GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Posts: 2980
Location: Mukdahan, Thailand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject:

So let me get this straight. The Lakers FO benched Deng for a season and a half in order to develope the young guys. I guess that would be Nance and Randle since Dengs optimal position was PF. So Nance gets sent out in a salary dump for IT and Frye who aren't with the team and Randle was released for nothing after he developed into a pretty good player. (They developed him for NO). Meanwhile Dengs career is essentially over due to the benching and the intimation that he can't play anymore. But yet they want him to take a big pay cut in a buyout so he can hook up with another team that will make up the difference in salary even though the narrative is that he can't play anymore. If they we're just going to dump Randle in the first place why bench Deng last year? They could have at least raised his trade value.

Last edited by ExPatLkrFan on Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Laker's Fan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Jun 2002
Posts: 7964

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Next offseason, Deng's contract as an expiring in a cap space rich environment isn't a big deal. It can be salary ballast for a trade, or be stretched over three years, or traded with cash/picks into space or for a smaller expiring. I wonder what kind of buyout he might be willing to accept if he's otherwise going to be stashed in the locker room for another year. That would effectively be the end of his career. For the math to be worth it for LA, I think he'd have to give up at least $12 million.

Edit: They could wait until after the stretch deadline for this season (September?) and negotiate a buyout, stretching just his 2019-20 salary. In that scenario, he could give back less and have it be worth it for LA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Posts: 2980
Location: Mukdahan, Thailand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Next year is going to be similar to 2016. A lot of teams with capspace overpaying for middling talent and imediately suffering buyer's remorse. Agents will be throwing a party though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
cital
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 May 2002
Posts: 2761

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject:

The dream deal is Deng and 2019 first for Dedmon, but one first probably isn’t enough...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 37218

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject:

He has an opportunity to contribute this season. He has no leverage to force a trade nor contract buyout since this is no longer a developing young roster but a championship caliber roster.
_________________
SHOWTIME FOREVER (118 of 187 Playoff Games)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
24Legend007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 05 May 2018
Posts: 421

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject:

40 games, shows he can still play a little. He has played hard minutes, but he took a year off. He is 33 years old. Backup spot pf minutes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 5218

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:
40 games, shows he can still play a little. He has played hard minutes, but he took a year off. He is 33 years old. Backup spot pf minutes.

As suggested in Emplay's podcast, he could actually be a good candidate for a small-ball center.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 2114

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:
40 games, shows he can still play a little. He has played hard minutes, but he took a year off. He is 33 years old. Backup spot pf minutes.

As suggested in Emplay's podcast, he could actually be a good candidate for a small-ball center.


+1 on this. Who knows, he might be the missing ingredient to our very own death lineup: Deng, LABron, Kuz, Hart (or KCP), Ball (if he shoots like he did against SA for the whole season).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LBJ23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 4303

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
He has an opportunity to contribute this season. He has no leverage to force a trade nor contract buyout since this is no longer a developing young roster but a championship caliber roster.


When has he ever had leverage to force a trade?

This is the Deng thread. Lol
_________________
Previously PG13
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Jul 2014
Posts: 1357

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Deng was a smart player when he was getting playing time, still only 33 like LBJ and has been resting for almost 2 years, so he should have something left in the tank.

if he can provide 7-10 strong minutes a game over 45-50 games just to rebound, move the ball around and collect a few fouls, it would be very helpful to the team overall.

Maybe if we run McGee, Deng, LBJ, KCP/Lance and Rondo, he might be a positive contributor with the vets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 22839

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Since this year is strictly about winning, perhaps Deng will play.
But then again, no way he gets minutes over Kuzma as the backup 4.
And just like last year, luke and Deng may agree not to play Deng at all instead of limited minutes.
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊
One more trade to get rid of the old regime's players!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
unleasHell
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 9176
Location: Stay Thirsty my Friends

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject:

I'm reading a lot of fans would at least like to see what he has to contribute, as do I.

Two points that were not well discussed are:

1. Is the reason he is not playing is that the current Laker brain-trust want to ensure ALL the blame for signing him stays with Mitch/Jimbo? Cause if they play him and he actually looks good, then they look bad for not playing him and Mitch/Jimbo get some redemption?

2. The current Laker brain-trust should be more concerned on how potential FA's view them treating previous FA's and may perceive his treatment as being harsh and unreasonable and thus NOT want to sign here...
_________________
Lakers Rebirth: 2018-19
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 2114

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I'm reading a lot of fans would at least like to see what he has to contribute, as do I.

Two points that were not well discussed are:

1. Is the reason he is not playing is that the current Laker brain-trust want to ensure ALL the blame for signing him stays with Mitch/Jimbo? Cause if they play him and he actually looks good, then they look bad for not playing him and Mitch/Jimbo get some redemption?

Magilinka have proven to be so far ahead of the dumpster fire that was Kupchak/Jimbo that I highly doubt they even care about this in the slightest with regard to Deng.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
trablos
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 May 2017
Posts: 1723

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Since this year is strictly about winning, perhaps Deng will play.
But then again, no way he gets minutes over Kuzma as the backup 4.
And just like last year, luke and Deng may agree not to play Deng at all instead of limited minutes.

I still don't get his decision not to play...wouldn't he rather get a few minutes than racking up DNP-CD's?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 5760

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I'm reading a lot of fans would at least like to see what he has to contribute, as do I.

Two points that were not well discussed are:

1. Is the reason he is not playing is that the current Laker brain-trust want to ensure ALL the blame for signing him stays with Mitch/Jimbo? Cause if they play him and he actually looks good, then they look bad for not playing him and Mitch/Jimbo get some redemption?

2. The current Laker brain-trust should be more concerned on how potential FA's view them treating previous FA's and may perceive his treatment as being harsh and unreasonable and thus NOT want to sign here...



He didn't want the leftover minutes and mop up duty after the young players ate first.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 5760

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
epak wrote:
Since this year is strictly about winning, perhaps Deng will play.
But then again, no way he gets minutes over Kuzma as the backup 4.
And just like last year, luke and Deng may agree not to play Deng at all instead of limited minutes.

I still don't get his decision not to play...wouldn't he rather get a few minutes than racking up DNP-CD's?


It would hurt his pride/ego to be getting leftover minutes rather than key minutes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2015
Posts: 1471
Location: Zürich

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Denver dumped $21M in salaries to the Nets for the cost of one 1st round pick (protected Top-12) and one 2nd round. Although Kenneth Faried and Darrell Arthur may be more useful than Deng, we can expect more teams with cap space available next year.

Just posting it here, to give an idea of what we can expect for dumping Deng's contract next year.
_________________
Lonzo-Ingram-Randle-Kuzma.

Keep them together!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 22839

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
trablos wrote:
epak wrote:
Since this year is strictly about winning, perhaps Deng will play.
But then again, no way he gets minutes over Kuzma as the backup 4.
And just like last year, luke and Deng may agree not to play Deng at all instead of limited minutes.

I still don't get his decision not to play...wouldn't he rather get a few minutes than racking up DNP-CD's?


It would hurt his pride/ego to be getting leftover minutes rather than key minutes.


Perhaps he'd rather be running simulation games in the training room during actual games like he did last year?
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊
One more trade to get rid of the old regime's players!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Jesusdelonla
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jan 2018
Posts: 3502

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Denver dumped $21M in salaries to the Nets for the cost of one 1st round pick (protected Top-12) and one 2nd round. Although Kenneth Faried and Darrell Arthur may be more useful than Deng, we can expect more teams with cap space available next year.

Just posting it here, to give an idea of what we can expect for dumping Deng's contract next year.


43million in tax.

Quote:

Clearing out the Kenneth Faried and Darrell Arthur contract saves Denver a combined $43M in salary and projected luxury tax. The Nuggets now have 14 players on guaranteed contracts and are now $8.7M below the luxury tax. Denver this offseason has saved a projected $90M in salary and tax by trading Faried, Arthur and recently Wilson Chandler in a previous trade to Philadelphia.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 1975

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:
40 games, shows he can still play a little. He has played hard minutes, but he took a year off. He is 33 years old. Backup spot pf minutes.

As suggested in Emplay's podcast, he could actually be a good candidate for a small-ball center.

He’s been reading my post sir.
_________________
PG - Rondo - Ball - Caruso
SG - Pope - Hart - Mykhailiuk
C - McGee - Kuzma - Zubac
PF - James - Beasley - Wagner - Wear
SF - Ingram - Stephenson - Bonga
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 31825

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

FYI:

The 5 Worst NBA Contracts from the Last 5 Years

Deng & Mozgov make top 4!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2783248-5-most-regrettable-nba-contracts-given-out-over-the-last-5-years#slide4
_________________
www.trendydeckpost.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Staccatos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 803

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

I think it's stupid to keep sitting Deng. He's not injured and he's a team player. He's still a legit/somewhat NBA player. I like him better than Lance. Play the dude.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Sep 2001
Posts: 7923
Location: Eagle Rock

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
FYI:

The 5 Worst NBA Contracts from the Last 5 Years

Deng & Mozgov make top 4!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2783248-5-most-regrettable-nba-contracts-given-out-over-the-last-5-years#slide4


I still can't believe we did not get a team option on the 4'th year of these contracts at least.
_________________
R.I.P. Doc Buss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2015
Posts: 1471
Location: Zürich

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
Denver dumped $21M in salaries to the Nets for the cost of one 1st round pick (protected Top-12) and one 2nd round. Although Kenneth Faried and Darrell Arthur may be more useful than Deng, we can expect more teams with cap space available next year.

Just posting it here, to give an idea of what we can expect for dumping Deng's contract next year.


43million in tax.

Quote:

Clearing out the Kenneth Faried and Darrell Arthur contract saves Denver a combined $43M in salary and projected luxury tax. The Nuggets now have 14 players on guaranteed contracts and are now $8.7M below the luxury tax. Denver this offseason has saved a projected $90M in salary and tax by trading Faried, Arthur and recently Wilson Chandler in a previous trade to Philadelphia.


True, but the point is how much it costed the Nets to absorb the salaries. It’s still US$ 21M for a 1st and a 2nd, from their POV.
_________________
Lonzo-Ingram-Randle-Kuzma.

Keep them together!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Travis Bickle
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Jul 2001
Posts: 2779

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
pio2u wrote:
FYI:

The 5 Worst NBA Contracts from the Last 5 Years

Deng & Mozgov make top 4!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2783248-5-most-regrettable-nba-contracts-given-out-over-the-last-5-years#slide4


I still can't believe we did not get a team option on the 4'th year of these contracts at least.


I remember the night those signings happened. There was people on this board defending the signing. What a complete disaster that was.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 119 of 157
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB