Can this team as currently assembled win 41 games?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Who are the top playmakers for this team? DLo, JC, and Ingram? Four years ago Deng would be the #1 option. Now its probably Russell, who played summer league like a less-assertive Westbrook in Andre Miller's body. The Cavs were going under and backing off the PnR, and DLo didn't even want the open look at a 3 in a key stretch of the 4th.

The offense could be run to perfection, but won't generate enough points once the opponent figures they can go man-to-man and switch on virtually anything, should our threes start falling against their zone. We don't have anyone who defenders fear being "on an island" with. The opponents will be able to stay in front of our guards, and thus won't be sending help often, making it harder to find cutters and open shooters.

Whether or not one believes in iso ball or the mid-range J, not having those options as deterrents makes it easier for defenses to gameplan against an offense.

(Side note: very curious how "broken plays" and shot clock issues affect the PPP of iso plays and mid-range shots. If someone gets the ball 25 feet from the basket with six seconds left on the shot clock there is no choice but to go iso. Always felt the shot clock was another variable that muddies metrics...guys have to force bad shots because the defense did its job, and their efficiency suffers. And its usually one of the best players who is compelled to take the "percentage buster".)

Westbrook in Andre millers body? Refused to shoot the 3? NO MID RANGE GAME??? You must not have watched the summer league at all.

The comment on mid-range game was referencing how metrics devalues it (much like post game and iso ball). That wasn't directed at DLo...sorry for the confusion. Though he did pass up a good look at a three on a high pick late in the Cavs game, looking for a pass that wasn't there to the roll man. We hadn't made a basket the whole quarter, and weren't getting good looks.

D'Angelo's court vision is questionable and his pass selection needs improvement, but he is a much better shooter than Westbrook. As a point guard though, he is basically Andre Miller without the awareness.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
this team literally is one true no. 1 option away from being really good this season.

DLO has the heart but i don't think his skill is polished enough

Ingram has the skillset but needs to build out his body, and isn't wired as an alpha dog type

JC is JC, nothing more nothing less, i think he has peaked, but still good value signing though

Randle is the wild card here, but he's game had too many holes last season for him to fill all them up in one off season

basically this team really is just one Russell Westbrook away from contending for a top 4 seed in the west.

but you can't get Westbrook without breaking up the core. Unless he comes as a free agent next summer then we could be in business with another year under the young guy's belts.

yes that would be the absolute best outcome
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Who are the top playmakers for this team? DLo, JC, and Ingram? Four years ago Deng would be the #1 option. Now its probably Russell, who played summer league like a less-assertive Westbrook in Andre Miller's body. The Cavs were going under and backing off the PnR, and DLo didn't even want the open look at a 3 in a key stretch of the 4th.

It's amazing how SPL is used as a sword and a shield.

Player does well, "oh it's just the SPL."

Player doesn't do well, "oh my gosh, it's the SPL."

Again, SPL is a glorified pick up game where 70% of the players there won't be in the NBA. It's chaos, the staff doesn't have time to put in systems, and players are gunning to get attention to get deals as bench warmers or overseas (i.e. Jordan McCraes of the world).

I won't write off Russell for being lit up by a great scorer in a glorified pickup league, but I've known freshmen in high school who would never pass up the open look he had. Wish he had NVE swagger to go along with his (generally) even-keeled demeanor.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

Again, SPL is a glorified pick up game where 70% of the players there won't be in the NBA. It's chaos, the staff doesn't have time to put in systems, and players are gunning to get attention to get deals as bench warmers or overseas (i.e. Jordan McCraes of the world).

I won't write off Russell for being lit up by a great scorer in a glorified pickup league, but I've known freshmen in high school who would never pass up the open look he had. Wish he had NVE swagger to go along with his (generally) even-keeled demeanor.

I see. So have these high school freshmen made D1 ball, let alone NBA ball?

I think you're putting way too much emphasis on SPL ball. I mean do you think Alan Williams and Tyus Jones (or the 25 year old McRae) will light up the NBA?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject:

Russell wasn't lit up at all on the Cavs game. I've gone over every defensive possession that he was involved in in the SL, and there were maybe 2-3 baskets that entire game where he was at fault. We were feathering/soft hedging the PnR the whole game. Russell's job was to go over the screen, while the hung back in the paint. This means that the mid range is open. That's where both Felder and McRae killed us. Russell's job on that was to trail & pressure from behind, and he did that.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject:

My answer is still no to the 41 wins, but let's dream a little...

We've seen systems make mediocre players and teams overachieve at various points in time.

The Knicks were 28-26 pre Melo. D'Antoni had them playing at a high level. They had no stars besides an over the hill Stoudemire, who let's be honest, can't carry a team by himself.

The 2012-2013 Nuggets were 57-25. With no stars, a bunch of role players who bought into George Karl's system.

Almost every Spurs team the last 20 years. Yes, Duncan was a legit Superstar for many years, but the front office drafted and acquired the right players for Pop's system. No matter who was playing, they are always in the conversation for NBA Champions.

The 2003-2005 Pistons. They were very successful for a few years, even winning a Championship with no superstars on the team. You can make an argument for a player or two, but if we are being completely honest, there were no all time greats on their team. Just good players all peaking at the right time, buying into Larry Brown's system.

So this is just a dream scenario post. Maybe Luke's system can bring out the best in our team. Maybe we can exploit match ups and get our team a lot of open looks. I know we aren't a 41 win team on paper, but if the system works, who know? The one thing I'd like to add about this is, all the teams I've mentioned, the players were in their prime, where as the Lakers are about 4 years away, give or take.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

Wait...you dont think Russell has enough swagger/confidence?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Russell wasn't lit up at all on the Cavs game. I've gone over every defensive possession that he was involved in in the SL, and there were maybe 2-3 baskets that entire game where he was at fault. We were feathering/soft hedging the PnR the whole game. Russell's job was to go over the screen, while the hung back in the paint. This means that the mid range is open. That's where both Felder and McRae killed us. Russell's job on that was to trail & pressure from behind, and he did that.

Valiant effort GT. Sad that this good work will go unprocessed by some.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

This is like running a 2-3 zone and blaming the players when you give up a lot of wing 3's and offensive rebounds.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

This is like running a 2-3 zone and blaming the players when you give up a lot of wing 3's and offensive rebounds.

This is like showing how Coach Luke says he loves DLO...but hey, we need the DLO P&M crowd to let us know how THEY feel.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

The offense could be run to perfection, but won't generate enough points once the opponent figures they can go man-to-man and switch on virtually anything, should our threes start falling against their zone. We don't have anyone who defenders fear being "on an island" with. The opponents will be able to stay in front of our guards, and thus won't be sending help often, making it harder to find cutters and open shooters.

Whether or not one believes in iso ball or the mid-range J, not having those options as deterrents makes it easier for defenses to gameplan against an offense.

(Side note: very curious how "broken plays" and shot clock issues affect the PPP of iso plays and mid-range shots. If someone gets the ball 25 feet from the basket with six seconds left on the shot clock there is no choice but to go iso. Always felt the shot clock was another variable that muddies metrics...guys have to force bad shots because the defense did its job, and their efficiency suffers. And its usually one of the best players who is compelled to take the "percentage buster".)

Westbrook in Andre millers body? Refused to shoot the 3? NO MID RANGE GAME??? You must not have watched the summer league at all.

The comment on mid-range game was referencing how metrics devalues it (much like post game and iso ball). That wasn't directed at DLo...sorry for the confusion. Though he did pass up a good look at a three on a high pick late in the Cavs game, looking for a pass that wasn't there to the roll man. We hadn't made a basket the whole quarter, and weren't getting good looks.

D'Angelo's court vision is questionable and his pass selection needs improvement, but he is a much better shooter than Westbrook. As a point guard though, he is basically Andre Miller without the awareness.

The first paragraph is complete BS. The main reason he's being criticized is because he shot too much. Bringing up one open shot he passed up over a 4 game span is completely unfair. His pass selection(and decision making in general) definitely needs to improve. Nobody can argue that, but I think his vision and awareness are 2 of his best qualities. He forces things far too often which are where the TO happen but to me, he sees the floor and diagnosises what's going on at an absolutely elite level for a 20 year old.

You said he plays like Westbrook in Andre Millers body. That's just plain false. Saying he plays like Andre Miller in Westbrooks body is closer to the truth. He's a taller, longer, more athletic, better shooting Andre Miller if anything. Give him a few years to develop the decision making and getting even more athletic and he's got a legit chance to be a perennial all star. Andre Miller in DLOs body with his shooting is a superstar. That's not a bad thing even though I don't agree with the comp.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject:

The pieces are there to make a run at the playoffs, but the team has not all played together before.
If Mosgov, Lou and Deng can hold their positions. Especially Mosgov.

Then the key to the playoffs will be the improved play of DLO, Randle,
Clarkson, Nance, Zubac, and Brown.

It is more fun to be optimistic though.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject:

If we double our wins from 17 to 34, it will be huge, especially as the team may struggle for a couple of months adapting to the new system. If we become a .500 team towards the end of the season, I'll be very happy.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

We've seen systems make mediocre players and teams overachieve at various points in time.

The Knicks were 28-26 pre Melo. D'Antoni had them playing at a high level. They had no stars besides an over the hill Stoudemire, who let's be honest, can't carry a team by himself.

The 2012-2013 Nuggets were 57-25. With no stars, a bunch of role players who bought into George Karl's system.

Almost every Spurs team the last 20 years. Yes, Duncan was a legit Superstar for many years, but the front office drafted and acquired the right players for Pop's system. No matter who was playing, they are always in the conversation for NBA Champions.

The 2003-2005 Pistons. They were very successful for a few years, even winning a Championship with no superstars on the team. You can make an argument for a player or two, but if we are being completely honest, there were no all time greats on their team. Just good players all peaking at the right time, buying into Larry Brown's system.

So this is just a dream scenario post. Maybe Luke's system can bring out the best in our team. Maybe we can exploit match ups and get our team a lot of open looks. I know we aren't a 41 win team on paper, but if the system works, who know? The one thing I'd like to add about this is, all the teams I've mentioned, the players were in their prime, where as the Lakers are about 4 years away, give or take.

You will be dreaming a lot.

The Lakers have improved but it is easy to say you will improve when your team only won 17 games last year.

Ingram is a good addition. But we lost Kobe which did help us win like a few games.

We have a way to go.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

The first paragraph is complete BS. The main reason he's being criticized is because he shot too much. Bringing up one open shot he passed up over a 4 game span is completely unfair. His pass selection(and decision making in general) definitely needs to improve. Nobody can argue that, but I think his vision and awareness are 2 of his best qualities. He forces things far too often which are where the TO happen but to me, he sees the floor and diagnosises what's going on at an absolutely elite level for a 20 year old.

You said he plays like Westbrook in Andre Millers body. That's just plain false. Saying he plays like Andre Miller in Westbrooks body is closer to the truth. He's a taller, longer, more athletic, better shooting Andre Miller if anything. Give him a few years to develop the decision making and getting even more athletic and he's got a legit chance to be a perennial all star. Andre Miller in DLOs body with his shooting is a superstar. That's not a bad thing even though I don't agree with the comp.

D'Angelo by his own admission is very green as a PG. He was not the lead guard at Ohio State and Byron had him on a short leash. Now he is the sole floor general for his team(or else God help us with Calderuertas).

Westbrook is a physical specimen and was more athletic in college than DLo will ever be as a pro. Ask Jamal Boykin of Cal. No player in the league has his combination of handles, speed, and vertical in a 6'5 frame.

Chris Paul and Kyrie Irving were the last two elite 20-year-old point guards in this league. DLo is not at their level; if he is elite, they were gods. He has a nice skill set and the tools to be a combo guard on an elite team, but if we are hiding him on defense in SPL, he may not be ready to lead an NBA team to more than ~ 20 wins.

I stress that one play because DLo doesn't get to the rim easily, and if they go under on him on that PnR, he needs to shoot. Kobe said no one on last year's team will be the next Laker great, and he will be right at this rate.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

Wait...you dont think Russell has enough swagger/confidence?

Not like Nick the Quick, though Nick was older when we knew him.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Yeah, when you don't have the expertise to see what's going on, then you might misinterpret things. I definitely did not know what our PnR coverage was, and so I definitely thought he was getting beat. I'm sure this is true for others.

What annoys me is when people are so invested in their opinion that they don't cede to a more-informed opinion, even if it contrasts their gut. Looking forward to your vid, GT!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
..or else God help us with Calderuertas.

Not cool Sir, because of you I involuntarily snorted iced tea through my nose!
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Dream scenario for next season. we go 41-41. Miss the 8th seed by a tie-breaker. Get #1 pick with a 1.5% chance because the Bball Gods are on our side again. Dlo wins most improved. Ingram ROY. Lou Will 6th Man of year. Luke Coach of the year .. 17 wins to 41 wins in one season. We draft Josh Jackson.

DLO
Jackson
Ingram
Randle
Zubac

Clarkson
Nance

young studs.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

D'Angelo by his own admission is very green as a PG. He was not the lead guard at Ohio State and Byron had him on a short leash. Now he is the sole floor general for his team(or else God help us with Calderuertas).

Westbrook is a physical specimen and was more athletic in college than DLo will ever be as a pro. Ask Jamal Boykin of Cal. No player in the league has his combination of handles, speed, and vertical in a 6'5 frame.

Chris Paul and Kyrie Irving were the last two elite 20-year-old point guards in this league. DLo is not at their level; if he is elite, they were gods. He has a nice skill set and the tools to be a combo guard on an elite team, but if we are hiding him on defense in SPL, he may not be ready to lead an NBA team to more than ~ 20 wins.

I stress that one play because DLo doesn't get to the rim easily, and if they go under on him on that PnR, he needs to shoot. Kobe said no one on last year's team will be the next Laker great, and he will be right at this rate.

Yes I agree he is raw. That is why his decision making needs a lot of improvement but you can tell that he sees things others don't when he plays. Obviously Russell Westbrook is more athletic than him, same with almost everybody else on the planet. DLO has far better vision and awareness than Irving at 20. Irving makes his money with top 2 best handles in the world and elite finishing ability, not vision or awareness.
factorX
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Anon-kun wrote:
maybe in the east
West has been going down. East more balanced. Detroit 8th seed was tough. They went down 0-4 but every game was close. Drummond no bum Now Durant stacking GS team that can't win any more games then they are and OKC will be another .500 team or less. Houston lost Howard. Big? there. I can see us pushing close to 40 wins and that could even be playoff spot. This isn't the west from few years back with 49 win Phoenix team getting knock out. 8th seed is up for grabs for any non playoff team last year. Why not us? I see LA and Minnesota being most improved teams this year

Last edited by factorX on Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject:

krisobe wrote:
Dream scenario for next season. we go 41-41. Miss the 8th seed by a tie-breaker. Get #1 pick with a 1.5% chance because the Bball Gods are on our side again. Dlo wins most improved. Ingram ROY. Lou Will 6th Man of year. Luke Coach of the year .. 17 wins to 41 wins in one season. We draft Josh Jackson.

DLO
Jackson
Ingram
Randle
Zubac

Clarkson
Nance

young studs.

Quote:
Get #1 pick with a 1.5% chance because the Bball Gods are on our side again.

Where did you find the 1.5% chance information?
factorX
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

You will be dreaming a lot.

The Lakers have improved but it is easy to say you will improve when your team only won 17 games last year.

Ingram is a good addition. But we lost Kobe which did help us win like a few games.

We have a way to go.
You said it. When you win 17 games it is easy to say you can improve. Kobe's leadership was needed but that can be a crutch that becomes to comfortable to young players. It was needed but doesn't mean automatically less wins without. I see the biggest improvement this year on defense with slightly improved offense.

We gave up almost 107 points a game. If we can get it to 101 per and increase are offense from 97 to 100 we will get are 40 wins.

With Mozgov teams are not going to get away with much in the paint and Luol Deng is solid on D. More experienced youngsters and a defensive culture change is the way to maximize improvement. The offense can come later.

Someone mentioned that Detroit team winning a championship with no stars. It was the D that over come.

Last year Dallas and Memphis gave up more points then they scored and made 6th and 7th seeds so no reason this team can't be competitive towards an 8th seed if they can reach 100 offense and 101 defense
LoanEase
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Better in the middle =. 5-10 more wins
Improvement across the board from the young guys = 10 more wins
Better coaching and no Kobe Farewell. =. 5-10 more wins
Bonus*. Brandon Ingram develops faster than expected. 3-5 more wins.

Total wins =. 37-45

That's my prediction and I'm sticking with it.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject:

krisobe wrote:

DLO
Jackson
Ingram
Randle
Zubac

Clarkson
Nance

young studs.

I got a feeling Josh Jackson will look like Jaylen Brown from this past season in college unless he fixes his jumper.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11
Jump to: