dengs choice.

He spent the entire season practicing, mentoring and with the team on road trips. Even reports of him simulating game situations during games. Working out when teammates playing and taking timeouts when they did.

My guess is he could easily provide quality backup mpg if allowed to. Not expecting Sixth Man of the Year awards but a solid reserve at SF/PF. I’m skeptical about the small ball center suggestions. But what do I know.

I read that it was mutual. Lakers said that he would play bit minutes; Deng didn't want to play bit minutes.

Interesting. I do not remember seeing that. Comments from early or later in the season?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Interesting. I do not remember seeing that. Comments from early or later in the season?

Came out especially towards the end when Deng was absolutely needed as BI was hurt, Brewer released, and we had Travis Wear starting at SF.

It was reported as mutual. Hopefully since we are likely stuck with Deng this year, we can play him. We are actually trying to be a playoff team this year so his services can come in handy.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject:

It seems like it worked both ways. Like an IT having to start or the like.
Deng should do what the coach wants him to do or resign. That is taking money under false pretenses.

But should look at him at fall camp. And if it seems that he can contribute play him where he fits.

Foolish not to try to use him if he can. If he cannot he should retire with a good reputation. He seems like a freeloader now.
He could go on welfare like the rest of us.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Came out especially towards the end when Deng was absolutely needed as BI was hurt, Brewer released, and we had Travis Wear starting at SF.

It was reported as mutual. Hopefully since we are likely stuck with Deng this year, we can play him. We are actually trying to be a playoff team this year so his services can come in handy.

Did not remember those "mutual" reports. I must have missed them. I do remember all the comments around here and in the Laker media puzzled as to why wasn't he paying down the stretch. Especially since he was at the games and in the locker room.

I do think he can contribute. Just not expecting much more then a decent bench vet when needed, not a consistent rotational guy. Similar to if they were to sign a vet like Frye.

Not directed at you, but I do find it a contradiction that so many are critical of Deng's character yet will overlook Leonard's managing his injury and potential malingering/ quitting on his team because he felt "wronged" and protecting his next contract. Wonder how Deng felt about being benched and the target of snarky comments all season long?
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: How would a 'MOTIVATED DENG' fit in with this Team???

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
So lets say Lebron James calls Luel Deng one night and has a sincere convo with him.

Lebron - "come on big dog, I wanna play with you. I know you can help us this season. Don't sit this one out, do what you were born to do you big ugly ballin a** former allstar m**f***ka!!!"

Or something like that and next thing you know Deng is at the training facility the next morning, spends the off season getting into shape every day, shooting a thousand jumpers a day and fanatically watching tape.

How does a "100% MOTIVATED LUEL DENG" fit in with this current Laker squad???

I think Deng is done stick a fork in him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Did not remember those "mutual" reports. I must have missed them. I do remember all the comments around here and in the Laker media puzzled as to why wasn't he paying down the stretch. Especially since he was at the games and in the locker room.

I do think he can contribute. Just not expecting much more then a decent bench vet when needed, not a consistent rotational guy. Similar to if they were to sign a vet like Frye.

Not directed at you, but I do find it a contradiction that so many are critical of Deng's character yet will overlook Leonard's managing his injury and potential malingering/ quitting on his team because he felt "wronged" and protecting his next contract. Wonder how Deng felt about being benched and the target of snarky comments all season long?

Quote:
Coach Luke Walton declined to explain why the Lakers have decided against putting their second-highest paid player to work, but indicated for the first time that keeping Deng inactive was a mutual decision.

“We have talked about it, me and him,” he said. “It’s what the two of us have discussed in private and what is best for both parties.”

Any role the Lakers could have offered Deng would have been a minor one, and it’s unlikely the veteran, who believes he can still help a team, would have embraced spot minutes.

Walton added that Deng has “been great” and “a complete professional” despite what “hasn’t been an ideal situation for him.”

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/26/back-in-chicago-luol-deng-says-he-still-hopes-for-trade-or-buyout-from-lakers/
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject:

Appreciate the info/link. Article from mid season when there was still hope of a trade deadline move.

Have to love the man's attitude about working with the young guys and being in the locker room. Unfortunate that this did not work out for either party. Changing the direction of the team has been positive except for this lingering "penalty" from past regime.

Still think he can contribute this year as the team has moved from development to competitive.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject:

How's Deng's defense?

If he could play a poor man's Igoudala role even just strictly on defense then yes give him some PT.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject:

Appreciate the info/link. Article from mid season when there was still hope of a trade deadline move.

Have to love the man's attitude about working with the young guys and being in the locker room. Unfortunate that this did not work out for either party. Changing the direction of the team has been positive except for this lingering "penalty" from past regime.

Still think he can contribute this year as the team has moved from development to competitive.

I was screaming for him to play too, but then this came out and it made some sense. Both sides just didn't want him to play bit minutes.

Hopefully we can dust him off and I do think he can contribute.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

Luol
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject:

LakerFan1972 wrote:
If Deng wants to contribute, maybe Lakers should give him time as small ball 5. Lakers do not seem to have good alternatives for that role with Randle gone.

Lakers looking to lighten Lebrons load at least until playoffs, so I would be surprised to see him playing a stretch 5 in the regular season.

I am just not seeing McGee and Zu giving the Lakers 48 mins at the 5. Lakers need to find someone for that Randle role for 15-20 mins.

I get everyone’s negative attitude towards Deng, but why not give Deng a shot? Lakers now in a different position. Priority is about winning now and not developing young players.

How does Deng not fit with tough minded/hi IQ vets like Rondo/Lance/McGee?

A motivated Deng could help a team wanting to get deep in the playoffs.

... if the Lakers can find a good trade to move him, fine. Otherwise, use him.
lebron is stronger than most of the nbas stretch 5's. so it wouldnt be hard for him to play that position for a small amt of time. It would be easier for him to do it than it was for Julius since he's longer. all bron would have to do is jog down the court slowly with other teams bigmen(which he does now to reserve energy.) and box them out, he doesnt have to bang down low on the block with most of these C's today. they dont have actual post game. most of them are not animals on the glass either. so just a fundamental box out and thats more than enough.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

People forget how good of a team defender Deng is. He's a really high IQ bball defender. Would like to see him out there for this final year.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

If he’s cashing the checks anyway, let’s let the man earn his burn. One things for sure, he ought to have fresh legs.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject:

I know everyone wants this guy shipped out, but now that we have veterans does it make sense to give him another chance? How much does he have left in the tank?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
People forget how good of a team defender Deng is. He's a really high IQ bball defender. Would like to see him out there for this final year.

Is he in shape? He has to have some rust and cardio issues after sitting out the past couple season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Is he in shape? He has to have some rust and cardio issues after sitting out the past couple season.

I'm sure there's rust. But he's also been "gently used." Instincts are there.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

Luke has pledged to have a competitive camp and nobody is guaranteed a starting position except Lebron. I think Deng should get an opportunity to compete for minutes.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

For most of the season I was routinely laughed at for not only suggesting that he should play, but that he’s should play at Center. Nice to see that people have swayed a bit to “The Dark Side”.

I’ve been saying it for a while: Deng is much more a center these days than he is a small forward.

Can he play? No one really knows. I can’t assert one way or the other, but he should get a chance, that’s for sure.

The political stand off is over. Turn him loose Magic. Admit to yourself you lost the staring match, and keep it moving. The team “could” use him.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

Really I think letting Randle go opens the door for Deng to play again. At least on defense, Lebron is going to play PF and guard a big at the three point line. Deng I think could be asked to play the same role defensively behind Lebron. Also with Lebron on the team, lagging off the team, would be a lot of peer pressure on Deng to play and play hard.

Time for Deng to get off of welfare, put own the cupcakes, and show his true mettle on the court in game time.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

I want to see how he plays now that we have some vets that fit his age group
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Well, it's been years since he has played any meaningful minutes. Hasn't looked good though.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Well, it's been years since he has played any meaningful minutes. Hasn't looked good though.

He last played meaningful minutes for this starting group:

DLO (rookie)
Swaggy (idiot)
Deng
Jules
Moz.

Not exactly the great cast of starters.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject:

The question is can you still stretched Deng if he got injured?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 116, 117, 118 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 117 of 157
Jump to: