OFFICIAL JOSE CALDERON THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

*Jose Calderon Understands Being Traded
https://empirewritesback.com/2016/07/15/new-york-knicks-jose-calderon-understands-being-traded/

*Jose Calderon Wanted To Come Off The Bench in NY
https://dailyknicks.com/2016/07/15/new-york-knicks-jose-calderon-wanted-to-come-off-the-bench/
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Lakers: Jose Calderon Ready to Embrace Backup Role

Quote:
There were obviously many big deals and contracts handed out early in the NBA offseason, but one of the sneaky best ones of the summer was the Los Angeles Lakers being able to cut a deal with the Chicago Bulls in which the Lakers got veteran point guard Jose Calderon in addition to two future second-round picks in exchange for the rights to an overseas stash.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2016/07/17/lakers-jose-calderon-ready-to-embrace-backup-role/
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Calderon may prove to be the most underrated player on the roster next season. I think he'll be great for the second unit. Hoping he steals all of Lou's minutes.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Calderon may prove to be the most underrated player on the roster next season. I think he'll be great for the second unit. Hoping he steals all of Lou's minutes.

I believe Cal and Lou will probably be playing together on the 2nd unit.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

I have my doubts about whether those two guys will play together, as there are some serious defensive holes in that line-up.

One of the things that made the Warriors second unit so great was their size and versatility at every position. Livingston's height at the guard position was a big factor in their successful bench dynamic, as he was able to rise and shoot over defenders with his midrange game. He was also versatile enough to defend the smaller guards. Their roster had only 3 guys at 6'3'' with the rest being around 6'6''-7'0''.

I have a feeling Luke will try to model after that, considering they went after guys like Evan Turner, who I think would have been perfect for us. They aren't done shaping up the roster from my understanding.
JH from Hemet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

I have my doubts about whether those two guys will play together, as there are some serious defensive holes in that line-up.

One of the things that made the Warriors second unit so great was their size and versatility at every position. Livingston's height at the guard position was a big factor in their successful bench dynamic, as he was able to rise and shoot over defenders with his midrange game. He was also versatile enough to defend the smaller guards. Their roster had only 3 guys at 6'3'' with the rest being around 6'6''-7'0''.

I have a feeling Luke will try to model after that, considering they went after guys like Evan Turner, who I think would have been perfect for us. They aren't done shaping up the roster from my understanding.

Run Zublock with the second unit to guard the rim with these two vets.

I like the thought of a heavy vet bench playing behind our youngster's.....both of those guards pack offensive punch (which is what you really need from your second unit...you want them to score enough points to keep you in the game while you are giving your starters a breather)
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject:

JH from Hemet wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

I like the thought of a heavy vet bench playing behind our youngster's.....both of those guards pack offensive punch (which is what you really need from your second unit...you want them to score enough points to keep you in the game while you are giving your starters a breather)

We'll see, though that's a lot of pressure for a 19 year old rook to protect the rim. I think they will make some trade or move in the coming month to shape up the back-up guard spots.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject:

I know it sounds crazy, but if he hits the 3 ball at the rate he has done for his career and plays feisty D in less minutes (no need to pace yourself Jose) then I think we have a fan favorite on our hands.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
JH from Hemet wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

We'll see, though that's a lot of pressure for a 19 year old rook to protect the rim. I think they will make some trade or move in the coming month to shape up the back-up guard spots.

We have at least 5 guards and none of them excel at defense.
Our 1st & 2nd team guards will struggle defensively.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject:

We have a pretty nice squad.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
We have a pretty nice squad.

Balanced roster with a coach that knows how to use it all.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
JH from Hemet wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

We have at least 5 guards and none of them excel at defense.
Our 1st & 2nd team guards will struggle defensively.

Depends on the schemes and how motivated Clarkson is to play defense. He's athletic enough to keep up with the best of them, but needs to be coached on the fundamentals.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject:

Defense will be an issue, but I think that Calderon will be able to put more energy on that end coming off the bench versus starting. Also good to hear he is embracing the bench role.

We have to hope that JC becomes our lock down guy because none of our guards look to be good defenders. Actually I think that we might see some AB3 guarding guards this season. He is our best perimeter defender at this time. I know his shot is not falling, but he is a very good defender and that is valuable on this team.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Depends on the schemes and how motivated Clarkson is to play defense. He's athletic enough to keep up with the best of them, but needs to be coached on the fundamentals.

I don't know if it's fundamentals he's lacking or just instinct. He's seems to consistently make the wrong read or the wrong decision time and time again.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Defense will be an issue, but I think that Calderon will be able to put more energy on that end coming off the bench versus starting. Also good to hear he is embracing the bench role.

We have to hope that JC becomes our lock down guy because none of our guards look to be good defenders. Actually I think that we might see some AB3 guarding guards this season. He is our best perimeter defender at this time. I know his shot is not falling, but he is a very good defender and that is valuable on this team.
I would say Deng is our best perimeter defender.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

I would say Deng is our best perimeter defender.

Followed by, just from what I saw in the summer league, Ingram.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

I don't know if it's fundamentals he's lacking or just instinct. He's seems to consistently make the wrong read or the wrong decision time and time again.

That's a good way to put it, and I would agree with it. The next question would be how do we minimize those potential misreads that lead to open shots and failed assignments?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Note to self: do not mispronounce as Jose Canseco
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

I kind of agree, though I do think this year and the schemes they run will give us a better assessment. Defensive IQ is very important. It's what made Andre Miller a reasonably good defender despite his limitations.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Jose Calderon Analytics:

Catch and Shoot: 3.1 PPG, 62.6% eFG

2.2 drives per game, .6 PPG, 1.4 passes, .3 assists, .1 turnovers

5.5 AST ADJ (sum of APG, FT AST, Hockey AST)

Holds the ball 3.8 seconds per touch

Pull Up: 2.9 PPG, 47.5% eFG

Transition: 10.2% frequency, .98 PPP, 65% eFG, 24.6 percentile

Isolation: 12 possessions, .92 PPP, 64.3% eFG, 72.5 percentile

Defense vs Isolation: 9.8% frequency, .96 PPP, 47.1% eFG, 26.6 percentile

PnR Ball Handler: 38% frequency, .83 PPP 45.3% eFG, 64.8 percentile

Defense vs PnR Ball Handler: 50.3% frequency, .82, 43.9% eFG, 49.9 percentile

Spot Up: 23% frequency, 1.29 PPP, 67.1% eFG, 97.4 percentile

Defense vs Spot Up: 18.6% frequency, .9 PPP, 49% eFG, 70.3 percentile

Hand Offs: 7.7% frequency, 1.09 PPP, 54.8% eFG, 86.9 percentile

Defense vs Hand Offs: 5.9% frequency, 1.07 PPP, 53% eFG, 17.5 percentile

Cut: 16 possessions, 1.31 PPP, 75% eFG, 69.6 percentile

Off Screen: 7.7% frequency, 1.05 PPP, 54.9% eFG, 74 percentile

Defense vs Off Screens: 5% frequency, 1.14 PPP, 56.3% eFG, 20.9 percentile

Well, if we could get both teams to just stand there, he'd be an All-Star!

CLASSIC...!
(thanks)
yohanone
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Lou now probably knows what position he is going to play for most of next season because of the Jose acquisition. The bench is still messed up though...
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject:

Having Jose Calderon & Marcelo Huertas seems somewhat redundant. However it gives us two seasoned PG's off the bench with years of valuable leadership experience at running a team.
Playing them at various times for maybe 10 minutes or so would work.

Even though they give us almost nothing defensively, they can mentor D-Lo and some of the younger guys on how to effectively play point guard.
It’ll be a plus if their knowledge and tricks of the trade rub off on D-Lo..
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Having Jose Calderon & Marcelo Huertas seems somewhat redundant. However it gives us two seasoned PG's off the bench with years of valuable leadership experience at running a team.
Playing them at various times for maybe 10 minutes or so would work.

Even though they give us almost nothing defensively, they can mentor D-Lo and some of the younger guys on how to effectively play point guard.
It’ll be a plus if their knowledge and tricks of the trade rub off on D-Lo..

One is a very good shooter while the other is a more pure point guard. It's not a bad dynamic. Just depends on what the team needs, and I think those two will work out just fine assuming they aren't the mainstays of the offense.

I think Lou is the odd man out tbh and I'm surprised he hasn't been traded yet. This is where the Lakers could use a Cory Joseph or George Hill type to cover the defensive deficiencies at the guard spot.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject:

Is Calderon playing for spain this summer ?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Is Calderon playing for spain this summer ?

Yes
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13
Jump to: