GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Deng definitely is not a 3. But a 4 or 5.
And he is a good defender. Decent on offense.

There is no reason he cannot play the backup 4 or 5.
Unless his pride is so great that he cannot earn his money.
I would scrub the floors and be water boy for the money
he is making. And support the team in the process.
Deng has to learn to be a good example to the young.
He cannot just throw money and think he will be
respected.

He can play. Not at the level he once did.
But he can contribute if he worked at it.
Hanging from Rafters
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Needed Deng down the stretch last year with BI injury and Brewer release. If you have a player and need him to play you should play him, it’s on the coach and office. Now if you try to sub him in like Hood and he doesn’t go then it’s on the player. Think we made a mistake not playing Deng. Those were legit NBA Players Deng competed against today.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Judah wrote:
He could've gotten Brewer's minutes and role last season, but he had too much pride. Not playing at all was his own choice.

It was the Lakers choice, he just didn't complain. But as he's come out recently and said, he has more he can offer to an NBA team and to his own team, but that the Lakers just aren't letting him.

Also showed up at practice every day.

Also to be honest if I had a choice who I'd rather have shooting 2 corner 3s a game, I'd probably have picked Deng over Brewer. And if I had to pick the better actual defender between the two as far as Deng vs Brewer, I'd pick Deng over him as well.

So to be honest, Deng getting minutes over Brewer I wouldn't lose sleep over as I think Deng was the better shooter and defender.

So if we had to go with the bench lineup of

Clarkson
Hart
Kuzma
Deng
Nance Jr

at the expense of Brewer, I don't think that would have been a problem. Better shooter for those corner 3s and a more consistent defender. tbh I'd consider that a win/win regardless of his contract, it helps us do better ultimately.

Jesusdelonla wrote:
MJST wrote:

Um, so would everyone else on this forum. So I don't get what your point is.

thats the point. the point was to play young guys and not worry about his trade value. he has no trade value if you play him or not

How about playing the better player? The only minutes Deng takes is Brewers, and Deng was a more consistent defender and a better shooter. So I don't see the problem there. Deng also doesn't cut into any of the youngsters play time as already shown with the lineup they could go for, as Kuzma is versatile enough to play the 3, and honestly plays a more complete game at the 3 as he can play defense there as well.

So, it would have been Kuzma at his most well rounded position on both ends of the floor, and would have put a better defender/shooter than Brewer at the 4 for those corner threes.

So, I don't see the issue.

Not sure why, but it sounds like you misunderstood what I was saying, so I'll try again. Listen this time:

Deng could've had Brewer’s role and minutes last season, but he (Deng) declined. Literally. Thus, it's on no one else but him that he didn't play at all. He could've been playing if he had been willing to accept that role and the minutes that came with it. He said no. And none of this is theory. He's basically on record admitting this.
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:
Judah wrote:
He could've gotten Brewer's minutes and role last season, but he had too much pride. Not playing at all was his own choice.

It was the Lakers choice, he just didn't complain. But as he's come out recently and said, he has more he can offer to an NBA team and to his own team, but that the Lakers just aren't letting him.

Also to be honest if I had a choice who I'd rather have shooting 2 corner 3s a game, I'd probably have picked Deng over Brewer. And if I had to pick the better actual defender between the two as far as Deng vs Brewer, I'd pick Deng over him as well.

So to be honest, Deng getting minutes over Brewer I wouldn't lose sleep over as I think Deng was the better shooter and defender.

Clarkson
Hart
Kuzma
Deng
Nance Jr

at the expense of Brewer, I don't think that would have been a problem. Better shooter for those corner 3s and a more consistent defender. tbh I'd consider that a win/win regardless of his contract, it helps us do better ultimately.

Jesusdelonla wrote:
MJST wrote:

thats the point. the point was to play young guys and not worry about his trade value. he has no trade value if you play him or not

How about playing the better player? The only minutes Deng takes is Brewers, and Deng was a more consistent defender and a better shooter. So I don't see the problem there. Deng also doesn't cut into any of the youngsters play time as already shown with the lineup they could go for, as Kuzma is versatile enough to play the 3, and honestly plays a more complete game at the 3 as he can play defense there as well.

So, it would have been Kuzma at his most well rounded position on both ends of the floor, and would have put a better defender/shooter than Brewer at the 4 for those corner threes.

Not sure why, but it sounds like you misunderstood what I was saying, so I'll try again. Listen this time:

Deng could've had Brewer’s role and minutes last season, but he (Deng) declined. Literally. Thus, it's on no one else but him that he didn't play at all. He could've been playing if he had been willing to accept that role and the minutes that came with it. He said no. And none of this is theory. He's basically on record admitting this.

Really? I'd hate to burst your bubble but....

Quote:
“I don’t know what’s going on now, hopefully soon I will know, I would like to know the answers.

“I know the level I can play at and the decision is something they came up with, whatever the criticism or the plan is,
none of it was my decision, people need to understand that. They can say whatever they want, I know I can play the game, they see me at practice every day. If it was a game thing then come out and say it, but the honest truth, it’s the decision they made.

“I want to play, I want to be a part of something. But I’m not going to be a part of a place where you don’t believe in me. I’m not trying to knock down anybody, but I play for people who believe in me.

I’ve taken every opportunity since day one and proven myself, I’m not going to sit here and give you the right answer, I’m going to be honest about it, for me, if the respect and appreciation is not there then I’d rather be elsewhere.”

-Luol Deng 2 Days Ago

https://sports.yahoo.com/lakers-luol-deng-respect-appreciation-220501107.html

And here's another

Quote:
Luol Deng: "There has been a lot of talk. Me not playing was not my call. This is an organisational decision. People can asy whatever they want to say I respected what they were telling me. Throughout the year I tried to play and every time they said they wanted to play the young guys, so that's their direction."

Bogut has commented on it as well: https://twitter.com/andrewbogut/status/1025289181453475840/photo/1

So yeah....

Last edited by MJST on Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:32 pm; edited 7 times in total
Hanging from Rafters
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

If a player is being paid you don’t ask him to play and allow him to say no then just sit back and do nothing but blame the player for not playing. Put him in when we need him. If he doesn’t go in we’ll stop paying or fine. Based on other poster tho seems like we never asked him to play. Either way the decision seems t be on coaching/office
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Deng leaves out the fact that he played like crap when he was playing the 1st couple of weeks. Came to the camp out of shape and didn't get any better as time went on.

It is on Deng.
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
Deng leaves out the fact that he played like crap when he was playing the 1st couple of weeks. Came to the camp out of shape and didn't get any better as time went on.

It is on Deng.

Um, what?

he played two games in the pre-season

First Game with 9 points in 10 minutes on 44% from the field and making his lone three, the Second Game was 4 points in 17 minutes where he made 2 of his 4 shots and got 2 assists. He didn't play the 3rd pre-season game. Played the 1st game of the season and then didn't play a single game after that.

So where was this "first few weeks of the season" where he looked like crap?

He only played one game in the regular season last year.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject:

CaCHooKa_Man wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUqf9anAL8A

Thanks CaCHooKa_Man!

Love the new logo!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Luol Deng balls out in 2018 NBA Africa Game, JaVale McGee shoots threes

Quote:
JaVale McGee and Luol Deng played in the 2018 NBA Africa Game, and Deng showed he still has something left in the tank.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/8/4/17651478/lakers-highlights-luol-deng-2018-nba-africa-game-javale-mcgee-shoots-threes
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:
Judah wrote:

Clarkson
Hart
Kuzma
Deng
Nance Jr

Jesusdelonla wrote:
MJST wrote:

Quote:
“I don’t know what’s going on now, hopefully soon I will know, I would like to know the answers.

“I know the level I can play at and the decision is something they came up with, whatever the criticism or the plan is,
none of it was my decision, people need to understand that. They can say whatever they want, I know I can play the game, they see me at practice every day. If it was a game thing then come out and say it, but the honest truth, it’s the decision they made.

“I want to play, I want to be a part of something. But I’m not going to be a part of a place where you don’t believe in me. I’m not trying to knock down anybody, but I play for people who believe in me.

I’ve taken every opportunity since day one and proven myself, I’m not going to sit here and give you the right answer, I’m going to be honest about it, for me, if the respect and appreciation is not there then I’d rather be elsewhere.”

-Luol Deng 2 Days Ago

And here's another

Quote:
Luol Deng: "There has been a lot of talk. Me not playing was not my call. This is an organisational decision. People can asy whatever they want to say I respected what they were telling me. Throughout the year I tried to play and every time they said they wanted to play the young guys, so that's their direction."

Bogut has commented on it as well: https://twitter.com/andrewbogut/status/1025289181453475840/photo/1

So yeah....

The only bubble you just busted is Deng’s because what he's saying now contradicts what he said months ago. I'll resist the temptation of bursting yours by not bolding this whole thing and blowing up the font. Tell Deng to get his story straight:

Quote:
The current freeze was finalized before the season in a meeting with Deng and Lakers officials. It was mutually decided that, instead of playing Deng just a few minutes of garbage time each night, he would just sit out entirely so younger players could get the minutes.

Said Deng: "How am I going to help the team going out there two minutes? If you're trying to get younger, and you're not using me to win games, just fill in those minutes with those young guys."

Said coach Luke Walton: "It was mutually decided that would not be the best road for him."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-deng-plaschke-20180210-story.html

Quote:
Coach Luke Walton declined to explain why the Lakers have decided against putting their second-highest paid player to work, but indicated for the first time that keeping Deng inactive was a mutual decision.

“We have talked about it, me and him,” he said. “It’s what the two of us have discussed in private and what is best for both parties.”

Any role the Lakers could have offered Deng would have been a minor one, and it’s unlikely the veteran, who believes he can still help a team, would have embraced spot minutes.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/26/back-in-chicago-luol-deng-says-he-still-hopes-for-trade-or-buyout-from-lakers/

Deng at the beginning of the year: Make me a rotation player or just don't play me at all.

Deng now: It isn't my decision not to play.

You should do your homework before you try bursting bubbles because you suck at it. So yeah.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
If a player is being paid you don’t ask him to play and allow him to say no then just sit back and do nothing but blame the player for not playing. Put him in when we need him. If he doesn’t go in we’ll stop paying or fine. Based on other poster tho seems like we never asked him to play. Either way the decision seems t be on coaching/office

What makes this different is that they don't necessarily want to play him anyway. So if he's just fine not playing at all, even better for them. Rot on the bench (or in the locker room) until your contract runs out then.
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
MJST wrote:

Quote:

-Luol Deng 2 Days Ago

And here's another

Quote:

So yeah....

The only bubble you just busted is Deng’s because what he's saying now contradicts what he said months ago. I'll resist the temptation of bursting yours by not bolding this whole thing and blowing up the font. Tell Deng to get his story straight:

Quote:
The current freeze was finalized before the season in a meeting with Deng and Lakers officials. It was mutually decided that, instead of playing Deng just a few minutes of garbage time each night, he would just sit out entirely so younger players could get the minutes.

Said Deng: "How am I going to help the team going out there two minutes? If you're trying to get younger, and you're not using me to win games, just fill in those minutes with those young guys."

Said coach Luke Walton: "It was mutually decided that would not be the best road for him."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-deng-plaschke-20180210-story.html

Quote:
Coach Luke Walton declined to explain why the Lakers have decided against putting their second-highest paid player to work, but indicated for the first time that keeping Deng inactive was a mutual decision.

“We have talked about it, me and him,” he said. “It’s what the two of us have discussed in private and what is best for both parties.”

Any role the Lakers could have offered Deng would have been a minor one, and it’s unlikely the veteran, who believes he can still help a team, would have embraced spot minutes.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/26/back-in-chicago-luol-deng-says-he-still-hopes-for-trade-or-buyout-from-lakers/

Deng at the beginning of the year: Make me a rotation player or just don't play me at all.

Deng now: It isn't my decision not to play.

You should do your homework before you try bursting bubbles because you suck at it. So yeah.

I don't think you get it tbh.

You tell me to do my homework and then go "but Deng said months ago!"

Pay attention to what Deng said
Quote:
I’m not going to sit here and give you the right answer, I’m going to be honest about it

That means that Deng isn't going to give the PC answer to save face of the team, he's going to say what really transpired.

So you linking this

Quote:

All you did was essentially prove Deng's point.

1) The 'mutual' decision wasn't that they offered him a 'Brewer' role, and he said no to it.

The 'mutual' decision was them telling him they weren't going to play him, because they were only going to play him garbage time, and Deng saw no point in that.

So it seems YOU were wrong when you said "he could have just had Brewer's role, but he said no to it"

When what you linked essentially went with precisely what Deng said

Quote:
Luol Deng: "There has been a lot of talk. Me not playing was not my call. This is an organisational decision. People can say whatever they want to say I respected what they were telling me. Throughout the year I tried to play and every time they said they wanted to play the young guys, so that's their direction."

That essentially fits into the motif, of they told him they were only gonna play him garbage minutes, thus it was decided he just not play at all because that's pointless.

That wasn't his call to only be offered the role of garbage time, that was the organization's call that they weren't going to use him outside of those moments.

Which again, Deng addressed in the link YOU sent

Quote:
“They’ve made it clear that I’m not wanted here,” he said “so for me I’ve just got to focus on what I got to control.”

Sounds like a guy who was offered inactivity or garbage time to me. Also shows Luke going that it was some kind of 'mutual' decision was him being PC. The Lakers gave Deng essentially the option of garbage time or inactivity. That was their call to put him in that position, not his.

So yes, it does burst your bubble, because you tried to come across and say that the Lakers offered him Brewer's role and he said no to it. He just said himself he went to them wanting to play more and he was rebuffed.

Then you try to link me something where Deng essentially says "I wasn't going to play 2 minutes a game." as if you just disproved something.

then you try to say "Any role the Lakers could have offered Deng would have been a minor one, and it’s unlikely the veteran, who believes he can still help a team, would have embraced spot minutes." which wasn't from either Deng or Walton, but the article writers own opinion.

The reality is, that we can take from what both sides have essentially said is this.

1) Deng wanted to play more, and lobbied for it all season.
2) The Lakers didn't want to grant it, and when they finally came to him with something it was 'garbage time' or 'inactivity'.
3) Inactivity was what happened.
4) It was called a 'mutual' decision to save face.
5) The idea that Deng would only either be 'inactive' or 'garbage time player' was not Deng's call, it was the Lakers call.
6) Deng is telling how it went down because he has no desire to be "PC" about it now.

You didn't disprove anything. Deng was never offered "The Brewer" role. He was given garbage time, or not playing at all.

So once more, you disprove nothing, Deng came out and TOLD you what the case was when he no longer has to say "the right thing".

So once more, believe what you want to believe, Deng not playing at all last season, or if he did play it would be in garbage time was the Lakers decision, not Deng's.

So you trying to say it's "all Deng's fault" that he didn't like the choice of "Garbage time(2 mins a game at most) and inactivity." as if he selfishly said no to a Brewer-like role not only bursts your bubble, particularly in light of Deng coming out and saying how it really was, it just shows that you were outright wrong.

This is about as mutual as that conversation seemed to go

Deng: "So I've been lobbying for minutes all year, what's going on with that?"
Luke: "Well Deng, to be honest, if we're gonna play you it's likely only gonna be garbage time. So you can either play garbage time, or you can just be inactive the rest of the year."
Deng: "Those are the only two options?"
Luke: "That's what the organization has decided."
Deng: "Well there's no point in me just playing 1-2 minutes at the end of blowout games. Give those minutes to a youngster or something."
Luke: "Alright, thanks."

Luke to the media: "It was a mutual decision for him not to play this year."

It is what it is, Deng's told you what the case was, if you wanna keep going "it was a mutual decision" and "he said no to the Brewer role or he'd have been playing" that is your prerogative. It will just be incorrect.

Last edited by MJST on Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:26 pm; edited 5 times in total
Jesusdelonla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

so much effort put into why Deng was not given mins, smh

Irony that this comes after randle is let go
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
Deng playing in the NBA Africa game on ESPN2 currently.

he has added to his waist size....dude hat a small pot belly
He will need to get rid of that before training camp begins.

Scientists say that the universe is full of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons.--Unknown
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:

There a reason you keep bringing up Randle? He has nothing to do with this.

Deng would be backup 4 off the bench, that doesn't effect Randle at all, and Kuzma can play backup 3, so it's pointless to try to weave him into the conversation.

I'm showing you what Deng's actually said about his situation.

Deng should have played over Brewer last year and the Lakers gave him no option of playtime outside of garbage minutes. That is the take, and it's consistent with everything else. So unless you disagree with that, there's no point to bring up stuff that is irrelevant to it.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Deng looked a step slower but it was an exhibition game.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Just imagine the possibilities if his contract wasn't on the books smh. His frustration and lies are a good sign. Means he's getting desperate and may take a buyout.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

He also only had 3 rebounds in 23 minutes. It would be nice for him to earn some playing time this next season. Based on the replays that I saw, I am not sure that he is in the shape required to do it.

Scientists say that the universe is full of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons.--Unknown
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
pio2u wrote:

He also only had 3 rebounds in 23 minutes. It would be nice for him to earn some playing time this next season. Based on the replays that I saw, I am not sure that he is in the shape required to do it.

We were #1 in pace for most of the season before Lonzo got injured. Even in Deng's prime he was more of a half-court, system player. At this age forget about it. He's just a horrible fit.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:

The only irony is you injecting shots at Randle in every thread because you were so wrong about him and he made you eat crow.
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
pio2u wrote:

We were #1 in pace for most of the season before Lonzo got injured. Even in Deng's prime he was more of a half-court, system player. At this age forget about it. He's just a horrible fit.

What was the pace of our bench unit in comparison to our starters? Or is that not a stat that they keep?
PlantedTanks
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:

Well these are the dog days of summer and really nothing of significance to discuss. Sooooo relatively minor topics get beat into the ground a thousand times with some interesting pov's. Nothing wrong with that. Of course we could revisit Randle again.

IMO Deng has been screwed these past 2 years. We haven't heard of him being a malcontent, a negative influence on the young core or bad mouthing the front office.

He appears to have been a professional all this time so don't understand why some of the hate after expressing his feeling and his views of the events leading to his non-playing.
PlantedTanks
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
pio2u wrote:

What was the pace of our bench unit in comparison to our starters? Or is that not a stat that they keep?

We were able to maintain pace with slow as molasses Lopez playing. I believe Deng could have played small ball center without affecting pace.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject:

I see the Great Wall or text has transferred from Jules to Deng.
Kemba
Klay
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I see the Great Wall of text has transferred from Jules to Deng.
The best possible result for the Lakers would be for Deng to return to all-star form (or some semblance of that). If that were to happen, a year from now it would be easy to trade him away to free up the cap space for the 2019 free agent. So, Lakers' fans should be rooting for Deng to play well. The problem is that the best possible result seems to be more fiction than reality.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 130 of 157
Jump to: