OFFICIAL LUOL DENG THREAD (Must be Traded or Stretched to Sign a Max FA Next Summer)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jesusdelonla
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jan 2018
Posts: 3172

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
He should get minutes at pf this year.


Or center
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 91949
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Once again there is the narrative that Deng somehow benched himself.

All reports from last season were positive He was motivated to play but management chose to bench him the entire season. Not Dengs choice.

He spent the entire season practicing, mentoring and with the team on road trips. Even reports of him simulating game situations during games. Working out when teammates playing and taking timeouts when they did.

None of that sounds like an unmotivated player to me.

My guess is he could easily provide quality backup mpg if allowed to. Not expecting Sixth Man of the Year awards but a solid reserve at SF/PF. I知 skeptical about the small ball center suggestions. But what do I know.


I read that it was mutual. Lakers said that he would play bit minutes; Deng didn't want to play bit minutes.
_________________
We can wait. Do not trade Lonzo/BI/Kuz/Hart. Chase max FA in 2019 instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 3904

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Once again there is the narrative that Deng somehow benched himself.

All reports from last season were positive He was motivated to play but management chose to bench him the entire season. Not Dengs choice.

He spent the entire season practicing, mentoring and with the team on road trips. Even reports of him simulating game situations during games. Working out when teammates playing and taking timeouts when they did.

None of that sounds like an unmotivated player to me.

My guess is he could easily provide quality backup mpg if allowed to. Not expecting Sixth Man of the Year awards but a solid reserve at SF/PF. I知 skeptical about the small ball center suggestions. But what do I know.


I read that it was mutual. Lakers said that he would play bit minutes; Deng didn't want to play bit minutes.


Interesting. I do not remember seeing that. Comments from early or later in the season?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 91949
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Once again there is the narrative that Deng somehow benched himself.

All reports from last season were positive He was motivated to play but management chose to bench him the entire season. Not Dengs choice.

He spent the entire season practicing, mentoring and with the team on road trips. Even reports of him simulating game situations during games. Working out when teammates playing and taking timeouts when they did.

None of that sounds like an unmotivated player to me.

My guess is he could easily provide quality backup mpg if allowed to. Not expecting Sixth Man of the Year awards but a solid reserve at SF/PF. I知 skeptical about the small ball center suggestions. But what do I know.


I read that it was mutual. Lakers said that he would play bit minutes; Deng didn't want to play bit minutes.


Interesting. I do not remember seeing that. Comments from early or later in the season?


Came out especially towards the end when Deng was absolutely needed as BI was hurt, Brewer released, and we had Travis Wear starting at SF.

It was reported as mutual. Hopefully since we are likely stuck with Deng this year, we can play him. We are actually trying to be a playoff team this year so his services can come in handy.
_________________
We can wait. Do not trade Lonzo/BI/Kuz/Hart. Chase max FA in 2019 instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
laker50
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Posts: 1245

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject:

It seems like it worked both ways. Like an IT having to start or the like.
Deng should do what the coach wants him to do or resign. That is taking money under false pretenses.

But should look at him at fall camp. And if it seems that he can contribute play him where he fits.

Foolish not to try to use him if he can. If he cannot he should retire with a good reputation. He seems like a freeloader now.
He could go on welfare like the rest of us.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 3904

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Once again there is the narrative that Deng somehow benched himself.

All reports from last season were positive He was motivated to play but management chose to bench him the entire season. Not Dengs choice.

He spent the entire season practicing, mentoring and with the team on road trips. Even reports of him simulating game situations during games. Working out when teammates playing and taking timeouts when they did.

None of that sounds like an unmotivated player to me.

My guess is he could easily provide quality backup mpg if allowed to. Not expecting Sixth Man of the Year awards but a solid reserve at SF/PF. I知 skeptical about the small ball center suggestions. But what do I know.


I read that it was mutual. Lakers said that he would play bit minutes; Deng didn't want to play bit minutes.


Interesting. I do not remember seeing that. Comments from early or later in the season?


Came out especially towards the end when Deng was absolutely needed as BI was hurt, Brewer released, and we had Travis Wear starting at SF.

It was reported as mutual. Hopefully since we are likely stuck with Deng this year, we can play him. We are actually trying to be a playoff team this year so his services can come in handy.


Did not remember those "mutual" reports. I must have missed them. I do remember all the comments around here and in the Laker media puzzled as to why wasn't he paying down the stretch. Especially since he was at the games and in the locker room.

I do think he can contribute. Just not expecting much more then a decent bench vet when needed, not a consistent rotational guy. Similar to if they were to sign a vet like Frye.

Not directed at you, but I do find it a contradiction that so many are critical of Deng's character yet will overlook Leonard's managing his injury and potential malingering/ quitting on his team because he felt "wronged" and protecting his next contract. Wonder how Deng felt about being benched and the target of snarky comments all season long?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Stumpy25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 27 Oct 2016
Posts: 390

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: How would a 'MOTIVATED DENG' fit in with this Team???

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
So lets say Lebron James calls Luel Deng one night and has a sincere convo with him.

Lebron - "come on big dog, I wanna play with you. I know you can help us this season. Don't sit this one out, do what you were born to do you big ugly ballin a** former allstar m**f***ka!!!"

Or something like that and next thing you know Deng is at the training facility the next morning, spends the off season getting into shape every day, shooting a thousand jumpers a day and fanatically watching tape.

How does a "100% MOTIVATED LUEL DENG" fit in with this current Laker squad???


I think Deng is done stick a fork in him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 91949
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Once again there is the narrative that Deng somehow benched himself.

All reports from last season were positive He was motivated to play but management chose to bench him the entire season. Not Dengs choice.

He spent the entire season practicing, mentoring and with the team on road trips. Even reports of him simulating game situations during games. Working out when teammates playing and taking timeouts when they did.

None of that sounds like an unmotivated player to me.

My guess is he could easily provide quality backup mpg if allowed to. Not expecting Sixth Man of the Year awards but a solid reserve at SF/PF. I知 skeptical about the small ball center suggestions. But what do I know.


I read that it was mutual. Lakers said that he would play bit minutes; Deng didn't want to play bit minutes.


Interesting. I do not remember seeing that. Comments from early or later in the season?


Came out especially towards the end when Deng was absolutely needed as BI was hurt, Brewer released, and we had Travis Wear starting at SF.

It was reported as mutual. Hopefully since we are likely stuck with Deng this year, we can play him. We are actually trying to be a playoff team this year so his services can come in handy.


Did not remember those "mutual" reports. I must have missed them. I do remember all the comments around here and in the Laker media puzzled as to why wasn't he paying down the stretch. Especially since he was at the games and in the locker room.

I do think he can contribute. Just not expecting much more then a decent bench vet when needed, not a consistent rotational guy. Similar to if they were to sign a vet like Frye.

Not directed at you, but I do find it a contradiction that so many are critical of Deng's character yet will overlook Leonard's managing his injury and potential malingering/ quitting on his team because he felt "wronged" and protecting his next contract. Wonder how Deng felt about being benched and the target of snarky comments all season long?


Quote:
Coach Luke Walton declined to explain why the Lakers have decided against putting their second-highest paid player to work, but indicated for the first time that keeping Deng inactive was a mutual decision.



展e have talked about it, me and him, he said. 的t痴 what the two of us have discussed in private and what is best for both parties.

Any role the Lakers could have offered Deng would have been a minor one, and it痴 unlikely the veteran, who believes he can still help a team, would have embraced spot minutes.

Walton added that Deng has 澱een great and 殿 complete professional despite what 塗asn稚 been an ideal situation for him.


https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/26/back-in-chicago-luol-deng-says-he-still-hopes-for-trade-or-buyout-from-lakers/
_________________
We can wait. Do not trade Lonzo/BI/Kuz/Hart. Chase max FA in 2019 instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 3904

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject:

Appreciate the info/link. Article from mid season when there was still hope of a trade deadline move.

Have to love the man's attitude about working with the young guys and being in the locker room. Unfortunate that this did not work out for either party. Changing the direction of the team has been positive except for this lingering "penalty" from past regime.

Still think he can contribute this year as the team has moved from development to competitive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 May 2011
Posts: 2198

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject:

How's Deng's defense?

If he could play a poor man's Igoudala role even just strictly on defense then yes give him some PT.
_________________
Tacos

Formerly known as Nashlight
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 91949
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Appreciate the info/link. Article from mid season when there was still hope of a trade deadline move.

Have to love the man's attitude about working with the young guys and being in the locker room. Unfortunate that this did not work out for either party. Changing the direction of the team has been positive except for this lingering "penalty" from past regime.

Still think he can contribute this year as the team has moved from development to competitive.


I was screaming for him to play too, but then this came out and it made some sense. Both sides just didn't want him to play bit minutes.

Hopefully we can dust him off and I do think he can contribute.
_________________
We can wait. Do not trade Lonzo/BI/Kuz/Hart. Chase max FA in 2019 instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 22131

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

Luol
_________________
👊 2018-19 NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers 👊

Kawhi to Lakers 2018 for Deng + Zubac + Hart + 2nd
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2016
Posts: 2541

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject:

LakerFan1972 wrote:
If Deng wants to contribute, maybe Lakers should give him time as small ball 5. Lakers do not seem to have good alternatives for that role with Randle gone.

Lakers looking to lighten Lebrons load at least until playoffs, so I would be surprised to see him playing a stretch 5 in the regular season.

I am just not seeing McGee and Zu giving the Lakers 48 mins at the 5. Lakers need to find someone for that Randle role for 15-20 mins.

I get everyone痴 negative attitude towards Deng, but why not give Deng a shot? Lakers now in a different position. Priority is about winning now and not developing young players.

How does Deng not fit with tough minded/hi IQ vets like Rondo/Lance/McGee?

A motivated Deng could help a team wanting to get deep in the playoffs.

... if the Lakers can find a good trade to move him, fine. Otherwise, use him.
lebron is stronger than most of the nbas stretch 5's. so it wouldnt be hard for him to play that position for a small amt of time. It would be easier for him to do it than it was for Julius since he's longer. all bron would have to do is jog down the court slowly with other teams bigmen(which he does now to reserve energy.) and box them out, he doesnt have to bang down low on the block with most of these C's today. they dont have actual post game. most of them are not animals on the glass either. so just a fundamental box out and thats more than enough.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 91949
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

People forget how good of a team defender Deng is. He's a really high IQ bball defender. Would like to see him out there for this final year.
_________________
We can wait. Do not trade Lonzo/BI/Kuz/Hart. Chase max FA in 2019 instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
H」M」$TR・
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Apr 2017
Posts: 1317

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

If he痴 cashing the checks anyway, let痴 let the man earn his burn. One things for sure, he ought to have fresh legs.
_________________
🌮 WE 🌮 WANT 🌮 TACOS 🌮
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
george w kush
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 05 Jun 2009
Posts: 385

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject:

I know everyone wants this guy shipped out, but now that we have veterans does it make sense to give him another chance? How much does he have left in the tank?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 17059
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
People forget how good of a team defender Deng is. He's a really high IQ bball defender. Would like to see him out there for this final year.


Is he in shape? He has to have some rust and cardio issues after sitting out the past couple season.
_________________
"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 91949
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
People forget how good of a team defender Deng is. He's a really high IQ bball defender. Would like to see him out there for this final year.


Is he in shape? He has to have some rust and cardio issues after sitting out the past couple season.


I'm sure there's rust. But he's also been "gently used." Instincts are there.
_________________
We can wait. Do not trade Lonzo/BI/Kuz/Hart. Chase max FA in 2019 instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
32
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Posts: 56952

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

Luke has pledged to have a competitive camp and nobody is guaranteed a starting position except Lebron. I think Deng should get an opportunity to compete for minutes.
_________________
Nobody in the NBA can touch the Laker brand, which, like the uniform color, is pure gold.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 1958

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

For most of the season I was routinely laughed at for not only suggesting that he should play, but that he痴 should play at Center. Nice to see that people have swayed a bit to 典he Dark Side.

I致e been saying it for a while: Deng is much more a center these days than he is a small forward.

Can he play? No one really knows. I can稚 assert one way or the other, but he should get a chance, that痴 for sure.

The political stand off is over. Turn him loose Magic. Admit to yourself you lost the staring match, and keep it moving. The team 田ould use him.
_________________
PG - Rondo - Ball - Caruso - Bonga
SG - Pope - Mykhailiuk - Mayo - Newman
C - McGee - Kuzma - Zubac
PF - James - Stephenson - Wagner
SF - Ingram - Hart - Deng
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 2171

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

Really I think letting Randle go opens the door for Deng to play again. At least on defense, Lebron is going to play PF and guard a big at the three point line. Deng I think could be asked to play the same role defensively behind Lebron. Also with Lebron on the team, lagging off the team, would be a lot of peer pressure on Deng to play and play hard.

Time for Deng to get off of welfare, put own the cupcakes, and show his true mettle on the court in game time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LBJ23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 4278

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

I want to see how he plays now that we have some vets that fit his age group
_________________
Previously PG13
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
OC Lakerfan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Jul 2008
Posts: 2387

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
People forget how good of a team defender Deng is. He's a really high IQ bball defender. Would like to see him out there for this final year.


Well, it's been years since he has played any meaningful minutes. Hasn't looked good though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 91949
Location: Do you believe in Magic?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
People forget how good of a team defender Deng is. He's a really high IQ bball defender. Would like to see him out there for this final year.


Well, it's been years since he has played any meaningful minutes. Hasn't looked good though.


He last played meaningful minutes for this starting group:

DLO (rookie)
Swaggy (idiot)
Deng
Jules
Moz.

Not exactly the great cast of starters.
_________________
We can wait. Do not trade Lonzo/BI/Kuz/Hart. Chase max FA in 2019 instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 8590

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject:

The question is can you still stretched Deng if he got injured?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121  Next
Page 117 of 121
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB