GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
All four of those guys significantly improve the team. Poaching a Warrior undermines their team (and they have no cap space to replace either KD or Klay's services, with the former being more difficult to replace).

I like the idea of going at them

LeBron/Kawhi/BI/Kuz/Lonzo/Hart vs KD/Curry/Klay/Dray/Iggy

Yeah. I think taking KD from them ends their dynasty, but who knows if KD will want to join up with LBJ.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Basically, the $1.2 mil we saved from the Deng buyout went to pay for Bonga's $1.5 mil salary next year.

Relax. You're accosting the team for a scenario (ONE scenario) that may not have been realistic.

And if they really need an extra mil to complete the Durant pipe dreeam, it'd be trivial to do.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject:

I think Emplay's point about having an additional 5-6m in spending power in 2019 (when many more teams will have much more cap space) is a good one. Would Deng have given up 7.3m next year? Maybe not, and we stretch anyways. Or if we trade, the price for taking him easily starts at one 1st round pick, maybe 2.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
Every dollar does count. Also, it would not shock me if the FO surprises everyone and signs 2 players for 19 per. Players are going to take a big haircut to play with LJ. If we have a good season (which we will), there will be a conga line to join the party.

Who do you have in mind? B/c I take a 5 carat diamond (i.e. KD/KL) over 2 2.5 carat diamonds.

I think he's dreaming of a scenario in which we got two 5 carat diamonds for the price of two 2.5 carat diamonds. It's not impossible, but it is certainly improbable.

It's very improbable. Although not like 2016, the 2019 market will see a bunch of teams with massive cap space. So the top tier guys will get their full max deals and even opportunities to team up if they want at max deals.

Yeah, and the top tier guys aren’t the ones who take the cuts. It’s the middle tier players that do that.

At best, if you wanted to go that route, its more likely to get two 4-carat diamonds at 3-carat prices. (Even that is unlikely).
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
All four of those guys significantly improve the team. Poaching a Warrior undermines their team (and they have no cap space to replace either KD or Klay's services, with the former being more difficult to replace).

I like the idea of going at them

LeBron/Kawhi/BI/Kuz/Lonzo/Hart vs KD/Curry/Klay/Dray/Iggy

Yeah. I think taking KD from them ends their dynasty, but who knows if KD will want to join up with LBJ.

He won't join us unless we beat him in the playoffs.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Basically, the $1.2 mil we saved from the Deng buyout went to pay for Bonga's $1.5 mil salary next year.

Relax. You're accosting the team for a scenario (ONE scenario) that may not have been realistic.

And if they really need an extra mil to complete the Durant pipe dreeam, it'd be trivial to do.

Nope, only analyzing Pelton's take that "every dollar counts"

Basically, you disagree with the Pelton's take that "every dollar counts" because according to you - it's a pipe dream and that extra million is trivial anyways.

Remember, my premise is only based on - if what Pelton says is true - that we are indeed in a situation where "every single dollar counts" and that gaining $1.2 mil in cap space is HUGE. Only if that is the case.

If you don't believe that to be the case, then don't worry. You just disagree with Pelton.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Gepetto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Emplay's point about having an additional 5-6m in spending power in 2019 (when many more teams will have much more cap space) is a good one. Would Deng have given up 7.3m next year? Maybe not, and we stretch anyways. Or if we trade, the price for taking him easily starts at one 1st round pick, maybe 2.

The way I see at it, we are looking for a third real star-if it's not BI or Kuzma, we'll need multiple picks to work with for that trade next summer, after we use the cap-space we've freed up. When the (insert disgruntled superstar name here) sweepstakes begin, we'll want to have a couple of first-rounders AND a young piece or two available. I mean, if things go south in New Orleans, wouldn't you be happy we didn't use Josh Hart & a 2019 first-rounder to get rid of Deng? I think this is a lot more important than whether or not we can continue to hit on #27 picks.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
Every dollar does count. Also, it would not shock me if the FO surprises everyone and signs 2 players for 19 per. Players are going to take a big haircut to play with LJ. If we have a good season (which we will), there will be a conga line to join the party.

Who do you have in mind? B/c I take a 5 carat diamond (i.e. KD/KL) over 2 2.5 carat diamonds.

I think he's dreaming of a scenario in which we got two 5 carat diamonds for the price of two 2.5 carat diamonds. It's not impossible, but it is certainly improbable.

It's very improbable. Although not like 2016, the 2019 market will see a bunch of teams with massive cap space. So the top tier guys will get their full max deals and even opportunities to team up if they want at max deals.

Yeah, and the top tier guys aren’t the ones who take the cuts. It’s the middle tier players that do that.

At best, if you wanted to go that route, its more likely to get two 4-carat diamonds at 3-carat prices. (Even that is unlikely).

There are always surprises every year when we all say we wish we could have signed player x for that price. I am not saying these players are better than the 5 carat guys, but a combo of 2 of them I believe would give us more W's than signing some of the so called 5 carat guys. If you can get KD (LONG SHOT) and KL (to EARLY to tell), you go all in. If we can't get them, I would hope the FO practices due diligence and just doesn't automatically go to the next guy for a max. 38 million can go a long way. I would rather sign a guy like Middleton (who should only get low 20's) and grab someone else than give a max contract out. Some surprise players who might make under 20 (if they want to play with LJ on a winning team are Marc Gasol, Mirotic, Aldridge, and Jordan.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

As many predicted, he's signed with the Wolves to be reunited with Thibs. 1-yr/$2.4 million.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2794342-report-luol-deng-timberwolves-agree-to-1-year-24-million-contract
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:

There are always surprises every year when we all say we wish we could have signed player x for that price. I am not saying these players are better than the 5 carat guys, but a combo of 2 of them I believe would give us more W's than signing some of the so called 5 carat guys. If you can get KD (LONG SHOT) and KL (to EARLY to tell), you go all in. If we can't get them, I would hope the FO practices due diligence and just doesn't automatically go to the next guy for a max. 38 million can go a long way. I would rather sign a guy like Middleton (who should only get low 20's) and grab someone else than give a max contract out. Some surprise players who might make under 20 (if they want to play with LJ on a winning team are Marc Gasol, Mirotic, Aldridge, and Jordan.

Hmm, Klay or Butler or Middleton/Marc or Middleton/Mirotic, Middleton/Aldridge or Middleton/DJ... all for same price
Middleton/young Aldridge would easily top my list but I’d go with Klay on this one (you can argue how close Middleton is to Klay but Klay is better to me, offense and defense). Would a FO trade Klay for Middleton/those player?
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Good for Luol. He seems like a great guy. I hope it works out for him with the Twolves.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Congrats Luol.
I wish you the best in your future endeavors.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
Good for Luol. He seems like a great guy. I hope it works out for him with the Twolves.

Some Wolves fans think he signed to create a positive culture with the team and suggest he might not even play.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
eureca wrote:

Some Wolves fans think he signed to create a positive culture with the team and suggest he might not even play.

$7,500,000 - $2,400,000 is a steep price to pay to go from not playing but live in LA to not playing and live in Minnesota
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

so what now that he signed with another team? we still gonna pay him his money, i know that much, but will his salary go against the cap? i dont really know if you can be on the cap sheet of 2 teams at the same time hence my question. also, what if he retires after this season?

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
eureca wrote:

$7,500,000 - $2,400,000 is a steep price to pay to go from not playing but live in LA to not playing and live in Minnesota

Thibs is on a mission to recreate the Bulls. Luol starts and plays 40mpg minimum.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
eureca wrote:

I know exactly what you mean, but seriously Deng playing normal minutes right now is just a bad omen, is playing Deng more Important to Thibs then winning?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
governator wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
eureca wrote:

Thibs is on a mission to recreate the Bulls. Luol starts and plays 40mpg minimum.

And Minnesota struggles to make the playoffs..
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
cyborgspider wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Nope, only analyzing Pelton's take that "every dollar counts"

Basically, you disagree with the Pelton's take that "every dollar counts" because according to you - it's a pipe dream and that extra million is trivial anyways.

Remember, my premise is only based on - if what Pelton says is true - that we are indeed in a situation where "every single dollar counts" and that gaining $1.2 mil in cap space is HUGE. Only if that is the case.

If you don't believe that to be the case, then don't worry. You just disagree with Pelton.

IF the Lakers sign Durant, they'll make the numbers work. And we're all a happy bunch. Hope we can agree on that.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
eureca wrote:

Positive culture? The guy refused to play 8-10 minutes per game for us and was basically just a leach. What's funny about his sense of entitlement is that even at his best he was only a borderline all-star who never averaged more than 19.0 points per game.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
eureca wrote:

Positive culture? The guy refused to play 8-10 minutes per game for us and was basically just a leach. What's funny about his sense of entitlement is that even at his best he was only a borderline all-star who never averaged more than 19.0 points per game.

Let’s be honest, Deng wanted to play but didn’t because the Lakers didn’t bother to see what he can prove, I mean the Lakers choose to play G League players over him, it seems like the Lakers were done with Deng.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject:

I’m a big Deng fan and he deserves to play. the Lakers didn’t seem to have a good dialogue with how he wanted to operate, hopefully he gets his chance in Minnesota.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject:

What happens to our salary cap situation with him signing with another team?
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
What happens to our salary cap situation with him signing with another team?

Looks like he signed for the minimum, so it helps with nothing. Had it been 4m or 5m or (pipe dream, 10m), the offset would have been nice for the owners pockets but not all that amazing:

Via mxcrunner01 on reddit:

based on Larry Coon's website we would get offset for half the amount that he signs above the vet minimum. If he just signs for the minimum nothing changes, if he gets a 5 million deal we would get approx 1.5 million in relief.

"If another team signs a player who has cleared waivers, the player's original team is allowed to reduce the amount of money it still owes the player (and lower their team salary2) by a commensurate amount. This is called the right of set-off. This is true if the player signs with any professional team -- it does not have to be an NBA team. The amount the original team gets to set off is limited to one-half the difference between the player's new salary and the minimum salary for a one-year veteran during the season in which the player is waived."

question 65 Larry Coons CBA FAQ
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 156 of 157
Jump to: